Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tefl in South Korea

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

My god can this sniping between Cloneslad and Andy!! please stop?! :mad::mad::mad:

This is a thread for teaching English in South Korea. Take your argument to PM.

Finally moved to Daejeon. My old school Osan GLC has closed down due to the city hall being dicks and not resigning the lease for another 3 years. My school found me a new job within the same company (woongjin) and I've been transferred to ICC Daejeon. Living in a fantastic dorm and the facilities are amazing within the school. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

Andy!! wrote: »
    Nasty piece of work aren't you. As stated, a few people have had issues with the explanations given in this thread. Not one person. I really hope there aren't any waygookin like you in my area. People need support from people that have been through the process before, not some huffy smart-arse rolling his eyes because someone off the plane five minutes doesn't understand the complexities of Korean mobile phone contracts. Everyone else has been very helpful, I should add. Would be lost otherwise. :)

Have a look back, I helped you, I helped you again, I then provided you with a link to help you when you messed up. I then gave up while Cassi helped you, she then gave up.

I do help people on this thread, I help people through private messages, but I won't keep answering the same question over and over again, and it annoys me to keep seeing them over and over again.

An original is technically 'A copy'. This is where mix-ups with some people are occuring. Saying 'A photocopy' leaves no room for error.

Ironic. So...you're part of this fb group?

One of the founding members, actually!

Guys I have a question regarding voltages etc. On modern laptops, chargers seem to be in two disconnecting parts. From laptop to powerblock, then from powerblock to plug. Can this second part be swapped out for a korean version? Basically what I'm asking is, is there any voltage conversion happening in that power block? Or will I be better off going with the old school converter methods. Any advice on this or if you guys use any particular gizmos for this, link 'em here! :) I would really love to not blow up my Mac Air :pac:

The brick in the middle of it is a converter, providing the plug extension is on the far end of the brick (leaving it still attached to the bit going into the laptop, then it should work fine.

You can get those cables very easily in most of those little stationary / electrical / sell everything type stores that you'll see in Korea.
    My god can this sniping between Cloneslad and Andy!! please stop?!

This is a thread for teaching English in South Korea. Take your argument to PM.

I've no problem with Andy. I just want him to stop making mistakes, after being given answers. and then telling us that he's going to try it anyway, then fail and ask what he should do, after we've already told him.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

cloneslad wrote: »
    Have a look back, I helped you, I helped you again, I then provided you with a link to help you when you messed up. I then gave up while Cassi helped you, she then gave up.

I've no problem with Andy. I just want him to stop making mistakes, after being given answers. and then telling us that he's going to try it anyway, then fail and ask what he should do, after we've already told him.

I had a look back to, to find airlines that people recommended. I saw seamie, and inverted_world helping me a lot. Only thing I found from you was this gem:
    The copy of your degree needs to be apostilled, then notarised.

Notice anything? Specifically about the order? No wonder I made errors. The only error I made, actually, come to think of it... strange. Take your 'I'm the bigger man but I'm going to get an untrue snide remark in anyways' BS elsewhere. I've put you on ignore
    ; squeaky is right. Sorry squeaky and the rest. Back to business.

Documents arrived in Korea after two days, safe and sound, so I would recommend DHL to anyone in future. It is only 26 quid if you do it from the GPO! A 1/3 or maybe even a 1/4 of what FedEx will charge you. So all is good in the hood over there, immigration are deciding my fate. Currently spending this evening looking up flights to help my new employer along. It's currently looking like Emirates, Etihad is twice as expensive! Aer Lingus isn't actually too bad either. It looks like it's going to cost around 650 euro. I've been checking out http://www.lastminute.ie , http://www.etihadairways.com and http://www.emirates.com/english/ for anyone who is also currently looking. :)

Get it notarised by a commissioner of oaths and get it apostilled by the department of foreign affairs.

The background check is notarised by the superintendent of the Garda station you get it from, so this only needs to be apostilled.

Your birth cert??? Does that need to be done now??

Notice anything? Specifically about the order? No wonder I made errors. The only error I made, actually, come to think of it... strange. Take your 'I'm the bigger man but I'm going to get an untrue snide remark in anyways' BS elsewhere. I've put you on ignore[/spoiler]; squeaky is right. Sorry squeaky and the rest. Back to business.

I don't like when quotes are taken out of context, it's not appreciated. If I wanted to read misquotes, I'd read a red label tabloid.

Quite obviously, I was correct in my initial sentence, and when reiterating, I put them in the wrong way around, my bad for trying to be over helpful.

