Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

For people who like REAL HIP HOP

• 04-01-2007 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

I just thought id make this thread for people who listen to the real stuff out there.I know i dont have the right to say what is and isn't hip hop but quite frankly im sick of reading how game made 2 classic albums,or how lil wayne is the best lyricist ever.So i made this thread so we can converse :D

Recommend any Music you think we may enjoy,because theres lots of stuff out there we let pass us by everyday(Ive recently just discovered Tanya Morgan,check them out very good!)

And please,If your goin to come into this thread and argue how G-Unit are real gangsta's and true hip hop,jump out in front of a bus before you post!

So ill get the ball rolling.....Common!His discography is crazy!If you think BE is a good album,check out ressurection,his style has changed alot since back then,but its still a great album!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 streetryder

yeh im wit ya. im into more of de true rappers, not 50 cent and de game there nothin. im into DMX, LL COOL J, JA RULE, METHOD MAN, RED MAN, TUPAC. theses are true rappers, came from de ghetto and still from de ghetto

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Strange_Fruit

theses are true rappers, came from de ghetto and still from de ghetto
    yeh but you know you dont have to be from the "Ghetto" to make rap music.

listen to this song!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7X0q2q1JJY

i know. i just said that thats were they came from, but most good rappers do

cool song, good lyrics and beat. thats wat i call hip hop, if only it was still like that. hip hop has changes so much

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

How has Ja Rule got any credibility whatsoever? This is the worst thread ever, I've never seen L'il Wayne toted as the best lyricist in this forum. Real Hip Hop is one thing but what's so real about talking ebonics on an Irish forum?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

^Playa-hater

• Registered Users Posts: 8,418 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Umaro wrote:
    ^Playa-hater

LOL ;)

Yeah though, I think you'll find the whole G-Unit are sh1te thing has been done to death on this forum at this stage. We all know 50 is a mumbling eejit. And tbh if you have a look through this forum, theres a whole host of threads talking about "real" hip hop if you so wish to refer to it as such.

And I think you'll find that Tupac is not still from the ghetto, he now raps from under the soil of a farm in Lumberton, North Carolina. That don't sound soooo ghetto beeotch :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

LOL ;)

And I think you'll find that Tupac is not still from the ghetto, he now raps from under the soil of a farm in Lumberton, North Carolina. That don't sound soooo ghetto beeotch :D

Nasty, Tupac never was the ghetto thug he made out to be was he? Nice boy from a rough area, dance student, meets his producer and becomes ganstaa, Diddy much the same, diddy was a middle class boy who bought a street persona at a fashion show, much like half the irish people who listen to, tupac or 50cent and his cronies :D

Ive seen Aesop Rock slagged off on these forums, but he a lot more HipHop than fiddy and his trainer selling GUnit mates

As for DMX and his ilke,aint got no flow, a rapper with no flow aint a rapper he's a shouter, which is fine unless all they shout about is how good a rapper they are ;D

Kold wrote:
    How has Ja Rule got any credibility whatsoever? This is the worst thread ever, I've never seen L'il Wayne toted as the best lyricist in this forum. Real Hip Hop is one thing but what's so real about talking ebonics on an Irish forum?
    well theres alot of other forums that worship that bitch..

look just drop some good advice on artists you feel others should check out,and what i meant by that ws,dont drop **** like biggy - life after death.Go along the lines of Erikah Badu - Baduism

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

psyche origami - check out "commercial property"

dj format - "music for the mature b-boy"

dj krush - "meiso" [yeah it's over a decade old so what]

skinnyman - council estate of mind [good album, bit heavy on the skits, but the ****s are all sampled off "made in britain" which was a savage movie back in the day and the title track is a uk hip hop classic imo]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Tupac used to dance in costumes with Digital Underground and Dre used to dress in drag.Surely they were the first two gay rappers.Pioneers in Hip-Hop if you will.;)

LOL ;)

Yeah though, I think you'll find the whole G-Unit are sh1te thing has been done to death on this forum at this stage. We all know 50 is a mumbling eejit. And tbh if you have a look through this forum, theres a whole host of threads talking about "real" hip hop if you so wish to refer to it as such.

TBH 50 speaks better then most MC's out there.

To the original threadstarter,check out some old Coup and Outkast.Like ATLiens, Aquamini,Steal This Album etc.

skinnyman - council estate of mind
    Great album,its like the illmatic from england :D

another album to check for Gang Starr daily operation.I know most of the hip hop heads will have heard this years ago but some people might no know about it.Anyway,give it a listen!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

We all know 50 is a mumbling eejit.

He's actually a pretty smart businessman and is surprisingly self-aware for someone you'd expect to be surrounded by yes-men. You won't rise to the top of the game purely off talent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 soloparadox

yeh im wit ya. im into more of de true rappers, not 50 cent and de game there nothin. im into DMX, LL COOL J, JA RULE, METHOD MAN, RED MAN, TUPAC. theses are true rappers, came from de ghetto and still from de ghetto
    lmao LL Cool J is from the suburbs and has never tried to hide this fact, Ja Rule was also from a relatively opulent area. You seem to be greatly misguided.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

Just flicking through some of my old school beats, Tony Touch, Tony Toka, Assinisits, Dead Prez, check them out :].

Edit: Second thought, that might not be allowed.

Check out Pharoahe Monch, very cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Big L > Your Favourite Rapper

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=44158235 Good old school beat, we used to kill the MOP **** at house partys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭me and the biz

seeing that in your sig makes me tear up a little bit Endurance man

• Advertisement

seeing that in your sig makes me tear up a little bit Endurance man

Whats that ? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Colin Mac

elshambo wrote:
    Nasty, Tupac never was the ghetto thug he made out to be was he? Nice boy from a rough area, dance student, meets his producer and becomes ganstaa,

Tupac was the truest, most respected rapper that ever lived who never made himself out to be anything he wasn't.

Colin Mac wrote:
    Tupac was the truest, most respected rapper that ever lived who never made himself out to be anything he wasn't.
    Tupac was never the compton blood that he portrayed himself as during his death row days, he was a Harlem kid who went to arts schools through his teens. I'm not saying that the guy didn't suffer poverty or hard times but he was never the gangbanging thug that Sug made him out to be.

Tupac was never the compton blood that he portrayed himself as during his death row days, he was a Harlem kid who went to arts schools through his teens. I'm not saying that the guy didn't suffer poverty or hard times but he was never the gangbanging thug that Sug made him out to be.

Like I said, Tupac never claimed to be something he wasn't. And big deal if he studied arts, does it matter? Also, Tupac never claimed to be a blood.

Please people lets leave the gang bull**** out of this thread.

Its just...depressing.

Colin Mac wrote:
    Like I said, Tupac never claimed to be something he wasn't. And big deal if he studied arts, does it matter? Also, Tupac never claimed to be a blood.
    Like i said he portrayed himself as a gangster and parroted thug life, he claimed to be a thug, he was not, therefor he claimed to be something he was not.....

Orizio wrote:
    Please people lets leave the gang bull**** out of this thread.

Its just...depressing.

Tupac wore red, hung with bloods and helped sug beat on crips. This is a fact, im just saying he was not the gangster he made himself out to be. I would like if you could elaborate on "The gang bull****" because it seems to me that you are in some way infering that im going to start an argument as to which L.A gang is superior, which if you cared to read my posts, is far from the case.

Like i said he portrayed himself as a gangster and parroted thug life, he claimed to be a thug, he was not, therefor he claimed to be something he was not.....

Thug Life as defined by Tupac meant somebody who has got nothing, that's what Thug meant to Tupac, he said that himself. Your argument is stupid though, ask yourself why is that as soon as Tupac was mentioned as being a good rapper, you jump in to argue on how he wasn't a ganster? Have you not noticed that virtually every rapper in this thread claims to be a ganster?
    Or are they all worthy of it, unlike Tupac.

Tupac wore red, hung with bloods and helped sug beat on crips. This is a fact, im just saying he was not the gangster he made himself out to be. I would like if you could elaborate on "The gang bull****" because it seems to me that you are in some way infering that im going to start an argument as to which L.A gang is superior, which if you cared to read my posts, is far from the case.

I know thats not what you said.I'm not infering anything, I just don't see the merit of any discussion about Tupac's credentials.Don't you ever get sick of such discussions popping up in Hip-Hop?
    Colin Mac wrote:
    Have you not noticed that virtually every rapper in this thread claims to be a ganster?

This is far from true in fairness.Common,P Monch,Aesop's Rock etc have all been mentioned and don't seem to affiliate themselves with gangs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,418 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

good point Oriz, apart from Tupac, which of the artists mentioned thus far, of which theres only been about 10, have gang affiliations?

But getting back on topic, for the Wu-Tang fans, of which there seems to be a few around at the mo, check out I AM, they're a french hip-hop group, with a similar kinda sound, pretty good stuff.

Also get your hands on Blazing Arrow by Blackalicious, Common's earlier material (last two albums are his worst imo), some Edan (Primitive Plus and Beauty & The Beat are both nice), either of the Handsome Boy Modelling School albums, MC Paul Barman, Mos Def, Opio, Organized Konfusion, Pharoahe Monch (if you can get your hands on Internal Affairs, its a classic), Ugly Duckling.

That'll do for now!

Advertisement