Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden County Trophy

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 BGPKAV

Saturday's match between South County and Killerig has been postponed until 3 March

thats off

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Redzah

Good win for Druids Heath yesterday against Kilcoole. 3.5 (1.5 away) to 2.5 giving a bit of confidence going into the Barton. Will take a few years to develop the team but looking forward to causing an upset or two.

Group 1
    Kilcoole pld 4 - pts 15 - away wins 6
    Woodenbridge pld 4 - pts 12 - away wins 4
    Wicklow pld 3 - pts 9.5 - away wins 3.5
    Arklow pld 3 - pts 9 - away wins 3
    Druids Heath pld 4 - pts 8.5 - away wins 3.5

Only a 6-0 for Wicklow against Arklow will do it for them, or a 6-0 for Arklow will tie them with Kilcoole on points and away wins. What happens then?

Group 2
    Tulfarris pld 3 - pts 12 - away wins 3
    B Lakes pld 3 - pts 10.5 - away wins 3.5
    South County pld 3 - pts 7.5 - away wins 1
    Killerig pld 2 - pts 3 - away wins 0
    Coollatin pld 1 - pts 3 - aways wins 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Mr. Larson

Well done - that's got to be classified as an 'upset' based on previous matches. Were you playing? Seems like Kilcoole (15pts) can only be overtaken by Woodenbridge. Wicklow & Arklow face each other on Saturday and I imagine that's going to be a pretty even contest so unlikely that either side is going to overtake Kilcoole - Wicklow will need to whitewash Arklow which isn't likely. Anyone know who Woodenbridge have up next and when?

Well done - that's got to be classified as an 'upset' based on previous matches. Were you playing? Seems like Kilcoole (15pts) can only be overtaken by Woodenbridge. Wicklow & Arklow face each other on Saturday and I imagine that's going to be a pretty even contest so unlikely that either side is going to overtake Kilcoole - Wicklow will need to whitewash Arklow which isn't likely. Anyone know who Woodenbridge have up next and when?

Ya def an upset but first time we had one of our strongest teams out. Before that the combinations were a bit out and we had combined handicaps of 18-20 in places which is a disadvantage straight away.

Yep, i was playing, won my match on 17, didn't play my best but enough to win a topsy turvey match. I don't imagine a whitewash either way between wicklow or arklow so Kilcoole look good to progress. Woodenbridge are done by my reckoning as it looks like they have played all 4 and airguitar mistakenly put in played 3 instead of 4.

Redzah wrote: »
    Ya def an upset but first time we had one of our strongest teams out. Before that the combinations were a bit out and we had combined handicaps of 18-20 in places which is a disadvantage straight away.

Yep, i was playing, won my match on 17, didn't play my best but enough to win a topsy turvey match. I don't imagine a whitewash either way between wicklow or arklow so Kilcoole look good to progress. Woodenbridge are done by my reckoning as it looks like they have played all 4 and airguitar mistakenly put in played 3 instead of 4.

That's what the Garden Trophy is all about - trying some new combinations etc. Sometimes the pairing bang on 14 aren't always the strongest so it's worth giving a few different combo's a lash (mind you, a 9 and a 12 are definitely going to find it tough! :))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

Saw you guys ahead of us yesterday Red, kilcoole looked like they were struggling a little especially around 15?

Saw you guys ahead of us yesterday Red, kilcoole looked like they were struggling a little especially around 15?

Believe it or not they halved the 15th. Guy hits his 3rd what looked like O.B. and i hit mine to 10 feet. They get up to the green and the made it past the OB fence and pitched to 15 feet from heavy rough and canned the putt. My partner rolls the 10 footer 1.5 feet passed and they tight sods ask me to putt the 1.5 footer for the half (which of course i made). You'd have think that they would be happy to walk off the hole with a half.

Anyways what goes around comes around so here's what happened on 17, unbelieveable stuff;

We were 1 up and on the green in 2 and 30 feet short of the pin and the others were 12 feet from the pin in 2. I hit a terrible putt short and came back down the slope. Our putt again and my partner hits it 5 feet past. Their guy putts down to a foot. For the craic i said nothing and knocked in the 5 footer. Their guy looks at me and again i said nothing. He goes up to knock it in to go level and lips out from 1 foot and the ball goes 25 feet down the slope and the miss the 25 footer to lose the hole and the match.

Anyways it was a crazy match Matt(eson?) which included an eagle 2 at the 1st for us. I hit one of those 300 yarders :) over the path and my partner knocks it in from 80 yards

Believe it or not they halved the 15th. Guy hits his 3rd what looked like O.B. and i hit mine to 10 feet. They get up to the green and the made it past the OB fence and pitched to 15 feet from heavy rough and canned the putt. My partner rolls the 10 footer 1.5 feet passed and they tight sods ask me to putt the 1.5 footer for the half (which of course i made). You'd have think that they would be happy to walk off the hole with a half.

Anyways what goes around comes around so here's what happened on 17, unbelieveable stuff;

We were 1 up and on the green in 2 and 30 feet short of the pin and the others were 12 feet from the pin in 2. I hit a terrible putt short and came back down the slope. Our putt again and my partner hits it 5 feet past. Their guy putts down to a foot. For the craic i said nothing and knocked in the 5 footer. Their guy looks at me and again i said nothing. He goes up to knock it in to go level and lips out from 1 foot and the ball goes 25 feet down the slope and the miss the 25 footer to lose the hole and the match.

Anyways it was a crazy match Matt(eson?) which included an eagle 2 at the 1st for us. I hit one of those 300 yarders :) over the path and my partner knocks it in from 80 yards

Sounds interesting alright, we were out for pierce purcell training which was interesting, we had 35 points for it with about 6-7 one pointers.

PS for the 2nd i had a 7 iron in on sat :), pitched to the bank on the front and bouced back into the water, gutted! 348 yards GPs point to point mesurement :D

you're not too far off on the above Red(mond?)

Sounds interesting alright, we were out for pierce purcell training which was interesting, we had 35 points for it with about 6-7 one pointers.

PS for the 2nd i had a 7 iron in on sat :), pitched to the bank on the front and bouced back into the water, gutted! 348 yards GPs point to point mesurement :D

you're not too far off on the above Red(mond?)

Two big hits there matt, not gonna add fuel to the 300 yard fire again but u know my stance and i know yours. Either way a drive and 7 to the 2nd are good strikes.

Hows ur pierce purcell team looking? One thing which I see a little on our Garden County team/panel is a bit of an attitude of 'sure we're only new to this and they are strong so we'll do our best'. While the above is true to a certain extent i think we should set our sights much higher and every player should expect to win their match. I'd love to get the squad together to emphasise this and the importance of coming out of the blocks quickly. I've played enough senior cup and barton shield matches to realise that its hard to claw ur way back if u start poorly.

Anyways thats just my view and i know with it being a new club many won't have been in this competitive environment before and i think it can be used to an advantage. My partner yesterday wasn't even sure of the format and he played away without a care in the world as he hadn't experienced it before and was just enjoying a competitive scenario. He played some great stuff and hit some crucial shots under pressure including a 5 iron to 8 feet on 14 at a key moment. My point is who cares if we are a new club in this environment, we just need to concentrate on playing good golf which basically means par golf in this competition.

Sounds fairly defeatist alright, Redzah. Team personnel changes so much from year to year as handicaps change and new people are brought in and new combinations are blooded (due to handicap changes). I don't think you could claim that one club is strong based on history, especially before a stroke is taken.

• Advertisement

thats pretty interesting alright Red, i wouldn't be keen on the defeatist atitude either, from a morale point of view we need to walk on the first knowing we can win with the attitude to support.

mixed bag in the peirce purcell, some good players but some woeful. We'd one fella inventing shots on the course that i think a pro wouldn't use whilst trying a trick shot in his spare time!

we haven't got the pairings quite right but my pairing did ok with the 35 points and a bucket of one pointers but again the defeatist atitude is about as well.

Im managing the provincial towns and Ill not entertain any of that rubbish.

At the end of the day the compitition is down to the quality of the golf and players, just because we're new to competitive matches IMO means we should be coming with something new and unexpected which from a mental perspective should give us the edge. Especially when you take into account the difficulty of thr course we play and the level of playing skill we actually have.

thats pretty interesting alright Red, i wouldn't be keen on the defeatist atitude either, from a morale point of view we need to walk on the first knowing we can win with the attitude to support.

mixed bag in the peirce purcell, some good players but some woeful. We'd one fella inventing shots on the course that i think a pro wouldn't use whilst trying a trick shot in his spare time!

we haven't got the pairings quite right but my pairing did ok with the 35 points and a bucket of one pointers but again the defeatist atitude is about as well.

Im managing the provincial towns and Ill not entertain any of that rubbish.

At the end of the day the compitition is down to the quality of the golf and players, just because we're new to competitive matches IMO means we should be coming with something new and unexpected which from a mental perspective should give us the edge. Especially when you take into account the difficulty of thr course we play and the level of playing skill we actually have.

Yes exactly. This attitude comes more to the fore towards the back 9 in my opinion as a more experienced team would fight and dig in if they were down in a match and I just think our guys might be more accepting of the fact that they were losing as that is what was expected and then have an 'ah sure we gave it a go' attitude.

I plan on going far in the barton cup this year and I expect to be unbeaten for the rest of the year, however long that lasts. I've played 2 matches and lost the first one and don't plan on losing anymore. I want to give the team confidence in thinking that I am a point to rely on and that they need to win their match. I just think there is a huge difference between 'giving it your best shot' or expecting to win and it impacts on the golf played, decisions made and mental approach.

By the way, I could misreading this attitude but I just get a sense that this is the way and want a winning mentality installed in the squad.

you should install it, who's your team captain and manager?

if they're not doing it someone should.

One thing i really saw during training during the weekend is pairings not communicating shots, like for my playing partner i asked him where he would like to be playing his next shot from so i could try and get it there rather than playing my game for that shot. same with him. and with putting/chipping we were always asking advice from each other from outside 5 feet thich i think is imperative but didn't see too much of on the other pairings.

I would always ask my teammate regardless who it is on his opinion just in case i see something incorrectly etc.

fancy some foresome on saturday morning off the whites?? :D:D

you should install it, who's your team captain and manager?

if they're not doing it someone should.

One thing i really saw during training during the weekend is pairings not communicating shots, like for my playing partner i asked him where he would like to be playing his next shot from so i could try and get it there rather than playing my game for that shot. same with him. and with putting/chipping we were always asking advice from each other from outside 5 feet thich i think is imperative but didn't see too much of on the other pairings.

I would always ask my teammate regardless who it is on his opinion just in case i see something incorrectly etc.

fancy some foresome on saturday morning off the whites?? :D:D

Captain is SM. Nice fella and to be honest i don't think he is aware of this and possibly many others aren't either. I just think a meeting in the next few weeks down at the club to discuss a few things would be beneficial for all.

Ya i agree with your point on feeding off you partner and thinking of where he wants to be for the next shot.

Can't make it saturday but we'll get a game sometime soon, i'm down for the singles on sunday alright so want to get a good card in. Do u know if they have a gross prize now that the singles are 18 holes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭L.O.F.T

One thing i really saw during training during the weekend is pairings not communicating shots, like for my playing partner i asked him where he would like to be playing his next shot from so i could try and get it there rather than playing my game for that shot

Matt although your intentions are honest asking or communicating to your playing partner where he would like to be left for his next shot invites pressure your handicap dictates you cant reproduce consistently. In Pierce Purcell the format is five teams of Foursomes playing of a combined handicap of 27 and the minimum handicap being 12..
    The best practice in the above format is hit as many greens and fairways as you can leaving your partner as easy a shot as possible. Consultation before each shot should be left to some form of encouragement and nothing more. There is nothing more farcical than seeing two man teams spending minutes before a shot discussing where to, how to and which club to hit boll-ox and then proceed to do nothing like their expectations for that given shot.
    Hit the ball and get on with it and do it in a little strokes as possible. Over oversimplification, possibly? but at least its better to the alternative of mini summits before the shot is hit. The lower the handicaps the worse it gets.
    Sorry for the off topic post.

Very over simplified, and if i can hit a shot that my partner feels more comfortable playing then i will at least try.

If it doesn't pan out then it doesn't pan out but the approach you have above is similar to what has been said before. A 10 second conversation is it, not 3 minutes.

eg:
    Where would you like to be playing your next shot from on the fairway?
    Left side would be great, im scared of the bunker on the right.
    Ok ill do my best.

Im not talking about: Can you put it 27 inches past the sprinkler from 93 yards out, that will give me perfect distance to land the ball 10 feet beyond the pin and pull it back.

either which way, its still less than a 1 min conversation, which also can be taken between shots or on the walk to the ball.

Your approach above seems somewhat haphazard and is probably why some people remain at high handicaps. If you think about your next shot, you've a better chance of doing something better with it. Hit and Hope should be reserved for the 20+ boys IMO

players of the 12-16 range are trying to improve and this is certainly one way they should be looking to do so.

L.O.F.T wrote: »
    Matt although your intentions are honest asking or communicating to your playing partner where he would like to be left for his next shot invites pressure your handicap dictates you cant reproduce consistently. In Pierce Purcell the format is five teams of Foursomes playing of a combined handicap of 27 and the minimum handicap being 12..
    The best practice in the above format is hit as many greens and fairways as you can leaving your partner as easy a shot as possible. Consultation before each shot should be left to some form of encouragement and nothing more. There is nothing more farcical than seeing two man teams spending minutes before a shot discussing where to, how to and which club to hit boll-ox and then proceed to do nothing like their expectations for that given shot.
    Hit the ball and get on with it and do it in a little strokes as possible. Over oversimplification, possibly? but at least its better to the alternative of mini summits before the shot is hit. The lower the handicaps the worse it gets.
    Sorry for the off topic post.

L.O.F.T thinking your way around the golf course is half the battle and many 12-16 handicappers could be much lower if their course management was better. I completely disagree with your above point as foursomes format is all about consultation and strategy. Their were two former interprovincials on my barton shield team in my former club who hated one another but were put to play together. Both were exceptional individually but as a foursome they lost to two 3 handicappers as they played their own game each time it was their shot and it did not work as a combination as a result. Foursomes is all about consultation and getting the right combination to suit one anothers game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭L.O.F.T

I'm ruining the thread so I'll keep it brief but I stand by my thoughts.
    Very over simplified, and if i can hit a shot that my partner feels more comfortable playing then i will at least try

I didn't say don't try, I said keep it simple.
    L.O.F.T thinking your way around the golf course is half the battle and many 12-16 handicappers could be much lower if their course management was better

I never said that thinking around a course was not relevant. My point is one 12/16 handicapper asking another 12/16 handicapper to leave him left side/ right side of the fairway / green is nonsense and overly ambitious and creates unnecessary tension and such expectations, however honourable are making the game at that level more difficult than it needs to be.

L.O.F.T wrote: »
    I'm ruining the thread so I'll keep it brief but I stand by my thoughts.

I didn't say don't try, I said keep it simple.

I never said that thinking around a course was not relevant. My point is one 12/16 handicapper asking another 12/16 handicapper to leave him left side/ right side of the fairway / green is nonsense and overly ambitious and creates unnecessary tension and such expectations, however honourable are making the game at that level more difficult than it needs to be.

I'd argue that one should always focus on hitting it to a certain area of the fairway etc. no matter what ability as it focusses the mind on a particular point. The whole aim down the middle and hope it ends up on the fairway (what u call the keep it simple approach) is the reason many players hit wild shots because their focus is too general.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭airguitar

Group 1
    14.01 Woodenbridge 4(1) Driuds Heath 2(1)
    22.01 Kilcoole 4.5(2) Woodenbridge 1.5
    27.01 Arklow 4(2) Druids Heath(1) 2
    04.02 Kilcoole 4(1) Arklow 2
    12.02 Woodenbridge 3.5 (1) Wicklow 2.5 (0.5)
    18.02 Kilcoole 4(2) Wicklow 2(1)
    25.02 Wicklow 5(2) Druids Heath 1(0)
    25.02 Woodenbridge 3(1) Arklow 3(1)
    03.03 Kilcoole 2.5(1) Druids Heath 3.5(1)

Group 1
    Druids Heath pld 4 - pts 8.5 - away wins 3

Group 2
    11.02 Tulfarris 3(0) South County 3(0)
    11.02 Blessington Lakes 5(2) Killerig 1(0)
    18.02 Blessington Lakes 4.5(1.5) South County 1.5(0)
    18.02 Tulfarris 4(1) Killerig 2(0)
    25.02 Tulfarris 5(2) Blessington Lakes 1(0)
    25.02 South County 3(1) Coollattin 3(1)
    02.03 Coolattin 4(1) Tulfarris 2(0)

Group 2
    Tulfarris pld 4 - pts 14 - away wins 3
    Coollatin pld 2 - pts 7 - aways wins 2

Fixtures
    10.03 Coollattin v Killerig
    11.03 Coollattin v B Lakes
    South County v Killerig ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭sodbuster77

airguitar wrote: »
    Group 1

Group 1

Group 2

Group 2
    Coollatin pld 2 - pts 7 - aways wins 2

Fixtures
    10.03 Coollattin v Killerig
    11.03 Coollattin v B Lakes
    South County v Killerig ??

I don't think this match is going ahead due to a lack of agreement on a date.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭airguitar

Group 1
    10.03 Wicklow 4(2) Arklow 2(1)

Group 1
    Wicklow pld 4 - pts 13.5 - away wins 5.5
    Arklow pld 4 - pts 11 - away wins 4

Group 2
    10.03 Coolattin 5(2) Killerig 1(0)
    11.03 Blessington Lakes 2(0) Coollattin 4(1)

Group 2
    Coollatin pld 4 - pts 16 - aways wins 2
    B Lakes pld 4 - pts 12.5 - away wins 3.5
    Killerig pld 3 - pts 4 - away wins 0

Final Coolattin v Kilcoole. Date & Venue TBC

airguitar wrote: »
    Group 1
    10.03 Wicklow 4(2) Arklow 2(1)

Group 1
    Wicklow pld 4 - pts 13.5 - away wins 5.5
    Arklow pld 4 - pts 11 - away wins 4

Group 2
    10.03 Coolattin 5(2) Killerig 1(0)
    11.03 Blessington Lakes 2(0) Coollattin 4(1)

Group 2
    Coollatin pld 4 - pts 16 - aways wins 2
    B Lakes pld 4 - pts 12.5 - away wins 3.5
    Killerig pld 3 - pts 4 - away wins 0

Final Coolattin v Kilcoole. Date & Venue TBC

Anyone catch the result of this? My money would have been on Coollattin retaining it.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Fourcandle

Coollattin won a very tight match in a three hole playoff, snatching victory from the jaws of defeat, great match played in great spirit, well done to both sides.

Advertisement