Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boxer dog - sudden death syndrome?

• 22-03-2010 4:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭

On Thursday evening my boxer dog(nearly seven years old) developed a rather nasty cough. During the course of the evening she was constantly coughing up big balls of mochus. On Friday morning she seemed considerably better, so I wrapped her up well and let her sleep in the kitchen whilst everybody else went out for the morning. When I came home on Friday evening, I brought her to the vet as she now developed problems breathing.

The vet gave her a course of antibiotics and sent her home. We organised an appointment for Monday evening(tonight).

On the Saturday she was getting notably worse, after long periods of coughing she would begin to panic. Her heart was beating like crazy. I rang the vet and he informed me to let the antibiotics run their course and to return on Monday evening(today). During the evening she would go out to the garden and sprawl out on the grass. This was unusual as she hated being left out the back garden, especially during the cold evenings. Was this a sign of imminent death? Eventually, I got her to bed, only for her to awake every couple of hours with coughing fits.

Yesterday morning, I realised something wasnt right. The coughing had got noticably worse and she was struggling, at times, to draw breathe. During the afternoon I coaxed her into having a drink of water and eating a mouthful or two of chicken and mash potato. She seemed ok after that and went for a snooze. Sometime in the late afternoon she went out the back garden to use the bathroom. Suddenly, she started staggering and dropped to the ground(she staggered to the same spot she lay in the previous evening). I ran out and got to her within fifteen seconds. She was unconscious and her eyes were heavily dilated. I got her to wake up after a minute or so. After a few minutes her eyes returned to normal but she was barely able to breathe. I knew she was a goner so we wrapped her in a blanket and made things as comfortable as possible before she eventually passed away.

The vet said she died of heart failure and its quite common for boxers to pass away from SDS. But this wasnt sudden. It was a gradual downward spiral spread out over 60-70 hours. Part of me knew that this wasnt a "normal illness" and I feel that I could have done more.

Is there anyway I could have prevented this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Sorry to hear this, actually brought a tear to my eye reading it. Maybe get a second oppinion for another vet in a different surgery?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭PaulB91

it does sound like you did everything you could, but i would wonder if the Vet could have done more, i feel for you - horrible to loose a pet in any circumstance.

personally i would try to talk to another vet, but i'm not sure if would help the situation

my thoughts are with you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭IrishManSaipan

Anti wrote: »
    Sorry to hear this, actually brought a tear to my eye reading it. Maybe get a second oppinion for another vet in a different surgery?

Thanks for your words.

I dont really want to play the blame game and offend the vet in question. He is one of the most couteous and competent men I have ever met. I am just a bit peeved with myself for not taking her straight back down to the vets immediately once I realised she was seriously ill.

This is my first time with boxer dogs. Maybe somebody with more experience may know more? Is SDS common amongst boxers? Is there warning signs to look out for?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

From what you said, it sounds like she contracted a severe chest infection and died of heart failure as a result. It also sounds like you did everything you could. Boxers tend to have iffy hearts and as they get older their hearts can give out under any sort of stress (like what you described). So sad to hear about such a loved pet dying - you'll be in my thoughts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

That's very sad. Don't blame yourself though, you were following the vet's advice. I'm not saying the vet is bad, but some vets don't seem to always take animals illnesses too seriously, when to their owners, it's very important.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Hermit07

morganafay wrote: »
    That's very sad. Don't blame yourself though, you were following the vet's advice. I'm not saying the vet is bad, but some vets don't seem to always take animals illnesses too seriously, when to their owners, it's very important.

I would tend to agree with this. Ive lost very valuable dogs when a vet didnt listen as have friends of mine

In your case OP I reckon there was not much more you could do. Coughing in dogs can often be a sign of heart problems which are btw rampant in boxers.

My heart goes out to you:(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

OP, just mourn your dog and figure out what you'd do next time around. I'm really sorry this happened to you, and to your poor boxer, they're such lovely dogs.

I agree with what people have said on here about sometimes vets not taking things as seriously as they might otherwise do. Everyone can make mistakes - the vet can make a mistake in not realising how ill the dog is, and sometimes we as owners make a mistake by trusting our vet and not our gut instinct.

I've paid some shockin vets bills in my time because I'll get in the car in the middle of the night instead of waiting until the vet opens at 9am, and more so because I'll always pay the kick-in-the-teeth extra fee for a weekend vet visit (my cats love to get sick on a Saturday morning) - but those fees have always been for more than just the consultancy, because when something's wrong, well, it's wrong.

I've never been sorry for going to the vet out of hours, or going to the emergency A&E vet (my pocket was bloody sorry after that one though), and I've occasionally been sorry that I waited, let's put it that way - but then again I have a lot of animals, and a lot of vet bills, and I spend a lot of time at the vet, so it's a natural part of my annual expenditure and it's budgeted for, so I don't have that sort of 'I wonder if this is worth a vet visit' mental block - I just go, pay, be done with it.

Look, your dog knew she was loved, cared for and made comfortable as she died. There are many, many animals who will never be as fortunate as she was, to have an owner that not only cared while she was alive, but who continues to fret and care now that she's gone.

That's very sad. Don't blame yourself though, you were following the vet's advice.

I should have went with my hunch. I knew something was seriously wrong and that the vets would be closed on Sunday. I should have just brought her down on to the vets on the Saturday. Shoulda, woulda, coulda, head melting stuff.
    I'm not saying the vet is bad, but some vets don't seem to always take animals illnesses too seriously, when to their owners, it's very important.

I am reluctant to point the finger at the vet. As I said, he was one of the most competent and courteous men I have ever encountered. She was in and out of the vets on a regular basis with niggly injuries and illnesses. So much so, that she was on the vets Christmas card list. Maybe he could have done more, who knows now.

For her to die in my arms yesterday was one of the most heartbreaking things I ever had to do. At times, she drove me up the wall. Jumping all over me at 7am and slabbering over my work clothes. But Id give me right arm for her to be able to do that again tomorrow morning.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Don't blame yourself I have 2 mates that had boxers and both of them died in very similar circumstances, sorry to hear, they are great companions..

Would a smoker in the house be a contributing factor?

I recently allowed a mate who has fallen on hard times crash at my place until he gets back on his feet. He smokes like a trooper in his room. Would that have an effect?

• Advertisement

bryaner wrote: »
    Don't blame yourself I have 2 mates that had boxers and both of them died in very similar circumstances, sorry to hear, they are great companions..

Thanks for your words.

Were they a similar age? My pooch would have been seven next month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

A friend of our family's boxer collapsed on Dollymount Beach one night while they were out for a walk. He said that the dog was dead before he hit the ground. He even tried to resusate(sp) him but to no avail.

Also, a lad that I worked with. He lost a boxer that was only about 2. So terrible losing a dog that young. It would break my heart.

Its these dodgy breeders that can count themselves responsible for screwing up the gene pool of these poor dogs just to make a quick buck.

Just be thankful that your girl was in her home being well looked after and with people doing their best for her. She was probably going outside as it was easier to breathe.
    She sounds like she had a n amazing life living with you so pat yourself on the back because to her you were the best owner in the world!!:)

Have you asked for an autopsy on her? It won't change anything now but might give you a heads up with underlying conditions if you were ever going to get another boxer.

I hope you're ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

From what you said, it sounds like she contracted a severe chest infection

The coughing is a sign of heart failure. Not that you could expect the OP to know that, but I think the vet should have been aware.

A friend of our family's boxer collapsed on Dollymount Beach one night while they were out for a walk. He said that the dog was dead before he hit the ground. He even tried to resusate(sp) him but to no avail.

Jesus. Boxers are reknowned for their weak tickers.:mad:
    Its these dodgy breeders that can count themselves responsible for screwing up the gene pool of these poor dogs just to make a quick buck.

Never a truer word spoken.

Have you asked for an autopsy on her? It won't change anything now but might give you a heads up with underlying conditions if you were ever going to get another boxer.

No, the vet gave us three options.

1- Bury her in our back garden.
    2- Send her to the crematorioum.
    3- Get her cremated and pick up her urn in due course.

He never mentioned an autopsy and was quick to make the three suggestions. Is that strange? I am starting to feel a bit fobbed off.
    I hope you're ok.

I am getting there. Every time I open the front door I get a shock to see her empty bed. I expect to have her jumping all over me once I am in the door.

Thanks for your words:)

olaola wrote: »
    The coughing is a sign of heart failure. Not that you could expect the OP to know that, but I think the vet should have been aware.

She was a relatively healthy dog. She tore her ligaments once whilst out on a run(she turned too quickly while sprinting around the park). But apart from that she just picked up niggly little illnesses and injuries. If her condition was spotted early enough, could she have recovered and have enjoyed a reasonable standard of living?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,904 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

So sorry to hear of your loss, we've just got a boxer, she's just coming up to 6 months, i know that if we lost her now i'd be devastated.

Don't really know what else to say :(

scudzilla wrote: »
    So sorry to hear of your loss, we've just got a boxer, she's just coming up to 6 months, i know that if we lost her now i'd be devastated.

Beautiful dogs, arent they? Not the brightest, but the cutest and most loyal. When our first "genius" came home to us as a pup she used to go out the back to do her business and sprint back in head first into the glass patio door(see through). We had to sellotape circular black stickers onto the backdoor so she would know when it was shut or open.:)

Ive been looking up health defects that boxers suffer from. This article might be helpful reading for you and your pup. Just wish I read it earlier.

http://americanboxerclub.org/purina2.html

Heres a few pics, I hope the mods dont mind.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48173691@N08/show/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

Sorry for your lose. As said before you did all you could.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭tazwaz

my heart is broken thinking of what you have gone through. all i can say is thankfully you got the chance to say goodbye.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,795 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I have had four Boxers. You did nothing wrong. One of mine (9 years old) dropped dead whilst trying to steal catfood - a great way to go. One (10) died in his sleep - his heart had been bad for a while & he just ground to a stop. Two of mine had similar symptoms to yours.

Usually the coughing & uneasiness on the feet stage is accompanied by a palpitation & irregular heartbeat. Even if this is diagnosed there is little that you can do. My last boxer was a bit unsteady & the arrival of a gorgeous young greyhound bitch tipped him over the edge. The Vet said that he died happy - a bit like an old man pulling a young woman.

