Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Re-cast the actors!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Gauge wrote: »
    Personally I'd like Naveen Andrews for the Red Viper, and reading the books I couldn't help imagining Maggie Smith as the Queen of Thorns.
    Great Zarquon, yes!

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭jimmurt

Don't like the actress playing Asha, always imagined her to be hotter:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

James Gandolfini as Jorah Mormont
    Dame Judy Dench as Queen of Thorns

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Stannis: Mark Strong

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

Wish I hadn't read this thread, now I can only picture Mark Strong as Stannis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Sleepy wrote: »
    Can't imagine them getting Maggie Smith with her already doing Downton Abbey though!

Don't rule her out just yet! "She is keen to pursue other roles so Julian (Fellowes) is preparing to write her out".

• Registered Users Posts: 24,143 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

hardCopy wrote: »
    James Gandolfini as Jorah Mormont
    Dame Judy Dench as Queen of Thorns
    I could see Gandolfini as Lord Commander Jeor Mormont, but is he not a bit old and fat to be Ser Jorah?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Sleepy wrote: »
    I could see Gandolfini as Lord Commander Jeor Mormont, but is he not a bit old and fat to be Ser Jorah?
    Probably. In different circumstances though I could have seen him work as Jorah, I don't recall the books version resembling Iain Glen's (fantastic) Jorah, who, judging by some of the female reactions to him, is a bit *ahem* studly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Maybe it's been suggested before ???? but they could recast Tyrion for a younger model easilly..... Don't know why I didn't see it sooner until an excited Ms.Calex went into fits of giggles the other night and said it hey he looks like an older ........... :D

tyrion-lannister-1024.jpg?f0f9df

Justin_Bieber_011.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

That would only work if whatever character bieber played dies roaring.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Tzar Chasm wrote: »
    That would only work if whatever character bieber played dies roaring.

There are many to choose from in this series :p

• Registered Users Posts: 24,143 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

It'd certainly make the Blackwater more interesting when
    Tyrion has half his nose hacked off with an axe.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Cokeistan

Brendan Gleason as Robert Baratheon, just dye his hair black :).

Liam Neeson as Ned Stark, which would allow Sean Bean to play Davos.

Gabriel Byrne as Littlefinger.

Michael Gambon as Tywin Lannister.

Michael Fassbender as Jaime Lannister

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

TobyRyan wrote: »
    Will Smith...are you for real?

I loved the series but hated knowing that Ned Stark was going to be killed..bye bye Sean Bean :(
    Poor Sean always gets bumped.

31674L.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

FrostyJack wrote: »
    now I can only picture Mark Strong as Stannis
    mikemac1 wrote: »
    Stannis: Mark Strong
    Mark Strong for Stannis.
    Gauge wrote: »
    I wanted Mark Strong for Stannis as well..

I'm so glad I'm not alone on this. He was the first actor to pop into my head for Stannis and he won't get out. The current fella is doing a grand job though.

HOXNX.jpg

And then there's the voice...

I can't think of anyone to replace him right now, but Finn Jones is no where near good-looking enough to play Loras Tyrell. We're told he's so beautiful that women swoon around him and whisper stories to each other about him. He is described as being as pretty as Cersei:
    dzQkc.jpg

Ehhhh.....He's really annoying too.

Best replacement I can think of is Leonardo DiCaprio circa Romeo & Juliet:
    LcXzY.jpg

Of course that would require time travel but I can't think of anyone around at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

I'll admit I get a little bit swoon-y for Loras :o especially since he grew his hair and got rid of that awful wig!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 cafe.laka

Found this the other day.

This is Tamzin Merchant, who was originally cast to play Dany. She played Catherine Howard in the Tudors.

Personally I can't see it myself.

What do you think?

320px-Tamzin_merchant.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

^ No

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

No, I can't really think of anyone other than Emilia Clarke in that role now, she's totally made it her own.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, I think the Tyrells are poorly cast. Ser Loras is pretty much supposed to be a more boyish Jaime Lannister and Margaery is supposed to be stunningly beautiful. Neither of the actors cast as the Tyrells fit that bill.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Robert Carlyle as Roose Bolton would have been good.

I always thought Robert Carlyle would be a good Mance Rayder - he is supposed to be unassuming looking.

I really want to see James Callis cast as Euron Greyjoy.

Naveen Andrews works for me for the Red Viper too.

Totally agree Ser Loras is not handsome enough, he almost has a chubby face, and he is a bit too camp as well. He has a look of discontent as well. Would have preferred someone better looking. The guy who played Viserys could have been a good Ser Loras.

James Gandolfini for Ser Jorah - are you mad!!! Ser Jorah is perfect as he is - handsome and tough, James Gandolini doesnt look like he could swing a golf club let alone a sword!

Id like to see Ray Stevenson cast somewhere too - I just like the actor and think he fits the world. He would have worked as Bronn.

A younger Cillian Murphy would have been perfect for Ramsay Snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Ethan Edwards

Id like to see Ray Stevenson cast somewhere too - I just like the actor and think he fits the world.

If we are casting people from Rome then James Purefoy is a must, maybe as one of Dany's mercenaries.

If we are casting people from Rome then James Purefoy is a must, maybe as one of Dany's mercenaries.

Apparently he said he wouldnt do GoT, and came off a bit sour grapes about it (later saying it was a joke).

I dunno, I liked him in Rome, but I dont know if I like him enough to be in GoT, he isnt bad, but there are better people out there IMO.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Ser Jorah isn't supposed to be handsome, at least he isn't described as being that way in the books.

Personally I think the casting of the Tyrells, Yara etc has been good. Usually television shows are full of actors who are far too good looking for the roles they are supposed to be playing, so I like the reversal. I also think that many of the descriptions of the characters' looks in the books are intentionally hyperbolic, as they typically are a character's opinion, and often a second hand opinion at that. Not every character can be the most beautiful person in the world ever or the ugliest troll in history... and even if the actors cast were, beauty is highly subjective anyway.

Ser Jorah isn't supposed to be handsome, at least he isn't described as being that way in the books.

Sorry, I should have said "TV Ser Jorah is perfect as he is" - certainly I didnt picture him fat and unwieldy from the books.
    Usually television shows are full of actors who are far too good looking for the roles they are supposed to be playing, so I like the reversal.

I agree. I like that they are casting unusual looking people (whether good looking or not), examples being Brienne (although Gwendolyne Christie is much better looking than book Brienne), Mackenzie Crook for Orell (I think he will be great, he looks so 'skittery'), Lysa Arryn (the actress's name escapes me), The Hound and the Mountain look amazing, and people like Jaqen H'ghar who has had great on screen presence.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

The Hound and the Mountain look amazing, and people like Jaqen H'ghar who has had great on screen presence.

The first Mountain looked amazing. Any mention on what the situation is for him next season?

I wouldn't go for Mark Strong as Stannis. I think he needs to lack charisma.

If Mark Addy had been a foot taller he would've been a better Robert.

There's not many 40-50 year old, 6ft4, white, slightly rotund actors around.

I suppose that if you didn't know that Robert was as big as he was from the book it would've been less of a problem. It's just hard to picture Addy being this colossus on the field of battle with a massive hammer.

The only major roles that I didn't buy were Renly and Loras. They look like pansies and nothing like the knights of reknown from the books. I doubt any knight was ever built as slightly as either of them were. As opposed to a sort of Jamie-Lannisteresque arrogance to them brought about by being serious warriors they just seem silly. Renly isn't supposed to be somewhat interchangeable with Little Finger in appearance but that's how he appears.

If Christ Hemworth had dyed his hair black he'd have been a cracking Renly.
    Dunno about Loras.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Dubhlinner

^^^

I thought Coster Waldau made a pretty good Jamie. Jason Lewis may have been good too.

The guy who played Loras should have been made do some weights before taking up the role, like the guy who played Gendry clearly was. Even a month or two or decent training would have made him look a lot more suitable.

Completely agree about Robert, was always gonna be a difficult one to cast. Addy did a cracking job with the personality though.

The mountain was fantastic in Season 1, the one at harrenhall seemed too lanky

• Registered Users Posts: 14,420 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Saw someone..somewhere suggest Clive Mantle who played the Greatjon would have been a good Robert if he were a bit younger. Someone his size would have been right anyway, Mark Addy was a bit short to be Robert.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Ryu Hayabusa

James Belushi as Eddard Stark

• Advertisement

If they ever did any flashback scenes, Id like to see Aerys II Targaryen, The Mad King, played by Bill Nighy.

Advertisement