Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scrap metal for money from Oranmore Metal

• 25-04-2009 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

Hello,
    I rang up the metal company in Oranmore for some price quotes on scrap metal.

They offered me €100 for 1 ton of aluminum cans. They would not even be worth the both for a resident.

Also they offered me €30 for a house home heating range. That would not even be worth getting it in to a van and driving to oranmore. There is a lot of metal in a range.

Has anyone else had better offers on scrap metal any where else in galway?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭*Tripper*

No but i can tell ya where you'll get a ponay boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I think copper is what non-industrial individuals (unless we're talking about the strength of the alcohol they consume) in Canada trade in to the scrap metal places.

They strip the copper out of old motors they find in dumps, and strip the insulation off wires. Old copper pipes too. It pays a lot better than aluminium because aluminium takes so much more energy to recycle (I think)

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭evoke

i was in scotland last summer. They were paying £300 for a ton of aluminum cans. It was for anyone. Alot of businesses contribute to it. It is also a oppurtunity to be self employed or earn some extra money.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I thought the price of scrap metal had sored. I remember seeing some car show where they did a piece showing how even cars in fairly good condition where being snapped up by scrap merchants over car dealers because they where worth more as scrap.
    I'd ask around if I where you.

The travelers used to always collect old stuff like that up until everything became disposable. I wonder do they still do that kind of stuff? I wouldn't be surprised if they did. I doubt they'd give you a better price though, it's damn near impossible to out haggle a traveler.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

The price of commodities has plummetted over the last few months. Metals and Steel ares a commodity. Prices that you could have got last summer for metal would be no way attainable now.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Not sure about aluminium but copper is worth 1300 per tonne.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,139 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

The arse has fallen out of scrap metal. Compared to what a tonne of mild steel was getting last year it has almost halved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 colm88

*Tripper* wrote: »
    No but i can tell ya where you'll get a ponay boss.

I think the word your trying to use is Pony spelled P O N Y . :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 colm88

evoke wrote: »
    Hello,
    I rang up the metal company in Oranmore for some price quotes on scrap metal.

They offered me €100 for 1 ton of aluminum cans. They would not even be worth the both for a resident.

Also they offered me €30 for a house home heating range. That would not even be worth getting it in to a van and driving to oranmore. There is a lot of metal in a range.

Has anyone else had better offers on scrap metal any where else in galway?

( According to Repak Ireland, they get €18,000 Euro per tonne of cans from Novelis in Cheshire UK )

Visit http://www.greenhome.ie/level2.php?rid=110&cat=Waste

€18,000 Euro per tonne. that is a complete rip off then if i am getting paid €100 per tonne.

might aswell go sell the cans to that company instead.

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Do you have 65,000 empty cans lying around? (1 tonne = 65,000 cans)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I had some old scrap outside my workshop, some kind hearted travelling people offered to take it away for a charge of €150 :rolleyes:, i rang the people in Oranmore, they came out and collected it and paid me €60 . Nice difference.

I had some old scrap outside my workshop, some kind hearted travelling people offered to take it away for a charge of €150 , i rang the people in Oranmore, they came out and collected it and paid me €60 . Nice difference.

Was there a ton of scrap there i wonder. They must make loads of money of people like that. i wonder how much they sold the metal for?
    Do you have 65,000 empty cans lying around? (1 tonne = 65,000 cans)

no i dont but i think i could get that many cans collected in a student village.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭patnor1011

colm88 wrote: »
    ( According to Repak Ireland, they get €18,000 Euro per tonne of cans from Novelis in Cheshire UK )

Visit http://www.greenhome.ie/level2.php?rid=110&cat=Waste

No 18,000 but 1,800 a slight difference.:D
    That cans you are reffering must have been gold plated or silver ones. One ton of alluminum is about 2000$ on stock market. I doubt that anybody will pay 9x more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

We're paid well for our used beverage containers - about €18,000 a tonne. You need 65,000 cans to make a tonne, which means we're getting about 3c for each one

Someone over at greenhome.ie isn't too hot on the maths!

65,000 x €0.03 = €1,950 ..... tad short of €18,000

damn, i was ready to quit my job and go and collect aluminum cans.

I wonder if those rehab bins for cans take 1 ton of cans when they are full?

yeah easily if cans are squashed which is not often but they hold enough... that is business to get moneis free from people and let them feel that they are saving planet - and obviously filling someones pockets with cash... in most of other countries there are scrap yard paying fair price for all types of metals, plastic paper and joe public can get few bobs collecting stuff at home and bringing that there for cash... here you have waste collectors telling you that you can save money for not thrashing paper, glass, cans, plastic and you can put them to plastic bags and they will be collected free and not counted to your waste weight bill. yeah they are indeed collected for free but it is like giving away money to somebody else who is well off from cashing on your regular waste. all this recyclables are like nice bonus for them. huge bonus....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Thats all good and well if you don't mind a mountain of cans or bottles collecting in your back yard until you have enough to warrant going to the paying recyclers. You would also need a means to move and transport these goods.

it is about long run... not quick cash unless you will start collecting cans from local pubs... you can get nice small can compactor and believe me thousand cans will easily fit in small box... it is just question of habit. in my country my father for example separating paper. colour printed and magazines into one box, newspaper in to another one... instead of putting it into bin. Once-twice a year he will load that in car, drive to local recycling centre and he will get some money back. in our recycling centres you will get fair price for all metal, paper, plastic, bateries and so on. here people are not used to recycle so there are only few companies doing it and they are making enormous amounts of money. like paying 100 euro for ton of cans when price of aluminum is 2000$. same with copper getting 1300euro when price is 7000$... they expect you to pay for disposing batteries when lead is 2000$ per ton... scrap steel is trading at around 300$ per ton depens on quality and type price can be higher.

http://www.metalprices.com/#
    steel
    http://www.eurofer.org/index.php/eng/Facts-Figures/Figures/Scrap-price-index

• Registered Users Posts: 38 jelfs

I know this is an old thread I stumbled upon but have to say after reading it I am even more pissed off that pur rercycling centre charges 3euro in!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Thread is old. If you want to you can start a new thread.
    Btw, the general Galway Co recycling centre I use in Liosban is free.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement