Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

50/50

• 28-05-2011 7:52pm
    Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,073 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

This is the new one from Jonathan Levine, he directed a pretty enjoyable coming of age movie called The Wackness a few years back. I'm a bit sick of Seth Rogen lately, but with the right material I find him to be pretty good and I'd watch Joseph Gordon Levitt in anything, hell he was even awesome in GI Joe. Fact.

Comments

Early word is great, in fact someone I know who saw the film reckons that were it not for a few gross out humour moments it could easily be up for Oscars next year. I'm avoiding the trailers and even my disdain for all things Seth Rogan hasn't put me off looking forward to seeing this.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,073 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Early word is great, in fact someone I know who saw the film reckons that were it not for a few gross out humour moments it could easily be up for Oscars next year. I'm avoiding the trailers and even my disdain for all things Seth Rogan hasn't put me off looking forward to seeing this.

From watching the trailer my one concern is that Rogen's character might take away from the more serious parts of the film, it looks like a very similar role to what he played in Funny People.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,322 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Joseph Gordon Levitt in then I'm sold ;)

Just wathed this and really did enjoy it. It's not quite the classic that many are making it out to be and it's not a film that I think I would ever be in a hurry to watch again but it's a pleasant 90+ minutes with some fine performances. Rogan is miscast, he's playing the same character we've seen him play a dozen times before. There's great support from the always excellent Philip Baker Hall and Matt Frewer and it's hard not to love Anna Kendrick's character but the real star here is Gordon-Levitt.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,015 ✭✭✭✭adox

Watched this last night. My thoughts, posted on another thread:

"Its been getting really good reviews and it didnt disappoint. Its beautifully played, the comedy is only sprinkled on it really. Joseph Gordon-Levitt is fantastic in the lead role, in fact the whole cast are pretty much spot on, except perhaps Seth Rogen who, although playing quite a one dimensional character, gives a quite wooden performance which sticks out more so, with everyone else delivering so well.

It avoids any overplay on emotion and the heart strings throughout, except for maybe the last 20 minutes, when it really is needed and again is played beautifully and is not over sentimental.

Having had a close family member suffering with cancer in the last couple of years, it was great to see the subject handled in such a "normal" and at times light hearted way.

A small story very well told and beautifully performed, I would highly recommend it."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Just wathed this and really did enjoy it. It's not quite the classic that many are making it out to be and it's not a film that I think I would ever be in a hurry to watch again but it's a pleasant 90+ minutes with some fine performances. Rogan is miscast, he's playing the same character we've seen him play a dozen times before. There's great support from the always excellent Philip Baker Hall and Matt Frewer and it's hard not to love Anna Kendrick's character but the real star here is Gordon-Levitt.

Havent watched this yet, but I'm curious as to how you think Rogen is miscast if he is playing a familiar role (genuine question)?

Jimdagym wrote: »

Havent watched this yet, but I'm curious as to how you think Rogen is miscast if he is playing a familiar role (genuine question)?

Rogan plays the same character in everything, he plays himself and has no range beyond the loud mouth slacker quick with a one liner. The character he plays in 50/50 should be played with a hint of levity and in the hands of a better actor it could have been a great performance but Rogan's performance is one note and uninspired.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,073 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Rogan plays the same character in everything, he plays himself and has no range beyond the loud mouth slacker quick with a one liner. The character he plays in 50/50 should be played with a hint of levity and in the hands of a better actor it could have been a great performance but Rogan's performance is one note and uninspired.

He is very one note, but I think he can be pretty good at that one note, although I haven't seen this yet so can't really comment. Having said that I thought he did a pretty good job playing a borderline sociopath in Observe & report too, nt many people liked that movie apart from me though I think :D

He really needs to start changing his roles up now though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Really top notch

Difficult task from the outset trying to mix comedy with cancer but somehow it's all spot on

Rogan was crucial to the film and provides some of the funnier moments, not to mention that himself and JGL have great chemistry.

He's one dimensional alright but he does the slacker guy role very well and he's very likeable too. An actor playing similar roles never really puts me off, one of my favourite actors is Jackie Earl Rae and he's practically typecast as a paedophile or weirdo in all his films

The humour and more down trodden moments compliment each other very well and I'm not ashamed to say I shed a tear near the end!

One small critique I have is that some parts of the plot were a bit predictable like when
    He meets the attractive therapist it was obvious they would become an item. I was also pretty sure that one of the guys he was getting chemo with would bite the bullet. Obvious enough too that the ex girlfriend was doing the nasty and the relationship was destined to end

Still doesn't take away from the film too much and I was kept guessing about the biggest the film asks
    would he survive?
    I actually thought he was going to die in the end which would have been a bit of a downer

Great film, Joseph Gordon strikes again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

Pretty great. I don't feel like picking it apart. It's funny and endearing yet also quite poignant.

Apparently, the relationship between Joseph whatchamacallhim and Seth Rogen was based on the director's relationship with Rogen in real life. He's currently in the sixth year of his remission

edit: On that note, I wouldn't have thought Rogen was miscast either. If the character was meant to be cast as a self-centered, crass yet somewhat likeable stoner layabout sort of guy then Rogen should surely be the man for the job

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

F*ckin' bawled like a girly girl. I think because of the amazing acting from Joseph. And the subject matter.

Yeah Seth is his usual self, but tones it down a bit and gives the
    'freak out' scene a little more weight.

Thought the chemistry between Adam and Katherine was top notch. Seeing that they were a typical young nervous couple and
    it ended as they were starting. D'aw.

It's a drama/romance by numbers but the acting is sensational from everyone involved that you can overlook it.

9/10.

chin_grin wrote: »
    F*ckin' bawled like a girly girl. I think because of the amazing acting from Joseph. And the subject matter.

Yeah Seth is his usual self, but tones it down a bit and gives the
    'freak out' scene a little more weight.

Thought the chemistry between Adam and Katherine was top notch. Seeing that they were a typical young nervous couple and
    it ended as they were starting. D'aw.

It's a drama/romance by numbers but the acting is sensational from everyone involved that you can overlook it.

9/10.

Good synopsis

I think the subject matter itself (as well as the performances) raises it above the norm too

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Writing as a guy whos girlfriend is 2 months into a 6 month course of chemotherapy i think this movie is fantastic.
    I wasnt sure of it at first, i was actually fearful that it would step on some of the issues we had to face when she was diagnosed. But thankfully it did! That scene when he is getting diagnosed and as the doctor says cancer everything becomes blurred and white noise?
    Wow! Never before have i been able to say i know exactly what that is like in a film. Sure, i didnt get the diagnosis on myself, but thats exactly what i felt.
    I was also concerned that it would be trying very hard to get emotion from the viewer, like most of hollywood when cancer is the subject matter, but it didnt do that either. It let you feel a sincere connection with Adam because it seems that in the movie everyone else around him seems to fall apart, his girlfriend, Kyle, his mother, even Katie at first doesnt really know how to approach him and funnily enough, Adam is the one steady constant for the most part.

Brilliant movie.
    Also, i'm not sure of my view on the outcome of the movie would be skewed as i had seen a tv special about the movie a few weeks ago where
    Seth Rogen and the real Adam, Will Reiser were interviewed and spoke about how its basically his story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

CMpunked wrote: »
    That scene when he is getting diagnosed and as the doctor says cancer everything becomes blurred and white noise

Yeah the other one where he's on the trolley and everything suddenly hits him as he starts to panic.
    (As he's being wheeled in for the operation)
    I was in bits. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭WatchWolf

When he told his Dad that he loved him it got me. I have a grandmother with the same condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

Saw this film a few months ago when it came out in the States. I went with my family and we all really, really liked it. The performances are outstanding. I can really appreciate it now as one of my friends has been diagnosed with cancer and given similar chances of survival. Her biggest request is that we keep things as normal and funny as we always do.

I hope Joseph Gordon-Levitt gets some recognition for this performance come awards season. I know it doesn't really mean anything, but he was really incredible in this film. I actually got to meet him a few weeks after it came in out, in October. He's a really sound guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,015 ✭✭✭✭adox

WatchWolf wrote: »
    When he told his Dad that he loved him it got me. I have a grandmother with the same condition.

Yeah me too. My Dad,who passed away nearly a year ago, had the same condition at the time my sister had cancer. It struck quite a few chords with me.

Sunday Times film critic gave this 3 stars but gave the new twilight 5 this week??!

Jesus I sound like an irked fanboy on RT but in the words of GOB Bluth...COME ON!!

He also mentioned the treatment of the ex girlfriend made counteracted the sympathy felt for the lead. Why though? The ex was a bitch, she cheated and lied and deserved everything that she had coming!

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭The Pooka

Haha, I presume that's Cosmo Landesman? Worst film critic in the world, no kidding! (though his justifications for good/bad reviews do occasionally border on hilarious - I'm convinced he just chooses to always take the contrary view to the common consensus and then has to make up his reasons to fit it)

Loved this movie - I too wept like a girlie girl!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭fullback4glin

Brilliant movie, 9/10. I found one or two things quite predicable but all in all really enjoyable. I thought the fusion between Adam and Kyles character was like mixing Enya with The Prodigy. Amazing.

• Advertisement

Saw it tonight. Great film, was in bits for the last part, the park bench scene onwards more or less. Made me appreciate my health.
    When he found the book, when he told his dad he loved him and when they started giving him the anesthetic hit particularly hard. Glad they went with a positive ending, I wouldn't have been able to handle anything else

If any of my female friends say they're going to twilight I will do everything in my power to get them to watch this instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Saw this last weekend. Feckin' emotional rollercoaster of a movie.

While I'm not Seth Rogen's biggest fan, I think he was key in this film to bring a sort of natural humour back into play having learned of Adam's diagnosis.

The last 20 minutes or so really got me though. Had a few tears in my eyes alright.
    The freak out scene in the car, him calling the therapist, finding the book in Kyle's bathroom, telling his dad he loved him, the panic on Adam's face when he was given the anasthetic. Really emotional moments. I'm delighted they went with the happy ending because if they had let him die I would've been pretty depressed leaving the cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Seen this earlier today. I really enjoyed it. When it was funny, it was funny and when it was serious, it tugged your heartstrings. They pulled it off very well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭crash davis

Very enjoyable and natural flick that didn't overload itself with syrupy sweet or forced moments in order to be affecting. Helped that the leads were so likeable, even fecking Seth Rogen!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Retro Police

Incredible. I wasn't expecting a whole lot going in mainly because of my dislike for Rogen, but it's a hell of an achievment. Obviously the subject matter is sensative for a lot of people but the balance that they manage to strike between laughs and poignant scenes is perfect. It's almost Pixar like in its approach. The great performance from JGL is the norm for him at this stage and Rogen really surprised me in the end - a career role for him.

And sure, many aspects were predictable but the movie wouldn't have worked without them. Ask yourself what you would have thought had those things not happened? An absolute credit to all involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Really great movie, the 2 characters interaction throughout the movie was a good example of how opposites attract with one being boorish and brash while the other was more withdrawn.Some great chemistry between them and gave a convincing account of being good friends through thick and thin.
    Very touching when
    the book on coping with cancer was found in the bathroom,showed Rogen's characters soft side despite his brash exterior.

I defy anybody not to be touched in some way by this movie,it deals with a serious topic in a touching,sometimes funny yet not overly saccherine way which can be leveled at a lot of other movies about the same topic.

Note to those guys who hate chick flicks yet want to score brownie points-bring your other halves to see this.I can even imagine a few tears from some of the fellas aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

Was driving home from the cinema in the car with my brother and he goes " Jesus, I was close to tears for about the last 20 minutes", and as was I, currently recovering from a chronic illlness, and that scene in the car is just intense!, absolutely NAILED what its like to feel utterly helpless, (I done the same thing myself),

only a person who has had an illness like that can understand the way he pushes away the parents. Brilliant balance, seth rogen palying his most mature role yet, felt a great cheery friend to JGL's sad looking expressions and beanie hat, great stuff from both of them

Incredible, Incredible stuff, loved the cinematography, music, acting felt so lifelike, low key. A brilliant back to basics approach, no CGI in sight!
    Also Bryce was looking very well indeed

Better than a month of sequels and superheroes!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,028 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

For the first hour of this movie, I thought it was merely a slightly above average Apatow-style movie. I just couldn't get behind Rogen's character, as he spouted the same idiotic one-liners from all his other films. I thought the treatment of Bryce Dallas Howard's character was simplistic to the extreme. The whole thing also had a very predictable overall arc, and it was clear from the outset why some characters were introduced and what their ultimate resolutions / dramatic role would be. That predictability somewhat diluted the impact of a handful of key scenes for me.

I must admit I warmed to it much more in the final half-hour though. It's more honest, it's more emotionally involving and the dangers seem very real and terrifying. I was also amazed at how good a job Anna Kendrick did - in a role that was potentially one-dimensional, she made her character feel very real without clichéd emotional outbursts. A really lovable character, which means that although there's never any doubt about why she's there, you're still rooting for her. Gordon-Levitt also does a damn good job, although even with the inevitable revelations Rogen's character was still too obnoxious for me to warm to.

Almost a film split 50/50 then. Just another Apatow-style flick on one hand. But it's a surprisingly emotional, warm-hearted and brutally honest mainstream drama on the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I watched 50/50 last night on Netflix. I had been put off watching it because of the subject matter. I couldn't see who a comedy about cancer could be palatable to me, considering the effect cancer has had on my family. But I loved it. Even when I was watching it last night I remember thinking about halfway through that this was really loving this movie.

The comedy was funny and the moments that were meant to be heartfelt worked very well. As has been mentioned already, the scene on the hospital gurney between Levitt and Angelica Huston was very powerful. Great acting from Joseph Gordon-Levitt. That makes it four great movies from that guy I've seen this year (TDKR, Looper, Brick and 50/50). Even Seth Rogen was good in this.

The only slight criticism I'd have of the movie is the over simplification of Bryce Dallas-Howards character. I don't think I've seen Anna Kendrick in anything before. Think I might watch Up in the Air now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement