Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Viber

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Viber

@Snaggerman - very small bug fixes and API updates.
    Why can't you add favorites? What exactly is the problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Snaggerman wrote: »
    So, whats changed in todays update, (Ver 2.03)? Didn't see any changelog. Still no online contacts button and I can't seem to add favourites:confused:

On viber contacts, select the contact you wish to add to fav's, once the contacts details are on screen, touch the star at the top right if the screen, voila, they ste now a favorite on your list.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Viber wrote: »
    @draffodx - Yes, when WiFi is available, Viber keeps your phone connected to WiFi instead of switching over to 3G, for several reasons:
    1. it doesn't eat up your 3G data.
    2. it wants to stay available to receive calls/texts.
    3. as a whole, WiFi reception is usually better than 3G.

This function should be meaningless, since your phone switches to 3G anyway (i.e it would have stayed connected the internet anyway).

Interesting, can I ask how this is achieved? I know SIPDroid forces the WiFi sleep policy to never but this doesn't seem to work.

Do you continually send data to the WiFi adapter to keep it alive or something like that?

draffodx wrote: »
    Interesting, can I ask how this is achieved? I know SIPDroid forces the WiFi sleep policy to never but this doesn't seem to work.

Do you continually send data to the WiFi adapter to keep it alive or something like that?

We send timed KeepAlives to signal our server that the contact is online (in order to stay available for calls/texts). Those KeepAlives are relatively rare, but they are enough to prevent your WiFi from idling too long and shutting off. It's important to note that those keepalives are extremely light and do not waste your battery or your data (when on 3G).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭thecivvie

I use viber from work but the mall changed the firewall and now viber is blocked. Is there anyway to use viber from behind a firewall?

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Advertisement

thecivvie wrote: »
    I use viber from work but the mall changed the firewall and now viber is blocked. Is there anyway to use viber from behind a firewall?

In order to use Viber behind a firewall, enable the following ports (ingoing AND outgoing):
    TCP: 5242 + 4244
    UDP: 5243 + 9785

• Registered Users Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭frash

Sorry if this has been asked & answered before but I'm new to Viber & have some friends on it already.
    I'm on Android & when I send to other Androids the message goes to 'delivered' and I know they got the message.
    When I send to iPhones the message only goes to 'sent' and they don't seem to get the message.

Anyone seen this?

frash wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been asked & answered before but I'm new to Viber & have some friends on it already.
    I'm on Android & when I send to other Androids the message goes to 'delivered' and I know they got the message.
    When I send to iPhones the message only goes to 'sent' and they don't seem to get the message.

Anyone seen this?

Did you make absolutely sure that the iPhone users were online at the time when you sent the message? Did they check their connection, and try to reinstall Viber?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭dragona

I am having a problem with the ringtone on Viber - HTC Sensation, ie. can barely hear it, it is just a low sort of hum, with volume turned up to max. I am missing a lot of calls:(

Did you make absolutely sure that the iPhone users were online at the time when you sent the message? Did they check their connection, and try to reinstall Viber?

Not sure if they were online at the time but it's been days since I sent it so I'm sure they were online at some stage since. It still says 'sent' on my phone & not 'delivered'.

I've since just sent them a regular SMS message as I can't reply on Viber which I'm surprised at given the amount of users on it.

• Advertisement

dragona wrote: »
    I am having a problem with the ringtone on Viber - HTC Sensation, ie. can barely hear it, it is just a low sort of hum, with volume turned up to max. I am missing a lot of calls:(

Custom ROM?

@frash - let's do this: find a friend who has Viber on iPhone. Text them on Viber when they're right next to you, in order to make sure they are online and receiving this message.
    Also - tell them to reinstall Viber and download the latest version from AppStore, to make sure they don't have some old version of the app.

@frash - let's do this: find a friend who has Viber on iPhone. Text them on Viber when they're right next to you, in order to make sure they are online and receiving this message.
    Also - tell them to reinstall Viber and download the latest version from AppStore, to make sure they don't have some old version of the app.

ok will do - will get back to you in a few days

In order to use Viber behind a firewall, enable the following ports (ingoing AND outgoing):
    TCP: 5242 + 4244
    UDP: 5243 + 9785

Have no way to get them to open it, I know other apps have an option to bypass somehow but I prefer viber

thecivvie wrote: »
    Have no way to get them to open it, I know other apps have an option to bypass somehow but I prefer viber

Viber's solution to bypass such blocks was adding the second set of ports (it used to be only 2, now it's 4), but as you can understand, some networks can simply block ALL ports except for the specific ones they need opened.

There is no running away from it - you'll simply have to ask the network administrators to open it :(

Hi everyone,
    We've got something for you: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=248718625168983&set=a.159436647430515.31697.121349544572559&type=1&ref=nf

Do you think you know what this is? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Windows viber. Now that's pretty cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭dragona

Custom ROM?
    Nope straight out the box.

@dragona - I must say we haven't heard of this problem before from Sensation users. It's especially strange in light of the fact that you have stock ROM (we've just tested it here in our labs again just to make sure).

Try contacting HTC's support - there is unfortunately not much we can do about it :(

Viber's solution to bypass such blocks was adding the second set of ports (it used to be only 2, now it's 4), but as you can understand, some networks can simply block ALL ports except for the specific ones they need opened.

There is no running away from it - you'll simply have to ask the network administrators to open it :(

No chance of that. Changing networks next month so will have plenty of available data :)

• Advertisement

The update contacts is a bit off on viber.
    I had my friend in it the last month or two and it really freaked me out because the mate that appeared to have viber actually commited suicide last year.
    Eventually I tried ringing it and it was my nieces number over in France that rang. I tried another one or two and even though it says in viber contacts who it is, it rings my niece again.

seanybiker wrote: »
    I had my friend in it the last month or two and it really freaked me out because the mate that appeared to have viber actually commited suicide last year.
    Eventually I tried ringing it and it was my nieces number over in France that rang. I tried another one or two and even though it says in viber contacts who it is, it rings my niece again.

Let me get it straight - the problem is that inside Viber's contact list, some contacts are actually others? When you enter all these people's numbers, do you really see your niece's number?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

seanybiker wrote: »

Sounds kinda like what happened to me where the same number started turning up under multiple contacts. Have you restored Viber from a backup recently at all? Mine was caused by a backup conflict and a clean install solved it

Mega Chin wrote: »
    Sounds kinda like what happened to me where the same number started turning up under multiple contacts. Have you restored Viber from a backup recently at all? Mine was caused by a backup conflict and a clean install solved it

Thanks for the info. A few more questions if I may:
    1. when this happened, did the number that was planted inside other people's contacts was actually written INSIDE their contact pages? (in other words - the number literally overrode the old number of the wrong contacts, or simply when you called these people, you suddenly reached a different person and were surprised?)
    2. the backup you mentioned - you mean a backup of Android?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Thanks for the info. A few more questions if I may:
    1. when this happened, did the number that was planted inside other people's contacts was actually written INSIDE their contact pages? (in other words - the number literally overrode the old number of the wrong contacts, or simply when you called these people, you suddenly reached a different person and were surprised?)
    2. the backup you mentioned - you mean a backup of Android?

1. Yep. 2 contacts number started appearing in multiple other contacts. Some who had Viber, some who dont.
    2. The backup was an App & Data backup I did with Titanium when flashing to a new custom ROM

Yea... titanium is causing a lot of such problems, i was suspecting you'd say that :)

Ah well. Not much we can do - we can't control the outcome of such backups, but I'm glad a reinstall of Viber fixed this.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,460 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Not meaning to sound like a knob but surely changing the ringtone wouldn't be a huge deal.

Is it looking to a specific file and if you swapped in another with the same name would it work as the ringtone?

Mega Chin wrote: »
    Yeah I done a backup. Not with titanium though. I used the inbuilt backup on miui.
    Yeah viber the numbers are in the contact. Ill do a fresh install now

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Deadly Delta

Hi All,

For the past week or so, viber has been crashing the contacts process on my xperia x8. When Viber is running, every time I go in to my phone contacts, the phone hangs and I get the message "Android.process.acore has stopped unexpectedly". A short time after Viber crashes and restarts.

From what i've googled, this error occurs when data cannot be syncd.

I have tried removing Viber and my contacts work fine.

One thing to note is that all of my phone contacts are stored on my google account and not stored on locally on my phone or sim, so maybe this is causing the problem with syncing?

Another thing is the contacts on viber seems to be a bit random, sometimes it says no contacts yet and sometimes it shows them all.

Is anyone else having similar problems?

Viber crashing log is attached.

• Advertisement

In general, there are *some* known problems with Viber syncing contacts that have been imported from an external source, but definitely not a crash.

May I ask just how many contacts were synced?
    Also - are you using a custom ROM?
    Lastly - does your phone/SIM contain NO contacts at all? they're ALL on stored on the Google account?

Advertisement