Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intelligence agencies debunk the media hysteria on Iran

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭RichieC

cyberhog wrote: »
    Here's a timeline of the ever shifting nuclear doomsday.

http://www.csmonitor.com/layout/set/print/content/view/print/422252

The US and Israel have being crying wolf for over 30 years! It's all a load of waffle!

I wish the neocon imperialists would find something else to do with their time. It's getting so tiresome listening to the same old unhinged rhetoric.

It takes a populations eye off the crud that's going on back home.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

So OP why are they not upfront and honest with the iaea?

And yet couldn't we ask the same question of Israel's nuclear weapons program.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

And yet couldn't we ask the same question of Israel's nuclear weapons program.

If you want to keep swinging attention back that way and justify that post, you'd have to convince Israel to sign up to NPT in the first place. They aren't so are not obliged to comply to IAEA inspection requirements.
    Iran as a signatory is required to comply.

JustinDee wrote: »
    If you want to keep swinging attention back that way and justify that post, you'd have to convince Israel to sign up to NPT in the first place. They aren't so are not obliged to comply to IAEA inspection requirements.

Surely the world should be more worried about a nation that refuses to sign up and hides all it's nuclear activity rather than one that signs up and doesn't meet a couple of requirements.

I think the pro us, Israel camp know the absurdity of their position tbf.

RichieC wrote: »
    Surely the world should be more worried about a nation that refuses to sign up and hides all it's nuclear activity rather than one that signs up and doesn't meet a couple of requirements.

I think the pro us, Israel camp know the absurdity of their position tbf.
    A naive view that a "a couple of threats" from a regime that has supported and been involved in aggressive and subversive hostilities since 1979 via proxies and its own elite paramilitary, alongside a nuclear programme being upped by the week is a little bit more disconcerting.
    More than just rhetoric.
    Then again, you probably presume that Iran has not been engaged in anything of a kind with Hizbullah, Hamas, Syria or anyone else. If thats the case, then we're not going to agree.
    I don't like the expansionism of Likud's coalition myself but the activities of Iran with Israel's enemies don't excuse it as any more special a case.
    This isn't "US/Israel camp"-talk. Just how I see it following my own experiences etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Some more hype busting:

Iran Ready to Allow IAEA Access to Parchin Military Facility in Future

BTW, as I posted earlier Iran doesn't have to give access to this facility per the NPT, which is a fact that so many have ignored for some reason. So its interesting to see that they are offering a compromise like this, but I doubt it will calm much of the fear mongering from some people in the West.

A naive view that a "a couple of threats" from a country that has supported and been involved in aggressive and subversive hostilities since 1979 via proxies and its own elite paramilitary, alongside a nuclear programme being upped by the week is a little bit more disconcerting.
    More than just rhetoric.

Then again, you probably presume that Iran has not been engaged in anything of a kind with Hizbullah, Hamas, Syria or anyone else. If thats the case, then we're not going to agree.

you could easily be talking about Israel here... sheesh.

wes wrote: »
    Some more hype busting:

Iran Ready to Allow IAEA Access to Parchin Military Facility in Future
    This news came through last night. Hardly been hanging around all this time. Also, the subjective possibilities of "in future".
    The IAEA require access now.
    BTW, as I posted earlier Iran doesn't have to give access to this facility per the NPT, which is a fact that so many have ignored for some reason. So its interesting to see that they are offering a compromise like this, but I doubt it will calm much of the fear mongering from some people in the West.
    What is ignored is the fact that an alleged civilian nuclear facility is safe behind the confines of a military facility. This never once raised an eyebrow, no?

What is ignored is the fact that an alleged civilian nuclear facility is safe behind the confines of a military facility. This never once raised an eyebrow, no?

Where did you read that there's a civilian nuclear facility in Parchin? It is a research base for conventional missile tech.

Oh right... who cares :rolleyes:

This news came through last night. Hardly been hanging around all this time. Also, the subjective possibilities of "in future".
    The IAEA require access now.

The IAEA have no right to access the facility, and they have already inspected it twice in the past. So the Iranians have accomadated them in the past, and are planning to do so in the future. They are not required to do any of this under the NPT, so quite frankly the Iranians are acting within there right as per the NPT.

BTW the IAEA requiring access is irrelevant, as they have no right to inspect the facilty as per the NPT, its up to the Iranians, whether they give access or not.

