Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mrs. Roundy Needs A Car...

• 29-08-2006 12:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭

... and I would like to hear some advice from you folks.

No scratch that, I would love to hear your opinions, I know you've all got at least one. :D

Basically, we're a two car household, and will remain so. At present Mrs. Roundy is driving a big comfy Korean family hack (Daewoo Leganza-bought from a boardsie), which has covered 30k in the last year without complaint. I drive the car pictured below, and that's *not* going anywhere...

Now she's changing careers and will be working much closer to home than formerly, so no need for millions of airbags, traction control, and 2 litre fuel consumption anymore.

So, I want to buy something fun, reliable, 1.4 or less at a pinch, that looks good. 2 doors fine, but not two seats unfortunately. Did I mention fun?

We don't subscribe to number plate envy, having done the new car thing in the past-I find it hard to justify the hit of a '06, it's just not for me. Therefore age is not an issue, nor is price, although I don't want to go mad either.

Given these humble requirements, I came up with the following. If any of you have read this far, thanks for bearing with, and I would love to hear any ideas, no matter how esoteric they may seem...
    • Toyota Glanza-Love the notion of these, not a whole lot against them, bar the asshole stigma that goes with them :(
    • Daihatsu Charade DeTomaso-Bloody impossible to find with essential service history and TLC, I should have got one in the early nineties.
    • Alfa 146/7-Love 'em but I'm not that brave. I can't sacrifice form for function or lack of to that degree IMHO. Please don't flame. Anyway, too thirsty.
    • Citreon Saxo VTR-Not convinced as to reliability, but input would be good.
    • Seat Ibiza Sport-GTI too thirsty, old model bland looking...

Don't want much, do I?

:)

DSCF0300.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

What about an e36 coupe to go with your e30? I know it's bigger than 1.4, but they're a nice drive.

BTW, don't sacrifice the safety extras if you don't have to - most accidents happen within a mile of your home, or so I've heard...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

How about a Peugeot 206 XS (1.6l)? Nice to drive, looks well and usually have a nice bit of spec.
    Or a Lupo GTi (1.6l)? I've never driven one but I've always wanted to. Going on reports I've read, it seems like an enjoyable drive and a bit of fun.
    Or even a Puma 1.4? Wouldn't have considered it until I had one for a weekend a couple of years ago and I was really impressed. Great handling, pokey for a 1.4 and it's stylish in a weird way. The interior will not impress and the ride is a bit stiff but it really is great fun on a back road. Ideally the 1.7 or 1.6 but I'd settle for a 1.4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Thanks to both of you :)

@ Fey: I am *very* tempted by his and hers beemers, but she wants something a little "smaller" :rolleyes:

Safety is a consideration of course, and your point is well taken.

@eljono: That's what I'm talkin' about! I'm going to look at some prices now...

Incidentally, I saw a nice 146 hatch the other day, liked it...

I was never a great one for logic when it comes to cars, so who knows?

There's a lovely looking (from a distance at least) Glanza over on adverts.ie.

Very saucy price for a private sale though, and is that oil residue under the bonnet?

engine_007.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Fiesta 1.6 Zetec427866_20060709050740_2.jpg

Not the biggest fan of the Ford Clutch but if you can overcome that....

ColtglasnevinautosColSIL805.jpg

With this there is always the possibility that the dealer is lying about c/l e/w etc, but if you can overcome that.....

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I know it's a 1.8, and I'm not sure how much it'll cost, but how about this:http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=001&item=110026201126&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

• Advertisement

...And that's why I love this forum!

Colt: Excellent choice, sir. I used to have one, never missed a beat.

Golf: Anan1, I think I just wet my pants a little :D. That car looks pretty good, and I'm in Newry next week... Watch this space while I consult with the War Office.

Thanks again folks, food for thought there.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,364 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Auctions%20JDM%20Japanese%20Imports%20Cars%20Japan%20Exporter%20(16).jpg

Howsa bout a Toyota Sera. Bulletproof reliabiliy, 1.5 Starlet engine, minimal depreciation, weird doors!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,059 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Have to loose those white alloy wheels though. They look so chav imo.

absolutely, just suggesting the Sera in general.
    16_sera_2.jpg

I think that's the coolest yet tbh. I was thinking Jap anyway, for equipment levels and overall condition. Even parts don't seem to be too much of an issue. I have never seen one of those Colm, are they common up in Dublin?

Edit/ Two on cbg, one just up the road from me in Limerick: asking €3950 dealer, will surely go between 3 and a half and €3,750, condition is paramount though...
    So, it's that or the Golf, I'm thinking Toyotasville...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Peugeot 106GTI - incredible fun. Cant wait to get one myself!

go with the Sera, you know it makes sense. They're a head turner. There's a few of them going around Dublin, They'll all have Aircon too, they'd want to given the large glass area!

Jap imports tend to be in good condition, interiors tont tend to be worn as much as Irish cars, that said, a lot of Seras will have been driven in Ireland for a good few years. Sera interiors are generally very hard wearing and shouldn't be looking tired. Look out for ones with the bonkers surround sound system.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,059 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Or alternatively how about a Ford Puma? Heavily based on the Fiesta so parts and servicing are relatively cheap.

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=496923
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=473619

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

What about a good spec mark 2 Golf GTI? You can get a 3 or a 5 door version with powersteering and all the usual extras for very small money these days. There's a very nice 91 on e-bay at the moment. This was when VW made great cars, not the crap they're churning out at the moment. A very cheap and reliable car to keep on the road too, in fact they're so good I have 6 of them.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Punto Sporting? Safe, two doors, cheap to run (1242cc) or a 1.4 Punto GT? These are getting very affordable and they aren't as lardy as the small Alfas on your list (the 147 needs the 2.0 to haul it around smartly). You could always go for a BMWini Cooper - they hold their value like diamonds are good fun to drive and have four seats (so long as you dont put anyone in the back very often)

'cptr

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

colm_mcm wrote:
    Howsa bout a Toyota Sera. Bulletproof reliabiliy, 1.5 Starlet engine, minimal depreciation, weird doors!
    The car's allegedly based on the Starlet, but no Starlet had a 1.5 petrol engine! It's the 5E-HFE, the largest of the E-series engines - usually in 1.0 and 1.3 litre form in the Starlet and Corolla of the time (including the 1.3 in the Starlet GT Turbo/Glanza) - 16 valve DOHC with 110PS (more specs here).

I've seen a few around Limerick too, though some aren't in the best of condition (fading/peeling paintwork et al). There's a chance a lot of them are auto's though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

The car's allegedly based on the Starlet, but no Starlet had a 1.5 petrol engine!

Yup. the Japs drove the 1.5 as, I'll hazard a guess, did most parts of Europe. There's a few Jap imports around with the 1.5

Starlets were available in 1.5 in Japan, as were/are Corollas.

The same engine was used in the Cynos/Paseo which was also based on the Starlet.

• Advertisement

Quite true. A 1.5 would fit the bill nicely, or even a 1.6 if it came to it. At the end of the day, big engine + little car is better, and more enjoyable than big engine and body, unless you jump into the 2 litre plus bracket, which is unnecessary for our situation.

Thanks again to all who contributed. Said Mrs. Roundy is not changing jobs as quickly as I thought initially (she'll lose out on gratuity etc., if she leaves now), but I may well go ahead and buy if the right car catches my eye. Better to be looking at it than for it...

My two options, following consultation with the real boss are:

1. Pug 106 GTi: as late as possible, and with all the toys. UK import if it comes to it.

2. Toyota Sera: She loves this, but the only option may be a direct import through an agent, as they're getting on a bit.

So there you go. :)

Advertisement