Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surf lessons Westport/mayo

• 21-06-2011 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭

Hi,
    Looking to get some beginner lessons in Westport or close to it. Total beginner, but have a feeling I'll love it, so considering a couple of days package kinda thing..

Googled it but only found two places, there must be more. Any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭tedshredsonfire

my two cents is go to achill and http://www.blackfield.com has a lovely little coffe shop in there as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 susu09

West Coast Adventures and Surf School surf at Cross near Louisbugh, which is about the closest surfing beach to Westport(about 30 mins). They will collect you and drop you back to Westport too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Emelio

why not go to portugal and do beginner course.
    it very cheap, almost free.
    get ryanair flight to faro or lisbon, then train to surf school.
    lots of surf chicks around too, unlike mayo where it is likely you meet whale of woman!
    beginner to expert course available
    i will search for link and post to you

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭lofto

http://www.surfmayo.com/

keep the business local!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭keryl

Emelio wrote: »
    why not go to portugal and do beginner course.
    it very cheap, almost free.
    get ryanair flight to faro or lisbon, then train to surf school.
    lots of surf chicks around too, unlike mayo where it is likely you meet whale of woman!
    beginner to expert course available
    i will search for link and post to you

Idiot.

Yeah go to Surf Mayo if your around the Westport area. No need to go to Portugal.

The gang in Achill are your Achill options. Ger Byrne 7th Wave in Enniscrone is excellent too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

keryl wrote: »
    Idiot.

Don't post here again if you can't be civil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Irishmarinelife

Surf Mayo at Carrowniskey are the longest running surf school in Mayo, and Elvis their surf coach, is possibly the most stylish surfer and the nicest guy you will ever meet! Anyone who knows him will vouch for this!:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Geansai Rua

Cool thanks guys... I can't wait to give it a go!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,073 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Surf Mayo at Carrowniskey are the longest running surf school in Mayo, and Elvis their surf coach, is possibly the most stylish surfer and the nicest guy you will ever meet! Anyone who knows him will vouch for this!:cool:

It's true! Don't know him personally but a friendlier guy in the surf you are unlikely to meet!

cornbb wrote: »
    Don't post here again if you can't be civil.

Sorry but his reply was completely pointless and offensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

keryl wrote: »
    Sorry but his reply was completely pointless and offensive.

In that case hit the report post button and let the moderator deal with it instead of being offensive in return.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭famoussheamus

I would go with what the above posters have said, surf local with people who understand the waves here. Portugal has a minefiled of surf schools which sometimes do not actually teach you to surf. Get to carrowniskey/cross its your closest consistant surf with a lifeguard.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 InkDispatch

does anyone know where would be the nearest beach to castlebar where you could get surf lessons?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,073 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

does anyone know where would be the nearest beach to castlebar where you could get surf lessons?

Carrownisky is the nearest, about 40 minutes drive or so. then you have keel and enniscrone which are about an hour away. Not sure any of the surf schools will be open yet.

Surf Mayo will sort you out. They are usually there on decent days. Give them a ring, it's surfmayo.com

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭lizgal

any recommendations for achill island?

lizgal wrote: »
    any recommendations for achill island?

As tedshredsonfire mentioned above http://www.blackfield.com is your best bet for achill I think.

Advertisement