Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BEER REVIEWS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

Canadian

Keats pale Ale: lovely would be my drink of choice if it was in Ireland.
    rickards red is good too

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Chief_Jack

If you go to Amsterdam get Heineken, obviously not as 'different' or anything as most of the beers on this list but I was over there a few months back and it is amazing how nice it is. It's worth noting that here I never ever drink Heineken and would say I don't like it. But over there it's like a different beer, probably because they make it there.

Also, if you do happen to be in Amsterdam go to the Heineken factory. It sounds kinda boring but it is actually really awesome and was one of the best parts of our trip there. Its like €12 or that but you get about 3 pints during it and its so fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Manc-Red

Having read through this thread a few days ago I decided to buy me a few bottles of different beers.

First one I'm sipping now - Innis & Gunn (mentioned on here already) - really lovely beer. Its dark and smooth. Can't remember the price but its a 75cl bottle. Got it in Super Valu. Would highly recommend.

Have a few more in the fridge for tasting. One old favourite is Erdinger wheat beer.

Funny and true story about Erdinger. Myself and a mate developed a taste for it and persuaded our local publican to get it in. He proudly told us a few days later that he had gotten in a few cases of it. Grand job, we drank it that night. And the next night. The third night we came in we asked for two bottles of the stuff and he told us he was out of it. We asked who else was drinking it, he said no-one was. We told him he couldn't be out of it so. We kept at him until he admitted that he wasn't out of it but wouldn't serve us anymore of it. When we pressed him on why he told us:

'Ye used to come in here before and drink 8 or 10 pints, now ye go home wheeling after four bottles of that stuff - shur I'm making nothing off ye.'

I first tasted Erdinger Weißbier about 9 years ago & it really was a revelation to me compared to say Heino or Bud - real depth in the taste & a really nice kick off it!

Some off-licences here are selling a bottle of the stuff at near €3 ....

Superb Beer though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

10-10-20 wrote: »
    3 Monts from Brasserie St-Sylvestre in the Flanders area of North France along the Belgian border. It's named after three mounds which are found on the border, and not after three months of conditioning like I thought it was...!

It's a heady 8.5% and is sold in 75cl bottles, usually for ~€6 or so.

I think it's fantastic. You can find it in Molloys anyhow. I have a bottle on chill at the moment...

Yeah its a nice beer. McHughs offlicence ,malahide rd do have it sometimes.Usually I get a bottle or two whenever they have it in stock.That and my favourite beer......... Kwak.:D

I'm developing a taste for belgium beers.:D
    Kwak(10/10) my favourite beer is my benchmark.
    Yesterday I tried Slober another belgium beer.Its a great beer ,(8/10) for me.

Today I tried Adriaen Brouwer Dark Gold ,and liked it a lot.It's a top notch beer and a close second for me.At the moment it's (9/10) for me,but with more testing;) I could see this one been a 10 also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Gweedling

Manc-Red wrote: »
    I first tasted Erdinger Weißbier about 9 years ago & it really was a revelation to me compared to say Heino or Bud - real depth in the taste & a really nice kick off it!

This. All of this. I was working in a pub when it first came over to Ireland about 8-9 years ago, a few cases came in about 1pm and of course we had to ahem . . . "sample" some. Was absolutely glorious. Nowadays I'm more of a real ale snob, after living and working in pubs in london for 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Just got my hands on a few bottles of Milk Stout from Left Hand brewing.

Oh my god, it's incredible. New favourite beer. Smooth, with lovely chocolatey/coffee taste. Fantastic stout.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭earlytobed

Have tried most of the German wheat beers but I really like Spaten. It goes down nicely:)

Ze Germans have nailed it in it's produce of Beer :)

Tescos..... Picked up 5 x Old Crafty Hen Vintage Super Premium yesterday, it is a 6.5% ale - aged for several years & packs a lovely taste.

5 for 10 quid - oh yes indeedy :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭earlytobed

Chief_Jack wrote: »
    It's worth noting that here I never ever drink Heineken and would say I don't like it. But over there it's like a different beer, probably because they make it there.

Aren't the bottles of Heineken that are sold here brewed in Amsterdam?

Anyone else tried this. Seen it on tap in town and asked for a pint. Got some slagging from the mates when it arrived with a slice of orange on top.:o
    Beer with orange???.
    Was ok........not bad,but wouldn't be upset if I never drank it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Have to say I like it. Needs the orange. Vit beers need the citrus, and I'm partial to orange/coriander.

gulden-draak.jpg

Had a bottle of this tonight, its fairly strong so one to savour.
    I liked it big time,Very Tasty . I will be trying this again.eh...............and again;)

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭iopener

Chief_Jack wrote: »
    If you go to Amsterdam get Heineken, obviously not as 'different' or anything as most of the beers on this list but I was over there a few months back and it is amazing how nice it is. It's worth noting that here I never ever drink Heineken and would say I don't like it. But over there it's like a different beer, probably because they make it there.

