Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to reformat dell xps 210 hard drive

• 28-02-2012 12:14pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 559 ✭✭✭

Got all the disks which came with PC and I have tried to install them again and I think that is causing me lots of problems, as all the applications were installed for before it left the factory, how can I reformat the hard drive and reinstall everything again.

It is running windows XP media

Any help would be greatly appreciated.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

If you have all the discs there is probably a recovery disc or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

If you want to reinstall the operating system from scratch, look for this disc. ;)

32418284.jpg

This will only install the OS, not any additional software, which you may not want anyway because the stuff that came originally with your computer would be hopelessly outdated by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Reinstall from the recovery partition on the HDD

Another disc should have all the drivers you need for your sytem, however, you'd be better off to download the latest versions from the Dell support website.

CTRL + F11 at the POST screen should get you into the recovery console, from where you can restore the system to factory default. Note, this too will delete/overwrite any of your personal files and settings.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Maura74

Thanks everyone for helpful replies, I have got the disk posted above as well as the blue called disk drives and utilities. I am getting messages that I am not sure what to do with,

I can press F2 and that take me into set up and can go to factory settings but am scared to do this as I may lose a lot of my programms on the PC.

I will try and download the up to date drives and see what that does, I will be back no doubt as I am sure to mess it up:eek:

Maura74 wrote: »
    but am scared to do this as I may lose a lot of my programms on the PC.

I will try and download the up to date drives and see what that does, I will be back no doubt as I am sure to mess it up:eek:

Whether you choose restoring the system to factory default or installing XP Media Center Edition from scratch, all personal files and settings will be wiped.

Option 1 is the safer bet if you're unexperienced but you will end up with all the bloat and by now hopelessly outdated software that came originally preinstalled with your computer.

Option 2 will give you a clean system which I much prefer prefer. Installing Windows XP is no arcane science, illustrated installation guides are plenty.

Either way, you will have to backup your personal documents, photos music, etc or they will be lost.

I have not lost anything as yet, I am having problems with a 'statue.msi' it keeps coming up everytime the PC is running any ideas on how where I can find this package on what disk please :)

I will try and solve on problme at a time hopefully.

Maura74 wrote: »
    I have not lost anything as yet, I am having problems with a 'statue.msi' it keeps coming up everytime the PC is running any ideas on how where I can find this package on what disk please :)

Try the driver disc for your Hewlett-Packard printer. ;)

If you don't use this printer anymore, uninstall the drivers from the add/remove programs snap-in.

If it is already uninstalled and you don't have the disk anymore, use autoruns to disable status.msi in the startup routine.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Another way to stop this .msi issue is to remove the offending package using the Windows Installer Cleanup Util. I recommend doing this as not doing it may cause interference with other installers.

Nick

• Advertisement

yoyo wrote: »
    I recommend doing this as not doing it may cause interference with other installers.

Nick

I would not use the Installer CleanUp Utility if you have MS Office installed, Microsoft had to pull this utility because it wreaked havoc with Office installations. Quite irresponsible that major download sites still host it. There were also complaints from Corel, IIRC.

MS now offers a Fix It instead to solve installer issues.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Torqay wrote: »
    I would not use the Installer CleanUp Utility if you have MS Office installed, Microsoft had to pull this utility because it wreaked havoc with Office installations. Quite irresponsible that major download sites still host it. There were also complaints from Corel, IIRC.

MS now offers a Fix It instead to solve installer issues.

I was always under the impression it worked for all but Office products. Maybe Corel ones as well, does FixIt actually work on all installers? I thought it was only for Office :o .
    I've used Cleanup Util it without problems anyways, once your careful and don't delete anything your unsure about :rolleyes: . Windows installer is a right pita though, handy for network/mass deployment but a pain for single use.

Nick

does FixIt actually work on all installers? I thought it was only for Office :o

It does.
    Automatically repair program installation issues that installing or removing program fails because of corrupted registry keys or blocked installation.
    Windows installer is a right pita though, handy for network/mass deployment but a pain for single use.

I'm inclined to to put the blame on HP, their installers are pitiful. Seen them causing trouble quite a few times. Out of the blue they pop up at the system start asking for the CD. ;)

I much prefer to extract the scanner/printer drivers and ditch the rest. Alternatively use their Universal Print Driver which covers pretty much any HP consumer product with the basics. ;)

Many thanks Torqay and yoyo, I have HP printer and coral paintshop pro3, will try out what you advised over the weekend and see if that work. Will let you know if it works or not.:):)

Hi, got another problem with colour on my screen, I got the disk that came with it when purchased it but when I load it the monitor screen asked for Spectral Code which I do not have. It is a LG Flatron screen L1915S, I do not want to purchase a new monitor right now. Where would I get Spectral codes that I am asked to get the correct colours on my PC monitor screen.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement