Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

goating last night.

• 25-05-2012 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭

went for a walk after work yesterday and headed out for the hills.After an hours drive I got to the hill and the heat was merciless.I decided to just ramble about with the 2 lurchers and throw the gun over my shoulder but with no intention of shooting at all.well after an hour of sweating and swearing over the height of the reeds and heather and gorse I thought Id take a look over the hill.There before me stood a herd of nice billys.I got the dogs siting and said,hell i'll just take one.I got the 223 up and down went the big white daddy of them all.the dogs broke ranks(the bastards) and took into the dead goat while the rest leged it for the top of the hill.The moment got the better of me and in the heat of the moment,I took out number two.Great job you say,but I didnt take into account I had to drag the feckers back down.Well it was just after 7 o clock,roasting hot and the job of heaving my freshly guted smellies down.I got back to the van at 9.35 ABSOLUTELY EXHAUSTED AND PARTIALLY DEHYDRATED.I stripped off to the jeans and started to soak myself in the water that is piped from the well,freezing cold and life refreshing liquid.I then decided to skin and prepare the goats for the freezer.skining proceeded and half way through I became aware of the midge flies,and boy did I become aware of them.They ate me alive,without mercy.I started to rush then to complete the job on the 2 goats,and in my haste gave myself 8 small cuts with the knife to the tops of my fingers and the back of my thumbs,the dogs feked off into the van to get away from these nuisance flies and once I was finished,back under the water again to find relief from the buggers.I arrived home at 11.15 p.m and swore never again would i do such a thing.But realistically I know,hell I'll forget the episode in no time and wont be able to resist the temptation again.I had a camera with me but was so badly tortured from these micrscopic insects I didnt take one photo which is most unusual.Other than that nothing much happening :ermm:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Spunk84

transit260 wrote: »
    .I decided to just ramble about and throw the gun over my shoulder but with no intention of shooting at all.
    Love this bit hahhaha well wear man great story !!! Some heat it was ,did any of the meat spoil ?

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭transit260

no spunk,straight into the freezer last night and a bit in the fridge went straight into the dogs,lol.behind my thinking''im not shooting anything tonight'' I still took the gun,which tells you im only fooling myself.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Spunk84

no spunk,straight into the freezer last night and a bit in the fridge went straight into the dogs,lol.behind my thinking''im not shooting anything tonight'' I still took the gun,which tells you im only fooling myself.:D
    I always say that, sure ill take the gun and a box of ammo as well but I won't shoot nothing hahhaha end of it I always do .... Good job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Longfellow

That was good huntin there boy:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

I arrived home at 11.15 p.m and swore never again would i do such a thing.But realistically...
    I thought you were going say that you went back out and dropped another.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭badshot

great story
    a touch of Basil Fawlty about it

you could be well right bad shot,lol.fisma suffered enough with the 2 I had,couldnt of handled another

• Registered Users Posts: 14,930 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Good story..:D Ol Mr Goat is the main guest on my grill tomrrow..Cant wait!!

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

any recipies grizzly? have a leg in the fridge for monday,always looking for new ideas but doont mention curry,YUK

• Registered Users Posts: 14,930 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Certaoinly!!:)
    Here is an entire goat recipie cook book to download from a website I found. From every corner of the World where goat is a staple of dinners. So choose and enjoy!;)

Trying the Texas barbecued Capretto,will see how it goes.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭German pointer

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Certaoinly!!:)
    Here is an entire goat recipie cook book to download from a website I found. From every corner of the World where goat is a staple of dinners. So choose and enjoy!;)

Trying the Texas barbecued Capretto,will see how it goes.

Thanks for that, I will be trying some of them:D:D:D

Advertisement