Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB laser card- can it actually be used online without cvv code

• 12-12-2007 10:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭

There seems to be a lot of confusion about this.
    I've got the AIB laser/ATM card with the maestro logo on it.
    When i ring AIB about it they seem a bit clueless.

OK they say it only works for Irish sites apparently which is fair enough.
    They say putting in 000 for the cvv code might or mightn't work- you just have to chance it.
    So is there anyone here who can say for certain they have bought stuff online with an AIB laser/maestro card.
    If so what sites.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Is there a CVV number on the back of the AIB Laser cards? I'm with BOI and it has one, but any site I've used it on just tell you to leave it blank as Laser cards don't have CVV numbers (even though mine does). CDWow had previously told people to use 999, but leaving it blank now seems to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Pegasus15

As far as I know, these cards won't work on websites that take English Maestro as they differ from the Irish version. I am totally open to correction here, and would love to learn that Play, Amazon, etc. accept them.

Jor, does your BoI debit card work with Play, Amazon, etc.?

Only ever used it on CDwow.ie. Did use it to buy credit on allofmp3.com once and it worked. I think I used the CVV number on the card that time and I selected Maestro as the payment card.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭prodigal_son

I got a laser card today in the post from AIB, It seems to have a cvv number on the back..

Is it a cvv number and does it mean it can be used in more shops online? anyone know if they have started adding cvv numbers to them?

I dont know when i will try it out myself :p

I got mine a few weeks ago from them with no CV2 number.

It's the number that is printed on the back above where you sign your card.

• Advertisement

Yeah, i got mine today, and it has a number just beside/above where you sign your name on the back..

Its 4 digits a space and then 3 digits, i assumed the last 3 were the cvv..

I got mine today, didnt ask for it or anything, they just sent it to me.. phoned them up and they said they were phasing out normal atm cards? dont really know to be honest.

Yup, that's a CV2. If you're ordering on Play or Amazon, please let us know how it works out.

And yes, they want to try and get rid of the old ATM cards and replace them with Lasers so that there will be less and less cash transactions. Welcome to the future, I guess...

Is it a cvv number and does it mean it can be used in more shops online? anyone know if they have started adding cvv numbers to them?

You have nothing to loose by trying it out. Add something to your cart, go to checkout and try paying with the Laser card. If it fails, then you know it doesn't work. If it goes through, then you have a useful, usable debit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭thesto

i used my laser/maestro card to buy an ipod nano today of apple.ie

when it came to the cvv part i keyed in 111 (as that is the number i use when booking cinema tickets online)

the transaction seemed to go ok, i got an order confirmation number, but two hourss after the money had still not been taken out of my account. i rang apple and they confirmed the order was ok and would be shipping tomorrow.

at this time (well over 5hrs now) the money is still in my account

think i just got a free ipod?

thesto wrote: »

Doubtful. Laser transactions take anything from 24 to 76 hours to appear in your account. If they processed the order and have confirmed it, then you're definitely paying for it.

• Advertisement

jor el wrote: »
    You have nothing to loose by trying it out. Add something to your cart, go to checkout and try paying with the Laser card. If it fails, then you know it doesn't work. If it goes through, then you have a useful, usable debit card.

Yeah, but Play.com mentions being able to cancel order without penalty before they start processing it. What happens if it doesn't go through after they start the processing?

when it came to the cvv part i keyed in 111 (as that is the number i use when booking cinema tickets online)

the transaction seemed to go ok, i got an order confirmation number, but two hourss after the money had still not been taken out of my account. i rang apple and they confirmed the order was ok and would be shipping tomorrow.

The money has probably been taken, but it's true that it won't show up as being taken for a while.

Pegasus15 wrote: »
    Yeah, but Play.com mentions being able to cancel order without penalty before they start processing it. What happens if it doesn't go through after they start the processing?

They won't start processing the order until they've received a payment confirmation by the processing agent.

jor el wrote: »
    They won't start processing the order until they've received a payment confirmation by the processing agent.

Ah, deadly. I'll give it a shot on my Maestro tonight.

Well i went onto play, clicked a few dvds, put my laser card info in, put the cvv number in, clicked through, and it all went through ok..

