Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does ADLI (German Brand Supermarket) have 'GMO' vegetables and fruits?

• 24-06-2011 3:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41

Hello,

I would like to know if all vegetables and fruits are genetically modified organisms (GMO) in ADLI (German Brand Supermarket). I am still unwilling to purchase any vegetables and fruits from ADLI, since I do not know if they are actually safe to eat.

Any reply would be appreciated.

Thanks.:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Rhalliord

gh1979 wrote: »
    Hello,

I would like to know if all vegetables and fruits are genetically modified organisms (GMO) in ADLI (German Brand Supermarket). I am still unwilling to purchase any vegetables and fruits from ADLI, since I do not know if they are actually safe to eat.

I eat them and I havent gotten sick since the outbreak occured if thats any help?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Why not contact them and ask??? :rolleyes:

From their website -

If you have a corporate or general enquiry write to us at:

Aldi Stores, Newbridge Road, Naas, County Kildare

Or telephone: 1800 509 324

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

I can understand your concerns, but their carrots are Irish grown, their spuds are from Meath and their mushrooms are from Monaghan if that is any help?

They do source what they can locally as far as i know.

I get most fruit and veg there and i have not sprouted any extra limbs yet... that i have noticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Food & Drink

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

Hello,

I never bought anything in Aldi before but as far as I know GMO food is banned in the European Union. I believe that some farm animals are fed GM feed though :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,905 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

If I understand the legislation correctly GMO food has to be marked as such and cannot be sold as normal food.
    Farm animals that have been fed nuts/concentrate have usually been eating GMO feed, most of the Soy is GMO and states it on the pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭yawnstretch

I contacted Lidl to ask them if their vegetables are irradiated and they confirmed that they are not.

Which is nice :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

What about DUNNES STORES, TESCO, SUPER VALU, SUPERQUINN or LIDL?

EU regulations state that any food that has been irradiated or is a GMO has to be labelled as such.
    It makes no difference which supermarket it is, they all have to follow the same regulations.
    If food has been subject to irradiation it must state that.
    If food is from GMO origin it must state that.
    The most common way that you will ingest GMO is indirectly from animals that have been fed feedstuffs that contain GM Soy or other grains.
    Go to any farm co-op and have a look at a feed bag they have the ingredients listed on the back and most of them have GM grains as a constituent part of the feed.
    Also Frying oil based on soy is likely to contain GM soy oil.
    If you are concerned about GM food then buy local organic produce or grow your own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 gh1979

CJhaughey wrote: »
    EU regulations state that any food that has been irradiated or is a GMO has to be labelled as such.
    It makes no difference which supermarket it is, they all have to follow the same regulations.
    If food has been subject to irradiation it must state that.
    If food is from GMO origin it must state that.
    The most common way that you will ingest GMO is indirectly from animals that have been fed feedstuffs that contain GM Soy or other grains.
    Go to any farm co-op and have a look at a feed bag they have the ingredients listed on the back and most of them have GM grains as a constituent part of the feed.
    Also Frying oil based on soy is likely to contain GM soy oil.
    If you are concerned about GM food then buy local organic produce or grow your own.

What would be your opinion of the safety of consuming any animals if they had been fed feedstuffs which contained any GM intake? If you cannot answer this question, that is fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭yawnstretch

What would be your opinion of the safety of consuming any animals if they had been fed feedstuffs which contained any GM intake? If you cannot answer this question, that is fine.

That's a terrific question. I'd prefer to eat an animal that ate GM/irradiated food than eat the affected food directly (puts me one step away) but yeah- crap in, crap out.

My opinion?
    I have eaten supermarket meat. I still do.
    I don't have a lot of choice really as I can only grow a limited amount of my own meat in any given year.
    BUT when I feed my pigs I buy Organic feedstuff, its not cheap but I think its worth it.
    I would prefer if there was no GM meal in the majority of feedstuffs but thats the way it is and I can't do much about it.
    Safety? who knows what GM stuff does? It hasn't been around long enough to know. What worries me more is the chemical residues that are probably contained by the GM cereals, they can tolerate sprays of herbicides like Roundup as they are designed to.
    That and the whole ethical issue of companies like Monsanto controlling the lives of millions of farmers in the developing world...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

I contacted Lidl to ask them if their vegetables are irradiated and they confirmed that they are not.

Which is nice :)

Most spices in Europe are irradiated. Irradiation is a costly process so only used on high value lines like spices.

Hello,

As said above GMO crops are required to be labelled. Aldi actually source a good bit of its produce from Irish farmers who supply the other multiples in Ireland too.

Rhalliord wrote: »
    I eat them and I havent gotten sick since the outbreak occured if thats any help?

Tink you got your wires crossed with Ecoli.

Ohh right, this is just another one of the anti GM threads that springs up on boards that wants to educate us to the life threating effects of consuming GMOs, without any independent research studies to back up that consuming GMO is dangerous rather than the OP asking a genuine question. I await the usual Youtube Vids.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭LaVail

Corsendonk wrote: »
    Ohh right, this is just another one of the anti GM threads that springs up on boards that wants to educate us to the life threating effects of consuming GMOs, without any independent research studies to back up that consuming GMO is dangerous rather than the OP asking a genuine question. I await the usual Youtube Vids.

To be fair OP seems to be asking a genuine question, and besides where is the independent research that says GM is 100% safe to eat?

I find this an interesting topic for a couple of reasons..

1. I dont know how many/if any Irish stores sell GM
    2. I dont know if they are safe to eat or not

The topic of GM was all the rage when it came out but now you hardly hear anything about it anywhere. Nowadays we know very little of how our food is produced or what goes into it, well I dont anyway :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 gh1979

Corsendonk wrote: »

What is a genuine question if it is related to the danger of consuming GMO?

Can you show me which some of the usual Youtube Videos on GMO should I watch?

What is a genuine question if it is related to the danger of consuming GMO?

Can you show me which some of the usual Youtube Videos on GMO should I watch?

Sustainability forum has a GMO Mega thread running. do a forum search and it should pop up.

LaVail wrote: »
    To be fair OP seems to be asking a genuine question, and besides where is the independent research that says GM is 100% safe to eat?

I find this an interesting topic for a couple of reasons..

1. I dont know how many/if any Irish stores sell GM
    2. I dont know if they are safe to eat or not

The topic of GM was all the rage when it came out but now you hardly hear anything about it anywhere. Nowadays we know very little of how our food is produced or what goes into it, well I dont anyway :confused:

Well actually just finished a highly interesting book on adulteration of food and lets say I wouldn't eat any food in 1800s in England. Now we have laws and regulation in place to ensure Food Safety for the consumer.

The reason why we as Irish know so little about farming today and how food is produced is because Irish society is moving away from farming. 1-2 generations ago the majority of the population had relatives that owned a farm and had some experience of growing up or working on the farm during the summer hols.

GMO food as said above by a previous poster has to be labelled as GMO. If you wish to remain GMO free, best to avoid meat as said by another poster most animal feed comes with a warning that it may contain GMO. I am wary of organic meat as a couple of the large food fraud cases in recent years was by fraudsters passing conventional feed off as organic.

The question about GMO products being available to buy in Ireland I haven't had an answer to. I have asked that question on several Irish anti GMO sites and never got an example. One or two non GMO labelled products such as rice are found to contain GMO material every year. M & S use to stock a GMO tomato paste but not since the first frankenstein foods scare.

• Advertisement

If you want to buy some GM food buy a catering size pack of Frying oil. 20l
    They nearly all contain GM oil from Soy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Sum4now

Hi there, Aldi claim food which have the Aldi own brand label are gluten free, so beware of products sold there that aren't marked as Aldi's brand.. I am sure they changed the rules a few years ago as most of co-op food and Tesco's finest were marked as containing GM, then suddenly they all stopped putting this on these products, so I trust none of them! Hope this helps!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Sum4now, welcome to boards. Please do not bump threads that are more than 6 months old.

Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement