Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBC Horizon - Eat, Fast, Live Longer

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

RobAMerc wrote: »
    build muscle - with little or no fat gain

Maybe this will help you - http://www.1percentedge.com/ifcalc/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

bambera wrote: »
    I know what you mean.

I was amazed watching this program. If I don't eat regularly, I get really shaky and then throw up a lot when I do eventually eat. (Nothing medically wrong with me, just seems like my blood sugar drops)

To me going for even one day without eating is unthinkable!

Should you see a doctor? I can't imagine this is common
    I have no problem doing the 24hours with only 3-500 cals somewhere in there

• Registered Users Posts: 7,562 ✭✭✭patmac

I started this on Tuesday. I like it as I need to lose weight. I started following Dr Michael Mosely on twitter where he answered a lot of questions. Basically he fasts on Tuesdays and Thursdays 200 cal in the morning and 400 in the evening, 600 in total (500 for women). My wife has a Rosemary Connolly diet book that she uses for the meals.
    I have detoxed for 5-7 days before and struggled, the beauty of this is that you can eat and drink what you want on your feast days. So no problems so far.
    Started of 15st 6ft 1in so will see where we are next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

I watched this show last week. it was great for this guy to loose some fat and improve his cholesterol levels but what happened to his muscle mass? I think loosing muscle = active tissue mass is very bad thing this especially in older age.
    I would be tempted to give this 16/8 idea a go but I work shifts and it'd be just too complicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

We (OH and I) have started the IF 5:2 on Monday.
    The BBC programme came just at the right time for us as we had to do something drastic with our calorie/carb intake.

It was a little difficult to start planning. Made sushi for the first day and vegetable soup for the second. Both days also had fresh fruit salad.

What we won't be doing next fast is use carbs (like the rice for the sushi) because it doesn't give you room for anything else.
    A mug of soup is ok to satisfy some hunger pangs, but one liter each on Tuesday gave us very loose stool the next day. Definitely need some solid foods.

We now also watch what we eat for the other 5 days. Normal calorie intake doesn't mean pigging out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Applepony

Hey guys,
    Started my fasting this week, found it fine, no dramas at all and didn't even reach 500 calories on my fasting days.
    Got my bloods taken and waiting for the results of the IGF-1 so I can compared results before and after.
    Was speaking to a top endocrinologist and I was asking him about the 'diet', he stated that from all the recent research that this plan is the way to go, that it will be the future for a longer life and the weight loss is just a beneficial bonus of the plan.
    Dr Mosley is also on twitter and is bombarded with loads of questions regarding the plan, he is answering what he did if you need more info!

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭farmerval

On day three of the 16-8 diet. Have to say after day one it's been easy enough.
    I'm quite surprised how the fasting is easier than I'd expected it to be. Now to control the intake for the 8 hours is the next battle!!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

I recently read that Michael Mosley has a book coming out soon based on the fasting doc he done. Has anybody heard about this book? I cant seem to find any info on it.

P.s , Anyone here that started the fasting diet any further opinions on it? Pro's , Con's

I recently read that Michael Mosley has a book coming out soon based on the fasting doc he done. Has anybody heard about this book? I cant seem to find any info on it.

P.s , Anyone here that started the fasting diet any further opinions on it? Pro's , Con's
    I was doing 5-2 but have reduced it to 6-1, I feel a lot better and have lost a stone since September. I am thinking of going back to 5-2 in the Spring. I found it easy at first but the fast days became tough as winter kicked in so the will power has gone I am still losing about a pound a week but enjoy my few pints at the weekend.

I have also been at the 5:2 since mid August and lost 10 kg plus. Like above poster patmac I am having difficulties atm. Don't know if it is indeed because of winter or because I am preoccupied with other stuff...
    Maybe I'll try to go to the 6:1 aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Vico1612

According to his Twitter update, the book is coming out in January and will be called The Fast Diet.

I have also been at the 5:2 since mid August and lost 10 kg plus. Like above poster patmac I am having difficulties atm. Don't know if it is indeed because of winter or because I am preoccupied with other stuff...
    Maybe I'll try to go to the 6:1 aswell.

Is it the hunger that gets to you on the fast days? Is it a strict 500 cal for women & 600 cal for men or could you sneak in an apple to kill off the hunger?

Is it the hunger that gets to you on the fast days? Is it a strict 500 cal for women & 600 cal for men or could you sneak in an apple to kill off the hunger?

I drink some herbal teas and lots of water this helps detox as well as keep the hunger at bay.
    On a side note in my opinion this time of the year is the worst for dieting and even the beginning of January wouldn't be the time to start as you are heading back to work and that's tough enough for some people especially in the cold mornings.
    I gave up the cigs in February 3 years ago and intend to go back to 5-2 then.
    The beauty of the 5-2 diet is that your food intake is lower on the non fast days, so I am still losing about a pound a week and not killing myself at the moment!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

I've been struggling maintaining fast days too :) I think during summer months (or at least days when there's more than four hours of daylight :D) it's significantly easier because of the types of food that you'll be attracted to. During the summer I could sit and eat salads for every meal of the day, so fast days are relatively easy as I can stuff my face with all the greens I can manage. But in winter a salad might as well be a wet lump of bog roll for all the appeal it holds. Soup is a good substitute but can get very tiresome.

I've still lost all the weight that came off and I'm happy enough to maintain for a few weeks and get back to it with a renewed sense of determination after Christmas.

No, it's not really the hunger that's bothering me at the moment. I guess it's more to do with my love of culinary delights and the lack of motivation to count calories.
    I am also on a low carb diet, which just is a bit much at this time of year, with the festive season rolling in.

The whole point of intermittent fasting is that you do go hungry, so no apples. When you're hungry your cells start repairing themselves (that's how I understood it, anyway), which will give you a healthier and longer life.
    The fact that you can lose wheight this way is a bonus, but not the objective.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Ant11

g'em wrote: »
    I've been struggling maintaining fast days too :) I think during summer months (or at least days when there's more than four hours of daylight :D) it's significantly easier because of the types of food that you'll be attracted to. During the summer I could sit and eat salads for every meal of the day, so fast days are relatively easy as I can stuff my face with all the greens I can manage. But in winter a salad might as well be a wet lump of bog roll for all the appeal it holds. Soup is a good substitute but can get very tiresome.

I've still lost all the weight that came off and I'm happy enough to maintain for a few weeks and get back to it with a renewed sense of determination after Christmas.

Just an idea but why don't you do 16/8 (16 hour fast 8 hour earing window) during the cold months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Ant11 wrote: »
    Just an idea but why don't you do 16/8 (16 hour fast 8 hour earing window) during the cold months.

That's probably what I do by default - I tend to only eat from 12pm to 7/8pm :)

The 16/8 sounds interesting. I havent even decided if ill give it a go yet but if I do ill leave it till the new year. Thanks all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Ant11

It might help you maintain over Xmas anyway.

I've been doing IF since July, I would never go back to eating the way I used to. I know most people look at IF from a weight loss perspective but as a lifestyle choice it's seems to suit me very well. The biggest benefit for me is my sleep. I don't know how but I sleep soooo much better now. That reason along is enough for me to stick with IF. The fasting does seen to have benefits when wanting to cut body fat plus when bulking its a lot easier to sit down and eat 2 or 3 BIG meals instead of trying to eat 5/6 meals a day. It's also less cooking and preparation :)

Same here. It doesn't do anything for my IGF-1 though. :D Guess I'm eating - by default - too many calories.

• Advertisement

Vico1612 wrote: »
    According to his Twitter update, the book is coming out in January and will be called The Fast Diet.

Book is out the 10th of Jan. Ill look forward to reading this.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Fast-Diet-Intermittent-Fasting/dp/1780721676/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1355943823&sr=8-2

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭danlen

The whole point of intermittent fasting is that you do go hungry, so no apples. When you're hungry your cells start repairing themselves (that's how I understood it, anyway), which will give you a healthier and longer life.
    The fact that you can lose wheight this way is a bonus, but not the objective.

One thing that most people are not aware of is that this cell "clean out" of unhelpful/damaged components is the process of autophagy, which comes about from protein fasting.

So a lot of the benefits of fasting can be achieved through just consuming protein within a condensed window, rather than an all out fast.

A practical implementation would be having a very high-fat food (e.g. coconut milk) in the morning, thus keeping satiation high through the day but consuming close to no protein and so keeping autophagy running, and then eating your protein in the afternoon/dinner as usual.

Just another possible tool for those who don't find IF a good fit for them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

would coconut oil work instead of coconut milk?

i have lots of coconut oil and coconut milk looks expensive whenever I decide I can't be bothered spending money on it in superquinn

--edit

apparently it would!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭tommyboy2222

If you would like to incorporate fasting into your life I would recommend Brad Pilons Eat Stop Eat.

Here he compares his approach with Dr. Mosleys:

http://bradpilon.com/weight-loss/the-52-diet-my-review/

I found it a great read and extremely simple to apply.

Ok so I finished reading the fast diet by M. Mosley & Mimi Spencer. It answerd 95% of what I wanted to know. His web site should be up and running at some stage next week which will help with other info & tips. I going try the 5:2 approach & ill try for the Monday & Thursday for fast days. Im looking forward to starting it. Maybe after a few months ill report back with progress.

Some posters started already. How are you getting on now?

:)

Ok so I finished reading the fast diet by M. Mosley & Mimi Spencer. It answerd 95% of what I wanted to know. His web site should be up and running at some stage next week which will help with other info & tips. I going try the 5:2 approach & ill try for the Monday & Thursday for fast days. Im looking forward to starting it. Maybe after a few months ill report back with progress.

Some posters started already. How are you getting on now?

:)

Not too great over the festive season :eek:
    But no worries, I'll be having my first fast day again this Monday.
    Did the book say anything about consecutive or non consecutive days ?

Not too great over the festive season :eek:
    But no worries, I'll be having my first fast day again this Monday.
    Did the book say anything about consecutive or non consecutive days ?

They reckon non consecutive is best mainly because most people would find it too difficult to do consecutive days. I personally feel I could manage non consecutive days without feeling too bad but I wouldnt like to attempt consecutive days. It doesnt have to be rigid. For example Ill aim for mon and thur as my fast days but if a night out on the beer fell on a thursday I can simply fast on the wed or fri. The book provides diet plans 600 calories for men on the fast days but the website will have alot more info.

Up till now I've had my fast days consecutive. Mondays and Tuesdays.
    It suits me perfectly as I am an all or nothing person. :D
    Anyway, I ordered the book.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭madma

exactly it doesnt matter what days or when,its whatever works for each person.. i kickstarted my detox after new years day with a 40hr fast.. the longest ive ever done but it was grand. going to try do 2 days a week myself but spread out also.. also going to try keep to eating within a 5-6hr window each day..

• Advertisement

madma wrote: »
    exactly it doesnt matter what days or when,its whatever works for each person.. i kickstarted my detox after new years day with a 40hr fast.. the longest ive ever done but it was grand. going to try do 2 days a week myself but spread out also.. also going to try keep to eating within a 5-6hr window each day..

As far as I know the studies are still ongoing to establish whether consecutive Vs non-consecutive are best. But like you said its a personal choice and non-consecutive suits me better. If in the future studies show that consecutive days are better than its a different story.

Advertisement