Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pull up/Chin ups Challenge 2012?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭ferike1

Yeah, I train in Raw and do almost exclusively bodyweight stuff. Just started doing Wendler's 5/3/1 programme.
    I tried doing ring muscle ups but screwed up my elbows so I am sticking to the bar until I get my shoulders and forearms stronger. Gonna do a lot more dip work on the rings and bar both weighted and unweighted.
    I can't do them really slow like in the vid, I do need a bit of momentum. Just purchased an MiR vest to more comfortably do weighted pullup work.

On the bartendaz stuff, I am not implying by any means I am at that level, just that they are big inspiration for my style of training.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Michael 09

Just did a max test on bodyweight (71kg) + 20kg plate and I got 8 reps. Hope to have this in the 10-12 range within a couple of weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Michael 09 wrote: »
    Just did a max test on bodyweight (71kg) + 20kg plate and I got 8 reps. Hope to have this in the 10-12 range within a couple of weeks.

not bad to start off with!

I must weigh myself. First time in 2 years!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

people doing weighted chins, when did you start adding weight ???

i can do 5 sets of 10 chins ok, then next few sets are down to 6/7/8 rep range, down to 4 or 5 reps by 10th set.

might try for 4x10 weighted with maybe 15kgs within a month... ??

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Turbo_diesel

people doing weighted chins, when did you start adding weight ???

i can do 5 sets of 10 chins ok, then next few sets are down to 6/7/8 rep range, down to 4 or 5 reps by 10th set.

might try for 4x10 weighted with maybe 15kgs within a month... ??

Personally if I'm doing weighted chins or Pull-up's I would probably keep the sets & reps between 1-5 or you will smoke yourself fairly quickly. If I'm doing higher reps it will be at bodyweight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭ray jay

Wersal I'm pretty much the same, I could manage 5 sets of 10 chins (GVT style) then used assistance for the last few sets rather than drop the reps.

On my old program I started adding weight around when I could manage at least 3 sets of 10 reps. I'd say if you started with +5kg you wouldn't have any trouble finishing 4x10, and you can add more weight when you feel like it. I'd say 10-15kg is doable by the end of next month alright, especially if you're allowing longer rest than GVT prescribes.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Michael 09

I started adding weight because I was doing 15 reps for 4 sets. I also did a session of 10 x 10 so I need the extra weight

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭PauloConn

Its worse than i thought, first time on the bar in ages, rep'd out 5 bw (86kg), 4 bw then 4 assisted. Arms are like wet noodles after that (and the other UB training). But still....
    Need to get the finger out and own that bar!!!

Tested my 1rep max weighted chin-up earlier & got 26.5kg. So hoping to get that to at least 30kg or better.
    @daveyc21 if your aiming for a better 1rep max weighted chin up would you just lower the weight & build up the weight & reps slowly? Is doing weighted chins once a week enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭daveyc21

Tested my 1rep max weighted chin-up earlier & got 26.5kg. So hoping to get that to at least 30kg or better.
    @daveyc21 if your aiming for a better 1rep max weighted chin up would you just lower the weight & build up the weight & reps slowly? Is doing weighted chins once a week enough?

This might not be practical but lets just say weighted pull up was your primary goal:

The condensed version -

Day 1:

You would look at some variation of the weighted pull (weighted pull up is a good one to start on!) Work different width grips / overhand underhand etc. aim for between 1-3 reps and ensure you hit your absolute max every time.

I would then use another form of rowing movement as your main assistance work. e.g. inverted rows. On assistance work aim for 4-8 reps.

What is also a good idea is to work your single arm pull some good progressions online for this.

Concentrate on the weakest part of your pull up and select exercises based on this.

Day 2:

Work on your pull up speed. The more explosive you are the more weight you will move (same as above with 50%)

Day 3:

Repetition type work. Up the volume to essentially increase the size of your pulling muscles more size = more muscle fibres to recruit.

General stuff. Get lighter this always helps.

• Advertisement

Cheers Dave.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

Did 4 x5 @ a cuddly 93kg, then 3,1,1. Clearly this has nothing to do with lazyness or my love of jaffacakes and bourneville bars, its obviously my genes.

Yea, thats it, iv reached the ceiling of my my genetic potential ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭PauloConn

mushykeogh wrote: »
    Did 4 x5 @ a cuddly 93kg, then 3,1,1.

Still so jealous......
    No bar this morning, all spin and abs, tackle it again on Monday, after stag weekend, if there's anything left of me:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

I weigh 84kg, yesterday I did

6 with 10kg
    3 with 20kg (heaviest I've ever done I think)
    4 with 15kg
    8 bodyweight

Is it worth my while doing 3 reps of 20kg etc? I guess I can try and get 4 out next week. I think I can do about 15 x bodyweight.

I hang all the way down with a wide enough grip but only touch the bar with my chin, some people pull all the way up so their chest hits the bar - which is the correct way?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I found doing weighted negatives helped my regular weighted ones a lot. It gets you used to how the weight acts on your body.
    BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    which is the correct way?
    I don't think you can really say which is correct, depends on your goals.

On a bodyweight forum I saw lots of people trying to get chinups to a level where they can pass fitness tests for military or being a fireman. These tests often have rules, it would usually be chin to the bar -so it would be foolish to go to a chinup contest and start doing chest to the bar ones, and unnecessarily tire yourself out and lower your reps.