Also, if you do happen to be in Amsterdam go to the Heineken factory. It sounds kinda boring but it is actually really awesome and was one of the best parts of our trip there. Its like €12 or that but you get about 3 pints during it and its so fun.

i was in amsterdam a few years back and went to the heineken muesuem and while waiting in the lobby there was 4 of us in total everyone else was out smoking before the tour, and this american guy taps me on the shoulder and asks if i was going the tour, i said i was and was just waiting on my mates to finish their cigarttes outside,ok he said and gives me about 40 coupons for the free drinks,i'm a mormom he said. happy days we fell out of the meusum the last people to leave.absolute classic
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Westvletern XII. Consistently rated as the world's best beer.

110000205-GROTTENBIER-beer.jpg
    I enjoyed it , a Tasty beer,but would not go out of my way to get it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I'm developing a taste for belgium beers.:D
    Kwak(10/10) my favourite beer is my benchmark.
    Yesterday I tried Slober another belgium beer.Its a great beer ,(8/10) for me.

Today I tried Adriaen Brouwer Dark Gold ,and liked it a lot.It's a top notch beer and a close second for me.At the moment it's (9/10) for me,but with more testing;) I could see this one been a 10 also.

I really like kwak as well, but as Belgian beers go I personally would rate Rochefort 10 as slightly nicer. Check it out if you haven't.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Belgian beer rocks.

My tipple for the moment is Leffe Royal and Grimbergen Blonde.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭EireIceMan

Westvletern XII. Consistently rated as the world's best beer.

Where can this be got sir?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

EireIceMan wrote: »

It's normally only available at the trappist monastery that makes it (and the café across the road). A year or two ago the monastery sold it commercially worldwide to fund a new roof, and it was sold in "Bricks" of six beers and two glasses for €50!

Nowadays people sell them on ebay etc for stupid prices but to be honest I would avoid buying them there. Apart from the dubious legality of same, there is simply no guarantee that what you get for your money is the genuine article, and if someone sells you a bottle that they have drunk and filled up with cheaper beer (and then resealed) then you will have wasted a lot of money.

To be honest, and this is just my opinion, it is nice but it is not the nicest beer I've ever tasted, not even the nicest trappist beer, and the reason it is considered the highest rated beer in the world is because it has a bit of a cult following and beer enthusiasts have gone on almost a quest to find the holy grail of beers.

It's normally only available at the trappist monastery that makes it (and the café across the road). A year or two ago the monastery sold it commercially worldwide to fund a new roof, and it was sold in "Bricks" of six beers and two glasses for €50!

Nowadays people sell them on ebay etc for stupid prices but to be honest I would avoid buying them there. Apart from the dubious legality of same, there is simply no guarantee that what you get for your money is the genuine article, and if someone sells you a bottle that they have drunk and filled up with cheaper beer (and then resealed) then you will have wasted a lot of money.

To be honest, and this is just my opinion, it is nice but it is not the nicest beer I've ever tasted, not even the nicest trappist beer, and the reason it is considered the highest rated beer in the world is because it has a bit of a cult following and beer enthusiasts have gone on almost a quest to find the holy grail of beers.

Spot on, it's a great beer but it's very much over-hyped, probably the creme egg effect at play here. I find a Rochefort 10 off the shelf to be a better beer. I have a couple of bottles of Westvletern XII sitting at home, going to let them age for a few years and see if they live up to the hype.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

jester77 wrote: »
    Spot on, it's a great beer but it's very much over-hyped, probably the creme egg effect at play here. I find a Rochefort 10 off the shelf to be a better beer. I have a couple of bottles of Westvletern XII sitting at home, going to let them age for a few years and see if they live up to the hype.

At the risk of sounding like a madman, my favourite of the trappist beers that I've tried is LaTrappe. I find it is slightly less sugary than the others.

In other beer news, has anyone seen any Odell's St Lupulin's around? It's their summer seasonal and last year's was great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

At the risk of sounding like a madman, my favourite of the trappist beers that I've tried is LaTrappe. I find it is slightly less sugary than the others.

In other beer news, has anyone seen any Odell's St Lupulin's around? It's their summer seasonal and last year's was great.
    La Trappe is fantastic, love the quad. Saw St Lupulins in Redmonds in the last few weeks.

ohhhhhh, nice coincidence, I just happened to have a few tripels and quads delivered yesterday :) Saving them for the weekend, really looking forward to them now. I've only had Belgian trappist beers and decided to try these to see how they compare.

ohhhhhh, nice coincidence, I just happened to have a few tripels and quads delivered yesterday :) Saving them for the weekend, really looking forward to them now. I've only had Belgian trappist beers and decided to try these to see how they compare.

The quadrupel is great, but you only need one!

I really like kwak as well, but as Belgian beers go I personally would rate Rochefort 10 as slightly nicer. Check it out if you haven't.

Could'nt remember the name ,so had to google the image to check it out. I bought it a few years back , I remember I bought "6" ,"8" and "10". Apart from drinking them one after another (in hindsight a mistake ,as I like to take my time with the good brews ), I don't remember much else.
    I will have to try it again on it's own.;)

EireIceMan wrote: »

Westvletern XII..........I got it in Mchughs off-licence malahide road ,last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Reviews to follow :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Reviews to follow :D

Good luck with the Delirium Micky, thought it tasted like the devils own piss last I'm tried it :D Palm is a treat though, lovely stuff ;)

Advertisement