Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coin Dealers in Dublin

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

He found it in the UK not here. There was contemporary brass imitations which are still interesting and not a bad price for around $80 on that site you linked. His however is the genuine silver one.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭kazza90210

I have thousands of old coins collected by my grandmother, I doubt there are any extremely rare coins but it is a large collection none the less. I was wondering what to do with them? Im not really interested in going through them all and trying to find values, is there any place that will take them and give me some money for them?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

kazza90210 are they Irish?

Blade wrote: »
    kazza90210 are they Irish?

Most are, may be a couple of english ones.

been reading some posts with interest, maybe it would be worth my while to see if there are any rare ones, would take forever but could turn out to be worth it!!!:D

Forgot to ask are they decimal or pre decimal? Decimal is from 1969 onwards.

• Advertisement

Blade wrote: »
    Forgot to ask are they decimal or pre decimal? Decimal is from 1969 onwards.

Mix of both, probably more after 1969 then before, would it be worth it to go through them properly or are they worth nothing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 GUNMONEY

kazza,
    If they are 1969 to 2000 the central bank will take them as long as they are bagged 1 penny * 100 £1, 2 pence * 50 etc, etc.
    You will get face value £1 = €1.27 (if you have uk 1p and 2p you can throw them in as well :D
    If you have uncirculated decimal hold on to them.
    Everything else check for Irish 1943 florins and Halfcrowns, they are worth some thing, every thing else there is a couple of dealers or auction rooms around the country who will sell these for you. You would normally expect to get more at an auction than you would from a dealer.
    If you have uncirculated hold on to them.
    Now all your uncirculated coins, google dublin coin auctions and he will advise on what is worth selling. You should get more at a coin auctions that a regular auctions.

Hope this helps.

kazza90210 wrote: »
    Mix of both, probably more after 1969 then before, would it be worth it to go through them properly or are they worth nothing?

Well there are key dates in both decimal and pre decimal, some of the 1986's and the 1985 20p for example. I went through a few thousand pounds worth of decimals and pre's and bagged them by type and date and it took me a few days alright but I got some nice finds in there including some nice error coins. Also I then had lots of complete date runs of all the coins. You might be better off selling them to a dealer or put them up for auction as one lot if you aren't willing to go through them yourself and you don't know exactly what to be looking out for. I wouldn't cash them in at the central bank though. It depends really, it could be all junk, I'd know at a quick glance what your chances of success are if I saw them.

Thanks for the replys guys think ill just have to set aside a day and go through them all! I wouldnt even know a rare coin if it hit me in the face, so ill have to do my reseach!

kazza90210 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replys guys think ill just have to set aside a day and go through them all! I wouldnt even know a rare coin if it hit me in the face, so ill have to do my reseach!

Sort them first by type then by date and when you're ready you can ask what to look for. When you have them stacked in little piles, look out for edge errors, you'll see immeditately if theres an odd one out. Like for example the milled edge pound coins. But same goes for all types, you might find some of the milled type coins have an odd smooth edge one etc. Look for anything weird that could be an error, double strikes etc etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mightyniagara

I would be very interested to get some info on silver shops in Ireland. Do many of them carry US 90% silver coinage, or is there even any desire to collect such?

I would like to possibly open a silver shop, and was just looking for some insights into the subject. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Yerwan1

Would anyone be able to tell me how much I would get for the following coins? My mam had them in a box for a few years and has given them to me;

3 Irish Half Crowns ( silver) 1951, 1964 and 1967
    1 Irish Halfpenny 1971
    2 3 pence bit silver coins (rabbit on front) 1966
    1 One Dollar silver coin 1971
    2 20f coins 1980, 1982
    2 10 pfenning coins 1988, 1990
    2 5 pfenning coins 1986, 1992 Large Coins
    2 5 pfenning coinrs 1994, 1977 Small Coins
    1 Irish 5p coin 1996
    1 Deutsche Mark 1989
    1 50 pfenning coin (small) 1978
    1 50 pfenning coin (large) 1990
    1 1F 1991

And another coin im not too sure what it is, on the front theres a bull it says 10 new pence 1970, and on the back it says "s'Ballivie Insvle Degernere Ve"

Any help would be much appreciated
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

the s'Ballivie Insvle Degernere Ve coin is from guernsey

I can tell you those Irish ones are worth very little, hardly even worth putting a value on them. Those Half crowns aren't actually silver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 thomasmi

hello
    a dealer on cathedral st. in dublin interested will make a effort , to stop by this september ,our trip ,, have arranged coins for 40 yrs.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Kyrilith

GUNMONEY wrote: »
    First of all, If you found it, it belongs to the state and not to you.

