Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

how old is a classic car?

• 23-02-2005 4:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭

im new to this game and was just wondering how old a classic car is as i was lookin into getting a old 1ltr car and insuring it with first ireland. im 21 with a provisional license. do you think it be worth my while going down this path?

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,548 ✭✭✭✭unkel

That won't work. You can typically only get cheap classic car insurance if you already have insurance on another car you own

"classic car" is not a tightly defined concept for classic insurance afaik. Some cars are considered classic at 20 year, some at 30

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭PaulK_CCI

the age limit of the car that insurance companies restrict their cars to, is 20 (or in some cases 25) years. But even if you were to find a way to bypass the common requirement that Unkel is referring to, to have another vehicle as your main driver, you still wouldn;t qualify because the age restriction they impose on the driver is unfortunately 25 years of age!!!!

To put that in perspective, you generally pay an annual 3rd party only premium on any classic car here in the Netherlands of 55 - 75 euro's max.....with an age restriction of the driver of 18 or 20 years of age (slightly higher premiums for lower ages, but still well under 500k!!!!).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

I was wondering about this too.

For taxes, vrt, etc is it over 30 years. Is insurance completely up to the insurance companies discretion to give classic insurance or not?

Would a hotrod be considered to be a classic car for tax and insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,021 ✭✭✭Silvera

retenzo wrote:
    im new to this game and was just wondering how old a classic car is as i was lookin into getting a old 1ltr car and insuring it with first ireland. im 21 with a provisional license. do you think it be worth my while going down this path? thanks.

AFAIK, you must be over 25 to get classic ins (+ have a full licence).

A quick phone call to First Ireland would confirm the situation. Let us know the outcome please.

Silvera.

For taxes, vrt, etc is it over 30 years.

To qualify for 'classic' tax and VRT rates the vehicle must be 30 years or older.

Re Tax - see above.

Re Insurance - Yes, if it is over the required age limit set by the relevant ins company (generally 25 years or older).

Insurance companies set their own age-limit for classic policies.

However, I would caution that obtaining a quote for a Hotrod may be less than straighforward due to the vehicle being altered from it's original specification.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I was wondering about this too.

For taxes, vrt, etc is it over 30 years. Is insurance completely up to the insurance companies discretion to give classic insurance or not?

It is up to the insurance companies discretion. That's why they might allow a 19 yr old classic if you can convince them you treat it as one - and have at least one other main driver.

A guess to begin the hotrod would have to be 20 yrs old or thereabouts from it's date of registration. You can't substitute "modified" for "old"... :D

Of course you'd have to quailfy for the personal criteria as discussed above to even stand a chance.

*crossed over Silvera's post - I've heard of 19 yr old cars on classic ins.*

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭green-blood

I kniow people who have managed to swing classic policies on 4 year old minis.. but they did have other minis on classic policies and usually a modern car for daily use

I also heard of a 12 year old 911 getting a classic policy - the daily driver 04 Merc 500SL may have helped swing the deal!!

any idea of which ins companies gave those policies, green-blood ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭camarobill

I kniow people who have managed to swing classic policies on 4 year old minis.. but they did have other minis on classic policies and usually a modern car for daily use

I also heard of a 12 year old 911 getting a classic policy - the daily driver 04 Merc 500SL may have helped swing the deal!!
    who does these policies,iv two classic cars with carol nash,but my daily driver 1990 1.8gti 16v golf cant b put on the policie, :mad: find out the name if u can please ;););)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭shagman

First Ireland will do a classic policy retricted to 10K miles without the need for a second modern banger. AFAIK the irish custom federation / Irish street rod association have sourced a hot rod insurance scheme ,do a search on http://www.irish-customs.com/ on their forums page and you'll find out what you need to know. I think the sticking point will be your age though it seems that it's not possible to get insured on a classic in Ireland if you're under 25!!!! :eek: Hope you prove me wrong but if thats the case thats just plain WRONG!! What about the named driver route?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 max452

PLEASE TELL ME SHAGMAN IS WRONG i just spent over 20 grand on a 1966 mustang coupe and i'm only 20.. so your saying no one will insure me!!!!!!!!!!!
    PLEASE TELL ME THERES A LOOP HOLE!!
    what if i get my old man to get the insurance and i'll become a named driver?
    dose anyone know if that'll work?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,471 ✭✭✭maidhc

max452 wrote:
    PLEASE TELL ME SHAGMAN IS WRONG i just spent over 20 grand on a 1966 mustang coupe and i'm only 20.. so your saying no one will insure me!!!!!!!!!!!
    PLEASE TELL ME THERES A LOOP HOLE!!
    what if i get my old man to get the insurance and i'll become a named driver?
    dose anyone know if that'll work?

No no and no.

I'm 24 and to get insured on a '74 Capri I had a bit of convincing to do with Axa. They loaded the premium somewhat, and stated categorically the only reason they were insuring me is because I have a perfect record (full ncb, 0 points etc), and because I am already a customer (Have a Ford Focus).

They also said that you cannot add a named driver to a classic policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭OKenora

2 types of classic policies, 1 insures anyone over 25 to drive it with a full licence the other insures named people to drive it but usually stipualtes over 25's only. Depends on the Insurance company as to which they offer.

Reasons for this 25 year old cutoff ? Simple to stop Daddy insuring an old "classic" for buttons so little Johnny can run about learning to drive and avoiding the high premium young drivers usually pay.

Only loophole I can see is that if your dad "owned" (and insured) the car and you have fully comp on your daily driver then you at least can drive the classic insured TP by your daily drivers policy. Check the small print in your daily drivers policy to see if that actually is ok with your insurer.

Other option is to try and find a classic car only insurer that may consider you if theres an older more experienced driver on the policy too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭Spit62500

maidhc wrote:

They also said that you cannot add a named driver to a classic policy.

Axa will allow a named driver on a classic policy - my wife is a named driver on mine. Its the only policy I have with them as my main car was cheaper to insure elewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

you'll get insurance under 25 alright but NOT classic insurance...I believe Hiberian for one will insure any age car....not sure what they'll say about a 20 yr old insuring a Mustang Coupé though....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,471 ✭✭✭maidhc

Spit62500 wrote:
    Axa will allow a named driver on a classic policy - my wife is a named driver on mine. Its the only policy I have with them as my main car was cheaper to insure elewhere.

Sorry, mean named driver under 25. I have both of my parents named too. :)

Advertisement