Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spreading lime

• 11-03-2010 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭

Is anybody buying lime this year? We spread a bit and it's very slow going out of the quarry in our area at the minute, I hear similar stories around the country. Are people waiting for growth or just keeping their money in their pockets now that they don't have to spread with the demise of REPS?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Box09

We spread 60 tonnes yesterday. Mainly for Reps but it's been a long time since this land got lime....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

I spread lime for REPS 2 years ago. It makes a big difference to grass growth as I used very little chemical fertilizer since. A lot of farmers around here are using more lime and less fertilizer to grow grass as they find it cheaper. Fertilizer also works better when the land is properly limed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭wiggy123

didn't think lime helps grass growth..i thought it sweetens the grass for animals, ie on old pasture/grass! no?
    maybe i'm wrong--i've used gran lime before for the land..
    but i find urea,is the best--for grass growth

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭iano93

We got 66t of lime spread der last september! Der was quite a bit of it goin out at the time! I dont tink cows lik the grass 4 a while after its spread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭BeeDI

Something in the journal this week about the cost of granulated lime in the bags having dropped to the point where it's competitive with bulk delivered ground limestone spread by contractor.
    If it says it in the IFJ, it has to be true :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭BeeDI

Box09 wrote: »
    We spread 60 tonnes yesterday. Mainly for Reps but it's been a long time since this land got lime....

I was once upon a time in REPS, and they would not allow me spread lime.
    Supposedly, in an area where molybdenum is high. Putting lime on such land apparently, can lead to copper deficiency in cattle and cause other deficiencies in plant growth.
    Personally I think it's a load of bull, as many people in the area have spread lime, with no apparent downside.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭John_F

wiggy123 wrote: »
    didn't think lime helps grass growth..i thought it sweetens the grass for animals, ie on old pasture/grass! no?
    maybe i'm wrong--i've used gran lime before for the land..
    but i find urea,is the best--for grass growth

it doesnt directly affect grass growth but affects the availability of nutrients in the soil! i.e. you could spread a pile of urea on ground that has no lime with years or less urea on land with lime. Ground lime is considered better value over time but releases slower and wont get the use in the 1st year, Bag lime is supposed to be available to the crop and soil in year one but its use declines rapidly after this. Lime raises the pH of the soil and so a less acidic soil (nearer pH 6.5 - 7) will grow better crops

Around here we apply lime to grassland in the autumn after animals are housed or else when cultivating. We haven't limed for years and done a soil test this year and very low pH so either going to use bag lime this year and ground lime in autumn hopefully.

Was at a meeting the other night. a topic of a soil with a pH of 5.5. They recommended bag lime and ground lime at cultivating.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

what price is ground lime this year, is bagged lime more concentrated if its competivetly priced at 150 / tonne compared to ground lime

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Arcadia1

Just wondering about this-I had ground lime spread at a rate of tonne to acre a week ago on grazing land, and I've been advised to go out with granular on silage ground now, in advance of fertilizer for a late May early June silage cut.
    But am I to understand that the efficacy of Urea, which I normally spread on the grazing paddocks around now, is going to be compromised by the lime?
    If so what would anybody advise?In a recent soil sample these paddocks are showing low in the K's as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 cj plant agri

normally when the reps inspection on the soil test was being done in our area the reps man was brought to the bog or the moory ground,therefore none of us , me or the neighbours ever had to put it out.

and if you go up the rocky ground its all grazing up there because its 2 rough for silage and there is less groth on it anyway.

lime spreading was never a big thing in north connacht and north leinster, only for the reps i would say it would have never been used.

another thing i can see coming back in that reps is gone is the round feeder in the corner of the bog!!!

tbh i dont think alot of people can afford to spread the slurry or buy bag stuff this year ,let alone buy lime. i know a number of contractor who have put the word round that they get paid on leaving the field or else the bales are not being wrapped. i know i have gotten a good few complaints of this ,but im still going to plough ahead as normal, and if there are slow payers i wont leave them on the road but i will remind them that next year is coming 2, they always pay up in the end.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

Arcadia1 wrote: »
    Just wondering about this-I had ground lime spread at a rate of tonne to acre a week ago on grazing land, and I've been advised to go out with granular on silage ground now, in advance of fertilizer for a late May early June silage cut.
    But am I to understand that the efficacy of Urea, which I normally spread on the grazing paddocks around now, is going to be compromised by the lime?
    If so what would anybody advise?In a recent soil sample these paddocks are showing low in the K's as well.
    lime and urea dont mix if its low in k's why would you go with urea anyway 18 6 12 at 4/5 bags per acre

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Arcadia1

Wasn't planning to go out with Urea, especially not given the sample returns.
    Would look more at the higher N compounds-K's aren't too bad on the grazing ground-close to the limit in fact.
    I presume you're suggesting that much 18-6-12 for the silage ground?

Advertisement