Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flies magically appearing in house

• 13-08-2008 3:39pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭

Where do they come from, i've started keeping my doors and windows closed and every day i let hot 15 flies from just inside my windows.
    This happens in both my sitting room and kitchen. I keep the doors closed between both rooms closed to try and source here they are coming from. They look like blue bottles, slightly larger than a house fly and a blue tint off the abdomen.
    All meaty products are kept in the fridge and i live in the house by myself so i don;t think anything is rotting behind a couch or press.

anyone got any ideas or how to get rid of the little feckers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭kitkat.3b4t

Check that they're not breeding in your rubbish bin.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Check that they're not breeding in your rubbish bin.

Cheers for the reply.
    I taught of that, It's was cleaned only last week and was pretty good compared to other bins i've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

They sound like cluster flies to me - is your house fairly new? What happens is they get into your attic during construction, winter up there in the dark, cosy places and then reappear in summertime. Apparently their lifecycle involves laying their eggs in earthworms, yeuch! See http://www.the-piedpiper.co.uk/th6e.htm for more info.

We had a lot of them the year after we moved in - do you have any internal vents or has your attic been open recently? They will go away eventually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭harly1516

my house is 20 years old and we got them the last two years I stuck

thanks for the replies,
    House is 5 years old. Not to sure about the attic flies. I don't have them upstairs. Only have them in the bottom rooms of the house. Don't have any vents for them to get through which has me puzzled.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Do you have a fruit bowl in the kitchen anywhere? With the humid weather the past while I've noticed an amount of fruit flies that seem to have set up shop in my fruit bowl around the bananas and kiwis....they're only small but after a few days growth, they end up the size of smaller bluebottles and do the usual performance of trying to fly through glass (but never out an open window :rolleyes: ). I've had to start keeping the fruit in the fridge, which I'd prefer not to do...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭secman

Did you recently take a potted plant from outside in to the house. Happened to us last year and for weeks we had tiny flies in the sitting romm, till we twigged where they were coming from. Dosed the pot and plant with green/white fly spray. Soon sorted.

Secman

secman wrote: »
    Did you recently take a potted plant from outside in to the house. Happened to us last year and for weeks we had tiny flies in the sitting romm, till we twigged where they were coming from. Dosed the pot and plant with green/white fly spray. Soon sorted.

Secman

the only new plant in the house is a venus flytrap. It's not much good at catching flies. If it was producing them i'd be shocked :eek: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Nonmonotonic

The flies are trying to get out not in, so your problem is not a vent. If these are big flies they are probably meat eaters! There is obviously a source for the larvae of these flies to breed on. Could there be a dead mouse in one of your kitchen cupboards or in the void area under your kitchen units? Only good thing about this possibility is that they will eventually run out of food!

Keep swatting.

Advertisement