Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cloud Computing Security

• 20-04-2012 11:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Hi All

I'v being look around for company's that have there cloud computing security hacked or any security breaches, and all I can find is a simple explanations of what happened. But i need a more technical explanation. If anyone has seen any thing could you help me out please.

Regards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

What do you count as "cloud computing"?
    Also having "Cloud" and "Security" in the same sentence is an oxymoron.

Edit:

What class are you taking, and what is the wording of the assignment ?
    yorkie727 wrote: »
    Hi All

I'v being look around for company's that have there cloud computing security hacked or any security breaches, and all I can find is a simple explanations of what happened. But i need a more technical explanation. If anyone has seen any thing could you help me out please.

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Ctrl Alt Del

You can take the example of Megaupload where security was at a lower layer than some political reasons that brought the whole business to a halt !
    I'm not arguing or trying to say if is good or bad but beside security (white ,black or grey areas) you have to think out of the box.

God luck with assignment ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

yorkie727 wrote: »
    Hi All

Regards

The vast majority will have brushed anything like that under the carpet where possible, and those that haven't will still be reluctant to tell the world how easily they were breached.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn

The Cloud gets banged around far too much. Its a business term that means everything and nothing as a result.

From experience in a number of real projects you end up with a couple of key problems

Questions:
    Where does your data rest?
    How is your data secured at rest?
    How is physical access to the secured?

They live on amazon ec2/ec3/azure just doesn't cut it as an answer.

Which laws apply to data is another fun question if there is a chance it can migrate to the US should Amazon have another mystical lightning strike.

The one company I saw who had serious privacy concerns and wanted to address them hired a data-centre in Dublin to provide private cloud. (so virtual hosting then)

I actually haven't seen many companies jump on to the cloud with the normal business apps. This may change when hardware refresh time arrives.

With the exception of hosted mail and the normal hosted Virtual web Server. Which was normal a decade ago in the form of a hosted physical or shared web services.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

The Cloud gets banged around far too much. Its a business term that means everything and nothing as a result.

From experience in a number of real projects you end up with a couple of key problems

Questions:
    Where does your data rest?
    How is your data secured at rest?
    How is physical access to the secured?

They live on amazon ec2/ec3/azure just doesn't cut it as an answer.

Which laws apply to data is another fun question if there is a chance it can migrate to the US should Amazon have another mystical lightning strike.

The one company I saw who had serious privacy concerns and wanted to address them hired a data-centre in Dublin to provide private cloud. (so virtual hosting then)

I actually haven't seen many companies jump on to the cloud with the normal business apps. This may change when hardware refresh time arrives.

With the exception of hosted mail and the normal hosted Virtual web Server. Which was normal a decade ago in the form of a hosted physical or shared web services.

I remember being at a conference in the US, and I was with some colleagues and I suggested we should write an RFC defining what a cloud is, and then anytime someone said cloud, if it didnt match what we had described, then it have to be called an RFC non-compliant cloud.

We may have been drinking at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Great idea but look at how all the major companies have rolled out there own version of something with had a RFC but they tacked on some custom/proprietary modification.

Also all good ideas come out of drinking...
    syklops wrote: »
    I remember being at a conference in the US, and I was with some colleagues and I suggested we should write an RFC defining what a cloud is, and then anytime someone said cloud, if it didnt match what we had described, then it have to be called an RFC non-compliant cloud.

We may have been drinking at the time.

Advertisement