Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photos That Shook The World (Contains graphic images, may cause distress)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭ Beau Bitter Drop

Just deleted a load of off-topic posts of people whining and backseat modding. Last warning, cut it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Back on topic, to photos which changed the world.

This photo showing missile transporters and missile-ready tents in Cuba, among other brought the world the closest it's ever been to full nuclear war.
    U2_Image_of_Cuban_Missile_Crisis.jpg
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuban_Missile_Crisis

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I'm surprised this didn't have more of an impact.

paralysis%20treatment--1090712694_v2.grid-4x2.jpg
    After Rob Summers was paralyzed below the chest in a car accident in 2006, his doctors told him he would never stand again. They were wrong.

Despite intensive physical therapy for three years, Summers' condition hadn't improved. So in 2009, doctors implanted an electrical stimulator onto the lining of his spinal cord to try waking up his damaged nervous system. Within days, Summers, 25, stood without help. Months later, he wiggled his toes, moved his knees, ankles and hips, and was able to take a few steps on a treadmill.

"It was the most incredible feeling," said Summers, of Portland, Oregon. "After not being able to move for four years, I thought things could finally change."

Still, despite his renewed optimism, Summers can't stand when he's not in a therapy session with the stimulator turned on, and he normally gets around in a wheelchair. Doctors are currently limiting his use of the device to several hours at a time.

His case is described in a paper published Friday in the journal, Lancet. The research was paid for by the U.S. National Institutes of Health and the Christopher and Dana Reeve Foundation.

For years, certain people with incomplete spinal cord injuries, who have some control of their limbs, have experienced some improvement after experiments to electrically stimulate their muscles. But such progress had not been seen before in someone with a complete spinal cord injury.

"This is not a cure, but it could lead to improved functionality in some patients," said Gregoire Courtine, head of experimental neurorehabilitation at the University of Zurich. He was not connected to Summers' case. Courtine cautioned Summers' recovery didn't make any difference to the patient's daily life and that more research was needed to help paralyzed people regain enough mobility to make a difference in their normal routines.

The electrical stimulator surgeons implanted onto Summers' spinal cord is usually used to relieve pain and can cost up to $20,000. Summers' doctors implanted it lower than normal, onto the very bottom of his vertebrae.

"The stimulator sends a general signal to the spinal cord to walk or stand," said Dr. Susan Harkema, rehabilitation research director at the Kentucky Spinal Cord Injury Research Center in Louisville and the Lancet study's lead author.

Harkema and her colleagues were surprised Summers was able to voluntarily move his legs. "That tells us we can access the circuitry of the nervous system, which opens up a whole new avenue for us to address paralysis," Harkema said. She said prescribing drugs might also speed recovery.

Dr. John McDonald, director of the International Center for Spinal Cord Injury at Kennedy Krieger Institute in Baltimore, said the strategy could be rapidly adopted for the 10 to 15 percent of paralyzed patients who might benefit. He was not connected to the Summers case.

"There is no question we will do this for our patients," he said. McDonald added that since the electrical stimulators are already approved for pain relief, it shouldn't be difficult to also study them to help some patients regain movement.

For now, Summers does about two hours a day of physical therapy.

"My ultimate goal is to walk and run again," he said. "I believe anything is possible and that I will get out of my wheelchair one day."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

The Execution, and Re-Execution of Willie Francis

14uyfxc.jpg

The picture may not seem shocking, but the story is (at least it is to me), and thus makes the picture shocking.

Willie Francis was a black juvenile offender sentenced to death by electrocution by the state of Louisiana in 1945 (at age 16) for murdering Andrew Thomas, a Cajun pharmacy owner in St. Martinville who had once employed him.

On May 3, 1946, the electric chair failed to kill Willie Francis. Witnesses reported hearing the teenager scream from behind the leather hood, "Take it off! Take it off! Let me breathe!" as the supposedly lethal surge of electricity was being applied. Another report states that he called out, "I'm n-not dying!"

Gruesome_Gertie.jpg
    Gruesome Gertie, it was in this same very chair that Elmo Patrick Sonnier (the inmate on whom the film Dead Man Walking was based) died in.

After an unsuccessful appeal to the Supreme Court on behalf of Francis, which was led by the victims best friend (much to the dismay of the town), Francis was once again electrocuted six days later. It has inspired a film called "Willie Francis Must Die Again".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willie_Francis

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭triseke

that should have a nsfw tag man!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭LimerickCity

On the topic of botched executions check out Allen Lee Davis formerly of Florida. It might not have shook the world but it certainly shook the United States. As a result of this bothced execution, the electric chair was banned in the state and the judge in the aftermath case made the pictures public.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allen_Lee_Davis

Allen_Lee_Davis.jpg

Horrific pictures from the botched execution. NSFW.
    http://www.clarkprosecutor.org/html/death/USmugshots/558cdavis.jpg
    http://www.oranous.com/florida/AllenLeeDavis/95973b.jpg
    http://www.realogrish.com/attachments/execution-brutality-cruelty-murder-pictures/8328d1269255495-botched-execution-allen-lee-davis-davis1jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭LimerickCity

triseke wrote: »
    that should have a nsfw tag man!

Corrected. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

couple of photos of the queens visit
    Link!!

bp1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Cookie33

More Pics: http://genocideinbosnia.wordpress.com/

I started researching this since Ratko Mladic has been arrested after 16 years on the run. He was the Bosnian Serb army chief during the Bosnian War and is facing a war crimes tribunal for 15 counts including genocide charges over the killing of approx 7500 Bosnian Muslin men and boys in 1995. Also the order of raping up to 20,000 women

Milosevic-karadzic-mladic-wanted-poster.jpg
    Serbian paramilitaries kick and kill Bosniak (Bosnian Muslim) civilians on the streets of Bijeljina on 31 March 1992, the first day of the Bosnian war.
    bosnian-genocide-bijeljina-massacre-in-march-1992-41.jpg

Findings of some of the massacres taken in Srebrenica
    53243249.jpg

Srebrenica Potocari Memorial (where Mladic committed genocide)
    Srebrenica_Potocari_Memorial_2.JPG

Summary of deaths
    _53016440_serbia_numbers304.gif

More info in pictures: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-13558521

Detailed info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bosnian_War

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

if anyone is interested there was a great series done by the bbc called the fall of yugoslavia.Great series and gives the whole story of the horror that was the balkans war

heres the first episode
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6312864596613878002#

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭andyterryjay

Before my time but I do know it's a photo that shook the world. Picture of Phan Thị Kim Phúc and other children as they run from their village which was just napalmed.

TrangBang.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭andyterryjay

This picture needs no description. If people are complaining about there having been no apology from the queen, I think this was her way of showing her regret.

ca76b__52815267_jex_1049446_de27-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭upandcumming

This picture needs no description. If people are complaining about there having been no apology from the queen, I think this was her way of showing her regret.
    Apology for what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

dazzlermac wrote: »
    whos gonna bite???anyone??:pac:

Apology for not drinking the pint!

ss-110518-queen-ireland-05.ss_full.jpg

Lab_Mouse wrote: »
    if anyone is interested there was a great series done by the bbc called the fall of yugoslavia.Great series and gives the whole story of the horror that was the balkans war

heres the first episode
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6312864596613878002#
    Thank you for the link to the documentry, I have watched all 6 parts last night and today, and I would highly recommend it.

Its great to see the input of ALL the main players just 6 months after the dayton agreement was signed. before some were hunted for war crimes etc...

also I could only find part 1,4 and 5 on google video but the rest are easy to find on youtube in 45-50 minute episodes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

Bloody-Sunday-19132.jpg

The Dublin Metropolitan Police and RIC baton-charged a crowd on O’Connell Street, Dublin, who were gathered to hear a speech by trade union leader Jim Larkin during the 1913 lockout.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Loads of people that were against the queen coming to ireland said that she should have apologised for bloody sunday.

But that argument is stupid in my opinion. It doesn't matter.

I am shocked that you live in a world where things like this "doesn't matter" to you. Says a lot about the human race and where we are heading!

157351d1272071168-bloody-sunday-1972-bloody2.jpg

bloody%20sunday.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTmVz3PxEdG-DhxmYs_fYTdmJE83RAOvepS-fqxt58nEKc20WRJGA

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQlaLD4g1YQWbLUND6kJ1J63Z_j-XG4vU9nQwWmc8N8dHr0f4Gj8A

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    I am shocked that you live in a world where things like this "doesn't matter" to you. Says a lot about the human race and where we are heading!
    She was apologising for a completly diffrent event than your photographs are depicting.
    Bloody_Sunday_1920_ticket.jpg
    She was apologising for Bloody Sunday 1920 which hapened in Dublin and at Croke Park. it was in reltaliation for killing of the Cairo Gang (picture below) by Micheal Collins "Squad" or "Twelve apostles"
    800px-Cairo_gang.jpg

1913 Dublin Lockout
    It certainly shook Ireland and influenced Leaders of the 1916 rising, James Connolly etc...
    Info- wikipedia
    Info - Detailed
    A great Link to Photos showing conditions in Dublin in 1913 and before the Strike and lockout.
    Link to Photos

2059.jpg

1985.jpg

Slum Dwellers

1005.jpg

Fade Street :rolleyes:
    968.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Mousey- wrote: »
    She was apologising for a completly diffrent event than your photographs are depicting.

Ah yes, this is what happens when I go ranting at all hours of the morning with approx 8 hours sleep in 2 and a half days!:o

One is as bad as the other as far as Bloody Sundays are concerned! Sick to think we have several Bloody Sundays!!!

I do not get upset about soldiers, from State armies, or otherwise, getting killed. I feel bad for their families, but that's it. It is when innocent civilians die, and when they frightened and fleeing for their lives, I get upset. I am an Irish Republican, but I get upset by the loss of any innocent life, regardless of that persons beliefs, political or religious!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Robus

The Stardust Fire 14th February 1981

1411_artane1981_l_231466t.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

588d11a5-151c-4e2b-88ee-25eff08ca10a.jpg

Germany bombs Dublins North Strand (70 years ago today)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

I'm not sure of who this man is nor do I have a link to its source.. It didn't shake the world but certainly gave me a lump in my throat..

6ZewW.jpg

Wars and people are fcuking stupid...

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭littlejp

earthrise.gif
    Apologies if it's been done before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Definetely shook 'a' world

800px-Shoemaker-Levy_9_on_1994-05-17.png

The comet shoemaker-levy 9. the first comet observed smashing into a Planet ,Jupiter, in 1994 (that makes me feel old). The impact was 600 times the worlds nuclear arsenal

250px-Jupiter_showing_SL9_impact_sites.jpg
    The impact sites on Jupiter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

I've deleted quite a few off topic sniping posts.

This thread is for posting poignent photos. Ones where the picture says more than any amount of text could. Its a remarkable thread, the best one on boards in my opinion. This is definitely NOT a place for bickering, sniping, or general dickishness. If you don't think a particular picture shook the world, then kindly scroll by it. If you think it spoils a good thread, then report it and I'll snip it out. Do not try and backseat moderate this thread.

What shakes one persons world, may not shake yours, just keep scrolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

I've just been looking through Lucian Perkins' website and there are some amazing photographs on there which have won a substantial amount of awards. Well worth a look.

http://www.lucianperkins.com/#/nav/home

This one def stood out for me, a "Holy Sh!t!" picture. It's an X-Ray of an American Soldiers wrist after he was injured in a IED attack in Iraq.

2me3iqb.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭ Hope Eager Windfall

billy.jpg

Yesterday would have been the anniversary of the death of the last Irish soldier to be Killed In Action in Lebanon.

May he rest in peace.

As the advance party of the 104th Irish Infantry Battalion arrive back in Lebanon I'd like to wish them a safe, peaceful & successful mission.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Ian Malone, a childhood friend of mine, was the first Irish soldier to be killed in the Iraq war.

263329.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Malone

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭ Hope Eager Windfall

Ian Malone, a childhood friend of mine, was the first Irish soldier to be killed in the Iraq war.

263329.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Malone

Wow, I went to that funeral!.

Advertisement