Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus Éireann routes (general)

• 26-04-2011 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,197 ✭✭✭

i want to try to make this a constructive section... (hopefully) and not slagging. basically trying to point out poor route choices

my 2 points,
    dublin-donegal bus(route30), bus aras, airport (no problem here, i know its getting bums on seats) but after... the last day i was on it, it went back to the m50 and then the n2 to ashbourne, rathoath and Navan...(navan is the next stop after the airport) why can't it take the fastest route, m50-m3, it would cut half a hour from journey time over 4hr 20) (this part i feel is easily fixed and cannot understand why they use the current route)

i also cannot understand why the cavan (109) bus cannot pick people up between navan, kells, virginia for the much longer donegal route and allow the donegal bus go direct to cavan (from the airport) on the m3. im sure with a bit of effort it could be timed to get to cavan 15-20mins before the donegal bus, which also takes a break in cavan... thus allowing for delays.

i do also realise that the 30bus is faster than 109 and many people in navan, kells etc try to get the 30 rather than the 109 so the last point is more of a wish. but i do feel it could be done fridays/sundays for the busy weekly commuter buses (as in student, and people who work in dublin, go home weekends)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭Fo Real

Bus Éireann cannot operate on the M3 as they don't have a licence. There are enough private competitors on intercity routes, with superior services, that BÉ isn't needed anymore. There is talk in the news about the selling of state owned companies. BÉ should be the first to go imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,197 ✭✭✭overshoot

was just about to delete this seen as i found a similar one... not sure how so mods feel free to close.
    re fo real: there is no competition on the south donegal/dublin route. mcGeehans offered the only competition and they either joined or were bought by bus eireann

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭candy19

Thanks for bringing up this topic!

I have used this service for the past four years or so mainly on a weekly basis, now I'm glad to say it's more like every six weeks due to the reason OP has brought up!

I as well as many of my friends who would have also travelled as frequently as myself complained on numerous ocassions to Bus Eireann inspectors in both Dublin and in Donegal about the current route.

The motorway opened in June of last year and as of yet they still havn't followed up on the 'authorisation' that they need to use the Motorway!

At the minute, they are timing the new route, which is supposed to operate as normal until you get to Virginia and then onto the motorway, take the slip road into Kells, then back out onto the motorway.

After this, they are planning to go back into Navan to go over Kentstown, to go to Dublin airport.

This is in no way going to shorten the Journey time for passangers! I myself have suggested to the inspectors to pull back the 109A service to Cavan Town as this is what is primarily holding up our journey.

From what I see, if Bus Eireann are willing to pay the toll charges why not make the most of using the motorway.

If the 109 and 109A ran from Cavan Town there would be no reason for the 30 to stop in Cavan except for the 10/15 min break which the driver has to take.

Also, regarding the airport there is no need for the 30 to divert back into Kentstown, there is a road as you come in before Blanchardsown it takes you straight to the airport in ten mins!!

Its about time Bus Eireann got their act together and listened to there customers!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

candy19 wrote: »

I have used this service for the past four years or so mainly on a weekly basis, now I'm glad to say it's more like every six weeks due to the reason OP has brought up!

I as well as many of my friends who would have also travelled as frequently as myself complained on numerous ocassions to Bus Eireann inspectors in both Dublin and in Donegal about the current route.

The motorway opened in June of last year and as of yet they still havn't followed up on the 'authorisation' that they need to use the Motorway!

At the minute, they are timing the new route, which is supposed to operate as normal until you get to Virginia and then onto the motorway, take the slip road into Kells, then back out onto the motorway.

After this, they are planning to go back into Navan to go over Kentstown, to go to Dublin airport.

This is in no way going to shorten the Journey time for passangers! I myself have suggested to the inspectors to pull back the 109A service to Cavan Town as this is what is primarily holding up our journey.

From what I see, if Bus Eireann are willing to pay the toll charges why not make the most of using the motorway.

If the 109 and 109A ran from Cavan Town there would be no reason for the 30 to stop in Cavan except for the 10/15 min break which the driver has to take.

Also, regarding the airport there is no need for the 30 to divert back into Kentstown, there is a road as you come in before Blanchardsown it takes you straight to the airport in ten mins!!

Its about time Bus Eireann got their act together and listened to there customers!!

From Dublin Airport to Navan the current route taken via the N2 and Kentstown is about as quick as any other. M50-N3 (which would be the route I'd take as it would be more comfortable for the passengers and less prone to random delays) may be 5 minutes quicker but that would be about it. Not sure what road from before Blanch you are talking about, presumably around the industrial complexes north of Blanch and straight across Kilshane cross. These are crap roads, full of HGVs and I guarantee you it is quicker to Navan from Kilshane via the N2 than doing this, at least in a bus.

Regarding using the M3 in full I agree with you completely, all the route 30 services should be non-stop from Cavan or Virginia at least. Using the M3 and serving Navan and Kells is pointless, any time saved on the motorway is lost on the longer journey and countless roundabouts used to get in and out of the towns.

To be honest complaining to the inspectors and drivers about all this is pointless, it is the senior management making these decisions and they do not even bother to consult with us lowly drivers before changing theese timetables, nor do they bother to get a bus out and time these routes either which leads to the almost inevitable reality that the new improved timetables are even worse than the old ones with wildly inaccurate running times meaning buses are unable to keep time on some routes and running early meaning sitting around at certain points for no good reason.

If you really want to complain about this don't bother with the ground staff, most of us who still give a damn are as annoyed by the stupid routes and timetables as you are but we have no say in the matter. Go write a letter to the senior management as these are the people responsible for the timetables. I doubt it would do much good TBH as I believe these people are working to an agenda that has little to do with actually providing the best service possible to our customers but it is still more likely to get your opinion to thise who make these decisions than ranting at powerless inspectors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Stonewolf

I got on that bus once, I thought it was the stupidest route possible and was incensed when I got to my destination.

Going in through every 2 bit village on the way, then cutting across to the N2 from Navan and then leaving the N2 to take back roads around the airport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Stonewolf wrote: »
    I got on that bus once, I thought it was the stupidest route possible and was incensed when I got to my destination.

Going in through every 2 bit village on the way, then cutting across to the N2 from Navan and then leaving the N2 to take back roads around the airport.

Before the M3 opened the route took pretty much the quickest most direct route from Dublin Airport at least. It is only with the opening of the M3 there is an opportunity to speed it up by bypassing Navan and Kells.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,539 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

candy19 wrote: »

How do you know that they have not followed it up?

There was (according to the CEO of the NTA) a huge backlog of licence/route applications when they took it over from the Department of Transport who sat on them.

If a private operator has had a licence application approved then there is nothing BE can do about that. That may be the case, and the private operator could be sourcing vehicles/staff etc to operate the service (I don't know), but if it is I am sure that we will find out shortly.

lxflyer wrote: »

If a private operator has had a licence application approved then there is nothing BE can do about that. That may be the case, and the private operator could be sourcing vehicles/staff etc to operate the service (I don't know), but if it is I am sure that we will find out shortly.

the only 'private' operator is mcGeehans who are joined to bus eireann, they run a shortened 30 route on a daily basis between cavan & enniskillen (or something along that line) these buses could be used on the m3 for the full route (at least for a few services) and bus eireann can put their full buses on the shortened route. straight swap and suddenly journey is down by a hour.

someone said about the toll charges it 2e (4e with both toll booths) for a bus, by the time you pay the driver/diesel for running the senic route, its probably cheaper for the m3

overshoot wrote: »
    the only 'private' operator is mcGeehans who are joined to bus eireann, they run a shortened 30 route on a daily basis between cavan & enniskillen (or something along that line) these buses could be used on the m3 for the full route (at least for a few services) and bus eireann can put their full buses on the shortened route. straight swap and suddenly journey is down by a hour.

someone said about the toll charges it 2e (4e with both toll booths) for a bus, by the time you pay the driver/diesel for running the senic route, its probably cheaper for the m3

It's mentioned elsewhere on boards that a different private operator holds a licence to operate along the M3 - who that is but I don't know. They have yet to start operating either way.

there are no doubt operators from cavan etc, but there are none independant of BE from south donegal. unless feda o'donnell is going to expand on his galway route (highly unlikely) or donegal coaches their letterkenny route. There are no other private operators operating a public bus service in south donegal

• Advertisement

overshoot wrote: »
    there are no doubt operators from cavan etc, but there are none independant of BE from south donegal. unless feda o'donnell is going to expand on his galway route (highly unlikely) or donegal coaches their letterkenny route. There are no other private operators operating a public bus service in south donegal

We don't know whether licences have been awarded or not - there may have been licences issued to private operators along the M3 which they have not yet started. If that is the case, then BE are precluded from operating along the M3 irrespective of whether a private firm has started operating yet or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭gazzer

Im still baffled as to how, almost one year after the M3 opened there is still no public transport from Cavan to Dublin using it. It beggars belief.

