Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Economics Dissertation

• 28-04-2012 2:43pm

Hello there.

I'm doing an economics dissertation which examines the factors that influence international students' choices of study abroad destinations in Ireland.

Can anyone recommend some economic analysis -models, theories, etc. that I could use to help me understand my research question?

I honestly can't think of much. Consumer Behavior is an option -never actually studied that before.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

Will you be doing a regression? Do you have data?

• Hi, sorry I should of gave more information.

Yes I have data, I distributed a survey on to international students.

I won't be doing a regression as I have no dependent variable, the students already made their decision to study at the university and there's no variation in the independent variables?.

I'm basically looking at the factors that the students take into account when considering which Irish university to go to. The survey has been distributed to 5 Irish universities.

I aim to find out whats factors are important for each university......i.e UCC campus location may have been a winner whilst not o at UL.

There will be a lot of cross-tabs, descriptive stats and the like.

I'm a very capable student but I've struggled with the independent learning element of the dissertation until recently when I got a burst of motivation.

Thanks for any help and suggestions!

• Anyone?????

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

Hi, sorry I should of gave more information.

Yes I have data, I distributed a survey on to international students.

I won't be doing a regression as I have no dependent variable, the students already made their decision to study at the university and there's no variation in the independent variables?.

I'm basically looking at the factors that the students take into account when considering which Irish university to go to. The survey has been distributed to 5 Irish universities.

I aim to find out whats factors are important for each university......i.e UCC campus location may have been a winner whilst not o at UL.

There will be a lot of cross-tabs, descriptive stats and the like.

I'm a very capable student but I've struggled with the independent learning element of the dissertation until recently when I got a burst of motivation.

Thanks for any help and suggestions!

The only kind of data I've worked with was related to a regression I ran, so I'm afraid I'm not really sure what you should do as to the data analysis side of things. Also, it's not exactly clear what kind of economic hypothesis you're examining or testing, or at the very least I can't think of anything I've learned in micro that would apply. Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Hello there.

I'm doing an economics dissertation which examines the factors that influence international students' choices of study abroad destinations in Ireland.

Can anyone recommend some economic analysis -models, theories, etc. that I could use to help me understand my research question?

I honestly can't think of much. Consumer Behavior is an option -never actually studied that before.

Is there some kind of explanatory relevance to their choice of destination? Are you interested in accounting for their choice of NUIM vs NUIG etc... Or perhaps, Dublin / Non-Dublin locations? If so, you could compartmentalise their locations into categories and use multinomial logistic?

Might be complicating it a bit if there is little intuitive relevance to location choice however.

• Advertisement
Advertisement