Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2000 Ford Focus Engine Problem

• 02-05-2012 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

2000,Mk1 Focus, 1.4 petrol hatchback, circa 119k

Recently developed a problem which i initially thought was leakage from the badly rusted exhaust, replaced both the back and centre box but still have the same problem.

Sounds now like it could be a misfire?

On idle the engine seems fine, and the RPM needle is rock solid.
    Revving in neutral also sounds fine.
    But under any pressure, like accelerating, a slow, jerking acceleration is given. On cruise runs grand, but going uphill the same happens and will lose power, the needle also drops 50RPM or so before recovering.
    Also fuel consumption has risen significantly.

I've dropped a bit of injector cleaner in a full tank today and ran it for 50 miles but still have the same problem.

Oil change, air and oil filters, HT lead change, plugs change all only circa 6k ago (3 months-ish). Any ideas wot could be the problem?

Plan to pop new plugs in tomorrow, but the old ones look fine. Trying to start at the cheapest option and working up!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Andy013

McWotever wrote: »
    2000,Mk1 Focus, 1.4 petrol hatchback, circa 119k

Recently developed a problem which i initially thought was leakage from the badly rusted exhaust, replaced both the back and centre box but still have the same problem.

Sounds now like it could be a misfire?

On idle the engine seems fine, and the RPM needle is rock solid.
    Revving in neutral also sounds fine.
    But under any pressure, like accelerating, a slow, jerking acceleration is given. On cruise runs grand, but going uphill the same happens and will lose power, the needle also drops 50RPM or so before recovering.
    Also fuel consumption has risen significantly.

I've dropped a bit of injector cleaner in a full tank today and ran it for 50 miles but still have the same problem.

Oil change, air and oil filters, HT lead change, plugs change all only circa 6k ago (3 months-ish). Any ideas wot could be the problem?

Plan to pop new plugs in tomorrow, but the old ones look fine. Trying to start at the cheapest option and working up![/Quotei

I'd say your problem is the coil . Very Commen to go on the focus.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭McWotever

That has been mentioned to me alright....sounds expensive!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

There are two common causes of misfires on the Focus, failing coilpacks and water getting into the spark plug recesses due to the frost plugs in the cylinder head leaking.

Pop the plug leads off the plugs and have a look down into the recess to see of there is any water or major rust, in not then a coilpack is likely.

There are two common causes of misfires on the Focus, failing coilpacks and water getting into the spark plug recesses due to the frost plugs in the cylinder head leaking.

Pop the plug leads off the plugs and have a look down into the recess to see of there is any water or major rust, in not then a coilpack is likely.

By coilpack do you mean ignition coil?

By coilpack do you mean ignition coil?

No I mean coilpack;) They are not quite the same thing. A Focus doesn't use an ignition coil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Andy013

By coilpack do you mean ignition coil?[/Quote

Yes coil pack is the ignition coil. The frost plugs leaking are on the new shape 05 focus. So you don't have to worry about that. I think the coils are about 160 - 180. Had to get one last year for my car.

Don't say that! LOL

Looked at micks garage they are saying €40ish.

Unless the figure you are quoting is supplied and fitted in a garage? Looks like a handy enough DIY job to test and replace.

Andy013 wrote: »

By coilpack do you mean ignition coil?[/Quote

Yes coil pack is the ignition coil. The frost plugs leaking are on the new shape 05 focus. So you don't have to worry about that. I think the coils are about 160 - 180. Had to get one last year for my car.

The same engine was used in the later model Mk1 focus as well with the same problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Get an OEM one if you need it replaced. A spurious coilpack won't last. Speaking from experience here!

Hal1 wrote: »
    Get an OEM one if you need it replaced. A spurious coilpack won't last. Speaking from experience here!

Cheap spurios ones don't last. ;)

• Advertisement

Coil pack replaced as were the plugs, and no improvement.

No corrosion on HT leads.

Noticed a small leak from the exhaust, from the new joint between the cat and the centre box, ran out of exhaust sealant so still a small leak, that wouldnt cause the problem would it?

Meant to say that the engine thru a certain range interfered with the radio, which led me to believe it was a HT problem.

At a loss now, think i'll have to bite the bullet and get a diagnostic ran on it.

Coil pack replaced as were the plugs, and no improvement.

No corrosion on HT leads.

Noticed a small leak from the exhaust, from the new joint between the cat and the centre box, ran out of exhaust sealant so still a small leak, that wouldnt cause the problem would it?

Meant to say that the engine thru a certain range interfered with the radio, which led me to believe it was a HT problem.

At a loss now, think i'll have to bite the bullet and get a diagnostic ran on it.

Replaced with a new coilpack or second hand?

If new then use a spray bottle to spray water over the HT leads while the engine is running. If there is a break anywhere you may see the spark coming out of any damaged area.

Brand new. Will try that trick in the mornin.

Tested both old and new coil pack with a multimeter, both gave the same reading, both outside of the range stated in the Haynes manual.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

Did you gap the plugs before you fitted them?

Did you gap the plugs before you fitted them?

Think the days of gapping plugs are long gone. They all come pre gapped, any plugs I've put in to it before have been anyway.
    The last plugs only had 6k on them, so they had 6k of good running, and the new ones are obviously new, with the same result, so I think I can rule out plugs?
    Could be HT lead? But they are new too(6k), and give a good reading across a multimeter, unless there is a small break in them I suppose.

Think the days of gapping plugs are long gone. They all come pre gapped, any plugs I've put in to it before have been anyway.
    The last plugs only had 6k on them, so they had 6k of good running, and the new ones are obviously new, with the same result, so I think I can rule out plugs?
    Could be HT lead? But they are new too(6k), and give a good reading across a multimeter, unless there is a small break in them I suppose.

Utterly untrue. What made you think the ones you got where pre gapped?

In most cased the same model and heat range of plug will fit several engines, its the gap of the plug that is engine specific.

I have lost count of the number of times we have seen 1.4 and 1.6 Fords with your symptoms which were cured by simply gapping the plugs ;)

Ah, ok so, obviously been fed bad info.

I obviously have to measure and possibly re-gap.

Would new plugs not of solved the situation thou?

In the absense of a tool, i've checked the old plugs against each other and the gap is the same. They came pre-gapped (maybe that's where i picked it up wrong) at 1.3mm, which is the same as ford specs.

Note: it could of been 1.4mm, but regardless it was the same as ford specs.

My only really unknown is the HT leads I suppose, maybe there could be a broken wire in one of them?

Gap them to 1mm and see what happens.

• Advertisement

In the absense of a tool, i've checked the old plugs against each other and the gap is the same. They came pre-gapped (maybe that's where i picked it up wrong) at 1.3mm, which is the same as ford specs.

Note: it could of been 1.4mm, but regardless it was the same as ford specs.

My only really unknown is the HT leads I suppose, maybe there could be a broken wire in one of them?

Well 1.3 or 1.4 is far to big anyway.

Point taken, but that is Fords recommendation and I am not in a position to question that. It was 1.3mm by the way.

1.3mm is the recommended gap but it is too big in our experience. Try 1mm or even slightly less and see how you get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

i beleive it is recomended to change the plug leads when changing the coil pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 vasidave

I have a 99 focus 1.6 and I have the same problem ... exhaust leaking... no power but in the morning, when engine is cold, everything sense to be ok, until engine warm up... I change the temperature engine sensor etc ...as well... the only thing I didn't change is IGNITION COIL... I'm pissed off...

• Registered Users Posts: 2 vasidave

I just change IGNITION COIL , and is running great !!!!!

Advertisement