Anyway, if anyone needs any help with getting to Korea, please don't be put off by the spat here, which has now finished, as Andy has me on ignore, and I don't care enough, providing I'm not being lied about

There are lots of other people on this forum with a lot of great advice, who have been in Korea for a long time, I got my first job in Korea in 2006 and 'livinginkorea' was before that, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Galwayj

Been offered a job and sent the contract for the ELI academey . Here is the contract as id like to get an opinion . Ive taken out my personal details . Thanks

EMPLOYMENT CONTRACT

This contract is made between
    ELI Academy,
    2794-1, 4F(406,407,408,409),
    YeongjongAirport 1,
    Unsuh-Dong, Chung-Gu,
    Incheon City, South Korea.

Hereafter referred to as the "employee" as an English instructor.
    The duties of the "employee" will be as follows;

1. The Employee’s Responsibilities & Duties
    a. This "employee" will work for the "employer" as an English Instructor. During the term of this agreement, the instructor will accept, obey, and comply with the instructions, supervision, training, and discipline of the employer and will carry out such assignments as the employer directs.
    b. The duties of the "employee" will be follows:
    1) Curriculum design and implementation
    2) Development of educational programs and materials
    3) Grading and evaluation of students
    4) Attendance at teacher's meetings and workshops
    5) Providing students with individualized care
    6) Other activities related to teaching
    7) All kinds of class activities (indoor and outdoor)
    8) Arrival at school at least one hour before the beginning of class (in case of afternoon class)
    c. If the employee leaves the school during the scheduled school session without a written approval by school, the employee will not receive any balance due including a his/her last salary.
    d. The employee cannot make employment contract with any other school or institute in this town square (Yeongjong-Do) after termination or cancellation of this contract period.

2. Place of Employment
    The "employee" will work for the "employer" at the following address:
    ELI, 2794-1, 4F, YeongjongAirport 1, Unsuh-dong, Chung-Gu, Incheon City, South Korea.
    The "employee" will not be expected to work outside the place of employment except with a) written approval from the Korean Immigration Office and b) work outside the place of employment meets with the approval of the "employer".

3. Period of Employment
    Pending the issuance of an E2 visa from the Korean Immigration Office, the "employee" will work for the "employer" for a period not exceeding one year in accordance with the E2 visa.
    The period of employment will begin on 2nd /July/ 2012 and end on 1st / July/ 2013.

4. Regular Hours of Employment
    Each class will consist of 50 minutes in length. The "employee" will teach from Monday to Friday (excluding Saturdays and Sundays) for 33 hours (1,980minutes) per week . One hour will be calculated 60 minutes’ class. All classes exceeding hours per week will be considered as overtime classes. The hours the employee is required to work will be spread from 1:00(p.m.) to 8:30(p.m.) subsequent to the needs of the school as designated by the director.

5. Overtime hours of Employment
    The "employee" may choose to work overtime hours. Overtime classes will be calculated and paid per month at a rate of 15,000 won per hour at the end of the month.
    Said teaching hours do not include classroom preparation, lesson plan preparation, assignment/homework/test creation or grading or any other duty deemed necessary by the faculty or director. Time spent on these endeavors will not be compensated monetarily.

6. Salary
    The basic salary paid for regular hours of employment will be 2.1 million won per month, payable on the 10th of each month worked by the "employee". The salary will be paid to the "employee" once per month without delay for a period of contract. Computation of the initial pay period will commence from the first teaching day. Payment for part of a month of employment will be calculated on the number of days employed. Payment of the aforesaid salaries will be made in Korea won.
    In the event that the "employer" is unable to provide the "employee" with the regular hours per week, the "employee" will still be paid a basic salary of 2.1 million won per month.

7. Income Tax
    Income tax will be deducted from the basic salary in accordance with the Korean Tax Laws.

8. Medical Insurance
    Employee will be covered by medical benefits under the Korean Medical Insurance Union, a government health organization. The "employer and "employee" will each share 50% of the total cost of health insurance. Coverage commences from the date of joining the KMIU.

9. Housing & Accommodations
    a. The "employer" will furnish the "employee" with a furnished single room consisting of basic appliances: TV, refrigerator, gas stove, kitchen table, chairs, laundry machine and kitchenware. The room will be provided at no cost to the "employee" with the exception of gas, utilities, monthly maintenance fee and telephone. The "employer" will also ensure that the room is quiet and safe so that the "employee" can live comfortably while in Korea. In return for a furnished room, the "employee" agrees to respect and care for the room in a respectful manner, with the exception of normal repairs. Any outstanding bills belonging to the "employee" will be the sole responsibility of the employee. In the event that the room is shared, the outstanding bills will be split evenly between all residents of the room.
    b. For the first three months, the Employer will withhold a deposit of 200,000 won each month, in order for the employer to pay off utility and telephone charges, and others, received by the employer during the two months after the termination of the contract. In any case, if this agreement can’t be finished, the deposit will not be returned to the teacher.
    c. Any balance due the employee after all bills have peen paid will be transferred to the employee’s account back home two months after termination of the contract.

10. Airfare
    The cost of the flight will be reimbursed in Korean Won according to a F/X rate.
    a. Upon completion of this one-year contract, the employee will be provided with a return ticket. Should the employee purchase a one-way ticket.
    b. If the employee leaves the school prior to completing six (6) months of this contract for any reason, the employee must reimburse the school the cost of the ticket in full paid by the school or the school will deduct the full value from the employee’s pay.
    c. Should mitigating circumstances arise, it is possible to negotiate an alternate arrangement for an early departure. The employer has the right to request reasonable proof for having granted mitigating circumstances.

11. Holidays
    The "employee" will be paid for all national holidays and not be expected to work during these days.

12. Vacation Pay
    The "employee" will receive 10 paid vacation days for a period of contract. Vacations are taken according to a schedule provided by employer before the commencement of the month to which the schedule refers. Vacations can only be taken as scheduled by the employer as per the requirement of the school.

13. Severance Pay
    Upon completion of this contract, the "employee" will receive 2.1 million-won salary as severance pay. Under no circumstance will this severance pay be withheld from the "employee". Provided there are outstanding debts (damage to residence or school loans, bills, etc.)

14. Rights and responsibilities
    Both the "employer" and the "employee" are to be considered professionals and as such will treat each other with mutual respect and dignity. However, since the "employee" is working under contract for the "employer", the "employee" will make every reasonable effort to follow the directions as training and supervision of the "employer". The "employee" will also carry out the teaching assignments given by the "employer" in a professional manner.

15. Dismissal
    The "employer" may dismiss the "employee" from employment under the following conditions without written and prior notice.
    a. Violation of the laws of the Republic of South Korea.
    b. Teaching classes while under the influence of drugs, smoking or alcohol.
    c. Private teaching outside the place of employment or accepting funds without the written approval of the employer.
    d. Receiving two warning letters
    e. Constantly late for work.
    f. Inability or unwillingness to teach, including neglect of duties to attend to classes.
    g. Conduct or criminal activity seriously jeopardizing any student or staff person.
    h. Disobedience to the school class schedule.
    i. The teacher has caused irreparable damage to the reputation of the school or themselves.

With the exception of Section 15a, 15b, 15c, 15d and 15g above, the "employer" must first bring the problem to the attention of the "employee" in writing and make every attempt to resolve the situation. The "employee" will then follow the directions of the "employer" also and make every attempt to correct the problems. However, circumstances beyond the control of the "employee" are exempt from Section 15. Circumstances may include, but not limited to accident, death and illness or unpredicted events.

16. Termination of Contract
    a. With the exception of Section 15 of this contract, the "employer" may cancel this contract with 30 days notice. However, in the case of the employee’s criminal behavior or misconduct, he/she will be dismissed from employment immediately with no warning or notice.
    b. In the event the “employee” resigns from employment, he/she can do so giving minimum 60 days notice to the employer.
    c. In either case of dismissal or resignation before completing six (6) months period of the contract term, the “employee” must reimburse the employer the cost of the ticket to Korea in full.
    d. In the event that the “employee” seeks release from this contract, the employer may issue a letter of release to the “employee” upon request without delay or fee being charged to the employee or potential employers.

17. Resolving Disputes
    While both parties enter into this agreement with total honesty and integrity, disputes may sometimes occur, both parties will be bound by all terms and conditions of this contract and will try to resolve the difference in a civil manner that is fair to both parties. In the event that no solution can be found for a problem and either party decides to terminate this contract, both parties will agree to remain civil and to speak honestly and fairly about their experiences and not in a disrespectful manner.

18. Transfer of Contract
    Under no circumstances can the "employer" exchange, give, sell, or transfer this contract of the services of the "employee" to another part or institute without the written consent of the "employee".

19. Changes to Contract
    There will be no changes or additions to the contract without the written consent and approval of both parties. Any changes made must be written and signed by both parties to be included in this contract. Any changes made to this contract, whether verbal or other, without the knowledge and written consent of both parties are to be considered invalid, and as such are not part of this contract.

20. Release from Contract
    With the exception of Section 16, both the "employer" and the "employee" are released from the contract in the case of :
    a) Death, war, accident, or unforseen events.
    b) Failure to obtain an E2 visa from the Korean Immigration Office.
    c) Failure to meet any or all of the terms and conditions of this contract

21. Language of Contract
    The language of this contract is written in English. For convenience of the employer this contract may be translated into Korean upon request and prior to the signing of this document. In the event of a dispute, the English version of this contract will prevail. Both the employer and the employee have read and understood all the terms and conditions of this contract and do hereby enter into contract which will be binding upon all parties, their successors.

Employer Lee Geunsun Employee
    Employer's Full Name Employee's Full Name

Dated this 1st of June. 2012 .

ELI-Policy Agreement

1. During classroom hours
    The instructor must remain patient and show affection toward the students.
    Do not just watch the children. Interact and speak with them as a teacher.
    The instructor will refrain from yelling and try to handle all situations calmly. If a student is out of hand, send someone to get the director.

2. While at school
    The computer at the school should only be used for class preparation and research. The computer may be used for personal reasons such as checking e-mail, but it should be done sparingly and at the appropriate time. Playing computer games is not be acceptable unless authorized beforehand by the director.
    The telephone in the school is not a personal phone and should not be used to place long distance calls. Personal local calls should be limited.
    The instructor must be punctual.
    The instructor will refrain from using profanity or offensive language that may make others feel uncomfortable.
    The instructor will attend the instructor's meeting/functions unless excused by the director.
    The instructor should always behave in a respectable manner and remember he/she is the example for the children.

3. ELI will:
    Respect the rights and culture of the instructor.
    Respond promptly to issue concerning the instructors living conditions.
    Pay on time.
    Any and all problems will be dealt with at the onset.

Dated this day of . 2012.
    Instructor's Full Name
    Signature
    ELI Director:
    Signature

• Advertisement

Galwayj wrote: »
    Been offered a job and sent the contract for the ELI academey . Here is the contract as id like to get an opinion . Ive taken out my personal details . Thanks

EMPLOYMENT CONTRACT

The money is okay for a first timer, not great, but okay.

Incheon is a decent place, close to seoul too.

Reimbursed airfare - some would prefer to have their airfare paid in advance by the school. You may wish to negotiate this with the school or the recruiter.

holidays and insurance are pretty standard for a hagwon. 10 days on top of the national holidays is pretty usual, unfortunately, as it's not a lot.

Pension - you are required to pay 4.5% of your salary towards pension contributions. Your employer is required to match this. As you are Irish, you do not receive this money back, however, you are still legally required to pay for it.

Overtime - 15,000won per hour is very low, but you are signing up to work 33 hours as part of your standard contract, so the chances of you working more than that are pretty slim anyway, so you'll probably not be required to work overtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭coxy14

Documents arrived in Korea after two days, safe and sound, so I would recommend DHL to anyone in future. It is only 26 quid if you do it from the GPO! A 1/3 or maybe even a 1/4 of what FedEx will charge you. So all is good in the hood over there, immigration are deciding my fate. Currently spending this evening looking up flights to help my new employer along. It's currently looking like Emirates, Etihad is twice as expensive! Aer Lingus isn't actually too bad either. It looks like it's going to cost around 650 euro. I've been checking out http://www.lastminute.ie , http://www.etihadairways.com and http://www.emirates.com/english/ for anyone who is also currently looking. :)

Yep DHL definately the ones to go with. In fact you can send them with DHL via an post all over the country...go to an post website, click to find nearest location and there should pop up a list of the services provided by the P.O...just look for international courier.

As for flights i'd recommend skyscanner.ie....they'll compare them all for you. I got a cheap(ish) flight with etihad but they were having a sale and the dates just happened to suit me.

One more thing to note about Etihad...it's says on the website that if you sign up to their frequent flyer programme (etihad guest) they you get 5kg extra baggage allowance....well i found out the hard way that that's not strictly true. This is what they say on the website:

*Terms and Conditions:
    • The 5kgs excess baggage allowance for Etihad Guest members will be effective 09 October 2011.
    • Etihad Guest (base) members are required to present their permanent Etihad Guest card at check in to avail this benefit.

What they don't tell you is that you only get your permanent card AFTER your first flight with them. Luckily I was able to repack my luggage quickly at the airport but they were about to charge me 100e for the excess.

Just thought i'd mention it as it's really easy to get caught out and I wasn't the only one in the Q that morning who was!!

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭inverted_world

One hour will be calculated 60 minutes’ class.

Does this mean you will be teaching more than 33 classes per week? Because it sounds to me that they could have you teach 38/39 since they specify a teaching hour as 60 minutes, whereas a single class is only 50 minutes. If they say you will teach 33 classes, then they should clarify that one teaching hour is 50 minutes.

DHL offered me a student discount when I showed him my old student card. Handy out! :)

What is everyone doing with their Wednesday off school?

Now that I'm in the middle of the country I was toying with the idea of going to Busan for the day and checking it out of maybe Gwangju.

DHL offered me a student discount when I showed him my old student card. Handy out! :)

What is everyone doing with their Wednesday off school?

Now that I'm in the middle of the country I was toying with the idea of going to Busan for the day and checking it out of maybe Gwangju.

Hey squeekyduck, I was thinking about heading into Busan as well...i'm in Masan and have only been here since Thursday so I figure even trying to get there will be a bit of an adventure. Where are you living??

• Advertisement

coxy14 wrote: »
    Yep DHL definately the ones to go with. In fact you can send them with DHL via an post all over the country...go to an post website, click to find nearest location and there should pop up a list of the services provided by the P.O...just look for international courier.

As for flights i'd recommend skyscanner.ie....they'll compare them all for you. I got a cheap(ish) flight with etihad but they were having a sale and the dates just happened to suit me.

One more thing to note about Etihad...it's says on the website that if you sign up to their frequent flyer programme (etihad guest) they you get 5kg extra baggage allowance....well i found out the hard way that that's not strictly true. This is what they say on the website:

*Terms and Conditions:
    • The 5kgs excess baggage allowance for Etihad Guest members will be effective 09 October 2011.
    • Etihad Guest (base) members are required to present their permanent Etihad Guest card at check in to avail this benefit.

What they don't tell you is that you only get your permanent card AFTER your first flight with them. Luckily I was able to repack my luggage quickly at the airport but they were about to charge me 100e for the excess.

Just thought i'd mention it as it's really easy to get caught out and I wasn't the only one in the Q that morning who was!!

Oh, so you have to fly with them at least once before? Jeez thanks for telling me that! I would have been in the same situation as you. Thanks for the skyscanner link. I'll have a look, nearly sure the recruiter has gone and booked the flight already though.

And yeah, to anyone wanting to use DHL, make sure you physically go into a post office. They have some kind of deal with an post then. At least that's what the postie in the GPO told me, and it seems to have been confirmed in this thread too. AVOID FedEX!!

Oh, so you have to fly with them at least once before? Jeez thanks for telling me that! I would have been in the same situation as you. Thanks for the skyscanner link. I'll have a look, nearly sure the recruiter has gone and booked the flight already though.

And yeah, to anyone wanting to use DHL, make sure you physically go into a post office. They have some kind of deal with an post then. At least that's what the postie in the GPO told me, and it seems to have been confirmed in this thread too. AVOID FedEX!!

No problem...it's definitely not the kind of hassle you want before a 16 hour flight, believe me:D

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Galwayj

Wow, just had a call with one of the recruiters from the handkorea about the contract but I barely could understand them. Altogether he said I will be working 40 hours when you take everything into account hmmmmm.....

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭conorcan2

Wow, just had a call with one of the recruiters from the handkorea about the contract but I barely could understand them. Altogether he said I will be working 40 hours when you take everything into account hmmmmm.....

40 hours is a very long time to be in the school, unless you really like the job . In my last job I was working from 2 - 8 and that seemed long (mind you, there was no teachers room and the lessons were 50 minutes with 5 minute breaks between classes).

Doesn't your contract explicitly state 33? Mine does too. I probably won't hear about any extra hours till I am over there.

To be honest, from what I read online, sometimes, some Hagwons can take the mick a little. There's not a lot you can do to prevent that sometimes, too many hagwons for waygookin to have heard of. Luck of the draw I guess. I say go for it anyway. If it doesn't live up to your expectations, do it for the year and use that experience to land yourself a nice public school gig.

Got my Visa number WOOHOOOOOO. Heading to the Korean Embassy now, I read on the first page they see people between 2-4 on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Doesn't your contract explicitly state 33?

Some of them also mention student evaluations, prep for class, phone teaching, field trips etc. that are not included as part of that figure.

They kinda should though shouldn't they :D Perhaps that's just the nature of teaching I guess, probably happens to teachers in this country too! I say it's probably not a huge deal Galway.

They kinda should though shouldn't they :D Perhaps that's just the nature of teaching I guess, probably happens to teachers in this country too! I say it's probably not a huge deal Galway.

Talk to a teacher who is already at the school, if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭cassi

Galway, you may be better off contacting someone in the school or the school itself to clarify this! 40 hours would burn you out very quickly esp in the summer heat. Also remember on top of teaching hours you'll be expected to be there for prep, test making, Evals etc so all the hours could quickly build up.

See do incheon teachers have a Facebook group or something similar and ask around there for info. Not all hagwons have bad reps but do a lot of research before committing. Dont leave anything to chance.

I would definitely research as much as possible. 40 hours might not seem that long, but if that's actual teaching time, you will find it quite draining. As said before, you'll have evals/tests/ prep etc to do as well, plus you may get landed with summer and winter camps at your school too.

I workd 3:45 - 9:00 m/w/f and 3:30-7:10 tue/thurs. We had minimal prep time, especially as I knew the books inside out, but when montlhy evaluations and tests had to be carried out, it could get quite busy.....especially for the guys who were new to the job, me included, when I started.

As said by other people, try talking to current teachers, there are enough jobs out there that you don;t have to take one you aren't 100% sure about. 1 year in a crap job can be very very long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 reddan

Hey guys just a quick question that'd I'd be very grateful if anybody could help me out with.

On the EPIK application form, towards the end, if you don't have any prior teaching experience do you still have to try and complete the Lesson plan page, or is that just for those have teaching experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 chris6

So, just finishing my third week in Seoul and second week teaching. Love Seoul so far and I love Korean BBQ!!! Working for Chungdahm Learning in Songpa across from Olympic Park. Middle school kids can be a tough audience especially when you have to cover topics like hyperinflation. Overall it's great so far!

On another subject, where are people going to watch the Irish Euro games?

chris6 wrote: »
    On another subject, where are people going to watch the Irish Euro games?

For Seoul I'd say the Wolfhound and maybe Scrooges would show the matches in Seoul. They are in Itaewon! :) You'll want to stay up pretty late for a lot of those games! :D

What did you guys do money wise when you first went over? I've left it kinda late to order won I think (leaving next Wednesday). I have a Laser which uses Maestro, and a mastercard with a small enough limit. I assume I'll be able to use the mastercard in stores, if not the Maestro? I plan to use KEB when I'm over there, as they seem to be quite waygookin friendly. Will I be able to transfer funds from my current account here straight into my KEB account? Would be very hesitant to carry thousands of euro around :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14 chris6

I got some money changed in the airport Andy. You'll find some ATMs that will take maestro too. I have no problems so far. Can't tel you about banks yet as I. Still waiting on arc so I've no bank, no phone, no Internet!

What did you guys do money wise when you first went over? /QUOTE]

I took over about 200e with me that I changed in the airport. My family gave me dollars which I changed too.

Citybank ATMs took my AIB laser/maestro card and gave me money. All the other ATMs wouldn't give me money at all.

I got myself one of those O2 money cards and topped it up with 300e. Very handy for buying rail tickets etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,173 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I'd be tempted to do this, though I don't have any teaching qualifications. Wouldn't have a clue where to start. Must pore over this thread in more detail.

Thanks guys, you put my mind at ease! :P I'll see if they have any won at the airport when I get there. If not I'll stick to my Lazer and credit card. How long you been waiting on your ARC now Chris?

Who should I bring gifts over for? I'm gonna be in a hagwon. My director is female, late twenties.

Should I bring over any utensils or other things I would never think of? For instance, I hear the Japanese use those old style can-openers, without the twisting mechanism. Is it the same in S.K.?

You'll be waiting on your arc for the bones of a month. I managed to open a bank account with my director after getting here but I couldn't use internet banking or anything until I gave them my ARC.

For a quick moving country it takes a ridiculous amount of time to make the fecking card. My bank card was made in 20 seconds flat. My arc was renewed in 10seconds. I really don't know what they do in immigration!

• Advertisement

I'd be tempted to do this, though I don't have any teaching qualifications. Wouldn't have a clue where to start. Must pore over this thread in more detail.

Keep an eye on citydeals, they sell off the same TEFL course I payed 500 for for only 100 some days.

Advertisement