Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how much is hardcore per tonne?

• 07-10-2009 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭

Per tonne...and how many do you need to cover 36m2 for paving. Its for a back garden so there wont be any cars on it. Im in dublin, roadstone, ballybane? Also how much sand will I need and how much is that per tonne. Building sand not actual paving sand.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

It depends entirely what you are using for the sub-base. Gravel prices vary depending on what part of the country you are in - sometimes crushed bricks are a cheaper option (especially if there's a demoliton going on near you).

Also, you'll need to know the cubic square metres, as opposed to m.sq.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭JG009

I dont know the cubic measurements. The bottom layer is grass. He doesnt want to bother digging though, just straight on top of it as levels in not a problem and he is putting a line of sleepers across the garden, so the paving will be on a raised patch if you get me, with the hardcore and sand bringing it close to the level of the top of the sleeper.

I think the last time I did a garden it was about 200 for 10 tonnes? And I doubt he would be too fussy if its crushed brick or hardcore. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

If it's 36m2, all you need for the m3 is the depth of hardcore required to meet the level of the sleepers (minus the sand & slab thicknesses) & multiply it by that. I really don't know the prices in Dublin, though. I only mentioned the crushed brick because I got a shed load of it for a patio sub-base off a builder who was demolishing a house a few doors down - he was glad to get rid of it & I got it for free. Happy days!

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭stephentbb2000

Check this page out, it will calculate what you need.
    http://www.sand.ie/pages/prod/s_hsand.php

• Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭JG009

Thanks. That was spot on. Ballybane said 30 a tonne, roadstone wanted 50!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 giggles555

hey folks

so im building a workshop soon and the plan is stud walls shiplapped.

the floor slab is 6000*4800 * 150 and on the edges to support the stud walls 300 deep concrete.

could someone tell me the depth and tonnage of hardcore i would need?
    and also would 25N strenght do for the concrete slab?

thanks

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

giggles555 wrote: »
    hey folks

so im building a workshop soon and the plan is stud walls shiplapped.

the floor slab is 6000*4800 * 150 and on the edges to support the stud walls 300 deep concrete.

could someone tell me the depth and tonnage of hardcore i would need?
    and also would 25N strenght do for the concrete slab?

thanks

each situation is different, and would need engineers to look at it. but typically, 250mm of hardcore would be enough. that gives you 7.2m3 of hardcore, approx 16 tonne, which is about 1 load of stone.

again, engineer would probably need to recomend, but 25n should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 giggles555

ah thanks for that bruschi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

For the sake of it id put in 30 n with 10mm chip and extra sand. you get a far better finish easier

Advertisement