Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless IP Surveillance Camera - €38.77

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭bikerboy_ie

Hmmmm, Wan-SCAM!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

It's a clone of the FosCam FI8918W or better FosCam FI8910W.

I've a Foscam FI8918W and it's grand.

Make sure you can turn off the IR LEDS, or else you won't be able to use it looking out the window at nighttime as the IR light with reflect back. (bad glare like the sun shining directly at it).

If you're using it to monitor a driveway or the like, don't expect much from 640x480 resolution, and it doesn't record anything.

My FosCam only sends 5 photos when it detects motion, but it's motion detect is sensitive to light changes, eg. sun going in/out behind the clouds. So you can get "spammed" by it, sending 50+ e-mails a day to you. I even had GMail temporarily stop my account for so much activity, but they reinstated it within an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

you will have to pay VAT on it when they come to deliver it,ups delivered it to me,had to pay 25 euro vat as I pourchased two. I bought one before christmas, still trying to figure out how to set it up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

did u get outdoor or indoor ones?

I am looking for 2 outdoor ones

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

• Advertisement

brightkane wrote: »
    did u get outdoor or indoor ones?

I am looking for 2 outdoor ones

I got both the Wanscam - Wireless Night Vision Outdoor IP Camera (Waterproof, IR 20M) and the Wanscam - Wireless IP Surveillance Camera with Angle Control (Motion Detection, Night Vision, Free DDNS). Too be honest I haven't tried very hard to set them up, hadnt the time, just tried it a few times on laptop, but my laptop isnt working the best so could be the reason why it wouldnt set up for me. I am going to try it on my main pc. The outdoor one seems good, just have to set it up. think i paid 40euro online for it, for the two,the whole lot came to 100 including the VAT,75 and 25 vat!I saw similar one in power city and it was 79 for the indoor one alone.so seems good deal.

wheres did u purchase bri?

wheres did u purchase bri?

I got them from lightinthebox.com, check that one on ebay as well,as the other person mentioned,might get a better deal on it.

ye it looks good,make sure to read the reivews on it and google it as well before you purchase it,just to be sure! for the price of them you cant go wrong, for what i got i was getting all sorts of crazy prices in the shops here for what i wanted,so im happy enough.just have to set them up:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

If you want to setup recording Zoneminder is pretty good (and free):

http://www.zoneminder.com/screenshots

Just need a cheap linux box somewhere in the house, maybe that HP server that was going a while ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I was looking to get one as the neighbours keep letting their dogs into our garden but mam insists that she heard it that it was illegal to put them up yourself on Joe Duffy, anyone know anything about that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

GarIT wrote: »
    I was looking to get one as the neighbours keep letting their dogs into our garden but mam insists that she heard it that it was illegal to put them up yourself on Joe Duffy, anyone know anything about that?

You have every right to record anything on your own property.

I think it starts straying into a legal issue if your camera is recording your neighbours property. Not sure about public streets... but imagine they're fine as there's internet webcams all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭eamonnq

If you're using it to monitor a driveway or the like, don't expect much from 640x480 resolution, and it doesn't record anything.

Am fairly sure that the software that comes with it allows recording but you have to leave the computer with the software on it on all the time (or at least when you want it to record.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭GalwayGaillimh

What do you think of the spec of this one from RF Concepts
    Would it be any good for night time covering the drive from the porch?

Avermedia SF1301 1.3 Megapixel

Device
    1/4 inch CMOS
    Effective Pixels
    1280 x 1024
    Min. scence illumination
    0.5 Lux
    F/No
    F2.8
    Focus Length
    f4.5mm
    Compression
    MPEG4/MJPEG dual format compression simultaneously
    Multi-profile
    Support 4 video streams simultaneously
    Picture Resolution
    1280x1024;1024x768;640x480;512x384;320x240;160x120
    Bit Rate
    IE browser- 900K, 1M, 1.25M, 1.5M, 1.75M, 2M
    Mobile Video- 64K, 128K, 192K, 256K, 320K, 384K, 448K, 512K
    Image Frame Rate
    10 fps at 1280x1024 / 30 fps at 640x480
    Black/White mode
    Yes
    Digital Zoom
    16X
    Mirror
    Vertical mirror/ Horizontal mirror
    Compression
    AMR/ADPCM
    Built-in Microphone
    Sensitivity -42dB +/- 3dB (5 Meters distance min.); S/N Ratio: more than 58 dB; Directivity Omni-directional
    Frequency Response
    50~16000HZ
    Audio Line Output
    Output Line-out For external speaker
    Pre-recording/
    Post-recording
    0~15 seconds/ 0~15 seconds
    Overwrite
    Enable/disable
    Recording mode
    Continuous/Event/Motion Detection
    System Log
    Up to 500 items stored in flash
    Ethernet
    Ethernet (10/100 Mbps Fast) , RJ-45 connector
    Protocol
    IPV4, ARP, TCP, UDP, ICMP,DHCP,NTP,DNS,DDNS,SMTP,FTP,HTTP,
    Samba,PPPoE,UPnP,RTP,RTCP,RTSP
    Auto-MDIX
    Yes
    3GPP
    Audio codec/AMR
    Video codec/MPEG4
    Protocol/RTSP,RTP
    WPS (WiFi Protected Setup)
    No
    Web Browser
    IE 7.0/FireFox 2.0.7/Safari 3.2.2 or above
    User account
    Up to 20 users
    Security
    Password protection: configured by the administrator
    Temperature and humidity
    -15~60℃ (Storage), 90% humidity /
    0~40℃(Operating),85% humidity
    Power Consumption
    6W (DC 5V)
    Dimensions (WxHxD)
    71mm x 44mm x 133mm
    Weight
    136 g (w/o bracket)
    Indoor/Outdoor
    Indoor
    Bundled Accessory
    Bracket

Si Deus Nobiscum Qui Contra Nos

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭clint_silver

You have every right to record anything on your own property.

I think it starts straying into a legal issue if your camera is recording your neighbours property. Not sure about public streets... but imagine they're fine as there's internet webcams all over the place.

I set mine up recently, cleared it the gards before doing so. You can record anything on your own property if you wish, once you start recording anything else (next door neighbour) it gets into data protection.

the rules around that are defined by data protection for a commercial premises that if youre recording for security/health and safety and dont use the images for anything else, then you're grand.

The commercial rules dont apply as well to residential though, its more a grey area. If a neighbour said I dont want you fliming any of my property they legally dont have much to stand on but Id try and accommodate. My neighbours are quite happy to have some of their property back and front covered with cams though.

I got 2 foscams off ebay for 130e. very happy. theres an iphone app called ipcam. access from anywhere. little bit of setting up but once it works its great

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

The commercial rules dont apply as well to residential though, its more a grey area. If a neighbour said I dont want you fliming any of my property they legally dont have much to stand on but Id try and accommodate. My neighbours are quite happy to have some of their property back and front covered with cams though.

Basically .. don't be an a$$hole to your neighbours :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

GarIT wrote: »

I heard something about access control devices having to be fitted by a 'licensed' installer. To that I say "get f_cked... I will install what I like on my own property"

More here -> http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/Pages/WP12000262

gerryk wrote: »
    I heard something about access control devices having to be fitted by a 'licensed' installer. To that I say "get f_cked... I will install what I like on my own property"

More here -> http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/Pages/WP12000262

not so sure that it meant that, Id read that to mean if you are getting a contractor they have to be licenced, not that it has to be a contractor only that can install it.

sort of like you can drive yourself home if you want but if youre getting a taxi, it has to be driven by a regulated taximan.

theyre fairly easy to install, hook it up to the router with a cable, install the software that comes with it on pc. open the software and it will discover the camera on your network. configure the camera with the software to connect over wifi to your router. disconnect cat 5 cable.
    Now all you gotta do is wire it in. easiest way I found was to screw it in to the eaves under the gutter, drill a hole so pass cable up into attic, pass cable up taped to end of wire coat hanger, have someone up in the attic to pull it through, then run power to it whatever way you can. I drilled down into the nearest bedroom and pushed a socket up. couple of hours, tops.

tools
    1 tall ladder
    1 screwdriver/power drill
    2 wire coat hangers straightened out to push cable through eaves
    1 roll of tape to attach cable to coat hangers.
    1 roll of electrical cable.

4967031.gif

If you dont think the eaves will suffice, then you gotta drill through the house wall. drills and drillbits needed here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,346 ✭✭✭randombar

What power do these things take? Have one of those security flashing lights and was thinking I could hijack the power of that maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

not so sure that it meant that, Id read that to mean if you are getting a contractor they have to be licenced, not that it has to be a contractor only that can install it.

sort of like you can drive yourself home if you want but if youre getting a taxi, it has to be driven by a regulated taximan.

Yup, you're right. No harm to have these things clarified, though. Here's the reply from the department responsible...
    From 01 October 2012, any person who in the course of a business trade or
    profession, provides installer of security equipment (CCTV) services is
    required to be the holder of the relevant Private Security Services
    Licence.

Based on the information you have provided, your CCTV system as described
    appears not to fall into the category of installed in the course of a
    business trade or profession, so therefore is not licensable activity.

It should be noted that the Private Security Authority in order to
    determine who has installed CCTV systems, can under Section 13(1) of the
    Private Security Services Acts 2004 & 2011, investigate any security
    services being provided by any person.

If you still require any information please contact me and I will gladly
    assist.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

What do you think of the spec of this one from RF Concepts
    Would it be any good for night time covering the drive from the porch?

Avermedia SF1301 1.3 Megapixel

Not wireless though .

bmm wrote: »
    Not wireless though .

and specifically says indoor.

and its 2-3 times the price of other cameras that will do mostly the same job from.

wifi is to save cabling. unless youve got a willing electrician/cabnling handyman in the family, strongly suggest gettting a camera with wifi, they available for 40-60e.

Note: If you want to monitor outdoors, you have to mount the camera outdoors. Reason: if its indoor looking out the Infra red bounces back off the window and you just get a huge glare on your monitor.

you could get an motion sensor 35w-50w LED flood light, if that goes off, youll have enough illumination so that the camera wont need to engage IR.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

Outdoor Wanscam model without the hassle of customs + vat etc.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wireless-WIFI-IP-Camera-IR-Network-Nightvision-Outdoor-Waterproof-UK-/150969795723

+3.50 euro postage with parcel motel

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Outdoor Wanscam model without the hassle of customs + vat etc.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wireless-WIFI-IP-Camera-IR-Network-Nightvision-Outdoor-Waterproof-UK-/150969795723

+3.50 euro postage with parcel motel

Maybe not quite as it appears:

Small print from the listing

1. We accept payment via PAYPAL ONLY.
    2. Payment must be made within 4 days of auction closing.
    3. TOTAL AMOUNT DUE includes the final auction price plus S&H(Shipping and Handling).
    4. S&H will be determined based upon the SHIP TO address.
    PLEASE NOTE: S&H DOES NOT INCLUDE DUTIES, LOCATL TAXES OR ANY OTHER IMPORTATION FEES.

5. Please list your special requests (color, packages, etc.) in the PAYPAL NOTES SECTION when you make payment.

and seller information:

Xue Li
    4/F, No.A3 Building HeKan Industrial Park, Bantian, LongGang
    518129 Shenzhen, 广东省
    中國

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭GalwayGaillimh

Not wireless though .

With street lighting is .5 of a Lux good enough to get a decent image without infrared?

Si Deus Nobiscum Qui Contra Nos

With street lighting is .5 of a Lux good enough to get a decent image without infrared?

Its totally dependent on the quality on the LED.

I robbed this off an ebay page so excuse the caps but as good an explanation as any...

WHAT IS THE CAMERAS LUX RATING AND WHAT DOES IT MEAN?

THE AMOUNT OF LIGHT IS DEFINED BY LUX (LUMENS PER SQUARE METER) ONE LUX IS THE AMOUNT OF LIGHT CAST BY ONE CANDLE AT ONE METERS SPACE. HERE ARE SOME EXAMPLES OF NATURAL LIGHT SOURCES EXPRESSED IN LUX

NATURAL LUX EXAMPLES

DAYLIGHT 10,000 LUX

CLOUDY 100 LUX

TWILIGHT 10 LUX

DUSK 1 LUX

FULL MOON .1 LUX

QUARTER MOON .O1 LUX

COMPLETE DARK O LUX

SOME HIGH QUALITY SONY CCDS CAN HAVE A GOOD PICTURE DOWN TO .1 LUX ANYTHING BELOW THAT THEY WILL REQUIRE INFRA-RED LED’S TO SEE IN THE DARK THESE ARE CALLED NIGHT VISION OR IR CAMERAS. IN THE CAMERA SPECS THEY WILL LIST THE AMOUNT OF LED’S WHICH PEOPLE TEND TO USE TO COMPARE LOW LIGHT PERFORMANCE. ACTUALLY THE TYPE OF LED IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN THE QUANTITY OF LED’S SOME LEDS PRODUCE 10 TIMES MORE LIGHT THAN OTHER LED’S.WHILE OTHERS ARE MADE SO THE NAKED EYE CAN’T SEE THE LIGHT BEING EMITTED FROM THEM MAKING THESE BETTER FOR COVERT USE.COMPARING THE AMOUNT OF FEET THE CAMERA ILLUMINATES AND HOW WIDE THE LIGHT SPREADS IS THE ONLY TRUE WAY TO COMPARE IR CAMERAS.

THE OTHER MISTAKE PEOPLE MAKE IS COMPARING A NON IR CAMERAS LUX RATING TO A IR CAMERAS LUX RATING. IN LOW LIGHT AN IR CAMERAS LED’S TURN ON AND THE CAMERA CAN SEE AS MUCH AS THE LED IR’S ILLUMINATE. NORMALLY IN A CHEAP CMOS CAMERA A VAGUE IMAGE IS SEEN OUT TO ABOUT 10 FEET. THIS GIVES THE CAMERA A O LUX RATING BECAUSE IT CAN SEE IN COMPLETE DARKNESS BUT ONLY OUT TO ABOUT 10 FEET. A NON IR CAMERAS RATING IS BASED ON WHAT IT CAN SEE EVERYWHERE NOT JUST WHAT THE IR’S LIGHT UP AS ON A IR CAMERA. THE TWO RATING CAN NOT BE COMPARED. IN ACTUALITY THE A CHEAP CMOS CAMERAS LUX RATING IS AROUND 10 LUX WITHOUT THE IR’S ON. THIS MEANS THAT THE SONY CCD CAMERA WITH A .1 LUX RATING ON A NIGHT WITH A FULL MOON WILL SEE HUNDERDS OF FEET AWAY WHILE THE IR CAMERA WILL ONLY SEE WHAT ITS IR’S ILLUMINATE WHICH IS ONLY ABOUT 10 FEET AWAY. ONLY WHEN IT BECOMES COMPLETE PITCH BLACK DOES THE IR CAMERA SEE MORE BECAUSE THE SONY CCD CAMERA CAN’T SEE IN COMPLETE DARKNESS BUT IF YOU THINK ABOUT IT NOR CAN A CRIMINAL EITHER.

THE CHEAPEST WAY TO SOLVE THE LOW LIGHT PROBLEM IS BY INSTALLING A MOTION SENSOR LIGHT. NOT ONLY DOES IT LIGHT UP THE AREA BUT ALSO SCARES AWAY INTRUDERS. IT ALSO NEEDS TO BE SAID THAT THESE HIGH OUTPUT IR CAMRAS PUT A LOT OF STRAIN ON THE CAMERA POWER SUPPLIES . WHICH WERE DESIGNED TO POWER CAMERAS NOT TO LIGHT UP PARKING LOTS. THAT BEING SAID WE HAVE TWO GREAT HIGH POWER SONY CCD NIGHT VISION CAMERAS THAT WE DO SELL WITH 200 TO 380 FT ILUMINATION.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Hi all, I bought one of these (TCL - JPT3815W) during the week and Ive spent the day trying to set it up with no joy.

Could anyone who knows how to get this going maybe have a look at the following thread? I'd appreciate it!

Problem setting up wireless IP Camera

Advertisement