Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So Where Will You Be? [survivor Map]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭southcentralts

what do you think about taking over a cargo port - lots of containers to block yourself off, security already in place, lots of fuel, tons of supplies in the containers.

Build a jenga house out of containers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

No one seems to have gone with mine yet (without bothering to read the whole thread :-), but it's not on the map).

The Central Mental Hospital in Dundrum.

Pros:
    20 foot walls
    Built to keep people in (which works in reverse)
    Own generator
    Medical supplies
    Cooking facilities/food supplies/refrigeration units
    Surveillance all over the place
    Already has 100 comfy beds
    Large gardens (for growing own food)
    Plenty of parking for the chopper
    It's a pretty old facility so with a bit of luck it would also have a well

Cons
    You basically fortify yourself in there, it's a last stand. The Luas will hardly be running, so there's no way out.
    No ammunition/artillery I guess (but am not sure as they have all the properly criminally insane in there, so the guards might be armed (??))
    What to do with the patients?

My survelliance has only been carried out on one side though, if that wall you see in Windy Arbour doesn't actually go the whole way round there could be issues.

I should really find this out before the apocolypse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Bailey point in Salthill would be a good spot:

abeafefb1775bcdec36d9c59ed8951227e5a1e2310ff6dffe63f4683964bf466.jpg
    i5XxGL-idhTeDBl-wlZQNmNzt7-oiigoUxl6K2DnNONtPWRhZnQmZT00MDB4MzAw.jpg
    2e5c93fc5fcb277c88837e18ff8cc0455a16e886e054d0ce8130442937c6c4f2.jpg

The ground floor is mostly boarded up already, plenty of exits, roof space for growing if you're left there long term, its mostly empty, close to the sea if you have to make a last desperate break for it or just wanted to catch fish to eat, plenty of interior space that could be converted to other purposes like warehousing goods, and balconies.

Long term you could house probably a thousand people in there in relative comfort.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

allanb49 wrote: »
    Added my place in, Central Mental Hospital, nice big walls, secure inner electrified fence, and at max only 80s patients if ever full but most seem to be there on days for rehab while at secure locations at night,
    No one seems to have gone with mine yet (without bothering to read the whole thread :-), but it's not on the map).

The Central Mental Hospital in Dundrum.

Pros:
    20 foot walls
    Built to keep people in (which works in reverse)
    Own generator
    Medical supplies
    Cooking facilities/food supplies/refrigeration units
    Surveillance all over the place
    Already has 100 comfy beds
    Large gardens (for growing own food)
    Plenty of parking for the chopper
    It's a pretty old facility so with a bit of luck it would also have a well

Cons
    You basically fortify yourself in there, it's a last stand. The Luas will hardly be running, so there's no way out.
    No ammunition/artillery I guess (but am not sure as they have all the properly criminally insane in there, so the guards might be armed (??))
    What to do with the patients?

My survelliance has only been carried out on one side though, if that wall you see in Windy Arbour doesn't actually go the whole way round there could be issues.

I should really find this out before the apocolypse.

3 years ahead of you mate :D

and the wall goes all the way round too

Only weak point might be the river entrance near the far wall, behind mulvey park

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 pjcollins

Well all you really need is at least 2 or 3 years worth of food and materials. Then an underground safehouse or if you don't have one, go with the 'ol giant house in the country, never fails!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 CabbageThing

I dont think theres any point in making plans - because if the Zombie apocalypse happens most of us will be Zombies, except me of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭LazyClouds

I'm in the middle of my exams right now so I'm already a zombie.
    har har...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

LazyClouds wrote: »
    I'm in the middle of my exams right now so I'm already a zombie.
    har har...

So.. it has begun.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 CabbageThing

Doylers wrote: »
    So.. it has begun.

Quick! somebody take out LazyClouds before they infect anyone
    Double tap to head should do it

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Shiny Cactus

Easter Island if it had more trees, in Ireland for a large group and I mean large a few thousand achill Islands only a bridge connecting it and plenty of land for crops, animals, shelters etc. But that be more later on where the threat and chaos is on the decrease, early on would say the island in lough derg forget the name anyway, safe easy access to the sea mainland and resources able to travel up and down the country for supplies and near me and my zombie survival kit.
    Which I think should be packed NOW!!! as it can be used for nuclear,alien,army,other invasions of sorts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,952 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Easter Island if it had more trees, in Ireland for a large group and I mean large a few thousand achill Islands only a bridge connecting it and plenty of land for crops, animals, shelters etc. But that be more later on where the threat and chaos is on the decrease, early on would say the island in lough derg forget the name anyway, safe easy access to the sea mainland and resources able to travel up and down the country for supplies and near me and my zombie survival kit.
    Which I think should be packed NOW!!! as it can be used for nuclear,alien,army,other invasions of sorts

Arent there a number of locks to be negotiated & ardnacrusha to get around? taking a chance there if youre making a run for the sea.
    If i was home, id prob be in donegal when the apocalypse hit, so id head to aranmore, owey, rutland or gola island - relatively close to the mainland for runs/keep watch etc. relatveily deep channels between them and the mainland too. Plenty of houses already built on them for shelter. Some arable land, and surrounded by the atlantic and no need to worry about eu fishing quotas!

If i couldnt get a boat, id head to lenveagh. Relatively remote castle and estate. Could be reinforced & made safe with no immediate danger (No real nearby population). Possibility of medieval weapons lying around - its been years since i was in the castle

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Shiny Cactus

retalivity wrote: »
    Arent there a number of locks to be negotiated & ardnacrusha to get around? taking a chance there if youre making a run for the sea.

True didn't think about that but still supplies would run dry in small towns quickly due to everyone going to the countryside where the supplies in the cities/large towns (limerick, athlone etc) are abandon because of the number of zombies. Risky yes but in a world of zombies what isn't risky, also maybe use a small fleet of light weight boats to carry and drop into the next lock.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭southcentralts

about time to get the **** out of north america - it has begun.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭csallmighty

I will be in my boat sailing along the beautiful Donegal coast :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

While I understand the attraction of an island, unless the people are reasonably self sufficient I'm unconvinced. They would need to be able to feed themselves, have access to a secure supply of fresh water, and proper shelter as a minimum. I'd also think that shelter would need to be defensible, not from zombies, but from other people who may have bigger ideas/be better armed/resentful of the islanders position. After all, how many here have said they were going to islands which are already inhabited? Perhaps the natives may not be friendly after all.

How do you plan to keep warm or cook? There are not many/any (in some cases) trees on Irish islands, nor would there be much/any turf available to cut.

Another problem of island living is transport. Can you properly maintain, navigate, operate and repair your vessels? Do you have spares? I'm not sure engines are a good idea, eventually spares and fuel will run out. The next transport problem is that for raiding the mainland. You tie up your boat but then you need to assign some people to guard it. Then you need to get to your destination, how? You can't really transport anything larger than a motorbike in practical terms on most boats. I wouldn't bet the farm on hiding vehicles on the mainland either. There are going to be other survivors who will also be scavenging for the same things.

I've two ideas, one ironically based on settlements I saw on islands, and one from the modern era.

A "Promontory fort" is the first. The best example of which that I have personally seen was on Inishbofin, though it was just a ruin the idea is sound. A defensive position into which a group of co-operating people can retreat. Located in a good position this would allow supplies, animals and vehicles to be stockpiled/stored safely in times of danger. It would also be an incredible difficult position to assault.

The second idea comes from the more modern era, but follows much the same idea. Choose a large enough building which has a flat roof and to which access to the first floor is limited. Destroy the stairs/other access to above. If the structure is strong enough an amount of food could be raised/grown on the roof, which would also be of use as a look out/defence position. The floor or floors above ground level can be used as living quarters and storage.

It think it's important to pick a place where as well as practical issues, mental well being can be looked after. Being constantly on the move is one thing, but it's important to be able to get a good nights sleep, or just plain relax from time to time.

Both of the above can be used as a somewhat safe "base", from which to explore/raid the surrounding countryside, farm the surrounding land, and retreat into if threatened.

Right or wrong that's my 2c on it anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Has anyone thought of monasteries, convents and the like? They're sometimes walled and gated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭vangoz

I had to pick somewhere very close, I don't think its realistic to travel far in the prime hours of infection - MACE, Tallaght http://goo.gl/maps/Z64m

Building description and security
    Its possibly the most secure MACE you could imagine. The entrance to the small carpark is enclosed by a 10ft steal railing, the shop has no windows or weak points of entry other than the front door. The front door is made of solid steel with a sliding hatch to look through, after you pass this door you enter a small holding area where you are presented with another steel door, this door is comprised of horizontal steel bars. I'm pretty sure there is an exit out the back, judging by the front door(s) this would be just as secure.
    There is a third point of security within the shop, the service area is made with thick glass like you see at a bank. The roof is assessable from inside the shop which provides great vantage points of the souranding area.

Resources
    As is is a MACE, you can expect a variety of food stuffs. The shop is also a hardware store (yep a little strange) so you have access to essential tools and weapons. There is also a hairdressers attached at the rear of the shop, making the more fashion aware survivors a lot safer. The shop is part of an industrial estate which can also be looted. As this is located at the far end of Tallaght, the Dublin mountains are no more than a 10 minute cycle away, so making plans for a more remote, long term camp much easier.

Conclusion
    The place was built to withstand the existing Zombies roaming around the Tallaght, making it a great medium term solution before better shelter is found.

Pros
    • Very secure
    • Extremely close, about 100 metres from my house
    • Lots of loot, both in the base and nearby
    • Fashion friendly
    • Far away enough from the city, 10 minutes from dublin mountains

Cons
    • May prove difficult gaining entry without planning
    • Danger of other looters
    • Suburban area = many potential Zombies

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭QuantumP

Living in the Dublin West area I plan to make my way to Baldonnel Air Corps HQ.

Lots of guns, aircraft, food and fences. Maybe a bit too urban but at least it will be down to the soldiers to keep the zombies out while I put my feet up on the first flight out of there to a safe zone.

Could go horribly wrong if they've been compromised by the time I get there, zombie soldiers, not fun - but that's a chance I'm willing to take.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

Im new here but the straight away a few locations come to mind could someone please tell me how to add them to the maps

checking the map there seems to be no markers in my area

i figured it out

dundrum sawmill-supplies

annacarty ric barracks-potential fortification

ballysheeda castle-potential fortification

builders supply store-supplies

Dún Eochaille-potential fortification

mauherslieve bog-supplies

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Kromdar

hi fellow survivors, been a while since i checked in on this. anyway find the link on the first page, and in teh top left there should be a "collaborate" button. log in with a google account and then you can follow the instructions on how to add placemarkers etc. good to see the thread and map are still alive!

happy barricading!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 Savage924

The hellfire club is my first destination. Close enough to travel to the city but far enough away to be safe. Well situated aswell pretty much on top of a giant hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Savage924

johngalway wrote: »
    Has anyone thought of monasteries, convents and the like? They're sometimes walled and gated.

As far as I remember , The Priory in Tallaght village is pretty well defended , and I'm pretty sure there's underground tunnels in the priory that go as far as mealruains church (IRA used them to smuggle guns and **** back in the day) so that could be used for evacuation.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭opti76

spent 20 minutes trying to get out of a multi story car park yesterday (faulty shutter in a door that wouldnt open) it struck me... 1 entrance/exit for vehicles.. i entry/exit for footfall. multiple levels for cars. food shelter.. open roof for crops,water collection.. visual confirmation look outs.. radio transmission etc...

easily barricaded... and in the event of breach levels could be closed off and taken back at a later date.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭bernardamaac.

Spike island has a few jail cells some builings and right across the way is the navy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,833 ✭✭✭circadian

If anyone is from Derry, the dole office is prime. Security walls and fences, blast gates etc. Attached to the Strand Road police station where standard issue MP5's etc are available. Not to mention armoured land rovers for supply runs.
    Canteen in the dole building. Good elevation for watches. Whole compound has kept the RA out for long enough, it'll keep zombies out.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 scotzgeeza

Like walking dead best place would be a prison or something. and plus since mount joy is a castle i say release the prisoners as bait then take over.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

Just thinking Glendalough round tower might be a good bet

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Blackdragon72

Why is everyone so fixated on fortifying themselves into a place? Zombies will wait and wait and then wait some more. All the time they are waiting more will arrive because they will hear you crying inside. How long will your supplies last? Will they outlast every zombie thats knocking on your door or will you have to eventually leave and battle an unknown, probably huge number of the brain suckers or just stay put and die.
    DONT fortify. Stay light and mobile, you WILL survive.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Why is everyone so fixated on fortifying themselves into a place? Zombies will wait and wait and then wait some more. All the time they are waiting more will arrive because they will hear you crying inside. How long will your supplies last? Will they outlast every zombie thats knocking on your door or will you have to eventually leave and battle an unknown, probably huge number of the brain suckers or just stay put and die.
    DONT fortify. Stay light and mobile, you WILL survive.

Yeah, but where?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Blackdragon72

Everywhere!

Advertisement