Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve and PSA Licence

• 03-06-2009 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭

Hey folks -

Having done my interview for the reserve today, I came home to the phone ringing with an call from a security firm with a view to an interview tomorrow and if successful, a PSA course over the weekend. Trouble is, it'll be next week at least before I hear from the PAS about the reserves and as ye well know, the two things clash.

My question is - if I were to do the training course and have a PSA licence applied for, would this in itself preclude me from joining the reserves or affect my being accepted? Would I have until the day I'm officially "recruited" into AGS to terminate any security employment, and would I need to have the PSA licence revoked or could I keep it and simply not be in employment. Or is there a minimum period between cessation of security work and beginning in Reserves etc?

Sorry for the rant - but I'm in two minds whether to go to this interview. I don't really expect to get into the reserves (though I'd love it if I did), so it'd be a pity to be turned down there and to have let a good job offer go by too.

Any advice greatly apppreciated!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Go for your interview. The way things are right now there is no certainty you will the Reserves anytime soon. Also always keep your options open. People should continue to do their courses, go to college, travel etc etc

Question for you: Would working for a security company affect your work in the Reserves? In the fulltime we cant work in security but I never thought of it with regard to the reserves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭Murphy(Cork)

TheNog wrote: »
    Question for you: Would working for a security company affect your work in the Reserves? In the fulltime we cant work in security but I never thought of it with regard to the reserves

Ya goes for the Reserves also

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Yup I checked the terms for reserves and it does go for them also - but that's as much detail as it gave. I don't expect to get it, but still turned down the interview for the job. Mainly because it was in Kildare, miles from me. I'm desperate for a job, but I'd spend as much money in petrol and have a 3 hour round trip so wan't worth the effort if I'm honest.

Advertisement