Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pharmacist salary?

• 25-08-2008 8:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Notatoxford

Does anyone here know what pharmacists get payed in Ireland?Does it increase much as you go on or does it say pretty static after pre reg.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

I don't know what it is but anecdotally, it is a good deal less than 3 years ago. There are still a lot of pharmacists migrating to Ireland due to the higher wages here than they would get at home, and also pharmacy has been hit by the HSE this year, and inevitably this is going to lead to reductions in the profitability of pharmacies. This will then lead to a cutback in opening hours and places with 2 pharmacists will become less common (despite the shorter hours making things busier), so fewer pharmacists will be needed.

Pharmacy used to be a cash cow, but as Ireland moves towards the UK model of the State paying for more and more of the drugs bill, expect the country to become a replica of over there with Boots and AN Others controlling vast swathes of the pharmacies, and paying as they see fit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Notatoxford

I don't know what it is but anecdotally, it is a good deal less than 3 years ago. There are still a lot of pharmacists migrating to Ireland due to the higher wages here than they would get at home, and also pharmacy has been hit by the HSE this year, and inevitably this is going to lead to reductions in the profitability of pharmacies. This will then lead to a cutback in opening hours and places with 2 pharmacists will become less common (despite the shorter hours making things busier), so fewer pharmacists will be needed.

Pharmacy used to be a cash cow, but as Ireland moves towards the UK model of the State paying for more and more of the drugs bill, expect the country to become a replica of over there with Boots and AN Others controlling vast swathes of the pharmacies, and paying as they see fit.

Thank you for your post.Does anyone here know what pharmacists in Ireland earn at the moment?I find it very hard to believe that all of the 90 odd people who have viewed this thread have no idea how much they earn...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

not too sure, in a hospital you'd be looking at a starting salary from 40-50k i think. in a community pharmacy it's more but i think the days are gone when pharmacists start on at least 70k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Notatoxford

bleg wrote: »
    not too sure, in a hospital you'd be looking at a starting salary from 40-50k i think. in a community pharmacy it's more but i think the days are gone when pharmacists start on at least 70k

Fock,thats not fair and it certainly wasn't part of the deal!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭scanlant

Fock,thats not fair and it certainly wasn't part of the deal!

what's not fair? is it the salary difference between community and hospital?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ZYX

Does anyone here know what pharmacists get payed in Ireland?Does it increase much as you go on or does it say pretty static after pre reg.

http://www.payscale.com/research/IE/Job=Retail_Pharmacist/Salary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭amjon

ZYX wrote: »

Thats pretty solid,thank god the last few years of sh1te in the uk are going to pay off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 headtotoe

amjon wrote: »
    Thats pretty solid,thank god the last few years of sh1te in the uk are going to pay off.

Note of Warning: There are hundreds of Irish UK-trained Pharmacists qualifying now. New Irish schools coming on stream as well. There is a lot of evidence that Pharmacist jobs are getting hard to come by -much depends on the outcome of the Hickey case (judgement due this month).

Bear in mind that many employers in Ireland would prefer someone Irish trained who knows the complicated drug schemes etc.

Many friends of mine (Uk trained) are finding it difficult to get a job in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭amjon

headtotoe wrote: »
    Note of Warning: There are hundreds of Irish UK-trained Pharmacists qualifying now. New Irish schools coming on stream as well. There is a lot of evidence that Pharmacist jobs are getting hard to come by -much depends on the outcome of the Hickey case (judgement due this month).

Bear in mind that many employers in Ireland would prefer someone Irish trained who knows the complicated drug schemes etc.

Many friends of mine (Uk trained) are finding it difficult to get a job in Ireland.

I guess I'll have to burn that bridge when I come to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 headtotoe

amjon wrote: »
    I guess I'll have to burn that bridge when I come to it.

So long as you know It's no longer the land of (Pharmacy)

milk and honey!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭wexhurdler

The survey found that the average full-time salary of €73,000 for a Dublin pharmacist was forecast to fall 27 per cent to €53,000 by 2010

I've just quoted that from the post.ie website.. referring to the HSE cut backs in the news today.. Does this mean that these salaries will stay at 53000 from 2010 and never return to the average 73000 earned at present??:eek::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,400 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Starting salary now 45-50k euro. supervising pharmacist 55-60k (need a few years experience).3 years ago you'd start on 70k. Supervising 80-85k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭segaBOY

gpf101 wrote: »
    Starting salary now 45-50k euro. supervising pharmacist 55-60k (need a few years experience).3 years ago you'd start on 70k. Supervising 80-85k.

It will fall further-a constant stream of Pharmacists will be still coming over from the UK in their vast numbers with the two new schools of pharmacy adding to the employment market where there is reduction in payments (which will probably lead to further pharmacy closures =>less jobs) means wages will fall even further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭liberal

i heard biomeds now out earn pharms, hardly seems fair

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭haemfire

liberal wrote: »
    i heard biomeds now out earn pharms, hardly seems fair
    yeah biomeds in automated labs with on call in busy hospitals can easily add 30 - 35k on to their salaries by doing about 2 sessions a week and a night on-call once a fortnight, €23 for every blood test after mid-night, heard cases of some bio labs getting 90+ samples post- midnight, a bad night in a bio lab would be less than 50 samples, x €23 :eek::eek:

Biomedical science is an extremely intense course, long hours, frequent assessments for 4-5 years, any biomeds that have I heard of who went on to do GEM have flown through, tbh just bcos accredited biomed courses are in IT's does not at all mean they are handy, several uni grads, start back at the beginning of biomed courses in IT's after they realise their uni's lied to them for years about having a job when they graduate, 'so to summarise your four year degree course, btw you might as well having been watching barney and bosco dvd's for the last 4 years of your life if you intention is to gain a job at the end of this!! sorry', but do us a favour don't tell that to the first years'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭wexhurdler

segaBOY wrote: »
    It will fall further-a constant stream of Pharmacists will be still coming over from the UK in their vast numbers with the two new schools of pharmacy adding to the employment market where there is reduction in payments (which will probably lead to further pharmacy closures =>less jobs) means wages will fall even further.

You serious?? wow.... is that the out look for the permanent future then, qualified pharmacists with over 3 years experience struggling to earn 60000??:eek:

could the golden days of 70000 ever return?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭liberal

haemfire wrote: »
    yeah biomeds in automated labs with on call in busy hospitals can easily add 30 - 35k on to their salaries by doing about 2 sessions a week and a night on-call once a fortnight, €23 for every blood test after mid-night, heard cases of some bio labs getting 90+ samples post- midnight, a bad night in a bio lab would be less than 50 samples, x €23 :eek::eek:

Biomedical science is an extremely intense course, long hours, frequent assessments for 4-5 years, any biomeds that have I heard of who went on to do GEM have flown through, tbh just bcos accredited biomed courses are in IT's does not at all mean they are handy, several uni grads, start back at the beginning of biomed courses in IT's after they realise their uni's lied to them for years about having a job when they graduate, 'so to summarise your four year degree course, btw you might as well having been watching barney and bosco dvd's for the last 4 years of your life if you intention is to gain a job at the end of this!! sorry', but do us a favour don't tell that to the first years'

Its not an "extremely intense course" ive been getting through it handy enough, IMO its the hardest bioscience degree by a good bit but then, the competitive process of yearly selection means only the best biomedical salmon make it, also if ur implying that the ITs are superior to the UNIs you can take a walk

liberal wrote: »
    Its not an "extremely intense course" ive been getting through it handy enough, IMO its the hardest bioscience degree by a good bit but then, the competitive process of yearly selection means only the best biomedical salmon make it, also if ur implying that the ITs are superior to the UNIs you can take a walk

I'm not implying it, I know it for a fact. How you may ask? because i was told so by the uni biomedical graduate in my class!!

I take it you are doing a degree in biomed in a uni, well may i take this oppertunity to wish you the best of luck in your career when you qualify, your degree will be 100% relavent to your job when your talkin sh1t to fellow graduates in the dole Q.

Why are you looking at doing gamsat uk then so?

wexhurdler wrote: »
    You serious?? wow.... is that the out look for the permanent future then, qualified pharmacists with over 3 years experience struggling to earn 60000??:eek:

could the golden days of 70000 ever return?

Well that's the way it is, no regulation-plenty of people doing the course and all these pharmacies (Ireland has the highest number per capita in Europe I believe) depending on hefty HSE mark ups (money the HSE no longer has), hey presto when the payments are cut the whole thing falls down.

IMO there probably will be less Irish going to the UK this year or next year to do pharmacy due to falling wages, less other EU pharmacists will probably come here to work, so eventually in about 6-7 years (and hopefully state finances will have improved by then too to increase mark up given by the HSE) there should be an improvement in wages due to a normal number of pharmacists coming out every year looking for jobs not the explosion of numbers we have seen over the last few years.

€70k for someone just out of college and has no practical experience was not sustainable. I certainly wouldn't mind a slice of it but someone trying to run a business with that wage bill will not last when the HSE cuts the payments in the mini budget.

It sucks but at least you'll have a profession that can be used Europe wide, easily work in Oz and NZ with a 6 month internship and exam and still well paid in USA and Canada with relative exams and internship completed.

Keep your chin up and best of luck.

I'm not implying it, I know it for a fact. How you may ask? because i was told so by the uni biomedical graduate in my class!!

I take it you are doing a degree in biomed in a uni, well may i take this oppertunity to wish you the best of luck in your career when you qualify, your degree will be 100% relavent to your job when your talkin sh1t to fellow graduates in the dole Q.

Why are you looking at doing gamsat uk then so?

Get off your bloody high horse, there's 11% unemployment today, show a bit of respect ffs :mad:

• Advertisement

Get off your bloody high horse, there's 11% unemployment today, show a bit of respect ffs :mad:

quite the contary, i am defending myself against a person who told me to take a walk, whilst the irony is that he/she will be the one whos actually taking a walk after they graduate to their social welfare office

quite the contary, i am defending myself against a person who told me to take a walk, whilst the irony is that he/she will be the one whos actually taking a walk after they graduate to their social welfare office

Oh thanks for clearing that one up, not petty in the slightest :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Prime Mover

You can't bank on a rate like that continuing in this climate. Someone is probably cooking up a plan to cut that on-call rate just like doctors on-call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

What's with all the aggro.

The non accredited biomed courses are usually very good. They're not accredited because you don't send enough time on the machines. But that's only really relevant if you wanna work as a lab tech in hospital.

A non accredited biomed degree is like any other biosciences degree. A lot of my biomed degree got bored with the automated analysis side of being a lab tech, and went into careers that would have been open to everyone.

I went to med school after finishing 2nd in my year in biomed, and I still found med school really tough.

But, regardless, there's no need for aggro :D

On topic, I trained with a lot of pharmacists. A mate of mine met a Canadian, and went to live there when he married her. But when he was working in a pharmacy in Dublin only 3 or 4 years after grad, he was pulling in 85k per annum!!!!

tallaght01 wrote: »
    What's with all the aggro.

Chip and shoulder

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

I'm surprised that people havent mentioned locum pharmacists and their wages also (although they are becoming scarce now)

over the next 2-3years there will be loads of changes to the medical/pharma section of society and people who studied for years and have been working for years - will have to suck it up and take a severe cut in pay. (or new blood will take the jobs - experience or not !! )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

PCPhoto wrote: »
    I'm surprised that people havent mentioned locum pharmacists and their wages also (although they are becoming scarce now)

over the next 2-3years there will be loads of changes to the medical/pharma section of society and people who studied for years and have been working for years - will have to suck it up and take a severe cut in pay. (or new blood will take the jobs - experience or not !! )

Exactly right. When I qualified in pharmacy, I went to work in the pharma industry - people couldn't understand why I would want to work in a less well paid job (never mind that I was using a lot more of my degree in my job!). It looks now like those who made the choice to work in this field, and hospital pharmacy, will be the ones to have done well, excepting the pharmacy owners of course who will profit exceptionally from the wage downturn, until the HSE come after them again.

Anyone who thinks it's 'not fair' that other graduates are making more than them should be welcomed to the game of life. And I suspect that a lot of younger graduates will decide to retrain now that their cash rich profession is no more. And pharmacist from my era that retrained as a doctor had no problems with the course.

I'm starting pharmacy next year.****.

Off topic question: Whne I qualify, will I be able to locum in the staes and Austalia or will I need further training?

I'm starting pharmacy next year.****.

Off topic question: Whne I qualify, will I be able to locum in the staes and Austalia or will I need further training?

You need to do a 6 month pre reg and exam to work in Australia (the exam isn't as hard as what other non Australian or UK graduates would have to do to work there).

To work in the States you'll need to sit the FPGEE, do a year internship and do the NAPLEX. Also depends on what state you want to work it.

Do go down any of these routes you will have to have your MPSI first, best of luck it's not the worst course in the world.

• Advertisement

You need to do a 6 month pre reg and exam to work in Australia (the exam isn't as hard as what other non Australian or UK graduates would have to do to work there).

To work in the States you'll need to sit the FPGEE, do a year internship and do the NAPLEX. Also depends on what state you want to work it.

Do go down any of these routes you will have to have your MPSI first, best of luck it's not the worst course in the world.

I'll more than likely be studying in Aberdeen. Hmmm. Thats interesting. Just, I remember when I was on the J1. I got talking to an irish phramacist who waaabsolutely minted after only working in NYC for 4 years.

Advertisement