Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Middle-Aged Ambitions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭RubyK

Congrats slowsteady, that was a brilliant run! Well done on the pb, you must be delighted.

It was a great value race, the goody bag was really generous :D

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭slowsteady

Easy 8.24 miles, 8:34 pace

Two late evenings in a row meant enforced rest so was looking to get out this evening but not looking forward to the temperatures - softie:p

In the event got home for a couple of hours at lunchtime so got to run in the bright sunshine - much better, lovely run. Soles of the feet got very wet on Sunday and thought I had blisters but while tender, no blisters. Were very sensitive today and if I'm not careful I think they may develop.

Easy run but found I was sub-8 min for first two miles and had to put the brakes on.

Tempo 5 miles, 7:04 pace

Legs were a bit tired after yesterday and soles of the feet were still tender so plan was to take it easy enough 37/38 min. But the best laid plans of amateur runners and the instinctive greyhound(:confused:) chasing a quarry took over.

Winter league run, warm-up was from minus-something so blood temperature was achieved by the start. Went out in the middle of the pack but noticed it began to split fairly quickly, tagged on the back end of the first group but thought the pace a bit fast, put this down to me being not up to it:rolleyes:.

Struggled with the first mile and a half thinking this was much tougher than I had reckoned on, when most of the group peeled off sharp left and I realised they were only running the 2.5mile loop - idiot:o. Now found myself largely on my own with another half mile of uphill which I ran tracking down a couple of runners up ahead. Turn for home and the legs were starting to feel it but kept them turning. In last mile or so started to be passed by the real runners but passed a few of my own - the competitive instinct is a great motivator:). On the final lap of the track was passed by five of the faster handicappers, the legs in bits, but found a bit of something and sprinted the last 150yd myself and ran down 5 of my own - first time I ever produced a finish:p

Result was to equal my best ever 5 mile! Not planned, probably stupid but there you go, done now. Original plan was to have a go at the time next week, planning is not my strong suit. Need an easy weekend!

Easy 5.3 miles, 8:26 pace

Cold few days and forecast was misty rain this morning but wanted to get out early as had things to do. In the event 6 degrees and absolutely perfect, light mist, no wind, warmed up in no time. Legs felt good, roll on tomorrow's LSR:).

Medium/Intervals 12 miles, 8:14 pace

Would be a long run by my recent standards but barely a warm-up by what is going on here in the logs this year:p.

Up early providing taxi service so geared up to make the best use of the time. Cool and still around town but took off in an out and back loop generally following a shortened version of the half marathon route. Warmed up by the most georgeous red sky at dawn - days like this make you glad to be out - legs were good too, pace reflected this, bit too fast for a LSR (MSR:o) but let it go as life was good.

Got back to town and went over to the park and did 6 x 400m at about 10k pace with 90 sec recovery. That burned off the last of the energy and a final cooldown mile back to the car.

Only 140 miles so far for the year, but hadn't managed that by the Great Ireland 10k in mid-April last year so more than happy. Legs for the moment feel good, left achilles is always niggling but no real bother at present. Happy to go along with present mileage and maybe put some more tempo into some of the sessions.

• Advertisement

Hill Repeats 1.5 miles

Late out of work, had to do a taxi drop for a school quiz, 20 minutes to spare, what do you do? Hill repeats are one thing.

Did three repeats, very tough on the calves but good workout in the time available. Need to do more of these in the coming weeks.

Easy 3.3 miles, 8:20 pace

Had to do a taxi pickup in town so pulled on the gear and did a quick loop around by the Bridge and up to the golf club. Nice steep half mile climb to finish, put the tender muscles from the previous night to the sword again. Good workout.

Garmin added a mile to the run for some reason - did it in 0.99seconds - fair going

Tempo 5 miles, 7:01 pace

Tonight was the last night of the winter league but with the Anne Valley 5 mile on Saturday intended to take this relatively easy. Had no actual plan going out, no watches allowed, so ended up tracking the faster members of our group. Remembered what happened last week too late but at least one guy I was tracking was doing the longer 5 miles with me - whew!

Pace was fairly brisk but my breathing was very free for some reason, more than can be said for my legs, but I kept track of my man and the distance passed. In the final mile and a half I struggled to keep in touch but held on till I lost him in the crowd as we hit the stadium for the final 400m. Like last week I summoned up a sprint for the final 200m and as I got to the last 20 metres realised the clock said 34:54 but it was too late to get the magic number and had to settle for 35:03 or something close. I lost a bit in the crowd at half a mile to go, but for that....

Problem is that recovery for a proper go on Saturday is doubtful but will take an unofficial PB by 15 seconds any day:)

slowsteady wrote: »
    a mile to the run for some reason - did it in 0.99seconds - fair going

Those hill repeat sessions look to be paying off :D

Great going in the Winter League! I chickened out :o Best of luck Saturday, what are you hoping for? Weather looks to be ok - no wind anyway.

RubyK wrote: »
    Those hill repeat sessions look to be paying off :D

Great going in the Winter League! I chickened out :o Best of luck Saturday, what are you hoping for? Weather looks to be ok - no wind anyway.

After last night not too optimistic, but if the legs hold up I would like to get an official time of 35 min. Not run the race before but know the road and that hill up past the castle could be the killer. Here's hoping!

• Advertisement

Ye shall reap what ye shall sow, and so it proved today.

Having pushed the body on Thursday evening I knew any chance of a good result today was unlikely. 40 hours recovery, at my age:p, was never enough and the weather matched my mood at registration with rain and a cold breeze off the sea. Half a mile into a warmup headed back to the car for an extra top. Decided to head out with a 35 min target in mind and see what happened.

First mile was downhill so a pacey 6:25 was followed by a flat second in 7:01 but legs were weak and were not able for the hills in the next two miles both 7:35s. Nothing left for the final downhill half mile and the last mile took 7:15. Overall 36:03, exactly one minute slower than Thursday night.

No surprise but disappointing at the same time, looking at the course Thursday was the better bet for a good time, so no harm done. Tactically would have pulled a better time with a slower start but not in my nature - a gamble that didn't come off:o.

Onward and upward (we hope) - there is another 5 miler next Sunday:)

Easy 5.3 miles, 8:41 pace

Missed out on a recovery run yesterday as had to head off to the Big Smoke (i.e. inside the M50) early.

Legs missed some sort of a shakedown as they were a bit contrary this evening. Took it easy as the achilles was protesting after two races in 3 days and no much TLC since. Nice to be out before/while darkness was descending, a couple of weeks of lengthening days and we will be sorted.

Steady 10.1 miles, 7:55 pace

Have to go to Dublin this evening (day that is in it:p - OH did a runner with the kids, All- Ireland Dancing) so got out of work early and having picked up the necessary temptations in town pulled on the gear for a quick 10 miles. As I am under a bit of time pressure made this a steady run with a sub-8 target. Did 9 miles at 7:47 average and let last mile be the warmdown. Legs are good but not happy with achilles still.

Have to go, you never know, might be my lucky night:rolleyes:.

Easy 5.3 miles, 8:48 pace

Recovery type run after yesterday, ran by feel, mentally switched off as otherwise feel all the aches and pains, real and imaginary - make any sense?

Happy with result, HR only 129, sign of age:D

Overall happy with YTD of 170 miles, legs are comfortable, able for more, 18 weeks to Waterford marathon start weekend after next, so good base.

Easy 5.3 miles, 8:40 pace

Missed a run Thursday after a massive night on the gargle Wed night, just as well had a day off work:p. Filled in with a relaxed run to keep legs loose ahead of Sunday. Legs felt very stiff after the day off but were OK once they warmed up properly.

Missed on sub-35 in winter league 10 days ago and suffered the consequences last Saturday when even missed on sub-36. Reckoned on this race as a much better bet for a PB, flatter and faster.

Things looked even better this morning when arrived, clear blue skies, no wind, sun shining and chill gone from the air. Met up with a girl I used to work with, first time for some years, looking fit, well and...younger:mad: than me - reality doesn't lie. No idea what pace she was able for but suspected I would be in trouble as she lined up nearer the front than me.

First mile was downhill so couldn't resist my weakness - off too fast - 6:15, still time in the bank I thought optimistically. Next mile generally uphill and paid for the start, 7:16, so lost most of the advantage. Had kept my friend in sight from the start and passed her after 3/4 mile but as we started the third mile she returned the compliment and I then used her as a target for the next 2 miles. Both were slightly net downhill and I was really hanging on, paying for the start I thought, legs on the verge of bending. Concentrated on form to keep it together and was only 20 yards back at the start of the last mile, 6:53 and 6:51 so needed a 7:45 for the last mile.

After a further third of a mile there was a sharp (to me) rise for just 200m but it was enough to drain whatever I had left and I was done for. It took all of my willpower to avoid walking, the legs were gone, I struggled the next 1/4 mile while my friend took off for the line. The last quarter was downhill so made some kind of effort but it wasn't pretty. 7:21 plus a few to give a net 34:47 for a PB - the only good thing about my race today:).

My friend beat me by 30 seconds and I think if I had paced things better I could have got close but today was as close to perfect conditions as one could wish for so it might be sometime before I get the chance again. I was close to the edge most of the race, so there was little in the tank, HR 91/92%, so the only improvement left is pacing the race.

Congrats on a great pb!! Great running in Kilmac :)

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭irfrm

Well done on PB, I just have by a few sec's:p Amazing that we are
    running such similar times, have to look at race pace
    as split times are too erratic costing us better times.

After the great experience at the 10 miler last month had this one down as an early chance to wipe away a very poor PB at 10k.

However circumstances did not bode well as I had not run a step since racing the Kilmac 5 miler last Sunday. During half term my kids were competing in a dancing competition in Citywest and went up to see them a few times as work allowed. Close exposure to large numbers of people and I picked up my first dose of man-flu in a couple of years. By Tues I was in trouble and Wed/Thurs I could have easily gone to bed and stayed there but struggled through. Fri was mending and Sat was better. Went to bed hoping Sun would be recovered.

Got up feeling (sort of) OK but still with snivelly nose and coughing mucus but didn't write it off just yet. Breakfast and a walk with the dogs and the body felt better but the legs were not playing ball. Decided to travel and go for a warmup before making up my mind. Probably silly but I really wanted to clear out that PB (47:10) I knew that should be possible with any kind of reasonable performance.

Did a couple of miles warmup and other than sweating more than usual felt reasonable so decided to go out and see what happened. As usual headed off ambitiously at around 7:05 pace which I held for a couple of miles but knew would blow up so cut back to around 7:20 for the next 3 miles. By that stage I knew the PB was on and for the final 1.25 miles managed a sub-7 pace helped by seeing the clock up the finishing straight to get there in 44:48:D.

Absolutely delighted as knew from previous races that there was not much better in the tank on a good day, never mind today. It was knowing from reading these logs that one weeks training, just before a race, will make almost no difference that tempted me to try and the result proves it. The rested legs balanced up the rest of me but the loss of the week will count more for Mallow in a few weeks but - for now - who cares:).

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭irfrm

Well done on another PB, two PB's in a week, must be happy with that. What race are you going next Sunday:).

Will have to find a 10 km for myself.

• Advertisement

irfrm wrote: »
    Well done on another PB, two PB's in a week, must be happy with that. What race are you going next Sunday:).

Will have to find a 10 km for myself.

No race planned for next couple of weeks, need to do some training for a change:p

Happy out today as had not expected that. Need to get in some proper training as booked to do Mallow Paddy's weekend

Another pb! Great stuff! You are in flying form.

Lactate 8.5 miles, pace 8:02

After two PBs in a week and a dose of man flu in between it is back to reality this week - training:p. Signed up for the Waterford marathon last month and yesterday was the first day of the P&D 18-week training plan, fortunately a rest day. Today however was 8 miles with 4 at HM pace which for me is 7:30.

Had a night-time meeting back at the job so needed to get this in on the road home before dark. Under time pressure as usual so the warmup was 2 miles too fast at 8:10 before doing the 4 at lactate threshold which were managed at 7:20, 7:36, 7:32 and 7:28, the second one slightly uphill into a light wind. First w/d mile was a struggle but finished with 8:30.

Because of the race on Sunday felt the lactate building in the quads fairly quickly so was glad to be able to complete the 4 miles at the target pace. Good start but long way to go.

Aerobic 10 miles, 8:47 pace

P&D plan wanted 9 miles at 9:00 pace.

Have always had a problem with lower paced runs as I mentally start doing an inventory of all the aches and pains and this one was no exception. Usual suspect, my left achilles, started to shout and complain - I think this is caused by my running style as when I settle back to a pace I also settle back on my heels and this increases the stress on the achilles as the weight distribution is wrong. Maybe I am just a cr*p runner? :o

Run was fine but kept having to check the watch to stop the pace creeping below 8:30. Could feel the residual lactate from the previous run for the last couple of miles so glad to finish in the semi-darkness. Light enough at 6.30 in the morning to start thinking about getting the shorter runs in before work - roll on summer:)

Recovery 4.27 miles, 8:35 pace

Yesterday. My recovery pace is supposed to be 9:30 but I cannot run comfortably at this pace so went out at as easy a pace as I could manage. Average HR was just 127, lowest in over a year, so tried at least.

LSR 12.19 miles, 8:36 pace

OH alarm went off at 6:50 this morning so no lie in after that. No frost but even with the gloves and hat it was bl**dy freezing for first 4 miles till hit a sunny patch. After that it was a lovely run, ran at a relaxed pace and even the hilly route didn't bother me. Sorry I wasn't in Ballycotton this morning, great day to be out.

Aerobic 8.46 miles, 8:44 pace

Anyone looking for a positive update look away now... ...or move on to piece below.

Due to do this run on Tues but daughter's 16th birthday, ate too much and postponed till following night. Wed night I was late out of work and dinner was on the table when got home so ate a small dinner (as I thought) and intended to give it 2 hours and head out. When the time came around felt more like putting up the feet and hitting the TV and snack box but pulled on the gear and headed to town where there was some lighting. The temperature was 6 degrees but the first couple of miles were into the slight breeze and the wind chill cut through me like a knife, no hat or gloves and a short sleeved shirt whose wicking properties apparently apply to heat as well as sweat:). By this time I had no feeling in knees, ears, nose or fingers and core temperature was way down but a turn took me out of the wind and I started to thaw somewhat. But now dinner resurrected itself and I spent the rest of the run trying to keep it down and was near to parting company a good few times - not pleasant. I had a couple of opportunities to cut the run short but sheer bloodymindedness and having wimped out the previous evening wouldn't let me. Once I had hit the 8 mile target I really resented the extra 0.46 miles back to the car - into the wind again. There were supposed to be 10 x 100 strides included in this run but even one would have had me and dinner heading in different directions. A horrible, horrible run.

Aerobic 10 miles, 8:33 pace

Thurs, back on track with this run, missed the scheduled days rest between runs so legs felt sluggish starting out but had the advantage of doing this in late afternoon, amazing the difference a bit of natural light makes. Temperature was 12 degrees but slight chill was still in the breeze, a long sleeved shirt helped this time. Needed to include strides in this run so after a couple of miles warmup put in the first 5, didn't have the energy the hit them full throttle so concentrated on form. Kept general pace to the targeted 9 min for most part, found this easier than usual, and put in second 5 strides towards the end. Not a great run but infinitely better than Wed.

Home, shower, dinner and off to the blood bank where they were giving out cool red drink bottles so will christen that on the weekend:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

There's plenty to take out of the Wednesday night run - Conditions were poor and your clothing choices even poorer ;-) yet you persisted even though you were freezing out there. I had a similar story for a 40 min portion of my 30 mile run last weekend where I was freezing as a result of the cold wind coming in off the Coast Road in Clontarf. I think we both did the same thing and just poughed on and got through it which is all you can ask for in those situations.
    You didn't take any shortcuts so the mental strength is there in spades and sometimes that is more important than the physical strength!!
    Well done!

Recovery 5.3 miles, 8:43 pace

Unreal weather for this time of year so will just enjoy it. Straightforward recovery run, in humour to take it easy so kept pace down. Wednesday night a distant memory today and may it remain so.

LSR with 8 @ MP, 14.65 miles, 8:32 pace

Out early but mist was around for most of the run so not as pleasant as it might have been. Legs felt lethargic for the first couple of miles so knew the MP miles were going to be hard. Put this down to the blood donation the other night as have been crashing out at 10pm rather than my usual midnight plus.

Sure enough when stepped up the pace struggled to keep to 8:00 but averaged 7:59 in the end:), but the effort was much harder than it should have been. Pity HR monitor needed a new battery as would have liked to have seen what it showed. Found it hard to keep even to 9:00 pace for rest of run, batteries completely gone. Need to recharge in front of Eng v France and athletics for the rest of the day:P.

• Advertisement

Aerobic 9 miles, 8:41 pace

Out in the dark on country roads tonight, something different, just enough light pollution reflecting off the cloud on to dry roads to see where I was going. Know the roads so no major issue but only to be repeated in this kind of unique weather.

Ran blind (no checking watch), kept the pace steady but found it tough on the legs.

Advertisement