Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fibre and Telecommunications Infrastructure

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    Would I be right in thinking that Iceland is quite vunerable to seismic activity and that would mean it is not a great place over a datacentre because it could be wiped out by a natural disaster?

Most of seismic activity is Volcanic in origin. obviously there are certain places in Iceland you wouldn't want to build a data-center. However if you are building a proper redudant setup then you would have a DR/HA (disaster recovery/high availability) setup where all the data in Datacentre1 (DC1) is replicated to DC2. What's important there is low latency connection between DC's. I would imagine using this connection you could probably get 25ms between Iceland and Connacht. a 100Gbit/s connection between the two for data replication/clustering would enable 12.5GBytes/s of data transfer. In event of natural disaster in DC1 (iceland), DC2 transperantely takes over without the loss of any critical data.

Clustering is one of the reason that most of the banks in the World Trade Center didn't suffer any downtime. all there servers on site were configured with clustering/failover to remote sites (New Jersey etc.)

A good example of course at the moment is in the whole "Cloud" space, at least two major providers recently suffered a power outage in West Dublin, in both cases they were able to migrate customer's "machines" (Virtual machines in reality) to seperate DC's on continent.

This cable is configured to carry 100 x 100Gbit/s waves per cable pair. Total of 6 cable pairs, so that's add up to 600 x 100Gbit/s waves. Of course Eircom for example use 10Gb/s for it connections between say Galway/Cork and Dublin. Total bandwidth is 60Tbits/s

Looks like the ducting in NRA roads will finally get used. Here's a map from "Project Joshua" announced by PiPiper. It's obviously gonna provide the redudant link across Ireland for Emearld Networks.

map.jpg

The big thing here if you ask me is alot of new ducting going into West of Ireland. Galway to Donegal, as well as North Mayo through to Sligo. This makes the whole area considerably more viable for anything that requires very high levels of Data. It also connects in with Hibernian Atlantic via their "Project Kelvin" (landing station in Derry).

There is ducting in the Motorway to at least Kilcock.
    Details
    • Overall Diverse Route of 1050Km
    • 420Km of New Network Construction
    • 760Km of New Sub Duct
    • 760Km of New Fibre Cable

Fully redundant Network
    • Repeater Locations every 75Km
    • Completion of Shortest Route; Oct 2012
    • Cable Live November 2012
    • Completion of the Diverse Route; March 2013
    • Diverse Cable Live April 2013
    • Completing the Northern Fibre Ring

http://pipiperinfrastructure.com/project-joshua/

Rollout of Ireland’s dark fibre network to generate 277 new jobs
    http://www.siliconrepublic.com/comms/item/24821-rollout-of-irelands-dark/
    Some 277 new jobs are to be created in the rollout of dark fibre across Ireland by PiPiper Infrastructure, which is deploying the infrastructure as part of an overall €88m investment plan.

As cloud computing and network-centric business models grow and grow nations like Ireland will be hard-pressed to ensure that cities and towns are linked to data centres and international data links via dark fibre in order to attract and retain inward investment and give local firms a fighting chance.

At present over 94 towns are circled with fibre in the form of metropolitan area networks (MANs) managed by E-net and connected nationally and internationally by fibre backhaul.

But the next phase of development requires abundant supply of dark fibre to future-proof the country for decades as the digital economy’s inexorable advance continues.

Eddie Kilbane, CEO of PiPiper Infrastructure, explained that the company is privately funded to the tune of €88m by private investors in the US and Ireland who view this infrastructure as fundamental to the country’s economic future.

PiPiper will work with the National Roads Authority and various local authorities to put dark fibre into ducts across the country to create a nationwide dark fibre network that will then be made available to telecoms firms to serve businesses and communities with next generation network services.

PiPiper is also working with Emerald Networks, which is raising US$300m to build a transatlantic data network between New York, Iceland and Ireland that will come ashore at Belmullet, Mayo, and will be cable of carrying 60 terabytes of data. The transatlantic network will be operational by Spring 2013 and could be pivotal in securing next generation financial and digital media investment projects that will create thousands of jobs along Ireland’s west coast counties.

“We are working with bodies like the NRA and the core of our operating model is to deploy the fibre with the minimum of disruption by concentrating on maximum cooperation during the civil engineering phase,” Kilbane explained. He said that the model has already been proven in Dublin where some €170,000 worth of fibre was deployed to connect emergency services in cooperation with Dublin City Council and that this model is now considered international best practice.

Kilbane said PiPiper is in talks with significant telecoms players active in Ireland and the first phase of the project will involve creating a fibre ring that will connect major midlands towns like Athlone, Tullamore and Mullingar with dark fibre.

Opportunity for Ireland to be at the centre of the digital world
    “The project will generate 47 full time jobs and 230 jobs in the construction of the network,” Kilbane explained. “The overall budget for the project is €88m, which is being provided by private investors. Our plan is to deliver this network by Spring 2013 and give Ireland a fully operational dark fibre network. The midlands ring will be live in time for this Summer.

The company is also working closely with Intune Networks to deploy fibre virtualisation and tuning technologies to intelligently handle data traffic volumes.

“The country of Ireland needs this network as soon as possible,” Kilbane concluded.

“This network is an opportunity to make Ireland Europe’s digital centre for all data and financial transfers between Europe and North America.”

John Kennedy

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

dubhthach wrote: »
    Clustering is one of the reason that most of the banks in the World Trade Center didn't suffer any downtime. all there servers on site were configured with clustering/failover to remote sites (New Jersey etc.)

I heard about one bank who's backup data center was just across the street in the third building that also collapsed, whoops!!!

Also many of the banks had backup office space and trading floors rented nearby. But they were all renting from the same facility and then there wasn't enough space for all of them, as the facility was knowingly "oversold" and they never expected that they would all need to use the backup facility at the same time!!

Only by the banks working together and helping each out, sharing facilities, etc. was a major financial disaster averted.

This lead to a major industry rethink of disaster planning and making backup data centers more geographically spread out.

To compliment the maps above ("Project Joshua", NRA map, EST Telecoms) here's a map of BT fibre assets in Ireland. I hadn't seen this till I went looking for it today.

NetworkMap.jpg

Alot of BT fibre route is along CIÉ owned rail track. Been part of the deal done between CIÉ and Esat Telecom back in the day.

If the gov get off their arse and sort out LTE licensing for Mobile phone space you will see a big demand for fibre to base-stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭bminish

I would point out that BT are a managed services operator rather than a dark fibre provider.

Also the redundancy shown into Ballina via Sligo and the 20Km Delivery circles both appear to be 'optimistic' claims.

The current pricing may not entirely viable either although one would expect the arrival of a new entrant to improve matters.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46 jackwogan

Hi, a bit off the subject but does anyone how I can connect 2 office buildings in Dublin via fibre. Is there a company I can use that can organise this by using exsisting ducts as the distance is just over 3 miles.

jackwogan wrote: »
    Hi, a bit off the subject but does anyone how I can connect 2 office buildings in Dublin via fibre. Is there a company I can use that can organise this by using exsisting ducts as the distance is just over 3 miles.

Well whereabouts in Dublin are these office buildings? City center or periperhal? The first thing I would do is look for quotes off the relevant fibre providers out there. eg:
    • Eircom
    • Colt
    • BT
    • Magnet
    • Smart Telecom

etc.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

jackwogan wrote: »

If both buildings are already connected by fibre to a fibre backbone *, then it would be much cheaper to just rent capacity with a Service Level Agreement on the existing fibre and create a Virtual Private Network between the two buildings.

The normal players dubhthach mentioned can help you with this.

* And even if they are not, it is probably cheaper to have them connected, then it would be to lay fibre between them directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

Sponge Bob, here is a post of yours in relation to eircom exchanges.
    Sponge Bob wrote: »
    This would be the early April 2007 list...which is not yet completed. I would say it is more like 15 exchanges now Regress. 2 of them were done recently, The Naul and Leitrim Village. One even got NGN.

It does look like we will not see this program finished in April 2012...5 years after eircom announced them and 2.5 years after they should all have been done.

Here is a list. I compiled it when eircom shut down their BroadbandatoZ site and hoped we would not notice :( 3 or 4 exchanges were done thereafter.

Exchanges by County and province.

Connacht

Roscommon:
    - Ballyforan

Leitrim
    - Carrigallen
    - Cloone

Galway
    - Kilrickle

Mayo - complete
    Sligo - complete

Abandoned Connacht = 4

ULSTER

Donegal

- St. Johnston

Monaghan
    - Annyalla

Cavan - complete

Abandoned Ulster = 2

MUNSTER
    Cork

Ballydesmond
    Knocknagree
    Knockraha

Waterford
    - Ballymacarbry

Tipperary
    - Ballyporeen

Limerick
    - Bruree

Kerry - complete

Abandoned Munster = 6

Leinster
    Kildare
    - Calverstown

Kilkenny
    - Oldtown
    - Coon

Dublin - complete
    Laois - complete
    Longford - complete
    Louth - complete
    Meath - complete
    Offaly - complete
    Westmeath - complete
    Wexford - complete
    Wicklow - complete

Abandoned Leinster = 3
    Abandoned Nationwide = 15

I'm just looking at the list of exchanges to be upgraded to FTTC/FTTH on Contrarian's post (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=78447651&postcount=263).

Now I can guess what areas currently have UPC services, but which of these areas would already have an Eircom NGN DSL product available. I assume that all the above areas have only been updated to DSL - but not all have the next generation product. I'm trying to determine if Eircom fibre will end up undercutting their own DSL product - in other words the sustainability of the strategy.
    Ulster		
    Donegal		      UPC Service
    1	LETTERKENY	     No

Connaught		
    Galway		       UPC Service
    1	MERVUE	              Yes
    Mayo		
    1	CASTLEBAR	      No

Munster		
    Cork		        UPC Service
    1	BALLINCOLLIG	      Yes
    2	CORK CENTRAL	      Yes
    3	DOUGLAS	              No
    4	QUAKER ROAD	      Yes
    5	CHURCHFIELD	      Yes
    6	WELLINGTON RD	      Yes
    7	CARRIGALINE           No
    8	DENNEHYS CROSS        No
    Limerick		
    	DOORADOYLE	      Yes
    Clare		
    1	ENNIS	              No
    Kerry		
    1	TRALEE	              No

Leinster		
    Dublin		         UPC Service
    1	BALBRIGGAN	      Yes
    2	BALLYBODEN	      Yes
    3	BEGGARS BUSH	      Yes
    4	BELCAMP	              Yes
    5	BLANCHARDSTOWN        Yes
    6	CABRA	              Yes
    7	CLONTARF 	      Yes
    8	COOLOCK	              Yes
    9	CROWN ALLEY	      Yes
    10	DOLPHINS BARN	      Yes
    11	DONABATE	      Yes
    12	DUN LAOGHAIRE	      Yes
    13	DUNDRUM	              Yes
    14	FINGLAS	              Yes
    15	FOXROCK 	      No
    16	NUTLEY	              Yes
    17	PALMERSTOWN	      Yes
    18	PRIORY PARK 	      Yes
    19	RATHMINES             Yes
    20	ROCHESTOWN	      Yes
    21	RUSH	              No
    22	SHANKILL	      Yes
    23	SUTTON	              Yes
    24	SWORDS	              Yes
    25	TALLAGHT	      Yes
    26	TERENURE	      Yes
    27	WALKINSTOWN	      Yes
    28	WHITEHALL	      Yes

Louth		
    1	DROGHEDA              No
    2	DUNDALK	              No

Kildare		
    1	DROICHEAD NUA	      Soon
    2	CELBRIDGE	      Yes
    3	NAAS	              Yes

Meath		
    1	CLONEE	              Yes
    2	NAVAN	              Yes

Wicklow		
    1	BRAY	              Yes
    2	GREYSTONES	      No

Kilkenny		
    1	KILKENNY	      Yes

Westmeath		
    1	MULLINGAR	      Yes

Carlow		
    1	CARLOW	              Yes

Well the first thing to understand is that Eircoms new fibre strategy will still mostly involve DSL.

It will mostly be VDSL2 in local cabinets feed by fibre.

Some of the dal modems Eircom have been installing in recent years are probably upgradable to VDSL2 and will continue to be used in the new investment.

Those that aren't, could be redeployed. Adsl2 dslams moved to exchanges with older adsl dslams and older adsl dslams can be moved to exchanges with no adsl.

So this new fibre investment won't necessarily invalidate previous investments. Either way they desperately need to make this investment. The alternative is to continue losing customers to UPC at a vicious rate.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Two of the 15 "missing" DSL exchanges from the old plan would save me INCREDIBLE amounts of hassle in work (customers in those towns reliant on shonky wireless products or similar where proper VPNs are required) so if there is redeployment of DSL1/DSLMax DSLAMS I'd be delighted.

I'm, however, likely to be stuck on DSL1 forever - Maynooth is split in to two exchanges, "Maynooth Moneycooley" that's got DSL2 for quite some time and was one of the first for DSLMax (NGB) and "Maynooth Business Campus" that has DSL1, not even DSLMax.

Two housing estates are wired to the latter due to having had historically very poor lines to Moneycooley and I live in one, my parents live in the other.... and neither has UPC either which the rest of the town does!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Sponge Bob, here is a post of yours in relation to eircom exchanges.

I'm just looking at the list of exchanges to be upgraded to FTTC/FTTH on Contrarian's post (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=78447651&postcount=263).

Now I can guess what areas currently have UPC services, but which of these areas would already have an Eircom NGN DSL product available. I assume that all the above areas have only been updated to DSL - but not all have the next generation product. I'm trying to determine if Eircom fibre will end up undercutting their own DSL product - in other words the sustainability of the strategy.
    Ulster		
    Donegal		      UPC Service
    1	LETTERKENY	     No

Connaught		
    Galway		       UPC Service
    1	MERVUE	              Yes
    Mayo		
    1	CASTLEBAR	      No

Munster		
    Cork		        UPC Service
    1	BALLINCOLLIG	      Yes
    2	CORK CENTRAL	      Yes
    3	DOUGLAS	              [S]No[/S] [COLOR="Red"]Yes[/COLOR]
    4	QUAKER ROAD	      Yes
    5	CHURCHFIELD	      Yes
    6	WELLINGTON RD	      Yes
    7	CARRIGALINE           No
    8	DENNEHYS CROSS        [S]No[/S][COLOR="red"]Yes[/COLOR]
    Limerick		
    	DOORADOYLE	      Yes
    Clare		
    1	ENNIS	              No
    Kerry		
    1	TRALEE	              No

Leinster		
    Dublin		         UPC Service
    1	BALBRIGGAN	      Yes
    2	BALLYBODEN	      Yes
    3	BEGGARS BUSH	      Yes
    4	BELCAMP	              Yes
    5	BLANCHARDSTOWN        Yes
    6	CABRA	              Yes
    7	CLONTARF 	      Yes
    8	COOLOCK	              Yes
    9	CROWN ALLEY	      Yes
    10	DOLPHINS BARN	      Yes
    11	DONABATE	      Yes
    12	DUN LAOGHAIRE	      Yes
    13	DUNDRUM	              Yes
    14	FINGLAS	              Yes
    15	FOXROCK 	      No
    16	NUTLEY	              Yes
    17	PALMERSTOWN	      Yes
    18	PRIORY PARK 	      Yes
    19	RATHMINES             Yes
    20	ROCHESTOWN	      Yes
    21	RUSH	              No
    22	SHANKILL	      Yes
    23	SUTTON	              Yes
    24	SWORDS	              Yes
    25	TALLAGHT	      Yes
    26	TERENURE	      Yes
    27	WALKINSTOWN	      Yes
    28	WHITEHALL	      Yes

Louth		
    1	DROGHEDA              No
    2	DUNDALK	              No

Kildare		
    1	DROICHEAD NUA	      Soon
    2	CELBRIDGE	      Yes
    3	NAAS	              Yes

Meath		
    1	CLONEE	              Yes
    2	NAVAN	              Yes

Wicklow		
    1	BRAY	              Yes
    2	GREYSTONES	      No

Kilkenny		
    1	KILKENNY	      Yes

Westmeath		
    1	MULLINGAR	      Yes

Carlow		
    1	CARLOW	              Yes

I corrected the Cork areas above. Douglas & Dennihey's Cross (Covers Wilton, Bishopstown etc) most certainly do have UPC broadband and are large suburban areas with very heavy UPC uptake too.
    UPC put in loads of fibre to kerb in those areas.

Mod
    I deleted the last post which had been cross-posted in UPC forum. Customer relations with a telco isn't really relevant to actual infrastructure forum anyways.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

I'll also post elsewhere... Deleting the post does not seem to work on the touch site?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Full Map of Access Network Nodes (other than UPC).

