Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fruit trees. Do they need a mate?

• 28-06-2006 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭

I've just recently planted 4 fruit trees on my garden, 3 of them are together and one is all out on its own (aww)
    The one on its own is a pear tree, and it looks like its not very happy. very droopy leaves, looks like its very tired, if thats possible for a tree.
    The other three trees are fruiting perfectly, but not this one. Someone mentioned to me that pear trees have to have a sexual partner before they'll fruit. Is that true, or have I just planted it in a gammy place?

I know plants need to pollenate each other, but I've never heard of them needing partners.
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

Most pear trees like apple trees need a pollination partner to give fruit.
    The only self pollinating variety I know of is 'Conference ' -- if you haven't got this one you need to get a second suitable pollinating tree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Was told once that you need at least two trees to bare fruit.
    We use to have two apple trees out the back that we got from a family member who sells trees.

I found this about apple trees
    http://www.whatprice.co.uk/gardening/apple-tree-planting.html

Brian.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,741 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I have a single hybrid apple tree that bears fruit.
    I don't think that either variety in the hybrid is "Conference".

Would splicing a cutting from another tree help?
    (I used "splicing" as I am unsure as to the correct term. I'm sure that you know what I mean though.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

its my understanding that you need 2 trees to pollinate in order to get fruit (unless its a self-pollinating type)..... but 2 trees within bee-flying distance is ok! If your neighbour has a pear tree, then you should be ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Macy

If it's not a self pollinating one, you need to grow it with a polinator (or within range of one). I think there are 3 groups - to do with when they flower. I don't think it's quite as simple as getting any other pear tree.

Doubt that would effect the growth though - which maybe the reason it isn't fruiting? Is it more exposed and frost might have got the flowers compared to the other's.

I'm certainly no expert, but might be enough to get you further?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,741 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Pop into a decent garden center when you get a chance & ask them their opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭Archeron

Cool, thanks all. Its weird though, the other 3 trees are a plum, a cherry and an apple, and theres mountains of fruit (this is only their second year down) Maybe we'll have plums that taste like apples!! :D

cheers again.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,947 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Make sure to prune them in winter to keep up the fruit yield.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MarVeL

We have a conference out back on its own and it is doing fairly well (Fruited in the 2nd year). Reading up on it though it seems to be that the yield will be higher with a second tree that can pollinates at around the same time

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Mike_C

If your pear tree is not self-pollenating variety you will need a partner pear tree of a different variety that flowers at the same time. an apple tree or any other fruit tree will not pollenate it (think crossing a dog with a cat! ) it just doesnt work. Poor growth is probably do to the location, pears like a warm south facing location if possible trained on a south facing wall. with most city or town locations there is normally sufficient fruiting trees within bee-flying distance to provide free pollen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,798 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I always thought that the bees and wasps assisted with the pollination process

• Registered Users Posts: 24,947 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

muffler wrote:
    I always thought that the bees and wasps assisted with the pollination process

That was before genetic engineering :D

Advertisement