I got an email saying that..
    This email is only an acknowledgement of receipt of your order which has been passed to our dispatch department to be processed.

Thank you for ordering with www.play.com

Please check the following order information:

So, Im not entirely sure if the order has been paid for, or if dispatch will try and run the details tomorrow..

So i guess i will let you all know tomorrow, but so far so good...

Nope, it doesn't work with play.com
    Dear

Thank you for your recent order with Play.com

We are unable to accept the type of Credit/Debit card you have used for
    payment.

To proceed with your order please use one of our accepted methods of
    payment (Visa, Visa Electron, Delta, Maestro (excluding Laser),
    MasterCard, Switch and Solo).

So the code on the back seems a bit of a waste, Irish sites (well the ones i tried) told me to leave the cvv2 field blank, and foreign sites wont accept the card.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭manicmonoliths

I tried to buy something from Amazon.co.uk today with my AIB Laser card.
    When it came to card type I selected Maestro.
    It asks for an issue number or otherwise a start date. I have neither on the card. The issue number can only be two digits long apparently.

Does anyone know what to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭manicmonoliths

Are Laser and Maestro the same thing? It has both the Laser and Maestro symbols on my card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 633 ✭✭✭IncredibleHulk

Its 4 digits a space and then 3 digits
    Same as mine then

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 36,787 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Does anyone know if laser/maestro work in Scotland? Ta.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭xIsabelx

I just tried ordering stuff from CD WOW and the transaction won't go through because of this stupid CVC number. When I leave the field blank, a message pops up saying "Incorrect CVC number" but when I put 999 111 or 000 in, it comes up saying:

"Your payment could not be completed at this time due to one of the following errors
    - Incorrect card details
    - You exceeded your credit limit
    - Your credit institution is unavailable at this time"

Argggh!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭smiler26

Amazon definitely won't accept any Laser card from ROI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

I've used my laser to pay a bill online and I didn't have to give a cvv number.
    Definetly lacking security.

I can understand why no etailers will accept the card ,if it's that easily used online:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭piskins72

Its def a new thing that AIB have the number on the back of the cards, I have run into problems before abroad with their cards in trying to access ATM's and make purchases abroad, and the ATM's were supposed to accept Mastro & Link cards in the UK and other countries, when we rang the 24 hour number that AIB provide on the back of the card to query it, all they said was"oh the card must be scratched" but it had worked perfectly well in Ireland and still does and there was no problems with the account or that.... hopefully now they will work better abroad since they have added the CCV number on the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 lostcarpark

Older Laser cards are 19 digits with no CVV, some do have the Maestro symbol, but not many retailers outside Ireland seem to know how to deal with them. I did manage to use mine in Belgium once. Even in Ireland people have had trouble with them - for a while the Irish Rail ticket vending machines didn't know how to deal with them. Also, quite a lot of Irish online sellers use foreign card authorisation services, so often can't handle these cards.

Most Irish government sites do accept 19 digit Laser card numbers.

Most banks have been moving to 16 digit card numbers with a CVV number on the back. These should work with any retailer that accepts Maestro, and that should include many online resellers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 beinlin

Does anyone know if laser/maestro work in Scotland? Ta.

I've heard of no problems...ft2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 LinusVanPelt

I think the online sites don't accept them because they don't have an issue number or start date. i've just moved from the UK and that's the only difference between Maestro cards here and there, where they work fine on sites like Play, Amazon etc.

I went into an AIB branch to ask about it today and they said i'd probably not be able to use it online and would have to use a credit card instead... brilliant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

I see you have never bought anything using Laser before. I paid for Diesel on Saturday, and the money is still in my account.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭colly10

testicle wrote: »
    I see you have never bought anything using Laser before. I paid for Diesel on Saturday, and the money is still in my account.

Its in the account if you check your balance but you wouldn't actually be able to take it out. It's seriously annoying (i've been stung more that once with a balance on my account but being refused funds by the atm)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

colly10 wrote: »
    Its in the account if you check your balance but you wouldn't actually be able to take it out. It's seriously annoying (i've been stung more that once with a balance on my account but being refused funds by the atm)

indeed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement