Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

South East Employment Action Plan

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Well thank goodness Galway got its weekly job allocation!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭Bards

hardybuck wrote: »
    Well not me anyway - breakingnews.ie made no reference to Waterford at all!

I remember breakingnews.ie getting another story about Waterford completely messed up.

Anyone remember when U-Decor went up in smoke - well Breakingnews.ie had it in Kilkenny - Doh

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

A lot of these jobs announcements are expansions. Aviva has a facility in Galway its expanding. We had a similar announcement a while back.

I'm not sure how many new businesses are setting up new and announcing big jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

AE Games to announce Galway jobsfest any moment now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭thomasm

mike65 wrote: »
    AE Games to announce Galway jobsfest any moment now.

300 more jobs for Galway, is it just me or does feckin Galway get every bloody job going

This is the results of a google search of job announcments in Galway for this year

115 in Cisco
    220 in Mylan
    200 in Merit Medical
    37 in Copperfasten
    150 in HP
    220 in Aviva
    15 in Grant Thornton
    300 in EA Games

1257 so far with a quick search and throw in the knock on employment that will create also. Great there are jobs being created but it seems loaded in one counties favour

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Mini

thomasm wrote: »
    This is the results of a google search of job announcments in Galway for this year

115 in Cisco
    220 in Mylan
    200 in Merit Medical
    37 in Copperfasten
    150 in HP
    220 in Aviva
    15 in Grant Thornton
    300 in EA Games

1257 so far with a quick search and throw in the knock on employment that will create also. Great there are jobs being created but it seems loaded in one counties favour

A comparison search for job announcements in Waterford is alot more depressing.
    :mad:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

IIRC, EA Games are already operating in Galway and are just expanding their operations. Bit different to simply deciding to locate to Galway and snubbing Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Sully wrote: »
    IIRC, EA Games are already operating in Galway and are just expanding their operations. Bit different to simply deciding to locate to Galway and snubbing Waterford.
    That's right. Bioware, which is an EA studio already employ a couple of hundred people there. It's worth pointing out too that a large percentage of these jobs will require at least one other European language. b

But of course there is also the knock-on effect those jobs could have on local businesses.

• Advertisement

300 jobs to be announced on Limerick at 11am in a company that already employs 300. Pity we have no locally based companies with those prospects

Yeah, because that's only what happened last year, so it doesn't matter any more... :confused:

Sorry for the sarcasm Sully, but 1,300 jobs for Galway in the past year and an "action plan" for Waterford? This is shameful. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭BBM77

No worries, Waterford will show them big time in the next general election and elect 2 or 3 government party TD’s.:confused::mad:

thomasm wrote: »
    300 jobs to be announced on Limerick at 11am in a company that already employs 300. Pity we have no locally based companies with those prospects

Pity indeed... but at least it's in Limerick, the only city in Ireland doing worse than Waterford on the unemployment front. Well done to them! - hopefully our turn comes soon...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭hardybuck

People must also take into account that an announcement for 300 jobs does not mean the arrival of 300 jobs.

What the above would typically mean is potentially up to 300 jobs in four or five years time if the investment works out. When applying for grant aid from the IDA they will pitch the business proposal in this way, but often this figure never fully materialises.

Secondly, as mentioned here already, it is far more likely to gain extra jobs announcements via expansions of existing companies than the arrival of new ones. New companies have tended to be in the area of IT in particular, an area where Dublin is fast becoming an excellence centre.

Unless the likes of Bausch & Lomb, Honeywell or Genzyme make announcements on expansion, Waterford won't be seeing too much activity. You might see something from Glanbia, we might be better off trying to attract more investment in food and agriculture in the future.

Speaking of Glanbia

http://www.munster-express.ie/front-page-news/general-stories/100-glanbia-jobs-for-ferrybank/

http://planning.kilkennycoco.ie/FileRefDetails.aspx?file_number=12324&LASiteID=0

http://www.irishexaminer.com/business/glanbia-targets-milk-expansion-198823.html

Looks like it will be a massive facility and provide 100 jobs on completion plus 400 during construction, in south Kilkenny but will be jobs for Waterford people

Very topical piece of satire... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

900 jobs announced for Naas today for a new Kerry Group food research centre:
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/1009/kerry-group-kildare.html
    He (Kerry Group Chief Executive Stan McCarthy) also said that the Kerry Group looked at others locations for the business including the UK and Europe, however he said once all the business considerations were made, it was clear that Naas was the best option.

The excuse of "we can't force foreign companies to locate in Waterford or the South East" might pass for the IDA, but it's hard to accept that the Government cannot influence an indigenous company to locate in the South East, especially when they have claimed to prioritise the South East.

There could be very valid reasons why the Naas site was chosen, but from what I can tell from the press release is that they are just building from scratch on a greenfield site. There is a 64 acre site at Kilmeaden Fields (www.kilmeadenfields.com) that could have been suitable.

Once of the points of this SE Employment Action Plan was to ensure government agencies like Enterprise Ireland and the IDA work together to try get jobs into the region. Only Eishtec have announced jobs, and they were already located here and were already planning to increase their workforce so the government can't take any credit for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭road_high

900 jobs announced for Naas today for a new Kerry Group food research centre:
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/1009/kerry-group-kildare.html

The excuse of "we can't force foreign companies to locate in Waterford or the South East" might pass for the IDA, but it's hard to accept that the Government cannot influence an indigenous company to locate in the South East, especially when they have claimed to prioritise the South East.
    There could be very valid reasons why the Naas site was chosen, but from what I can tell from the press release is that they are just building from scratch on a greenfield site. There is a 64 acre site at Kilmeaden Fields (www.kilmeadenfields.com) that could have been suitable.

Once of the points of this SE Employment Action Plan was to ensure government agencies like Enterprise Ireland and the IDA work together to try get jobs into the region. Only Eishtec have announced jobs, and they were already located here and were already planning to increase their workforce so the government can't take any credit for that.

Kerry Group I think wouldn't consider Waterford for this over and above where they have choosen...Why would they? They want/need to be near a major airport and close to the capital city. At least Naas is within commuting distance for part of this region. Which is fantastic.
    Naas is a great location and very central to everywhere. In fact, company I work with were going to put their office there so I can see why Kerry choose it. Access and airports are really big factors and cannot be underestimated. It's a huge Achilles heal for the South East and Waterford specifically. Especially if you comapre with say Cork city.

If anything, I think the people of Co. Kerry where the co HQ is based would feel a little hard done by their county wasn't chosen.
    Kerry Foods have no real presence in the south east (apart from their meat plant). It wouldn't make sense with Glanbia on their doorstep.

People can't constantly say the govt should do this/that/the other. Kerry Foods are a private company and entiltled to choose wherever they see fit and best matches their business and work for them.
    It's up to respective counties/regions to promote what they have to offer business.
    I'm sure there are lots of good reasons to locate in Waterford and these need to be pushed more rather than lamenting about other areas getting investments.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

I would agree with some of what you say, and like you said there's probably very good reasons why Naas was chosen.

But what's so important about the proximity of a major airport? The distance from Nass-Dublin and Waterford-Cork is not that much different. And they are an Irish company after all, so it's not like they'll have loads of US executives travelling here who demand a short travel time from the airport to the business premises.

Why is proximity to Dublin City so important, will the employees need to be travelling there on a regular basis, or is the other way around, that the employees they hope to hire will be commuting from Dublin?

I know they are a private company and it's up to Waterford to promote better what it can offer, but the Government and its departments are supposed to be helping us in direct response to the closure of Talk Talk and us having the highest unemployment rate in the country.

• Advertisement

But what's so important about the proximity of a major airport? The distance from Nass-Dublin and Waterford-Cork is not that much different. And they are an Irish company after all, so it's not like they'll have loads of US executives travelling here who demand a short travel time from the airport to the business premises.

In this instance I understand it's a major factor (one of the Kerry Group execs was on the radio yesterday - Matt Cooper's show I think).

This centre will be doing a lot of work with customers and suppliers from all over the world, and somewhere near Dublin was the only option in this country - otherwise it would have been somewhere in England.

Indeed at one point the presenter asked whether somewhere near Shannon would have made sense, and the exec said that Shannon doesn't have the range of destinations that would be needed to swing their decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Yes, bringing in clients form abroad, it's important to be fairly near an airport, an hour or so is what we would have. It is a big deal to be considered. After that it becomes a hard sell

Big big difference betweeen Naas and Dublin and Cork Waterford in terms of distance and even road quality.

it does help to be nearer Dublin. In terms of access as we discuused and access to a huge pool of labour and services/suppliers. Critical mass I think is what they call it.
    But there's pluses and minuses to every location. Waterford has improved immensely in terms of road access. I dunno, but I'm not sure if that one is being pushed enough down there??
    When I'm talking to Dubs I've often heard them mention "how great the road to Galway is now and how great it is...". Waterford is a nice bit nearer and TOLL FREE. Not sure how aware people "up the country" are of this fact. have read it a few times in media as well.

I would assume the quality of the Airport also. Just because Cork has an Airport doesn't mean its the answer. Maybe Cork doesn't offer flights to the destinations required? Please, don't suggest they should fly Cork - Dublin and then onto their chosen destination just so they can setup in Waterford.

I would assume the quality of the Airport also. Just because Cork has an Airport doesn't mean its the answer. Maybe Cork doesn't offer flights to the destinations required? Please, don't suggest they should fly Cork - Dublin and then onto their chosen destination just so they can setup in Waterford.

Certainly an airport with the sort of destinations that Cork has is better than what we have in Waterford or no airport at all, but I've often heard them complain in Cork that they're missing out on this investment or that investment because they didn't have transatlantic access.

TBH though, Cork and its region (half a million people) is not really big enough to justify much in the way of transatlantic access. Even in the much bigger UK, there is very little in the way of transatlantic flights from Glasgow, Manchester and Birmingham, despite each of those cities having the same population catchment as all of Ireland! Most transatlantic flights to and from the UK go via Heathrow.

• Site Banned Posts: 224 ✭✭SubBusted

Is there black gold offshore?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

800 jobs to be announced in my office today. Government will try and claim the credit for it but our PR explicitly states that no government support or investment was needed :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

AdMMM wrote: »
    800 jobs to be announced in my office today. Government will try and claim the credit for it but our PR explicitly states that no government support or investment was needed :)

What for Waterford???

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

My apologies, Dublin. Must get around to changing my Location but it'll be a sad day when I do :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭south

Paddy power?

• Advertisement

Spotted this on Facebook re: IDA. Don't know the details but it was part of a response given by Paudie Coffey TD to what the government (this government that is) have invested in for Waterford and he said in relation to the IDA/Jobs;
    increased visits of IDA in 9 months by 100% compared to previous year - this will result in jobs and I agree can't come soon enough - city was v dependent on manufacturing and construction & with both gone is really struggling so we need to rebuild and attract new industries

Advertisement