Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where would be the best place to go in a zombie apocalypse??

• 29-04-2012 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Me and a friend are having a theoretical discussion about where the best place to survive in a zombie apocalypse would be. What do you think would be a better place to go if a zombie apocalypse came about, i am saying a boat or traveling to a rural location in a bus, He is saying take over the top floor of the elysian in cork city (a skyscraper) which would involve the use of an ab-sail system and traveling up and down the building on a daily basis.

What would you do in a zombie apocalypse?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Both excellent ideas imo.

Traveling by bus would be dodgy though, there could be people on that bus who have been infected. Groups to me are generally good when they are small and terrible when they are large. On a public bus, you would largely traveling with unknown people. Possibility of infection is larger, and also the possibilities of other things like being mugged, bullied or coerced into doing something you know is a terrible idea.

Rural areas themselves would be fiercely guarded by survivors, you may get in as a small group but the more people that are holed up, the greater the chance of Zeds following you or flatout refusal or aggression by the locals.

The skyscraper idea is brilliant except for the danger of being spotted/smelled/heard abseiling up and down. The first time this happens, it will draw a crowd and they wont leave until they've eaten. Short-term it's brilliant. Long-term, it's a skyhigh deathtrap with very limited resources.

Both are Great ideas though :) some seriously hard effort would be involved to make them work though.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

The skyscrapper idea has a number of problems. First of all there's the inherent danger in abseiling on a daily basis, your more than likely going to be stuck with the same gear wearing down. I know they make them to last but I wouldn't want to depend on it.

A building like that needs the modern world feeding it too, without power and water all it will be is a safe house that you'll have to leave on a regular basis for supplies and even water, hauling water up ropes won't be easy. Once the windows go on the building you'll be spending a lot of time and resources plugging the holes which will be vital on a tall building exposed to the wind.

Moving to the country side will be like moving back into your natural environment, it's not an easy lifestyle but people have survived off the land for as long as people have been around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

A boat would be a nice backup but not something id like to rely on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Zomg Okay

The problem, I think, with holing up in rural areas is that everyone will try to do it. And the people there already will defend it to the death - because the alternative is to die anyway. The only way you'll get onto a farm is if:

A.) You're already on one.
    B.) The person who owns the farm is a close friend or relative.
    C.) You're prepared to kill the people already there.
    D.) Someone in the farmer's group shoots your son in a hunting accident. :p

Everyone is going to flock to the countryside and it'll likely be more violent out there than in city areas. I wouldn't go near a skyscraper as it would end up being a very tall tomb. I do, however, think I would prefer to take my chances in a more urban environment. Maybe not a full blown city but certainly a medium or large town.

A boat could work if it was near enough the shore for you to go gather supplies when needed, weren't worried about the possibility of pirates and you didn't mind living off fish. A rural area or skyscraper, to be blunt, will not work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

this debate has gone on here for a while, with no concrete conclusion.

I think the answer is a varity of the above

(1) Initial Outbreak - Stay at home
    Barracade yourself inside and stay there until the fighting in the streets is over. This could be a few days or a week or two. Easy enough to survive in your own house / appartment / etc for this time with a small bit of pre-planning

(2) Medium Term - get to a highrise
    For the next year or so, you need a fortress. Get into a big building (skyscraper or hotel). First you need to check & clear it for Zed's. Then barracade the ground floor (easy to do, as most big buildings only have a couple of stairs to the upper floors & a lift). But pick a building in your town. Do not travel to find a new place. You want to be able to commute easily & quickly from your home to this building hile you set it up, clear it of Zeds etc. For the remainder of the year, you will need to gather food, supplies etc and the best place to do this is on your own turf.

(3) The Countryside - live long & prosper
    The ultimate aim is to head to the countryside and live off the land. This is the only long term plan that will work (imho). Again, commuting from your base (in step 2) to the eventual 'farm' of step 3 will take quite a few journeys to and fro to set things up and gather resources / build defences / plant seeds / etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭Old Tom

I'd most likely head to Dublin Harbour and got onto one of the countless boats there. I'd initially sail to Ireland's Eye to get myself together, plan and at the same time keep an eye (an ear - radio) on the situation in Dublin.

If the things got very bad (as they usually do), the next step would be to sail down to the Wicklow mountains and get as high up as possible. Secure a temporary shelter, water supply and all that....

In more permanent solution I'd be looking for a bigger boat to stay away from the land, make it my safe house, get fish and other seafood, etc.

This is realistic. Not realistic - obviously, a nearest oil rig, fully supplied, water desalination system, solar panels to provide energy 24h/day and stuff :cool:

Ireland's Eye... if ye dont mind being divebombed by insane seagulls it's a good place for grass and seagull eggs, but not much else. The martello tower that's there is sealed off, ye'd need some heavy equipment to break it open for any kind of shelter, that or a good shovel and dig yourself a makeshift shelter, though i'd hazzard a guess that the ground out tehre is mostly rock and very little dirt considering there are no trees on the island. It's pretty barren out there man.. and did i mention the crazy gulls? MAD, insane stuka pilots reincarnated as seagulls! :D

Lambay might be a better option, it's just north of the Eye :)

Well, just temporarily I meant. Like a day or max two. To stop shaking from adrenaline, quiet down thoughts and make a plan that would be not a reflection of a panic.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,323 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

We all know that when the day comes we'll sit in the corner of our rooms crying our eyes out:pac:

Blay wrote: »
    We all

I have a pair of balls... Just saying :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Old Tom wrote: »

And if they are weeping your first port of call should be an STD clinic :D

Mornin Tom!

Mornin Tom!
    Mornin'...
    I knew holidays in Ireland will be a bad idea. Pissing rain without a break. I'm soo annoyed. Back to work tomorrow. FFFUUUUUUU!!!!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,323 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Old Tom wrote: »

The zombie won't get much of a meal from them:pac:

Blay wrote: »
    The zombie won't get much of a meal from them:pac:
    Correct, because they wont get them at all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

Take over a grocery wholesaler the likes of musgraves, mangans etc at the earliest possible opportunity. Barricade. Wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 nujeebaby

Id get myself to Waterford Castle, it's an island not too far from the city and you gotta take a ferry to get there. It has a golf course that could easily be turned into farmable land as well as a castle to hold up in and a few houses for when more people need shelter.
    One of the biggest problems that would need to be addressed is getting yourself a decent amount of guns and ammo,

BigDuffman wrote: »
    Take over a grocery wholesaler the likes of musgraves, mangans etc at the earliest possible opportunity. Barricade. Wait.

Bacardi Barricade! Oh yea!
    nujeebaby wrote: »
    Id get myself to Waterford Castle, it's an island not too far from the city and you gotta take a ferry to get there. It has a golf course that could easily be turned into farmable land as well as a castle to hold up in and a few houses for when more people need shelter.
    One of the biggest problems that would need to be addressed is getting yourself a decent amount of guns and ammo,

That sounds perfect!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Zomg Okay

nujeebaby wrote: »

This is Ireland, so don't get your hopes up on that front. Only way that'll happen is if you find a group of undead Defence Forces lads who didn't use much of their rounds or if you can successfully get into a military base that will most likely already be a survivor's den/picked clean.

Even if you did get a worthwhile amount of firearms and ammo, you'd have to know how to operate and maintain those guns. If you manage to find a gun, by all means take it, but you'll want to get used to the fact that you'll be getting most of the dirty business done with a hurley, not a Benelli.

Zomg Okay wrote: »
    you'll want to get used to the fact that you'll be getting most of the dirty business done with a hurley

Just got a mental image of people defending themselves with hurleys :)
    Well it would be nice to have a gun or 2 just incase.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

A more optimistic outlook on the weapons front wouldnot be unwarranted.

During the 90's there was a fella called De'Chastalaine he made a huge list of where 'all' the weapons were hidden in this country, if you take it as a conservative estimate that he may have seen half of them that's still a lot of firepower squirreled away

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Been thinking about this lately. Was in Bunratty castle with the kids and thought it would be perfect (for a large group) to defend against zombies.
    All the castles around Ireland could do the job fairly well long term as well. Some are small enough and more suited to smaller groups.
    Dun Aengus on the aran islands could do, if you had a boat. Double safety! Sure the thing is made for the job!:D
    DunAengus.jpg

Having said that, a lot of other people would be thinking the same thing. So it would be first come first served!

Id say safety wise getting to these places would be quiet hard between getting petrol and food to get you there. Who's to say the people there will help you, trust you or just shoot you?
    You'll need something or a skillset such as being a nurse/doctor to be valuable to them

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Thrace

Its worth while to scout out secure buildings or islands and make a map. Places without water are just high visibility prison cells unless you have your own army. Its possible the real army will have eyeballed those anyway so think abandoned, out of the way.

If you had a trusted friend who had a big boat/trawler it would be the safest temporary dwelling possible as long as you had enough supplies/equipment. I say trusted because as supplies dwindle..well..I'd like to be able to sleep with both eyes shut..:cool:

Theres also a third alternative imo - underground. There are tunnels under many towns and cities and abandoned mines are plentiful. Few know about town tunnels as most are sealed up and I've never found out their purpose. Dry as a bone though with cans from the 40's.

Invisibility or just simply not being around populated areas will be the key to survival.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Leftyjrjr085

It depends if were talkin' slow Zombies like Resident Evil or Fast Zombies like 28 days later. For me I just go anyplace where there's no meat. I think some Zombies can smell meat. (Depending on what were talkin about) Also first post on Boards :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

I dont know were on earth I would go, I always think to myself get on a boat but realistically I wouldnt know what I was doing, prob get eaten while trying to start the damn thing!

Gandalph wrote: »
    I always think to myself get on a boat but realistically I wouldnt know what I was doing, prob get eaten while trying to start the damn thing!

:D

Same as that. Rubber water wings for us so.

I wish I had a boat now, I'd be in Barbados. This cold weather is crap.

Realistically I'd love to stay in my house if anything happened. I've plenty of wire mesh to cover the windows n doors. Unfortunately 50c worth of petrol would put an end to that plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

http://www.claregalwaycastle.com/

Claregalway castle is almost coming to completion, maybe. It's got a river beside it, high walls on the road side and a great view. Should be ideal.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Bere Island. Would probably become some sort of settlement due to size with plenty of shelter and land/water to work off.
    http://www.abandonedireland.com/bf.html

Yakult wrote: »
    Bere Island. Would probably become some sort of settlement due to size with plenty of shelter and land/water to work off.
    http://www.abandonedireland.com/bf.html

Some site :eek: Wish I had a full map of abandoned places in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Thrace wrote: »
    Some site :eek: Wish I had a full map of abandoned places in Ireland.

That website is as good as it gets, have spent hours on it and checking out a few places.

Advertisement