This is the law in Ireland? And I thought the US was screwed up. Anyways, I'd probably take it home regardless. Finders keepers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Kyrilith wrote: »
    Anyways, I'd probably take it home regardless. Finders keepers.

Kyrilith, what you do is your own business but please do not advocate illegal behaviour in this forum. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Navy28

hi could you tell me if theres much value in a bag of uncircultated 3p coins with the date 1964 on them.

Navy28 wrote: »
    hi could you tell me if theres much value in a bag of uncircultated 3p coins with the date 1964 on them.

Is the bag sealed by the mint and are they Irish?

yes its in the bag from the mint and has the mint seal,error on last mesg there from 1968.

• Advertisement

You should get around 30 euro assuming the bag is still sealed and they are Irish.

Hi,I was just wondering if you could recommend someone or a business that could do a valuation on a large collection of coins just a small example of what i have.

Irish pennies

1962 x 36
    1965 x 70
    1946 x 64
    1928 x 91
    1935 x 103
    1963 x 61
    1950 x 43
    1948 x 62
    1931 x 51
    1933 x 43
    1949 x 53
    1964 x 58

any suggestions would be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭RNB

Hi folks,

I have a 1986 set in green and white card folder with gold horse motif. I believe it was to commerate the introduction of the 20p.

The value listed on IrishCoinage is showing as €575, but I was wondering if this site is completely up-to-date with it's valuations?

Many thanks,
    RNB

RNB wrote: »
    Hi folks,

I have a 1986 set in green and white card folder with gold horse motif. I believe it was to commerate the introduction of the 20p.

The value listed on IrishCoinage is showing as €575, but I was wondering if this site is completely up-to-date with it's valuations?

Many thanks,
    RNB

No, the site is not completely up to date with it's valuations but it just so happens that the valuation for the 1986 set is still reasonably accurate, a 1986 set sold at the Nov coin auctions for 600 Euro, add to this the commission and it wouldn't be unreasonable for you to ask 650 euro for that set. Most of these sets had a problem with the glue leaking out of the folder, this is ok once the glue didn't get near any of the coins. So keep this in mind, the above set I mentioned had glue leakage but the coins were not affected. If any of the coins have been affected by the glue then your set would be worth considerably less.

Thanks for the speedy response Blade.

Would you have any idea where the best place to sell this item in Dublin might be?

Thanks once again,
    Ray

Hmm not really, you could try some of the coin dealers and see if they want to buy it. Though a dealer probably wouldn't give you that kind of money for it. You could always stick it in the buy and sell, ebay or Adverts.ie. Just make sure you're clear about the glue issue as everyone will want to know.

Good stuff - thanks once again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 2bliner

Hello Everyone! I have some silver and bronze Irish and British coins available. Please visit my little shop on the web ***********
    Collect, Invest, Have Fun!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

2bliner wrote: »
    Hello Everyone! I have some silver and bronze Irish and British coins available. Please visit my little shop on the web ***********
    Collect, Invest, Have Fun!!
    Please refrain from advertising on the forum,if you have anything you wish to sell you can place an advert on adverts.ie,the link is http://www.adverts.ie/showcat.php?cat=66 ,you can place an advert there and add a link on your post here to your advert.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 PokerBonusMine

Hi guys,

I am in a process of buying a collection of coins, but I am a bit stock with the offer, had a look around, cant really find any relevant info. The collection is mainly silver and bronze hammered coins, some 1622, 1623 and 1624.

Any advice would be very helpful.
    Thanks!!

Advertisement