Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

So what happens if you "forgot" to pay speeding fine??

• 05-02-2007 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭

Well Hello,I have a friend, we will call him XY2007, and he "forgot" to pay his speeding fine!The unfortunate fellow did 80km/h in a 60km/h zone.

He received a nice letter from the pi... Gardai saying that he was caught and he must pay fine and that he has 2 bonus points!However, XY2007 forgot to pay this fine withing 28 days which bumped the fine up a little which had to be paid within a further 28 days. Yet he forgot!!

He went to the postoffice to pay fine 2 days after the deadling but the nasty little post man wouldn't accept it. The nasty post man stapled a receipt which proves that he made an attempt to pay fine which may help his cause.

What will happen my friend?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Court!!! More than likely a hefty fine and 4 points for his "forgetfulness"!!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Also when in court tell your friend not to forget to refer to them as gardai. If he let something slip the way you nearly did he would be punished severly and rightfully so!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

jonny24ie wrote:
    Court!!! More than likely a hefty fine and 4 points for his "forgetfulness"!!

He is aware of the extra bonus points but not sure of the fine. Different people say different amounts!

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Cerdito

I think your friend is you

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭pedro ferio-vti

Well done Mr. Holmes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Should have just said you never received it. Its not delivered by registered post, IF you do go to court say you didn't receive it until that day, they can't prove otherwise.
    Blame it on the post office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Car Mad

and get done for lieing in court aswell.court appearnce four points and a bigger fine i think its double he wont forget the next time ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Cerdito wrote:
    I think your friend is you

You should change your name to Mastermind!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,218 ✭✭✭✭Victor

craichoe wrote:
    Should have just said you never received it. Its not delivered by registered post, IF you do go to court say you didn't receive it until that day, they can't prove otherwise. Blame it on the post office.
    py2006 wrote:
    He went to the postoffice to pay fine 2 days after the deadling but the nasty little post man wouldn't accept it. The nasty post man stapled a receipt which proves that he made an attempt to pay fine which may help his cause.
    Doh!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,198 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

This has always boggled me.... What if you genuinly never got the letter in the post and had to go to court?

Like, say in court, you admit to speeding and don't contest the fine and 2 points.... Would you get away with the 2 points and fine, or would you get the 4 points for dragging (Even though not your fault I guess) it to court?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Unless you can prove it didn't get to your house on time then you can't use that excuse!! I think the max fine is €2500!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,198 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

jonny24ie wrote:
    Unless you can prove it didn't get to your house on time then you can't use that excuse!! I think the max fine is €2500!!!

Guilty until proven innocent?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭Mojito

Happened to me.

Got caught speeding up in Cavan at the start of Aug 2005. Got pulled over and handed a speeding ticket. Lost the ticket and thought I would get a reminder sent out in the post. Never heard anything more untill Feb 2006.

I got a summons delivered by registered post to my house. I rang the Guard to find out if I could pay the fine late as I wasn't contesting the speeding ticket. Told them I had lost the original ticket and thought that I would get sent a reminder but never got one.

He told me that they have stopped sending out reminders and that once you get a summons you have to go to court there is nothing they can do to stop that anymore. I asked him for the name of a good local solicitor and got in touch with them.

The solicitor went to court on my behalf and ask the judge to extend the payment date as I was not contesting the speeding ticket. The judge extended it by 14 days. I paid the fine got 2 points and paid the solicitor 100 euros. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭GEO147

Ok so I was given a ticket for doing 72km in a 60km zone on the Tallaght Bypass (what a joke of a speed limit, and I thought these vans were supposed to be at black spots?).

Anyway I recieved the notice dated 18th Jan which says I have 28 days to pay €80 and if not paid, then I have another 28 days to pay €120. I have calculated that this brings me up to 16th March to pay €120.

I called the number on the notice yesterday with laser card in hand only to be told I couldny pay over the phone as there were penalty points involved, WHAT A JOKE (this is the year 2011!!:confused:

So over to the post office I go today the 5th March to pay the fine (still 13 days within the time limit) only to be told that the fine isnt on the SYSTEM???

I got two print outs showing the attempts made.

What should I do now??

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Please start a new thread. Bumping 4 year old ones isn't on. Thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement