Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar panels & heating controls

• 20-01-2014 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭

hi guys I thinking about getting in some solar panels and heating controls from the Energy Centre, has anyone used them before and how did they find them??
    or can anyone recommend another company?? thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Harryeve

Hi just thought I'd reply to your question. I'm a plumber with the energy centre just came across this thread. I'm obviously a bit biased but you won't find a better company around to fit your solars the job is done in 1 day and the house is left perfect. If there was ever any problems they have someone straight out to you so you have a great aftercare service.
    Best of look

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭gambit83

great, thanks for responding

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭ccsolar

Pm sent

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭PhilipJ

No adds please use the pm function if you wish to recommend

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056233818/1
    Are they still flogging solar panels for central heating??

• Advertisement

Yes they are, Im looking to get as much info as i can on it as i am considering it.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭splanagan22

PhilipJ wrote: »
    Have you contacted Lets Talk Solar based in Mullingar? http://letstalksolar.ie/

I've seen one of these systems installed. Very fancy looking stuff but still gets me how it actually works. And also the cost is enormous to have it installed. Just couldn't justify it myself with out a solid guarantee of actual savings and not just some remote access map on the computer that shows you how systems are performing in Mayo. There is another company trying to plug this type of system now as well and to be honest with the guy who's owns the company they could not be trusted. Has anyone on here actually got the system installed?

As for the OP question. I think that the heating controls and boiler upgrade is a good idea and is worth the money. I have solar installed in my own house but it was intalled from new so if I was looking for some product to give me fuel savings it would have to be the boiler, controls as insulation and would skip the solar for now. Also the company mentioned is based not far from me. Good company but your going to be paying at least 15% more to cover sales commissions and marketing that goes on first. I'm assuming you were contacted at first by a telephone call. Well that has to be paid for then I'm assuming a sales rep or
    "energy consultant" called to your home to meet you and spent at least an hour gong through a presenter etc. all just a fancy sales presentation, do your own research and then get quotes from recommended installers in your own area and go from there.

Yes it is expensive and what you say makes sense. Im using approx 4000 litres of kerosene per year and my usage should drop down to 1500 per year with this system so should pay its self back within 5-6 years on today's oil prices. Im hoping someone here has had the system installed for feed back

Yes it is expensive and what you say makes sense. Im using approx 4000 litres of kerosene per year and my usage should drop down to 1500 per year with this system so should pay its self back within 5-6 years on today's oil prices. Im hoping someone here has had the system installed for feed back

Ok so using the stats that have to you it makes sense. BUT take today for instance. Sky full of clouds and not much solar gain to be had. What's the heat it should contribute to you today? In my opinion the system will work excellent when you don't want it to work I.e when's its sunny out. Also how does the system be controlled. Or does it just send heat to the rads all the time? Lots of questions to be asked if it was me thinking of spending that sort of money. You would install a new boiler. Full heating controls. Full insulation in walls and attic and with the enprova and seai grants it would would cost only 30% of what they would charge you and IMO far better value for your hard earned cash.

Also the system they install is basically just an over sized solar system with a heat dump and some sort of claim that they have a newly designed cylinder to make this happen and they are the only ones who have the rights to the cylinder. Madness.

Ok so using the stats that have to you it makes sense. BUT take today for instance. Sky full of clouds and not much solar gain to be had. What's the heat it should contribute to you today? In my opinion the system will work excellent when you don't want it to work I.e when's its sunny out. Also how does the system be controlled. Or does it just send heat to the rads all the time? Lots of questions to be asked if it was me thinking of spending that sort of money. You would install a new boiler. Full heating controls. Full insulation in walls and attic and with the enprova and seai grants it would would cost only 30% of what they would charge you and IMO far better value for your hard earned cash.

Also the system they install is basically just an over sized solar system with a heat dump and some sort of claim that they have a newly designed cylinder to make this happen and they are the only ones who have the rights to the cylinder. Madness.

I don't think I could have said it better my self.

• Advertisement

Hi Philip
    What are you heating that uses 4000 litres per year
    You can install the best heating system in the world but if the property isn't insulated properly your wasting your money
    Can you give us more info inorder to best advise you
    Cc

I'm all for the whole solar idea and all that and I used to install a god bit if it. But what gets me is the way homeowner and the likes still falling for this "marketing ploy" that is still a massive business in Ireland these days.

Talk to people in the locality that have systems installed. Get an informed decision and then seek reputable local installers that will still be there when all these grants and the likes are gone. Because I can assure you that when they go these big companies will not be viable and will be unable to stay open.

It sends heat to the rads all the time, but its valid points you make and what i want to get to the bottom of

a 3000sq foot house. to many rads and windows....

a 3000sq foot house. to many rads and windows....

What year was the house built?

What type of windows do you have?

It was built in 2006 and double glazed windows. although it feels like some on the windows have broken down some how, I feel a draft off some of them if that makes sense, other windows i dont.

It was built in 2006 and double glazed windows. although it feels like some on the windows have broken down some how, I feel a draft off some of them if that makes sense, other windows i dont.

Well IMO your losing heat and maybe insulation not up to scratch.

Let's say you installed the solar heating system. You has still not fixed the roof of your problem.your just throwing cheaper fuel out. You will still be losing energy from windows, doors ,walls etc. you will end up paying a colossal amount of money for this system and then in a few years realise you will have to maybe upgrade windows, insulation atc anyway

Have you had a BER done recently? Maybe that should be your starting point spend €150 or so on a survey from a proper BER company and then go from there

No i haven't, i know i should! doing the sums on what i have been given, it an expensive item to purchase up front but if it does what it said on the tin i will have recouped it within 6 years there after a saving of 2350 per year on not purchasing as much kerosene thus dropping my carbon footprint too. those savings after the 6 years can be put back into the house for upgrades that are due. If oil keeps rising and the government keeps increasing tax on fossil fuels will be paid back sooner and saving a lot more per annum. But again that only if the solar heating is what it they make it out to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭freddyuk

Did they suggest the size of cylinder you should have and the number of tubes (or panels).

They did, Its a 6 panel layout so tubes wise im not sure. The size of the cylinder is bespoke due to the layout of the hotpress but i cant recall the size litres wise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

4k liters of oil per year! You really should get an independent assessment done by an experienced professional to advise. I'm not talking about a standard BER but rather a heat loss survey which will actually test your house for real heat loss mechanisms. Getting to the bottom of why you are burning so much oil is, imo, your best next step.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭DeeJunFan

Your windows might not be the problem. The sealant used in windows is often very cheap silicon and it degrades after a few years allowing more and more air through.

You could upgrade the seals, use some air-tightness tape. Not a very expensive job and it would make a big difference.

You could also have your oil line inspected as you may have a leak between the house and the tank.

If you have a well insulated, air-tight house it wont take much to heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 popple

Hi,

I am looking at the threads about the solar panels for heating, we have been approached by a company who claim the water and radiators can be heated by solar. They have been named in previous threads and say they are the first irish company to provide heat through solar. As ye say it is very expensive and therefore a huge commitment. Has solar systems developed to a high standard to allow them make this claim.

popple wrote: »
    Hi,

I am looking at the threads about the solar panels for heating, we have been approached by a company who claim the water and radiators can be heated by solar. They have been named in previous threads and say they are the first irish company to provide heat through solar. As ye say it is very expensive and therefore a huge commitment. Has solar systems developed to a high standard to allow them make this claim.

Ask them for the output data of their system. Then check the solar gain available in your area during the year via PVGIS or similar. Then consider that during the winter the solar energy is about 30% of the summer. Then you can roughly estimate if the sales pitch is believable. If they are close then you can do the sums properly. If you realise there is no chance of heating your home effectively then you can save yourself a lot of heartache.
    If you have enough solar input then you can heat your home all year but that maybe not be cost effective at this time compared to more traditional methods. Insulation and draught proofing are possibly more effective in reducing costs if you have not invested in this yet. Remember you do not need the heat in the summer when there is lot's of (sorry - more) sunshine then in the winter. That is always the dilemma.

Hi,

Thank you for your reply. We are very confused as we know very little about solar heating. As suggested I went to PVGIS and the following information is what we received. We dont understand it - is there anything here that you can explain to us. Thanks for the help

Nominal power of the PV system: 1kWp
    Inclination of modules: 45deg.
    Orientation (azimuth) of modules: 0deg.

Fixed angle
    Month Ed Em Hd Hm
    1 1.30 40.3 1.57 48.8
    2 2.05 57.3 2.51 70.3
    3 2.85 88.3 3.59 111
    4 3.60 108 4.63 139
    5 3.89 120 5.12 159
    6 3.65 109 4.87 146
    7 3.28 102 4.42 137
    8 3.18 98.5 4.22 131
    9 2.82 84.5 3.67 110
    10 2.03 62.9 2.56 79.5
    11 1.56 46.8 1.91 57.4
    12 1.12 34.8 1.36 42.0
    Year 2.61 79.4 3.37 103

Ed: Average daily electricity production from the given system (kWh)
    Em: Average monthly electricity production from the given system (kWh)
    Hd: Average daily sum of global irradiation per square meter received by the modules of the given system (kWh/m2)
    Hm: Average sum of global irradiation per square meter received by the modules of the given system (kWh/m2)

PVGIS (c) European Communities, 2001-2012

This is data for a PV system ie. solar panels producing electricity. It tells you how many units of power a 1 kilowatt solar system will give you over day/month/year.
    You really want the insolation number for your area ie the amount of solar energy falling on your solar thermal (hot water) collectors so refer to the HD and HM numbers. That is the amount of solar power hitting the panels per square meter. You can then get the area of your solar collectors and estimate the power generated to heat your water by multiplying the power per m2 by the total absorber area. The solar energy is converted into hot water by the collector. You will need someone to tell you what thermal energy you need to heat your proposed heating system. Then see if it agrees with what the supplier is telling you.
    Look at month 12 (December) it is 30% of the mid year numbers ie. much less energy to heat your system in Winter.

Hi,

I cant say I understand this and willl have to get someone to explain it to us. The supplier says the output data of their system is 4.644KW per hour per sq meter each day

You can PM me a link to their kit?

[snip]

Mod Note: No direct links. Thanks. By PM only.

• Advertisement

See the early part of this thread. The company is selling a very large solar collector. In the videos (which are complete twaddle) they show a small house with 9 x 12 tube collectors. So hugely over specified. How on earth are you going to control all that solar power in summer when you don't need it? Have you a big enough roof for all those tubes? In the winter you may have several days of no sun so the water temperature will not be hot enough to run radiators. It is madness.
    But please ask for details from the company how the system works and then we can make a judgement. Don't post names here.
    Don't forget there is a great bunch of lads and they bring their own hoover so they must be good.

Advertisement