Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Salthill nightclubs of old

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

padi89 wrote: »
    Nope that was Vagabonds.The Cjs bouncers used to be decked out in dickie bows if i remember correctly.:D
    Correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

Here are my memories:

The Oz (Oslo Hotel)
    Bogarts ( " )
    Setanta ( " )
    Cheers (Holiday Hotel)
    Saphires (Salthill Hotel)
    Rumours (Marquee - long since demolished)
    Twiggs (Eglinton Hotel).
    Vagabonds ( " " )
    Oasis/Liquid
    CJ's/ Baywatch

And what about the Manderly for a pint of Snake Bite if you were 14 and didn't want to get frost bite or wind swept from bushdrinking in Salthill Park

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭lorweld

Is the Warwick nightclub still going? For some reason the song Stuck in the middle with you never fails to remind me of the place. Clowns to the left of me................ ah the memories!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Two more

The Hangar
    The Ocean Wave
    wasn't it CJs where the bouncers wore t-shirts saying "Please Don't Fight"???

I specifically remember that one, but on the fact that "don't" didn't have the apostrophe. Typo by the tee-shirt crowd:D.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

lorweld wrote: »
    Is the Warwick nightclub still going? For some reason the song Stuck in the middle with you never fails to remind me of the place. Clowns to the left of me................ ah the memories!

Indeed it is. It only opens Fri and at nights now i believe. It was always very hot in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Went to an 'alternative' (mostly non-drinking) hen recently, the day of events was to end up in a nightclub, but there was much disagreement.

The Warwick came up, there was much rolling of eyes..but secretly we were all delighted! Back to the scene of the crime(s). Have to say the younger crowd there were ****e dancers that night, a lot of shuffling and looking around, we blew them off the floor :P

And I am pretty sure "stuck in the middle" was played.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭lorweld

inisboffin wrote: »
    And I am pretty sure "stuck in the middle" was played.
    :)
    Haha I'll have to plan a weekend down in Galway pretty soon and head to the Warwick for old time sake!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

Possibly :).
    This was 1988/1992, and I seem to remember that the Oasis looking derelict a few years ago so there is probably something different on the site now.

Nope. Passed it yesterday, its still there, still shut down, and getting grottier by the day.

To confuse things further though, I remember going to Ruby Tuesday in Setanta years back, around 92.

What was the name of that sergeant that seemed to be on a personal mission from god to close down every nightclub in Salthill?. Was it Sugrue?. I remember raising a toast to him and Judge Garavan (in absentia) any time I'd get sloshed out there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Andrea B. wrote: »
    The Hangar

:eek: The HANGAR ??

That was a ballroom or dancehall in the park beside the Garda station and closed down over 30 years ago ...which was before the word Nightclub was ever used in Galway ..in fact it was before the predecessor to the Nightclub appeared, namely the Dishco .

Once Dishcos became popular thanks to J. Travolta the Nightclub was invented to indicate that you really had to be over 18 to get in , thereby leaving the discos to the teenagers and to the 'fellas with cars' who offered them a lift home when they got tiddly .

The Ocean Wave brings back vague memories , none of which involve locating it , was it under the Eglinton hotel or beside the Burrenmount hotel which were apparently famous in the 1970s for some reason.

Open during my lifetime , and the only one I was ever actually IN of all the names in this post was the Hilltop just above the park beside the Garda Station ....on Dalysfort Road .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

The Ocean Wave brings back vague memories , none of which involve locating it , was it under the Eglinton hotel or beside the Burrenmount hotel which were apparently famous in the 1970s for some reason.

Nope. Big hotel opposite Blackrock where apartments are now. A kicking spot in 70's by all accounts. Remember it and hangar from pushchair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

Only one person has mention the Oz, there used to be a lot of bands playing there and didn't it become Setanta? Then there was the International and CJ's with all the complimentry passes that used to be hand out in the bars in town. This, of course, before any night clubs were opened in town. Was'nt the Bently the first in town?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

vulcan57 wrote: »
    This, of course, before any night clubs were opened in town. Was'nt the Bently the first in town?

Dont forget Kno-kno's. Spelling might be wrong but should be close enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭serfboard

kayos wrote: »
    Dont forget Kno-kno's. Spelling might be wrong but should be close enough.
    No, spelling is spot on. And yer man Richard Chapman had a cartoon in the advertiser featuring a fella walking past it saying "Krap Kname" :D

Thanks to the OP for the (very hazy) trip down memory lane ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

vulcan57 wrote: »
    Only one person has mention the Oz, there used to be a lot of bands playing there and didn't it become Setanta? Then there was the International and CJ's with all the complimentry passes that used to be hand out in the bars in town. This, of course, before any night clubs were opened in town. Was'nt the Bently the first in town?

The OZ became DeBurgos but at that stage Salthill was pretty dead ,people had moved into town.I remember at one stage there was a pretty big drugs raid in the place, don't know what it was operating as at the time.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,386 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Who else remembers the "Laser lights" in CJ's?! And Match Of the Day being shown on the projector screen inside? Ahhh, the memories :)

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭gmkgreaney

hi guys
    this is a brilliant thread and brings back some memories although i was just at the bushing age when most of theses clubs wer around , the oasis and the warwick were the only places i was in, anybody know whatever happened to nightlife in salthill?? everybody says it was the place to be

gmkgreaney wrote: »
    anybody know whatever happened to nightlife in salthill?? everybody says it was the place to be

In the 1980s and 1990s taxi plates were not given out ( maybe one small batch ) meaning Galway was short of cabs per capita and when digital closed they cost £50k at least maybe up to £80k (over €100k)

Salthill was pain in the hole to get to and from unless you walked there , then they moved a load of cops in there in 1994 who used to be based in Oughterard so you dare not drink and drive either.

That finished Salthill off .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Rumour has it that Rumours have it..........:D
    when we got older, it was the Oasis, often 7 nights a week.:cool:

serious i though coppers wer there alot longer then 94, some stories ya'd hear about the place though, im sure the locals wer delighted

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Ahh the Oasis, what bloody great memories I have of that (except for that bouncer taking my 'happy' off me:mad:).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Great times all right in Salthill, you only went out in town if you were a farmer, hairdresser, oldish or married and looking for the ride.

Warwick is still going, been to a few Psytrance nights there in the last year or two

There was also the traffic light disco that used to be on in O' Learys, forget what the club was called.

The bouncers in Vagabonds - you didn't **** with them, all mental bikers (suicide squad, I think they were called)

Oasis and setanta were also masquerading as the Temple for dance gigs.

The stairs down to the jacks in Trends, death trap!

Head

ya my sister was always in vagabonds from the age of 15 lol, i pass by it often when im hittin for killorans bar and wonder how the **** it was so popular or how u cud fit alot of people in there at 1 time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

The Sex Kitchen was the best club ever in Ireland....
    also remember a club called " feet first " :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭fish fingers

The Sex Kitchen was the best club ever in Ireland....
    also remember a club called " feet first " :)

Dont forget Jooce on a Saturday night:D

• Stky10 wrote: »
    What was the name of that sergeant that seemed to be on a personal mission from god to close down every nightclub in Salthill?. Was it Sugrue?. I remember raising a toast to him and Judge Garavan (in absentia) any time I'd get sloshed out there.

That was him.

News from 1995
    Gardai in Galway say that they will be seeking the closure of the Castle night club in Salthill after its owners were fined IR3k for permitting the sale of drugs on the premises. The owner, Henry Greally, claimed that he had done all that was possible to ensure that his patrons did not have drugs in their possession.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Smiles08

Hi - first time posting on the Galway forum :)
    This is a great thread. Just wondering if anyone remembers Gabby who was a bouncer in the Warwick circa 1990/- he used to wear a hat with two feathers in it and the rumour was he killed a man in Spain and served prison time. NOBODY ever argued with him!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Xenophon

Gabby Joyce was a bit of a 'character', renowned for losing it during brawls at the door. I remember being in the non-smoking carriage of the Dublin train once, and Gabby sat down opposite and proceeded to light up. Someone complained to the conductor, and he refused to stop smoking when asked. When the train stopped at Athlone, 2 coppers came on and bundled him off, and the whole carriage erupted with applause! Priceless.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭serfboard

Glad to see Gabby get a mention alright. He worked in various different pubs and clubs in Salthill - usually until he got into trouble for being a bit too "emphatic" in his bouncing!

Anyone know where he is now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    In the 1980s and 1990s taxi plates were not given out ( maybe one small batch ) meaning Galway was short of cabs per capita and when digital closed they cost £50k at least maybe up to £80k (over €100k)

Salthill was pain in the hole to get to and from unless you walked there , then they moved a load of cops in there in 1994 who used to be based in Oughterard so you dare not drink and drive either.

That finished Salthill off .

I think that had very little to do with it, the nightlife in Salthill just never moved with the times. Bigger and better(debatable) clubs & bars that were more professionally ran opened up in town and thus people followed, if i remember correctly CP's was pretty much the beginning of the end for Salthills nightlife.

• Advertisement

Gabby had a very short fuse but one night I was going in there and some young wan ( probably pissed and about 14 and smathered in makeup ) collapsed in front of us about 10 ft in front of Gabby

Gabby insisted that I and my mate lifted her and he brought us in and we put her lying inside on a bench by the cloakroom . He then nicked a few coats to put over her to keep her warm.

Then he said thanks lads and we were in for free. A bigger asshole would have left the young wan on the ground outside in the freezing cold . Plenty of them around .

She was seen staggering around the place by closing time .

After that I forgave him a lot of his atttitude problems, if you said howya Gabby on the way in he never gave off any bad vibes from what I remember .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement