Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Venomous spiders in Ireland?!

• 16-03-2012 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭MadameGascar

Me and my boyfriend are on antibiotics after being attacked by what we've deduced to being a spider bite! I never knew there was anything in this country that could leave us with the horrific lumps we have (himself had to be lacerated without anesthetic!:eek:). OH was in A&E today after memory loss, dizziness and numb fingers which came on quite intensely out of nowhere.

We were sleeping in a room that hadn't been used in a long time, and after the extermination we had found a few species, most notably what seems to have been a nest of hobo spiders-Tegenaria agrestis, at the bottom of a wardrobe beside the bed. I managed to identify them after ages with Google, but very easily as soon as I saw it. Under the bed we also found two house spiders, and a white chap that was very like a daddy long legs. So of course the hobo's are getting the blame, but how could it be?!?! I haven't been able to find anything suggesting they exist in Ireland, never mind cause this much trouble. Could we be on the right track?

My friend was treated for staph (also found in boyfriends swab results) not so long ago & when I showed him the hobo he immediately recognized them as being the same as ones he recently found and killed in his attic. His house and my room are both in the countryside and had been dormant just before this happened, so could the hobo's have taken up residence in it? Is it most likely the 'aggressive house spider', or are there any other dangerous spiders in Ireland we need to know about! All I can find out is that America's hobo's originated in Europe :rolleyes:

We're certain it was spider bite as my boyfriend was bitten first, and after the first night we swapped sides of the bed (as he was having trouble sleeping with the side his bite was on), I woke up with the same thing.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

:confused:
    antibiotics will kill a bacterial infection, if you were having problems with spider venom you would need an anti-venom.
    Staph infections are contagious human to human. I don't think we have spiders in Ireland with enough venom to affect humans - they certainly can bite though. I lived in a house with those giant house spiders..... horrific:eek:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Moved from Animals & Pets by request from the OP

<EDT: Never mind, I see they have started another, perhaps mods could remove one.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

are you sure it wasn't dust mites, fleas etc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Jesus. I will never be right again.

What did they say it was in A&E?

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭swifts need our help!

I cant imagine a spider biting a person because they lie on its side of the bed.

I would have guessed bed bugs or dog/cat fleas

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

Doesn't sound like a spider bite to me and if it was antibiotics wouldn't help at all.

I don't think insects even carry Staph infection, if your friend had it not so long ago it's more likely that you picked it up from him/her somehow

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭MadameGascar

Definitely wasn't ticks or fleas or bed bugs, I wish! It was like this on OH's leg http://search.babylon.com/imageres.php?iu=http://www.hobospider.com/images/bite3.jpg&ir=http://www.hobospider.com/stories/hobostory.html&ig=http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSsv3QkHhLeAI-mw568uVqyO7QoNcE-xHel-noShiLsANJkRhglEftSnA&h=122&w=200&q=hobo%20spider%20bite&babsrc=SP_ss , mine wasn't as bad. Since mine has gone down over the past two days I can see the bite marks :eek:

I contacted a friend of a friend ecologist and it turns out I was right about it being the hobo spider. Its not the first time he has dealt with them either! Supposedly even black widows have been found in houses around Dublin port.

The hobo isn't native to Ireland, but are becoming more common indoors and outdoors as they come in, usually the egg sacs, from mainland Europe or possibly the U.S. They love piles of stuff on the ground of which there was nothing but in the house.

Antibiotics are often needed for spider bites, but the doctors didn't really know too much about what they were dealing with. All my boyfriends tests came back clear, they didn't check for anything to do with a bite though. Both of us have memory loss and headaches but he's much worse:o Recovery has followed the course of a spider bite, can't believe it, little bastards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Scrappychimow

Me and my boyfriend are on antibiotics after being attacked by what we've deduced to being a spider bite!

Congratulations! you must be the first people in Ireland ( and the world) to have been attacked by an actual spider bite. I wonder where the spider was when the 'bite' was attacking you? Maybe the nasty spider was watching from his web and laughing at the unfolding scenario .

http://boondocsmedicine.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=97:staph-infections-maybe-its-not-a-spider-bite&catid=35:wildernessmedicine&Itemid=61

As a trained dermatologist, skin infections are one of my specialties, and you can imagine how often "skin stuff" happens outdoors. One of the most common clinical problems I see are bacterial infections. More specifically, the skin lesions induced by a bacteria known by the species name Staphylococci (Staph, for short) can be particularly troublesome and account for everything ranging from easy-to-treat impetigo and folliculitis to painful furuncles (boils) to life-threatening Staph Scalded Skin and Toxic Shock Syndrome! Amazingly, people often think they have been "bitten by a Brown Recluse spider" but, when all is said and done, it is a simple bacterial infection of the skin that is to blame.

Congratulations! you must be the first people in Ireland ( and the world) to have been attacked by an actual spider bite. I wonder where the spider was when the 'bite' was attacking you? Maybe the nasty spider was watching from his web and laughing at the unfolding scenario .

http://boondocsmedicine.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=97:staph-infections-maybe-its-not-a-spider-bite&catid=35:wildernessmedicine&Itemid=61

As a trained dermatologist, skin infections are one of my specialties, and you can imagine how often "skin stuff" happens outdoors. One of the most common clinical problems I see are bacterial infections. More specifically, the skin lesions induced by a bacteria known by the species name Staphylococci (Staph, for short) can be particularly troublesome and account for everything ranging from easy-to-treat impetigo and folliculitis to painful furuncles (boils) to life-threatening Staph Scalded Skin and Toxic Shock Syndrome! Amazingly, people often think they have been "bitten by a Brown Recluse spider" but, when all is said and done, it is a simple bacterial infection of the skin that is to blame.

We found a nest of spiders identified as being what I've said they were beside our bed and through the house. I could see bite marks on my arm of a spider, in fact staph was found in boyfriends wound and not mine, and you decide to... attack my grammar and then just tell me I'm wrong despite the obvious? Jesus you must be a bit mad!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

We found a nest of spiders identified as being what I've said they were beside our bed

any pics?

• Advertisement

Sorry, I've come on here and all I've seem to have gotten back is doubt or abuse. :rolleyes: Been in touch and showed specimens to ecogologist and everyone else. And I shouldn't really need to post pics online to prove anything, I was just looking for some advice. Unfortunately I never got any pics of what bit but I'll try my best over the next few days. Thanks very ****ing much really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

I've been bitten twice by a spider that I think might be a false black widow. both times was in spring and both times from putting on clothes straight from the line in my poly tunnel. Both times I needed an adrenalin shot and a serious dose of antibiotics, It was no joke and I'm now terrified of being bitten again. I still have the scars. Please be careful and maybe have the room fumigated, next time it could be even worse. I actually felt the bites when they happened and it was quite a nip.

I've been bitten twice by a spider that I think might be a false black widow. both times was in spring and both times from putting on clothes straight from the line in my poly tunnel. Both times I needed an adrenalin shot and a serious dose of antibiotics, It was no joke and I'm now terrified of being bitten again. I still have the scars. Please be careful and maybe have the room fumigated, next time it could be even worse. I actually felt the bites when they happened and it was quite a nip.

Thanks yellowlabrador, its terrifying, if they're in any other country to survive it, the why not here eh?! We are getting the house fumigated tomorrow morning, they were nasty bites anyway, hopefully will have some pics then!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 prplflutterbye

I feel your pain, over a year ago I felt a very sharp pain just under my left eye I put my hand up (as you do) to see what was on me and a Huntsman Spider fell to the ground! After the swelling went down I could see two Very distinctive Large puncture wounds where the bite had occured. I was perscribed anti inflammatorys and an antibiotic cream for the bite site. Hairy S**T!

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Desmo

You don't get Tegenaria agrestis in Ireland but there are 3 or 4 other Tegenarias here that are familiarly called "House Spiders" and they DO bite and the bite can be painful and can cause a bad reaction. They all look similar and are big and leggy and run fast.
    A "nest" of them is just a web, with 1 spider in it although there could be baby spiders but they will be too small to bite.
    The daddylonglegs one is Pholcus phalangiodes (the "daddylonglegs spider") and they do not bite, I think (hope).

Des

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Elain22

Hey guys
    I was reading your thread and was wondering if u can look at this picture I took of a spider I caught tonight in my living room. The coin in the cup is the same size as a one euro coin. Because of the size of it and the markings on his back, i decided not to let it go. It looks similar to the info u put up about hobo spiders, looks like the male one. Do u think it is? If it is, what do I do with it? I really don't have the stomach to kill a spider. Is there an organisation that might study these or anything like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Elain22

Elain22 wrote: »
    Hey guys
    I was reading your thread and was wondering if u can look at this picture I took of a spider I caught tonight in my living room. The coin in the cup is the same size as a one euro coin. Because of the size of it and the markings on his back, i decided not to let it go. It looks similar to the info u put up about hobo spiders, looks like the male one. Do u think it is? If it is, what do I do with it? I really don't have the stomach to kill a spider. Is there an organisation that might study these or anything like that?

Its ok, I've had it verified that this is just a common house spider that comes indoors in August to find a mate. I bloody hope is mate is not in my house!!!

Its ok, I've had it verified that this is just a common house spider that comes indoors in August to find a mate. I bloody hope is mate is not in my house!!!

Yes; it is a male house spider (Tegenaria species).
    They can bite but rarely do; just put it out in the garden?

Des

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

I was bit by a spider before, I was carrying it out of the house and it was running over my hand, next thing I noticed it had stopped moving and then felt a sharp pinching pain, I shook my hand and the spider fell off and instantly I noticed a yellow circle appearing at the bite mark.

That said It didn't bother me, I thought it was pretty cool and I still carry spiders out of the house to save them being eaten/attacked by one of the cats I was very surprised though, I never knew they could bite humans.

I used to collect spiders when I was a kid but I still do not have the nerve to pick up the big ones with my bare hand. I always use a glass and piece of paper. Fair play to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Hey guys

Had one of these lads in the house last week. Even though I'm not scared of spiders, seeing one of theses fellas running across your living room floor gives you a bit of a jump. He was caught and removed without harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Pretty sure you can find Steotoda Grossa and Steotoda Nobilis (false Widows) in Ireland and they can bite. Someone I know found one in their kitchen not long ago.

http://www.gardenofireland.com/workbook/?p=536

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Noopti wrote: »
    Pretty sure you can find Steotoda Grossa and Steotoda Nobilis (false Widows) in Ireland and they can bite. Someone I know found one in their kitchen not long ago.

http://www.gardenofireland.com/workbook/?p=536

I am pretty certain I have at least three false widows in a manhole outside, suppose I should get rid of them!

I have over the years had some quite nasty bites from various spiders (UK & Ireland) big swellings at least 6-8" across never bothered with the doctor though just put antihistamine cream in and went after a few weeks, bloody uncomfortable though and aches for ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

monkeynuz wrote: »
    I am pretty certain I have at least three false widows in a manhole outside, suppose I should get rid of them!

I have over the years had some quite nasty bites from various spiders (UK & Ireland) big swellings at least 6-8" across never bothered with the doctor though just put antihistamine cream in and went after a few weeks, bloody uncomfortable though and aches for ages.

Don't kill them, they aren't doing any actual harm. :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

didn't want to start a new thread, but just curious about a very industrious spider at one of my windows (outside). It started off quite small but is very successful at catching flies, daddy long legs etc and is now grown quite fat. Do they hibernate for the winter or will it stay put wherever it can?
    My windows really need cleaning but I hate to move it:rolleyes:

angeldaisy wrote: »
    didn't want to start a new thread, but just curious about a very industrious spider at one of my windows (outside). It started off quite small but is very successful at catching flies, daddy long legs etc and is now grown quite fat. Do they hibernate for the winter or will it stay put wherever it can?
    My windows really need cleaning but I hate to move it:rolleyes:

The biggest spiders in Ireland live for a few years. I am not sure what the best thing to do is. If it is indoors, then I tend to leave them but periodically, they have to be cleaned away or it just accumulates a mess. They will rebuild if you clean away the web, as lomng as you do not clear them away as well. Unfortunately, they do ten dto multiply and you can end up wioth them on all the windows. If it is outdoors, it is easier to leave them alone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ Arielle Ancient Wood

I find when I wash the widows they just retreat to a crevice for safety and reappear unharmed later.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Rosier

THANK YOU for not posting actual images... THANK YOU!

I had this conversation with a relative over from Canada who was terrified of spiders. "ALL spiders bite" she averred and showed the scars from spider bites.

They terrify me, and I just moved to a new county where they have HUGE spiders.. no idea what brand but they are huge and thick legs. I am alone so have to deal with them and as they don't pay rent...

Glad some have taken this topic seriously and of course it makes sense that foreign species are coming into Ireland.

Now I am ...jumpy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ Arielle Ancient Wood

Of course all spiders bite. They could not kill their prey otherwise. Thankfully very few in Ireland have a bite strong enough to puncture human skin. Canada may be another matter but then again we're not in Canada. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭Kersh

Friend just posted these 2 pics to my Facebook. She said it is huge, and reckons its a False Widow.

What you guys reckon?

FalseWidow_zps0fce84a2.jpg

FalseWidow2_zps6470dc9c.jpg

Thanks,

Advertisement