Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roscommon GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,930 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

any word on if evans got the boot, after thinking about it for the few days he might deserve another year, id have taken the fbd and winning division 2 at the start of the year, two trophies is more than Galway or mayo will be winning, if we can stay in division 1 next year itd be mighty

That's it RoscommonTom

You tell them !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,315 ✭✭✭naughto

I like the Nestor cup to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

any word on if evans got the boot, after thinking about it for the few days he might deserve another year, id have taken the fbd and winning division 2 at the start of the year, two trophies is more than Galway or mayo will be winning, if we can stay in division 1 next year itd be mighty

FBD..... Jesus wept!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭Always_Running

A FBD title would be seen as low hanging fruit but even so its a number of years since Roscommon won it. Winning another national league title in Croke park was more than expected I'd say as I recall a few rossies claiming they would be happy to just stay up.

The two championship defeats against Fermanagh,Sligo will leave a black mark and will leave supporters wondering where to next. 2016 a defining year I feel how Roscommon respond to those setbacks will be key.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

A FBD title would be seen as low hanging fruit but even so its a number of years since Roscommon won it. Winning another national league title in Croke park was more than expected I'd say as I recall a few rossies claiming they would be happy to just stay up.

The two championship defeats against Fermanagh,Sligo will leave a black mark and will leave supporters wondering where to next. 2016 a defining year I feel how Roscommon respond to those setbacks will be key.

Managers are usually judged on championship performances and wins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Where did I say the under 21 winners from two years ago were terrible? That comment related to your underage teams of 5-10 years ago who should be driving your senior team now. Please don't misquote me and if you want to respond, respond to what I actually posted instead of some amended version of what I've posted that you've created in your head.

Your last line is so ironic its untrue. The whole argument is about you saying Fermanagh will have a better chance at All Ireland glory than Galway in 2020. You haven't answered one question or given one reason why you think Fermanagh will be good in 2020, or why you think Galway will be poor in 2020. It was an idiotic comment and you've idiotically tried to back it up with deflection and gibberish

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Managers are usually judged on championship performances and wins

2 wins over Cavan and a win in London doesn't make great viewing from the 3 years in that context.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭rosknight

Did Club Rossie do their Fundraising draw yet. If memory serves me this draw was supposed to happen last month. Can't see them selling many more tickets now footie is over for the year:confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭cbb1982

The draw has been postponed several times!!

Evans to go ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭rosknight

So what's the bet that another big fundraising event will happen shortly (i.e. races) where we will all be caught to buy and sell tickets so as the Draw can take place in front of all our loyal supporters.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 jesuisros

rosknight wrote: »
    So what's the bet that another big fundraising event will happen shortly (i.e. races) where we will all be caught to buy and sell tickets so as the Draw can take place in front of all our loyal supporters.....
    There's no Evening at the races this year. The Draw is on August 28th according to Twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 42 jesuisros

Any thoughts on how the Hurling Losers Group games will go? I hear Thomas Featherston got injured this evening so he'll be a big loss to Oran if he's not fit for Monday because the Gaels have been doing well, despite losing to Four Roads by 7. Dominics should shade the other game, it previous years it looked as if adult hurling could be in doubt in the Club but they've turned a corner. Losers Group winner plays Pearses in the Co. Semi-Final

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Fair play to Evans, Did a great job on integrating our younger players into senior county football and brought us through the ranks. Whether the players were there or not Roscommon are a lot higher thought of then before he took over and he should be applauded for that.

Kevin McStay will get the job you'd think. Would be interested to see if James Horan would have interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,511 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

McStay will want the job but I hope he doesn't get it.Horan would be a excellent appointment if he had any interest in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Bring back fergal O'Donnell, not a chance horan would be interested, what sort of clowns are he with that talk

would he be interested ? didn't he leave 3 years ago because he had a young family, doubt much will have changed in 3 years on that front

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

yabadabado wrote: »
    McStay will want the job but I hope he doesn't get it.Horan would be a excellent appointment if he had any interest in it.

Just curious as to why you are hoping Kevin McStay does'nt get the job,tbh I'd have thought that he'd be an excellent appointment.BTW I'm not trying to be smart.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

After waiting one month and listening to the general vibe i think John Evans has done what is best for Roscommon football by now stepping aside. It shouldn't be forgotten that he have done the ground work for the new management Roscommon were Div 3 before he arrived and weren't showing signs of rising out of that level and he not only achieved that but left Roscommon in div 1.

Plenty will talk about the Sligo,Fermanagh championship defeats as for the reason he is now gone which is probably correct but i think the championship defeat that cost him the most was last year against Mayo in Hyde park. Roscommon had the winning of that game 3 points up with 8 mins to go it was a huge opportunity lost, a win there and Roscommon under John Evans could have a Connacht title or two now.

seligehgit wrote: »
    Just curious as to why you are hoping Kevin McStay does'nt get the job,tbh I'd have thought that he'd be an excellent appointment.BTW I'm not trying to be smart.
    An occasional club manager with no inter county management experience ,a huge step up for him.

I expect the CB have someone already lined up ,we cant have a search for a manager dragging on.If a certain wealthy benefactor has his way then FO'D will be back and he will give a lot of cash towards the project.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

seligehgit wrote: »

What are McStay's credentials exactly? No record whatsoever of doing anything of note at inter county level.

Fair enough he took Brigids to the club all Ireland title, but they had been finalists before and you could say they were knocking on the door before he arrived.

Take the fact he's a well known media personality out of it and tell us why he should be handed the job? It's a big gamble bringing in a guy without any top level management experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

What are McStay's credentials exactly? No record whatsoever of doing anything of note at inter county level.

Fair enough he took Brigids to the club all Ireland title, but they had been finalists before and you could say they were knocking on the door before he arrived.

Take the fact he's a well known media personality out of it and tell us why he should be handed the job? It's a big gamble bringing in a guy without any top level management experience.

Fair points but all inter county managers have got to start somewhere,it is a gamble but I think he could turn out to be a good appointment.I'd imagine Feargal O Donnell is the front runner?

I am'nt too sure if James Horan would be available for the job,he has quite a young family and is I can only imagine enjoying a well earned break from inter county management,enjoying his media work with Newstalk and SKY.I believe he has mentioned in the fairly recent past that he'd only be interested in a potential return to management of the Mayo team into the future.

I wouldn't really like McStay to get the job, but who is going to realistically want the job? What high level managers would want it? If Horan is staying in management and waiting for a big job fair enough, but I'd offer to him atleast. Whether we could afford a big manager or not is another thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

From what I have heard though, he did put together a very well run together outfit in St. Brigids.

I do find it strange that Evans walked. I was sure he'd have liked a crack at division 1 next year. Would have he gotten the backing to stay on? Or was this a case of walking before he was pushed?

Evans jumped before he was pushed.Clubs were going to vote him out.

I think it will be McStay as manager.He had success with Brigid's but a lot of the ground work was done for him,They had been around the scene with AI semi/Final in the previous few seasons.

Realistically there probably isnt too many options available to the CB to go for.
    Rumours that FOD/McStay will be chosen but I think that will be very unlikely.

yabadabado wrote: »
    Evans jumped before he was pushed.Clubs were going to vote him out.

I think it will be McStay as manager.He had success with Brigid's but a lot of the ground work was done for him,They had been around the scene with AI semi/Final in the previous few seasons.

Realistically there probably isnt too many options available to the CB to go for.
    Rumours that FOD/McStay will be chosen but I think that will be very unlikely.

FOD and McStay together in any capacity would be decent. The players we have at the minute suit the style of play we played under O'Donnell, and he very nearly put two back to back connaghts together.

Add that to McStay's success with Brigids and thats the two managers of our coutys two best recent wins of the last 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,340 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

took mayo under 21s to all-ireland final in 2001 only to lose to an excellent tyrone side with players that would go on to backbone their senior side for the next decade such as pascal mcconnell, conor gormley, philip jordan, brian mcguigan, kevin hughes, steven o neill and eoin mulligan. cormac mcanallen also started for tyrone that day

to the topic of evans it was clear that his championship record wasn't good enough. like with tipperary previously evans proved himself an excellent league manager but seemed out of his depth in the championship for whatever reason.

outside the match against mayo in the hyde last year and the two qualifier matches with cavan our performances in the championship under evans ranged from bad to downright awful

for 35 minutes in the second half last year leitrim dominated us and if they had more than just mulligan would have beat us. the scoreline over in london this year flattered us massively as london were the better team for most of the game. we didn't score from play at all against armagh first half last year in the hyde, the performance up in sligo this year ranks alongside galway in 2012 and mayo in 2009 as worst performance i have seen from a roscommon side this past 25 years and losing to fermanagh when 5-6 points up with only a few minutes to go was criminal

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

I'm glad Evans is gone tbh. Think we've got promoted due to a weak D2, good attacking players and a bit of luck and the manner we got knocked out of the championship this year was incredibly damning. There was a quarter final easily there for the taking but we didn't have our **** together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

rossie1977 wrote: »
    took mayo under 21s to all-ireland final in 2001 only to lose to an excellent tyrone side with players that would go on to backbone their senior side for the next decade such as pascal mcconnell, conor gormley, philip jordan, brian mcguigan, kevin hughes, steven o neill and eoin mulligan. cormac mcanallen also started for tyrone that day

to the topic of evans it was clear that his championship record wasn't good enough. like with tipperary previously evans proved himself an excellent league manager but seemed out of his depth in the championship for whatever reason.

outside the match against mayo in the hyde last year and the two qualifier matches with cavan our performances in the championship under evans ranged from bad to downright awful

for 35 minutes in the second half last year leitrim dominated us and if they had more than just mulligan would have beat us. the scoreline over in london this year flattered us massively as london were the better team for most of the game. we didn't score from play at all against armagh first half last year in the hyde, the performance up in sligo this year ranks alongside galway in 2012 and mayo in 2009 as worst performance i have seen from a roscommon side this past 25 years and losing to fermanagh when 5-6 points up with only a few minutes to go was criminal

In terms of league success there is a pretty standard blueprint.

If you have players on board early, committed and training with a real intensity then a league title or promotion is there for alot of sides.

The caveat is that such intensity at that time of year will see a drop off in levels come summer time when every other team has caught up in terms of fitness and preparation.

Ros have peaked in Feb-April in the last 2-3 years due to how they were prepared. It might be naive to say it was some kind of plan to get into the higher divisions in order to give younger players a better standard of opposition, in order to bring them on come the summer time.

In short, the top inter county sides (and alot of the lesser ones) are operating at 50 or 60% during the league. Ros have been operating at close to maximum early in the year. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realise its not going to be maintained into the late summer months.

The problem now however, is that in order to survive division 1, a side like Ros will have to treat the league extremely seriously. There is no room for blooding youngsters in order to have them fresh, experienced and firing come the summer. Do that and Ros will be relegated quick smart unfortunately.

So its kinda catch 22, ye are damned if ye do and damned if ye don't.

One thing Evans had going for him was a united panel of players, who genuinely did play for him, there was alot of loyalty towards him from those who mattered.

A county like Ros cannot bring in a divisive character who will splinter the panel. There is talent of course but like alot of small counties the depth is only as big as the resources available, so the players will need to buy into the next appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,340 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

In short, the top inter county sides (and alot of the lesser ones) are operating at 50 or 60% during the league. Ros have been operating at close to maximum early in the year. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realise its not going to be maintained into the late summer months.

roscommon even in the fbd and league were inconsistent as hell, something that marred the evans reign. we beat mayo and galway in the fbd and lost to nuig with a full strength side..

we go up to down and kildare and put on great performances in the league and then get blown away by laois..no consistency at all. we hold a big lead against galway in the league like against fermanagh and end up losing the game.

i was at the league final with down and the london game and you wouldn't think it was the same team and those games were only 4 weeks apart. we were second best all over the field against london for large parts of that game

we simply couldn't seem to put 2 or 3 good performances in a row together under evans no matter the time of year and if you can't do that in the championship you are out faster than you can blink...at least in the league you can recover from 1 or 2 defeats in the championship you can't

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

rossie1977 wrote: »

That's an awful long time to be going back to find achievements, John O'Mahony won the senior all ireland the same year but I doubt you'd want him as Roscommon manager today. McStay might prove to be the right man if you get him in but, on the face of it, there's little to suggest that he can achieve any more than John Evans, both managers have had similar success at underage and club level. Also, as a Mayo man, the knives will be out even more quickly for McStay if things don't go well at any point.

To be honest, ditching a coach of a young developing team just after getting promotion to Division one doesn't suggest that the supporters in Roscommon will have realistic expectations of a new man coming in.

Advertisement