There is no nuclear facility there :confused:. Its a miltary facility that has been as I pointed out on the first page of this thread, already inspected twice by the IAEA. So quite frankly, I view claims in regards to this facility to be utter tosh. The IAEA have been there twice in the past and found nothing, and are being offered access again. Also, I will say this again, Iran did not have to offer access the first 2 times, nor do they have to offer future access. The fact that they have done so, actually means there acting above and beyond there commitments.

• Advertisement

The IAEA have no right to access the facility, and they have already inspected it twice in the past. So the Iranians have accomadated them in the past, and are planning to do so in the future. They are not required to do any of this under the NPT, so quite frankly the Iranians are acting within there right as per the NPT.

BTW the IAEA requiring access is irrelevant, as they have no right to inspect the facilty as per the NPT, its up to the Iranians, whether they give access or not
    If the Iranians want the sanctions dropped, they must prove as an NPT signatory, that they comply with what they sign up to. It is up to them to clear with IAEA. That is not irrelevant.
    There is no nuclear facility there :confused:. Its a miltary facility that has been as I pointed out on the first page of this thread, already inspected twice by the IAEA. So quite frankly, I view claims in regards to this facility to be utter tosh. The IAEA have been there twice in the past and found nothing, and are being offered access again. Also, I will say this again, Iran did not have to offer access the first 2 times, nor do they have to offer future access. The fact that they have done so, actually means there acting above and beyond there commitments.
    The IAEA don't view it as tosh, nor do Iran's enemies. That would be more relevant a point.
    I'm sure it is all innocent and that despite signing up to international agreements, Iran's regime are above it all. Lovely bunch.

If the Iranians want the sanctions dropped, they must prove as an NPT signatory, that they comply with what they sign up to.

Yes, which does not include inspecting military sites.

It is up to them to clear with IAEA. That is not irrelevant.

No it isn't but I was talking about a military site, which under the NPT, the IAEA have no right to inspect. A fact you deliberately ignored several times already.
    The IAEA don't view it as tosh,

Well, then they clearly don't have much fate in there own abilities since they were already at that site twice already. Still doesn't change the fact, as per the NPT, they have no right to access it.
    nor do Iran's enemies.

So we should listen to people who consider Iran an enemy. Really? Surely, Iran enemies are hardly thrust worthy in regard to claims about Iran, what with them being enemies.
    That would be more relevant a point.

So now Iran needs to proves itself to its enemies and not just the IAEA, who as per the NPT don't have any right to access miliary sites. Which is the point I was making. A point you choose to ignore.
    I'm sure it is all innocent and that despite signing up to international agreements, Iran's regime are above it all. Lovely bunch.

Again, the military site in question is not covered under the NPT. The fact that you have ignored that and then claimed it contains a nuclear site, without a single shred of evidence to back up that assertion is puzzling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

hate that sh1t 'not available in your region' : (

Stewart rules!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

let's hope the cogs on the spin wheel don't move as smoothly this time... coz the whole world got punked with that sh1t in 2003.. thank you Colin

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTkaGPHXmaRLHkFCAbBYtynDw-Yl_PbC8Wh3tNHi-Of_KEhehsZIg

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭cyberhog

No it isn't but I was talking about a military site, which under the NPT, the IAEA have no right to inspect. A fact you deliberately ignored several times already.

He has to ignore the facts in order to keep his belief system intact.
    So we should listen to people who consider Iran an enemy. Really? Surely, Iran enemies are hardly thrust worthy in regard to claims about Iran, what with them being enemies.

bingo! as we've seen with Iraq in 2003 Iran's enemies are about as trustworthy as a black widow spider!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I am well aware of that fact alright. But speaking of non-compliance, Israel are certainly proven masters at this aren't they. Just count how many UN resolutions they've ignored.

I am well aware of that fact alright. But speaking of non-compliance, Israel are certainly proven masters at this aren't they. Just count how many UN resolutions they've ignored.
    Since you're going to take the moral relativist line and blow gas about UN resolutions . . . who ignored #181, the basis of this endless warring with Israel in the first place??
    Ironically, the fundamental elements of Resolution Nr.181 (Partition into Jewish and Arab state with Jerusalem as a hub city) form what non-fundamentalist Arab neighbours allegedly want now.

Since you're going to take the moral relativist line and blow gas about UN resolutions . . . who ignored #181, the basis of this endless warring with Israel in the first place??

General Assembly resolutions are non-binding firstly, but as we have seen earlier your not one for facts.

Secondly, even if the resolution was binding, no where in the resolution does it allow for Zionists to ethnically cleanse Palestinians, which they did before a single Arab army invaded. Secondly, no where in the resolution did it say that Zionists could grab more land, which again they started doing before the Arabs invaded. So, yes the Arabs did reject that non-binding resolution, but the Zionists while claiming to accept it, went ahead and strated ethnically cleansing people and grabbing more land, which is still going on today. So quite frankly Zionists violated that resolution with land grab and ethnic cleansing.

Israel btw is in violation of later binding security council resolutions, and are actively violating them on a daily basis via settlement expansion.

Either way this branch of history is irrelevant to the thread, and I am still waiting for to back up this claim:
    What is ignored is the fact that an alleged civilian nuclear facility is safe behind the confines of a military facility.

General Assembly resolutions are non-binding firstly, but as we have seen earlier your not one for facts.

Secondly, even if the resolution was binding, no where in the resolution does it allow for Zionists to ethnically cleanse Palestinians, which they did before a single Arab army invaded. Secondly, no where in the resolution did it say that Zionists could grab more land, which again they started doing before the Arabs invaded. So, yes the Arabs did reject that non-binding resolution, but the Zionists while claiming to accept it, went ahead and strated ethnically cleansing people and grabbing more land, which is still going on today. So quite frankly Zionists violated that resolution with land grab and ethnic cleansing.

Israel btw is in violation of later binding security council resolutions, and are actively violating them on a daily basis via settlement expansion.

Either way this branch of history is irrelevant to the thread, and I am still waiting for to back up this claim:

Trite and selective.

A UN Resolution is a UN Resolution regardless of legalities. I wasn't claiming Israel shone a light when it comes to the UN. Just that some are a little selective in their memories when discussing it, as your selective footnotes and timelines are. If it only it all was as simple as wiki-wagging or google c&p'ing would indicate.

Trite and selective.

No just factually accurate, something you have major issues with.
    A UN Resolution is a UN Resolution regardless of legalities.

You are talking some nonsense. There are binding and non-binding resolutions. There is a difference between the 2. To ignore this difference is to deny a fact. So once again, you show yourself to be completely unaccepting of facts that don't fit your world view. Seriously, what your saying here destroys you credibility, where you wish to ignore legalities, when it doesn't suit you arguement.
    I wasn't claiming Israel shone a light when it comes to the UN.

You asked a question and I answered it. You clearly didn't like the answer, as once again the facts conflict with your world view.
    Just that some are a little selective in their memories when discussing it, as your selective footnotes and timelines are.

No, I am just being factually accurate, something you are incapable of doing so.
    If it only it all was as simple as wiki-wagging or google c&p'ing would indicate.

So to bring us back to actual topic:
    What is ignored is the fact that an alleged civilian nuclear facility is safe behind the confines of a military facility.

Still no source for that claim. Instead you would rather throw around nonsense like "wiki-wagging" and "google c&p'ing" in regards to those of us, who can back up what we say.

Truly astonishing again.

• Advertisement

No just factually accurate, something you have major issues with.

You are talking some nonsense. There are binding and non-binding resolutions. There is a difference between the 2. To ignore this difference is to deny a fact. So once again, you show yourself to be completely unaccepting of facts that don't fit your world view. Seriously, what your saying here destroys you credibility, where you wish to ignore legalities, when it doesn't suit you arguement.

You asked a question and I answered it. You clearly didn't like the answer, as once again the facts conflict with your world view.

No, I am just being factually accurate, something you are incapable of doing so
    You justified slaughter by one side of the conflict yet slam same by the other. And I'm the myope?
    So to bring us back to actual topic:

Still no source for that claim. Instead you would rather throw around nonsense like "wiki-wagging" and "google c&p'ing" in regards to those of us, who can back up what we say.

Truly astonishing again.
    Endless repetition doesn't qualify your point or question as any more salient. So you don't suspect anything. Others do. Hence the inspections. You don't suspect anything when a facility under suspicion will only be made available "later". Others do.
    Sånn er livet.
    And yes, retroactive wiki-wagging and googling demonstrates nothing other than an ability to cherry-pick what is available on the internet. Thats not "fact". It is selective regurgitation as per opinion.

You justified slaughter by one side of the conflict yet slam same by the other. And I'm the myope?

I did no such thing and I expect you quote exactly where I did that.

All I did was the following:

Not a single word in there justifying slaughter by anyone. Simply put, what you said was a lie, and the fact that you are engaging in this lie, several posts after I typed the above is rather telling. Also, I pointed out that both sides essentially rejected the resolution, so I fail to see how I am being "one sided". I think the only thing I am guilty of is disagreeing with, and hence this rather pointless outburst.
    Endless repetition doesn't qualify your point or question as any more salient.

Your inability to prove a damn thing, requires that I repeat the facts, sadly.
    So you don't suspect anything. Others do. Hence the inspections. You don't suspect anything when a facility under suspicion will only be made available "later". Others do.

Doesn't change the fact that the IAEA have no right to inspect that site, as per the NPT. A fact you choose to ignore for what ever reasson.

As for suspicions, they are still unproven last time I checked. Also, unless there is clause in the NPT, that mean that suspicions allow them to inspect military sites, then they are nothing more than suspicions. Sadly for you, you can't have a special set of rules for Iran, on the sole basis of suspicions of some blood thirsty war mongers.
    Sånn er livet.
    And yes, retroactive wiki-wagging and googling demonstrates nothing other than an ability to cherry-pick what is available on the internet. Thats not "fact". It is selective regurgitation as per opinion.

Nonsense, as per usual. I am able to back up what I say, you on the other hand refuse to do so. So again, care to back up the following statement:

You can bang on about wiki this or that, all day long, but the fact is that you clearly made up the following or you are repeating what someone else made up, and quite frankly have 0 credibility on this matter, as the facts do not matter to you, and never have. You say things that are clearly wrong, and refuse to back them up and defend it by making fun of others who bother to provide facts to back up there statements.

I find it funny that you seem to view people backing up there claims with links with such derision. So basically, you would rather say things and not back them up. If things were done that way, I could just say you are wrong, and thats it. I wouldn't need to back up what I say, just say you are wrong and thats it. I could even make stuff up apparently, and not need to back it up, or anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

I did no such thing and I expect you quote exactly where I did that.

All I did was the following:

Not a single word in there justifying slaughter by anyone. Simply put, what you said was a lie, and the fact that you are engaging in this lie, several posts after I typed the above is rather telling. Also, I pointed out that both sides essentially rejected the resolution, so I fail to see how I am being "one sided". I think the only thing I am guilty of is disagreeing with, and hence this rather pointless outburst.

Your inability to prove a damn thing, requires that I repeat the facts, sadly.

Doesn't change the fact that the IAEA have no right to inspect that site, as per the NPT. A fact you choose to ignore for what ever reasson.

As for suspicions, they are still unproven last time I checked. Also, unless there is clause in the NPT, that mean that suspicions allow them to inspect military sites, then they are nothing more than suspicions. Sadly for you, you can't have a special set of rules for Iran, on the sole basis of suspicions of some blood thirsty war mongers.

Nonsense, as per usual. I am able to back up what I say, you on the other hand refuse to do so. So again, care to back up the following statement:

You can bang on about wiki this or that, all day long, but the fact is that you clearly made up the following, and quite frankly have 0 credibility on this matter, as the facts do not matter to you, and never have. You say things that are clearly wrong, and refuse to back them up and defend it by making fun of others who bother to provide facts to back up there statements.

From as much as I can tell here, the 'pro-war' position here is that we should invade Iran based on a suspicion, which the Intelligence agencies do not support, because the IAEE cannot inspect a site which they have no mandate inspect.

I am pie wrote: »
    From as much as I can tell here, the 'pro-war' position here is that we should invade Iran based on a suspicion, which the Intelligence agencies do not support, because the IAEE cannot inspect a site which they have no mandate inspect.

Who was actually pro-invasion? And who is 'pro-war'? People can have a valid opinion without being pigeon-holed or even have an agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,116 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Link doesn't work from Ireland :C
    The Snoopy is basically that the US and Iran are in election cycles, and Israel is considering pushing their General Election to early 2012. Essentially, each country is in Campaign Rhetoric Mode, trying to make grandiose statements that appeal to their particular base. Hence why you have the love triangle brewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

I am pie wrote: »

I suspect that its mostly Israel that wants an attack against Iran for allegedly developing nuclear weapons, that it Israel has in bountiful supply, and for not allegedly adhering to the non Proliferation treaty, that Israel has not even signed up to, or ever will IMO. That is some hypocrisy and irony. Obama faces the ruination of his election campaign if the Israelis go it alone and he fails to back a fest he does not want to be in at his time. We can go around in circles with this forever and get nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

Don't worry lads the US has managed to get Israel to back down....by supplying them with the most advanced bunker busters in world and making them promise not to use them till next year at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭SamHarris

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    I suspect that its mostly Israel that wants an attack against Iran for allegedly developing nuclear weapons, that it Israel has in bountiful supply, and for not allegedly adhering to the non Proliferation treaty, that Israel has not even signed up to, or ever will IMO. That is some hypocrisy and irony. Obama faces the ruination of his election campaign if the Israelis go it alone and he fails to back a fest he does not want to be in at his time. We can go around in circles with this forever and get nowhere.

Seems to me like the "Iran isnt up to anything" crowd merely seeks to misrepresnt every argument against unrestrained proliferation as a call to attack Iran on the morrow.

Given the hypocrisy stretches to individuals on this thread who cant remain consistant on whether or not the UN should be acknowledged as an authority based purely on if it for or against a certain party - the very idea that a body which in theory represnts the wants and needs of millions dosent display it to some extent is ridiculous and pointless. Why does it matter if Israel/ every state is hyprocritical? Its an inate part of every state, people really have to stop using it as an "got ya now!" end to an argument as though it has ever or will ever effect anything. Its also very telling how people only notice this hypocrisy when they want to, whereas if one of their "team" displays the same vice its merely ignored.

Actually pundits argue quiet the opposite with regard to Obama and his re election chances. If Iran were to test a nuclear weapon you would very quickly become right, however.

To those arguing in Irans favour what, exactly, is their position?

Are they against nuclear proliferation?

If so how do they think this should be enforced?

How do they think it should be monitered?

Who do they think should be believed when the call must be made as to what a nations aims are, if not the IAEA?

What do they think should be done when a country does not comply with this groups demands?

Really if you answer all these questions in a fair and reasonable manner the argument for Irans sanctions is the only reasonable conclusion. You may also argue it should be spread to other states - Israel, Pakistan, India ( I notice the second 2 dont get as much traction, given peoples intense infatuation with the Jewish state) - but the argument for continued sanctions on N Korea/ Iran would still be unaffected.

The very idea that it should go completly unmonitered and unpunished is stupid in the extreme and should be disregarded immediatly, for very very obvious reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭SamHarris

It takes a populations eye off the crud that's going on back home.

It does? This seems entirelly silly to me in the case of the US.

As a result of its dominance in every sphere it can easily fight a war without its people hanging on every second, forgetting that they cant pay the bills or cant find a job. For Israel or Iran it would be seen as a monumental struggle for each nations survival - in the US it would look like a forgone conclusion which would occasionaly be pitted with the deaths of 2 or 3 soldiers a week.

It would take a much bigger war than one with Iran to consume anything more than a news slot in the States, after a few weeks anyway. The idea that there is some cabal there that is pulling strings so as to create this news cycle without any other political or ethical motives is completly without evidence and is probably therefore dealt with in the CT forums.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

SamHarris wrote: »
    It does? This seems entirelly silly to me in the case of the US.

As a result of its dominance in every sphere it can easily fight a war without its people hanging on every second, forgetting that they cant pay the bills or cant find a job. For Israel or Iran it would be seen as a monumental struggle for each nations survival - in the US it would look like a forgone conclusion which would occasionaly be pitted with the deaths of 2 or 3 soldiers a week.

It would take a much bigger war than one with Iran to consume anything more than a news slot in the States, after a few weeks anyway. The idea that there is some cabal there that is pulling strings so as to create this news cycle without any other political or ethical motives is completly without evidence and is probably therefore dealt with in the CT forums.

The mere rumors of war with Iran has dominated US media and election talk for months now. And your suggesting that an actual war with Iran would go almost unnoticed? Really?

Advertisement