Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BREAST FEEDING A 3 YEAR OLD !

• 11-05-2012 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭

Here’s what the world thought of that Time breastfeeding cover…

6 hours ago 6,237 Views 57 Comments
    Share7 Tweet
    time-mag1-310x415.jpg Front cover creates debate over 'attachment parenting'

Image: (Image via Twitter @TIME)

TIME MAGAZINE’S FRONT cover has sparked a global debate about breastfeeding.
    This month’s cover features a 26-year-old mother breastfeeding her three-year-old son. The mother, Jamie Lynne Grumet, holds her son Aram to her breast while he stands on a chair. The article explores the issue of attachment parenting which encourages mothers to breastfeed older toddlers so as to establish bonds between mothers and children.
    The news magazine featured the photo and article to coincide with the 20th anniversary of the Dr Bill Sears book who advocated attachment parenting. Grumet is to appear on The Today Show in the US today to discuss the cover.
    However, news outlets around the world have been contemplating whether the front cover is a step too far.
    The San Francisco Chronicle asks that very question saying that the boy featured in the photo “looks old enough to pour himself a glass of milk” and claims that the the cover was clearly picked to attract media attention. The Sydney Morning Herald says the cover is “confronting”. They write that the Australian Breastfeeding Association said that women should be encouraged to make their own decision about breastfeeding.
    The Mirror questions whether the front cover is “perfectly natural or child exploitation” while The New Zealand Herald said the article has “underscored a cultural rift between traditional childrearing and what some have deemed extreme parenting”.
    The Los Angleles Times describes the cover as “the head-snapping checkout-stand stopper of the season”. According The Guardian, Gillian Tett of The Financial Times told Time Magazine’s executive editor Rick Stengel that it was a “cheap shot” adding that the article was about Bill Sears and not an “attractive blonde woman breastfeeding”.
    Mothers have been venting their anger through social media at both the picture and the headline question. Actress Alyssa Milano, herself a new mother, echoed many of the mother’s complaints. She tweeted to her 2 million followers:img717.imageshack.us

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Lucky bastard.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I'm a grown man and I still get breast fed on occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

I don't think it's natural.
    She does.
    I am wrong and she is right.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I'm a grown man and I still get breast fed on occasion.

By your mother?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

This thread sucks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

BITTY

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

I reckon she'll say "enoughs enough" before he does

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Weylin

wait until the guy is 16-18 ,he is going to get some slagging :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

By your mother?

Not my mother, possibly someone else's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Dubhlinner

A lot more natural than all the women who go straight to bottle feeding

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Thread sucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Made me titter...

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭notsobusy

There's a lot of women who can't breastfeed, they'd like to but they can't. I find that picture very disturbing.....I think 3 is way to old to be breastfeeding. But then again that's just my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

This month’s cover features a 26-year-old mother breastfeeding her three-year-old son. The mother, Jamie Lynne Grumet

"It's the wrong tit, Grumet.... and they've gone wrong"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Weylin wrote: »
    He'll just have to make the breast of a bad situation.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

It's the most natural food you can feed an infant.

I don't see the problem.

But sher whatever. Pass the kid a rusk or whatever other processed shoite they're trying to pass off as healthy these days in case a few ne'erdowells get offended.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

Off-topic but ironically women in Saudi Arabia openly breastfeed despite often being fully veiled.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Eggonyerface

Some people just prefer draught to bottle

• Registered Users Posts: 25,057 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

That's a pretty piss poor attempt at a copy and paste

Also the Time cover is there to provoke a reaction. If it was a 3 yo that actually looked like a 3 year old there'd be no such reaction to it. Instead they made sure to get a much older looking kid, and stand him on a chair in order to reach sustenance! I doubt that's how she breastfeeds the kid at home.

It's a load of bollix really.

And I'd definitely suck on her tits.. what's weird about that?! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Hunter-gatherers breastfeed their kids for minimum of 2 years and up to 5 years. This was likely the case for most of human evolution.

People who think that's weird have a problem.

It's only very recently where the done thing is breastfeed for 6 months then shove the child in a creche. Now that's weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

That Chick should be in Slydice

• Registered Users Posts: 25,057 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Some of the reaction to this on Twitter is hilarious. People calling it sick & twisted without realising that they themselves are the ones sexualising what is a completely non-sexual relationship between a mother and her child.

If Freud were alive today he'd be sucking his own tit with excitement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Weylin wrote: »
    He will be getting it long before that I reckon..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

why breastfeed once a child can eat?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

That child is gona be so pissed off when he is older.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

why breastfeed once a child can eat?

Because it contains the precise nutrients a growing child needs to remain as healthy as possible?
    I wouldn't expect anybody to do this, definitely not once teeth start mangling things (gums're bad enough), but this histrionic crowd-sourced disgust is so, so repulsively Victorian (not aimed at you, laoch).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Coal1978

No bloody way, my little fella has gums like razor blades, that's bad enough, would you chance teeth!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

grindle wrote: »
    Because it contains the precise nutrients a growing child needs to remain as healthy as possible?
    I wouldn't expect anybody to do this, definitely not once teeth start mangling things (gums're bad enough), but this histrionic crowd-sourced disgust is so, so repulsively Victorian (not aimed at you, laoch).

I was looking at it from a biological view point
    mammals wean their young once they can eat we are mammals

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

My wife claims her friend was latching on to his ma until he was 5.

Advertisement