They are wonderful dogs. They live life at the max & often die rather than getting old. I used to joke to my neighbour that one day they would see me walking him down the road & carrying him back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

My heart is genuinely breaking for you -I know what it is to lose a much loved pet. I lost my 15 years old cat two years ago and am still heartbroken.
    My sister had two boxers, which she bred. The female was Star and the male was Bruno. After Star's first pup was born it became clear there was a problem as labour stopped. She was taken to the vet who gave her an injection that he said would start labour very soon again - but it didn't. So she had a ceasarean. She had a litter of 15 beautiful puppies. But, within 12 hours things started to go wrong and they began to stiffen up, stop breathing and die. We kept a 24 hour vigil and, if we found a pup beginning to stiffen, we would gently rub its chest and it would come back. We even fostered five of them out to a lactating bitch in case there was a problem with our dog after the operation. To make a long story short, we lost all 15 puppies, despite doing everything humanly possible to save them. At one stage they were lined up waiting for burial, it was happening that fast. It was truly awful.
    Then, infection set in with Star. We rushed her to the vet who tried to save her but she died too, from heart failure. She was the most beautiful creature - so kind and gentle. Bruno was heartbroken - he howled and howled all night long for nights on end. In the end, my sister decided he needed a companion so she gave him to a local man who also had boxers. Slowly he came back to himself.
    Like the OP, I always wonder if we could have done more. But we took it in shifts to be with mother and babies and still it was not enough.
    My sister didn't have an autopsy carried out either - she was too distraught at the time and then it was too late to do it.
    To the OP, I know how awful you feel right now - only an animal lover will truly understand. But it will get easier - it took me a long time to accept that. I now have a little rescue dog called Millie and, although I miss my cat every single day, she is now the light of my life. My sister has a West Highland terrier, she has always been afraid to get a boxer since, but she loves her dog too.
    I posted a tribute to my cat on a website called petloss.com. It felt good to do it and I often look at it. Maybe it would help you too.
    Best of luck. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 tonycruz

Dear All

My beloved Boxer ''King'' died.
    He start to get sick by 12 am on Tuesday the 16th (2 days ago) i thought it was just something he had ate...you all know boxers...They pick everything from everywhere....
    By 10 am after an horrifying night i drove him to the local vet and he was D.O.A.
    His heart didnt make it.
    He was my friend and companion for 10 years ,he was the one waking me up with a wing or a lick ,he was my personal ''body guard'' when i was alone at home , and most of all he was My Dog. my beloved Dog.
    I m writing in here and crying (not very normal on a 55 year old man) but my heart is bleeding.
    Everywhere i look in this empty house i see him , and hes not there.
    I am sad and frustrated ,just 3 days ago we were walking together in the park and he was alright.
    I am so sorry to bother you all but i do know that all of you are animal lovers and therefore understand my pain.
    You see...''some'' people will just say ''c'mon tony it was just a dog''
    NO , he was not just a dog , he was mY friend ,my companion and he loved me every minute we were together which is more then i can say for a lot of people i know and helped before.
    my heart is broken and i ask you all to forgive me for this but i had to get out of my system

God bless you all and all your loved ones.

a.Cruz

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭lrushe

Tony,
    Very sorry to hear about your beloved King, take solace in knowing you gave him 10 good years. If you have time look up the story of Rainbow Bridge, it has helped me when my dogs have passed.
    Best wishes!

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

R.I.P king

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭tazwaz

tony, i am so sorry for you. my own dog passed away this summer so i know how you feeling. all i can say is that it gets easier,but you must allow yourself to grieve. i must have cried for a full month, i'd be in bed (he'd normally slept on our bed) and i'd reach down to pet him and suddenly realise he wasnt there and i'd be crying again!! anything would have set me off, thankfully some of my friends were very understanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭kinvara64

Sorry to hear of your loss. He was a very lucky dog to have had you as his master. take care .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Very sorry to hear life is very hard by times, R.I.P King

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I think this little quote sums it up :(
    wrote:
    "We who choose to surround ourselves
    with lives even more temporary than our
    own, live within a fragile circle;
    easily and often breached.
    Unable to accept its awful gaps,
    we would still live no other way."
    — Irving Townsend

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭carleigh

Tony,
    so sorry to hear about King. I'm sure you gave him the best 10 years that he could have wished for. He may not be here with you now, but you will carry him in your heart forever. R.I.P. King

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

Tony, your message has knocked me for six and my heart is breaking for you. God, how I know what you are feeling - the loss, the emptiness, the lonliness - I too have been there.
    Someone above said to you to look and Rainbow Bridge - I did and, although I could hardly read it through my sobbing, it did manage to reach my heart whcih very little else did at the time. I also found comfort on www.petloss.com where others who were going through the same thing helped me along.
    All I can say to you Tony is that I will say a prayer for strength for you and I truly wish that I could wrap my arms around you and give you some of the strength that I eventually found.
    You beloved King is happy - always know that. And take care of yourself. X

Advertisement