But if you are training for strength you might want chest to the bar, it is an easy way to increase difficulty and could lower your reps into a range you prefer. Conversely if you can only manage 2 chest to the bar chins you are probably better sticking to chin to the bar for now.

You can see some rules & records here
    http://www.recordholders.org/en/list/chinups.html

they have separate ones for chins, pullups, 'leg assisted pullups'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Thud

rubadub wrote: »
    You can see some rules & records here
    http://www.recordholders.org/en/list/chinups.html

they have separate ones for chins, pullups, 'leg assisted pullups'

Stephen Hyland must love doing chin ups

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭ray jay

Today I did

chin up single bodyweight+50kg
    wide grip pull ups 3x5 bodyweight+29kg, 18 bodyweight

For the next month I won't be doing strength work so I'm interested in seeing if I lose much chin/pull up ability.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

I'd have to check my log, but I think a 50kg x3 chin up is my best at mid 90s.

Have done 20kg 5x5 recently after not doing them for a long time. Planning on including them at every session now for the foreseeable future as I'm trying to get my gunzz up, so I'll at least record my progress with updates from time to time here.

EDIT: Yup 40kg x5 and 50kg x3 around this time last year when I was training them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭ferike1

Tried turning out the rings today doing a static hold. Damn, its tough.

50kg weighted chin-up! Some way to go so.... Apparently your 1rep max chin-up should equal your 1rep max bench? The chin-up is the combination of bodyweight plus the weight on the dip belt. Anybody agree with this statement?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

50kg weighted chin-up! Some way to go so.... Apparently your 1rep max chin-up should equal your 1rep max bench? The chin-up is the combination of bodyweight plus the weight on the dip belt. Anybody agree with this statement?

I wish my max bench was that high!!

Ive done BW @ 100kg + 27.5kg x 1.
    And 25 BW pull ups @ 100 with a fair but of Kipping but they weren't quite full crossfit Kipping ones either.

Doing a few chins/pull ups every week.

Need to concentrate on chins for a while as they are well behind the pull ups

I wish my max bench was that high!!

So do I!! It has to be all down to my sh1t technique :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

ferike1 wrote: »
    Tried turning out the rings today doing a static hold. Damn, its tough.

You'll learn it quick - its just got its such a weird position to stablise in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

that means i should be benching 97kg.
    and that, sadly, is not even in the foreseeable future. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

5 X 5 @93kg this morning, just finished last bar of bournville there with a double espresso. Will try the same again next monday, hopefully @91 kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

No. For two reasons.

1) Because bodyweight bench, while not being a massive achievement in the long term, is a lot harder to achieve than one chin.

2) Because rules like that are arbitrary and silly, imo.
    I know a guy who can do a +60kg Chin @100kg and cant bench 160. But I am not about to suggest that there is something wrong with his numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭TheZ

d'Oracle wrote: »
    No. For two reasons.

1) Because bodyweight bench, while not being a massive achievement in the long term, is a lot harder to achieve than one chin.

2) Because rules like that are arbitrary and silly, imo.
    I know a guy who can do a +60kg Chin @100kg and cant bench 160. But I am not about to suggest that there is something wrong with his numbers.

I think a chin up gives you a lever with your forearm against the elbow
    so you can go heavier
    bench being close to max for a weighted pull up is more realistic i would say

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I have seen on several sites
    Bench 1.5x your body weight. Squat 2x your body weight. Deadlift 2.5x
    as being good goals.

I have done a chin with 50% of my BW before. No way I could do it now since I am fatter so not only is a chin harder my 50% has gone up. No way I could bench 1.5x, esp. as I don't bench!

d'Oracle wrote: »
    No. For two reasons.

Would have to agree with you on this at least from the point of view that I have always found benching more difficult than weighted chins. Originally seen the statement on a article on T-nation about strength standards. Came from Dan John/Mike Boyle. It also mentions your Bench Press max should equal your Front squat max & power clean max.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/5_great_lessons

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Would have to agree with you on this at least from the point of view that I have always found benching more difficult than weighted chins. Originally seen the statement on a article on T-nation about strength standards. Came from Dan John/Mike Boyle. It also mentions your Bench Press max should equal your Front squat max & power clean max.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/5_great_lessons

I try pretty damn hard at power cleans and can't clean my bench. I'm probably atypical. Like a lone wolf, an outsider bound to live on the outskirts of standards.....

If you can't front squat?
    I feel all self conscious now. Damn popular kids with their front squats. I can think of 4 guys off hand who don't fit that off the top of my head. At very different training levels.

Thing with standards and what Mike Boyles out put in general is they aren't the same thing.
    Dan John is setting a standard there. He expects those ratios.
    Its like a tool to assess where the guy is weak.

Boyle actually says "you can you just aren't trying hard enough". I'm assuming he means that you need to put more work into training your power clean if your Front squat and bench are x but your Clean is x-y.

This is grand, but Dan Johns athletes probably do a fair bit of Front Squatting, Benching and Cleans. He talks about these lifts a lot.

But if we take these things to heart we now have Bench = Chinup = Front Squat = Power Clean.
    Screw that, its way too tight.
    If you want to make a goal of these equations, its probably a decent goal or at least the John/Boyle thing is. Hell if you put 10kg on those three lifts, you're 10kg stronger in general.

I'm a while off 100kg for 7 on the bench though, so I wont be taking the Bench=Chins one anytime soon.

Advertisement