Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supervalu Breaks

• 05-02-2012 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭

Quick question.. Does anyone know if there is still one getaway break free on the Supervalu loyalty fob like they had years ago? It doesnt say on the app form or website. I want to book one of the 5 star breaks in Cork that are €300 for two nights. Or would anyone know of any similar 5 star hotel deals around? Cheers :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

glen25 wrote: »
    Quick question.. Does anyone know if there is still one getaway break free on the Supervalu loyalty fob like they had years ago? It doesnt say on the app form or website. I want to book one of the 5 star breaks in Cork that are €300 for two nights. Or would anyone know of any similar 5 star hotel deals around? Cheers :-)

I signed up in December and got something like 400 free getaway break points, anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Libby029

I never shop anymore in Super Valu, and yet i booked a weekend away using my super value fob and it was grand. I wreckon if you don't have enough points on your fob when you try to book it, it won't let you do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭pedantic.pat

I signed up last week and got the 400 getaway points free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭kala85

Can u get free nights away with the supervalu breaks .

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭glen25

Thanks for the info everyone..registered the fob earlier and gonna book hotel tomw ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭dchris

I have amassed a massive amount of Supervalu points and decided to book one of their Getaway breaks! Turns out it costs exactly the same to book with the hotel directly as it does if I use 600 points ( I was booking 3 twin rooms) . I rang them and was told "it can happen, and they can't do anything about the hotels price".. Each instance which I checked I found this to be the same!

I also now have a sneaking suspicion that Supervalu could be charging commission to the hotels and here is why. If you book a room on Booking.com for example, they charge the hotel 15% .. Supervalu are basically doing the same as these online booking provider websites. I would imagine this is why we book via the Supervalu site and not direct with the hotel with a code , which you would imagine would be more cost affective. Supervalu seemed to have pumped a lot of money into this and in my opinion it is not as a special offer to reward loyalty of customers, but is basically it's exposing and recycling it's customer base to select hotel, and I would imagine this is done at a price to the hotels.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

I can't seen the value in these offers from SV. You can buy hotel breaks from pigsback, boardsdeals, etc, even from the hotel themselves at at least the same price. None of this crap of spending a fortune to collect points.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭dchris

The only reason I was using Supervalu is because the other store nearby is Tesco despite SV being more expensive. Things like this really bother me about store, I will not be using Supervalu anymore for the weekly shop (or booze every 2 days :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 49 myrns

:mad: A family member asked me to book them a weekend away as they had built up a few thousand points on their SV account and were really looking forward to it except there is no "deal" - for any prices of the hotels available on the SV site, I checked them against the actual prices on the hotel websites themselves only to find that they are 50-70euros less per couple per night :( So no deal, no point (excuse the pun) in collecting these it seems, better to go direct to the hotel website and check the prices

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭jluv

I've gone on alot of these breaks and yes theywere great value in the boom time but now the hotels themselves.Have gotten great deals through Ireland AM deals etc.Another thing is I sometimes travel with my parents who avail of the senior deals. Generally 3 nights B&B PLUS 3 evening meals for about €100 to €120. I call the hotel to say they need someone to travel with them(which in my case they do) and they allow me the same deal.Great value..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Ring the hotel and haggle, we always do and get as good and sometimes better deals.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭glen25

I'm just back from a SV 5 star break and I couldn't do any better than this deal. I contacted the hotel directly before booking and they couldn't match it. BTW Hayfield Manor in Cork is a savage hotel if anyone is thinking about booking a break soon.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

It doesn't matter how much points you have it just costs 400 which is annoying.
    I have 1600 and I'd like to have a greater discounts the more points one has.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭buzz55

Does anyone know if Inchydoney Island lodge & spa is ever available on SuperValu breaks or Lidl breaks or any of the 'deals'?

I would absolutely love to go there, but can't afford to based on the hotels own website prices :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

Despite my previous post saying its not worth it, I found a good deal. 3 nights for 2 adults and 2 kids, St Patricks weekend Fri-Sun, Breakfast and 1 Dinner- €198 in Breaffy house hotel in Mayo. Entertainment for the kids included and a leisure centre.
    Just checked now and its €51 cheaper than the special offer the hotel are running, I actually thought it would be worth more. Anyway Im happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Tinalouise

I looked at the SV site there now and it says that I have to pay €89 per person plus 400 points for a break. Am I reading it wrong?

buzz55 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if Inchydoney Island lodge & spa is ever available on SuperValu breaks or Lidl breaks or any of the 'deals'?

I would absolutely love to go there, but can't afford to based on the hotels own website prices :(
    I've never seen it on there. Yeah fab place..

kc66 wrote: »
    Despite my previous post saying its not worth it, I found a good deal. 3 nights for 2 adults and 2 kids, St Patricks weekend Fri-Sun, Breakfast and 1 Dinner- €198 in Breaffy house hotel in Mayo. Entertainment for the kids included and a leisure centre.
    Just checked now and its €51 cheaper than the special offer the hotel are running, I actually thought it would be worth more. Anyway Im happy with it.
    Stayed there. Nice hotel..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Regularly on the look out for a short stay hotel bargain but never saw any value in Supervalue's offers, and having to collect stamps, could always find similar or better offers around easily.

I think Lidl are better and you don't have to collect anything....

I'm going to a fairly big wedding in Vienna woods hotel Cork which is on Friday 23rd March and staying 3 nights BnB over weekend and only costs €30pps per night....how bad :)

(dinner option also available, 2course with tea/coffee)

Advertisement