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/39502907/query21Public.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Full Map of Access Network Nodes (other than UPC).

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/39502907/query21Public.html

Unfortunately, that map doesn't seem to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭funnyname

Just looking at it now and two things strike me straight away.

An exchange like Kilfenora which has a DSL exchange is marked as NBS and how only 5 of the exchanges in Donegal are not DSL, that must be the fewest by far for any county.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

eircom is currently rolling out VDSL cabinets and have gotten to perhaps 1500 by now.

The target was 5000 cabinets initially and this has been increased to 7500 of which 800+ have been mapped to date. Please note that each VDSL Cabinet comes with 20 spare fibre pairs as well and that this eircom programme is a massive extension of the eircom fibre network too.

Main Map Here

If you you wish to add a cabinet to the map ( they look like green filing cabinets with a Large HINGE on the right side of the door which is a LOCK not a Hinge and are therefore are very distinctive) then drop a marker onto the mapping engine HERE `

Rollout Activity Tracker Here

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

If you you wish to add a cabinet to the map ( they look like green filing cabinets with a Large HINGE on the right side of the door which is a LOCK not a Hinge and are therefore are very distinctive) then drop a marker onto the mapping engine HERE

Is this one of the cabinets you are referring to? I'll keep an eye out.

The name of that business park is wrong (Mellenium Business Park, wft?), how can we correct it to Briarhill Business Park?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

antoobrien wrote: »
    Is this one of the cabinets you are referring to? I'll keep an eye out.

The name of that business park is wrong (Mellenium Business Park, wft?), how can we correct it to Briarhill Business Park?

You could be waiting a while for a response ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

Does anyone know the technical data on the size/cpacity of the old ESAT/Iarnrod Eireann fibre network?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Hofstadter

Resurrecting a very old thread to see if Peterdalkey ever got an answer info about this?

Ye'd have to check with BT Ireland to be sure, but you would expect they could easily run 10Gb/s per circuit on the link. So it's really question of how many circuits are multiplexed on each pair and how many fibre pairs are in the connection.

Obviously they have probably upgraded their DWDM kit on it over the years. wouldn't surprise me if you were to get a Dark Fibre pair off them you could power it up to 100Gb/s on the circuit depending on how big your equipment budget was!

I believe in case of ESB and Aurora Telecom (Bord Gáis) that their fibre network around Dublin can do up to 100Gb/s if used as Dark Fibre etc.

A quick google found the following:

National fibre backbone
    The 4,300km BT fibre network reaches all commercial centres in Ireland and is globally interconnected by diverse land and sea routes.

Carrier class Ethernet
    We have 40 next-generation Ethernet points-of-presence around the country, serving corporate as well as wholesale customers with Wide Area Network services, we also use carefully selected third parties to further increase our reach across the country.

Global connectivity
    International access from and to Ireland provides the highest speeds and resilience to BT’s global cloud, voice and connectivity services, and to INEX and the London Internet Exchange. Our DWDM (Dense Wave Division Multiplexing) subsea links offer huge capacity and complete resilience to national and international traffic, linking customers directly to 120 countries and 250 cities worldwide.

Global IP and voice network
    We provide internet access points in 1,250 cities worldwide and our IP Connect services are available in 198 countries. Our global carrier voice services extend to 180 countries around the world, using our own extensive network and carefully selected local partners to help our customers send their traffic to where it needs to go.

Innovation
    Having deployed the first 100Gbps Ethernet core network in Ireland, and following successful trials between Dublin and Belfast, BT Ireland is launching a full commercial deployment of 200Gbps and 400Gbps speeds on our core transmission network, meaning that we can optimise our network and keep costs down for our customers.

Fibre broadband
    From Local Loop Unbundling (LLU) in almost 100 exchanges to our next generation FTTC and FTTP fibre broadband services, we offer great value broadband services – whether you need a full white label service or if you want to manage your own backhaul and network. We pride ourselves on offering a flexible and great value alternative to incumbent providers.

https://www.btireland.com/wholesale/bt-ireland-wholesale/our-network-wholesale

So basically 100Gbits/s in their core network and they've tested 200Gbps and 400Gbps between Dublin and Belfast. Obviously with 4,300km of fibre only a portion of that would be on the routes of railway lines etc.

Advertisement