Last Wednesday morning I left my house in Cavan at 8am and I was on the quays in Dublin City Centre at 9.25am yet to do the same journey by bus takes well over 2 hours due to the bus having to stop in Navan and pass through Clonee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭mgmt

gazzer wrote: »
    Im still baffled as to how, almost one year after the M3 opened there is still no public transport from Cavan to Dublin using it. It beggars belief.

Last Wednesday morning I left my house in Cavan at 8am and I was on the quays in Dublin City Centre at 9.25am yet to do the same journey by bus takes well over 2 hours due to the bus having to stop in Navan and pass through Clonee.

It's focked up alright. Perhaps it might change soon (don't hold your breath):

Bus Éireann
    Further to the above, changes to services on this corridor will be implemented in approx 6 weeks. Full details will be posted on our website nearer that time.

Thanks

about a week ago
    http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=129451437605&topic=14403

That page just about sums up the problems that all operators had with the Department of Transport who just had no concept of how services should be operated.

I do believe that the NTA are taking a far more realistic approach with many contentious routes being approved in recent weeks, so hopefully we will see some results soon on this corridor.

Bus Éireann
    Further to the above, changes to services on this corridor will be implemented in approx 6 weeks. Full details will be posted on our website nearer that time.

Thanks

about a week ago
    http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?ui...05&topic=14403

Interesting. Lets hope that the changes are good ones.

http://www.buseireann.ie/inner.php?id=145

Table 30, Dublin - Airport - Cavan - Enniskillen - Donegal Town - West Donegal and return

A new Expressway Route 30, Donegal – Dublin service will commence on Sunday 29th of May.
    This service will now avail of the M3 motorway between Virginia and Dublin Airport and by doing so reduce the overall journey time by 45 minutes.
    The journey time between Donegal Town and Dublin Airport will now be just over 3 hours.There will be nine daily services from Donegal and nine daily services from Dublin City and Dublin Airport.
    Please click here to download a copy of the amended Table 30, Dublin - Airport - Cavan - Enniskillen - Donegal Town - West Donegal and return

hurray it may finally be tolerable!!!

Great news. Lets hope the 109 starts using the motorway also soon as it is not always possible to get the 30 bus to Virginia if it is full leaving Busarus with people going to Donegal as I found out to my cost last Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Subpopulus

What? The Donegal bus isn't going into Navan ever again?

*begins to cry tears of joy*

Great news. Lets hope the 109 starts using the motorway also soon as it is not always possible to get the 30 bus to Virginia if it is full leaving Busarus with people going to Donegal as I found out to my cost last Wednesday.

Your prayers are being answered....
    Table 109, Dublin - Dunshaughlin - Navan - Kells - Virginia - Cavan town and return

Bus Éireann wishes to advise customers that from Sunday, 29th May 2011, several services at commuter hours will operate to/from Wilton Terrace. Some services will now also operate via Dublin Airport.

There will be an increased volume of services to Cavan and Virginia, by-passing Dunshaughlin and Navan Monday to Friday, giving a quicker journey home.
    Table 109, Dublin - Dunshaughlin - Navan - Kells - Virginia - Cavan town and return is available to download

• Advertisement

Two other changes to the Expressway Network of note that are taking place in the coming weeks are:
    Table 1, Dublin - Airport - Drogheda - Dundalk - Newry - Belfast and return

Bus Eireann is pleased to announce that from Sunday 29th of May, new timetables will operate on the Dublin City/Dublin Airport/Belfast corridor.

Route 1/200 (operated in conjunction with Translink) will operate exclusively on the Motorway between Dublin Airport and Newry and a new nonstop Dublin Airport to Belfast service labelled X2 will offer customers a non –stop option.

Table 1, Dublin - Airport - Drogheda - Dundalk - Newry - Belfast and return is available to download.

Table 4, Dublin - Carlow - Waterford - Dungarvan - West Waterford and return

Bus Éireann wishes to advise customers that from Sunday 29th, an improved daily service will commence operation, with most services operating to/from Dublin Airport.

Services will by-pass Naas, Kilcullen and Castledermot, thus giving a shorter overall journey time

Table 4, Dublin - Carlow - Waterford - Dungarvan - West Waterford and return is available to download.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

I sometimes wonder if Bus Éireann's growing obsession with Airport services is worth it. Okay it makes sense in the case of the Belfast route as it is more or less on the route, but the need to send Waterford services there is questionable. The Rosslare bus has being going there for over two years now, yet from what I've seen only carries a handful beyond Busáras, yet it's not uncommon for services to be delayed coming in from the Airport. The old system of having through tickets valid on the 747 with a change at Busáras would make more sense in my opinion, but I suppose it looks less flashy from a marketing point of view. But one might well ask is the extension to the Airport more viable (in terms of fuel etc) than simply terminating the bus at Busáras and transferring passengers to the 747.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Great improvement in the Carlow service! Well done bus Eireann. It actually looks like they are filling the gaps in the jj kavanaghs timetable giving an almost hourly Waterford-airport service!

Your prayers are being answered....

Just checked the new timetable. BE have ballsed up again. There is a massive 10 minutes been saved travelling from Dublin to Virginia because now the 109 is going to go to the airport. WTF. Here was a chance for BE to put on a non stop service from Dublin to Virginia but they decide to add stops instead :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Stonewolf

If only there were some fast, frequent and convenient way of getting from town to the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭irish_man

I totally agree with the OP.

The 30 service is a disgrace. I can't stand Bus Éireann. I always try to get the 1 o'clock dungloe bus on a Friday which takes the M3 and is at least an hour quicker. Its a mcgeehans bus. They run in affiliation with bus eireann. Its funny because we always pass out the 12:30 cavan bus. Bit stupid getting that bus when you can get a bus half an hour later and still get there 20-30 min earlier that the 12:30 bus. How crazy is that?

I was thinking with my mates that it would be ideal for a private operator. If they went up sunday and came back friday or something like that.

Another thing that really annoys me is that at 3.30 there is a bus to cavan. There is also a bus to Kells at that exact same time yet the cavan bus still goes through dunshauglin, navan and kells!! That is such a pain. Takes around 2.5 hours or even more.

I'd happily pay more for a better service. Either that or i'm getting a car!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

irish_man wrote: »
    Another thing that really annoys me is that at 3.30 there is a bus to cavan. There is also a bus to Kells at that exact same time yet the cavan bus still goes through dunshauglin, navan and kells!! That is such a pain. Takes around 2.5 hours or even more.

I'd happily pay more for a better service. Either that or i'm getting a car!
    errrrrr
    did you not also read the changes to the rejiged 109?

NO MORE Cavan busses through Dunshaughlin or Navan except at the weekends!
    Everything via the Motorway and Airport now

Its not much quicker than the old road on a good day, but if its a consistent reliable 2 hours journey time then it is an immense improvement over the reality of a near 3 hour crawl at peak times through towns.

Just checked the new timetable. BE have ballsed up again. There is a massive 10 minutes been saved travelling from Dublin to Virginia because now the 109 is going to go to the airport. WTF. Here was a chance for BE to put on a non stop service from Dublin to Virginia but they decide to add stops instead :rolleyes:

that is just retarded that both the donegal and cavan buses will go there. i cant see why the cavan bus couldnt do the run and time it that any for donegal switches in cavan or the donegal bus continues to carry people for cavan from the airport.
    the run is annoying adding 40mins to the time, but it probably is the biggest get on/off point for passengers outside of bus aras

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭candy19

Okay, So one year on we are on the motorway after BE more than likely losing 40% of their customers.

They still havn't resolved one big problem for people travelling to West Donegal: If you get the new service @ 1pm anyday of the week, you should be in Donegal Town @ around 4.35pm. The next bus to West Donegal isn't until 5.30pm! I think this defects the purpose of using the motorway having to sit in Donegal Town for an hour. It's the same story for the 5pm bus on a Thur and Fri night!!

Suppose everything can't go our way!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭irish_man

errrrrr
    did you not also read the changes to the rejiged 109?

NO MORE Cavan busses through Dunshaughlin or Navan except at the weekends!
    Everything via the Motorway and Airport now

Its not much quicker than the old road on a good day, but if its a consistent reliable 2 hours journey time then it is an immense improvement over the reality of a near 3 hour crawl at peak times through towns.

whoops only seeing that now.....

I'm guessing the 109 will take the port tunnel to the airport?
    Can anyone confirm this?

Advertisement