Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom broadband upgrade plan (IT article)

• 02-06-2005 1:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭

Some curious lines here
    Eircom to extend broadband upgrade plan
    Eircom is extending its network upgrade programme to enable more people to receive broadband and reverse a fall-off in subscribers for high-speed internet.

The company confirmed yesterday that it has introduced a new programme to fix the 22 per cent of phone lines that currently cannot carry broadband services to Irish homes and businesses.

David McRedmond, Eircom's commercial director, said the firm estimated that it could upgrade at least half the lines that currently fail line tests for broadband.

He said engineers would be dispatched to people's homes to upgrade lines if they agreed to make a firm order for broadband.

The new upgrade programme is also being made available for customers seeking a service from rival firms such as BT Ireland.

Up until now, Eircom has been criticised for the high percentage of its lines that are unable to provide broadband services.

Even under the new programme, about 9 per cent of lines will not be able to provide the internet service because these homes and businesses are more than four kilometres from a telephone exchange.

Eircom's upgrade programme occurs as the firm reported a drop-off in the rate of increase in broadband subscribers over the past few months.

About 140,000 people have signed up for broadband that runs on Eircom's network.

© The Irish Times

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭cgarvey

A lot of releases, but nothing firm yet.. sales are still denying all knowledge (I just called there for the craic), and no mention on the web site.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Same with BT. Seems it was a race to get the press releases out and they forgot to communicate the process to the staff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Apparently BT's doing a big drive on customer service (Their massively weak point!) They've a good marketing opportunity to turn over a totally new leaf with a completely new brand. So, I assume they're trying to come across as the good guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭eircomtribunal

This is nothing but the press release for the much heralded "amber" program, which McRedmond talked about at the Galway bb event.
    I find it amazing again and again that even the IT journos fall for the Eircom spin:
    The company confirmed yesterday that it has introduced a new programme to fix the 22 per cent of phone lines that currently cannot carry broadband services to Irish homes and businesses.
    Eircom cannot promise to fix "the 22 per percent of phone lines" that currently cannot get bb, because currently around 40% of lines cannot get broadband (20% are not on bb enabled exchanges, from the ones on enabled exchanges at least 22% fail – and the figure is probably higher in reality)
    David McRedmond, Eircom's commercial director, said the firm estimated that it could upgrade at least half the lines that currently fail line tests for broadband.
    Same here: Eircom can only promise to fix half of the lines that fail of those which are on bb enabled exchanges and not of those which fail the line test. "Upgrading" (in reality cleaning up substandard lines) "half the lines" is not fixing the 22%, it is only fixing half the problem.
    Even under the new programme, about 9 per cent of lines will not be able to provide the internet service because these homes and businesses are more than four kilometres from a telephone exchange.
    What McRedmond said in Galway:line failures will be looked at under the "amber" scheme, but not the lines with carriers, which he said were in 5% to 6% of lines.
    The above statement would indicate a change of policy on the part of eircom, as the article only refers to lines outside the 4km limit as being left out in the cold. I don't think Eircom has changed its mind on the line splitters.

If I remember rightly, and I may well be wrong, Redmond put the figures like this:
    4% of lines too long, - no can do
    5-6% impeded by carriers, -no can do without dosh from gov
    the rest, 11-12% with flaws in the line that would be tackled with amber.

So it seems Eircom has conveniently included the pair gain lines into the lines with distance problems.

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I am sick to my teeth of Eircom claiming that a line of a greater length than 4 km is unsuitable for broadband. The ordinary limit for the ADSL standard is 18000 feet (about 5.5 km) and it seems that telecos like BT in the UK can achieve much more than this. Even if a line was too long by any standard, DSL repeaters can be used at a small cost to Eircom. I estimate that it would be easier to install a repeater than remove a pairgain. But repeaters would make common sense... :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Mr_Man

Eircom's upgrade programme occurs as the firm reported a drop-off in the rate of increase in broadband subscribers over the past few months.

If the rate of increase is plateauing then it will be interesting to see what new offers Eircom will make in July to (re)stimulate demand.

While fixing the lines is a good thing for those who fit the fairly restrictive criteria (and I would also suggest that the cost of fixing the line is an unstated one) I don't believe there is enough potential subscribers in that category to enable the 500k target to be hit.

Big price cuts will be needed, something along these lines would be nice
    The U.S.'s second-largest phone company, SBC Communications Inc.,
    (SBC) announced it would offer high-speed Internet access for $14.95 a
    month for new residential subscribers who order SBC Yahoo! DSL Express,
    making its broadband package cheaper than many competitors' dial-up
    services

M.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Mr_Man wrote:
    While fixing the lines is a good thing for those who fit the fairly restrictive criteria (and I would also suggest that the cost of fixing the line is an unstated one) I don't believe there is enough potential subscribers in that category to enable the 500k target to be hit.
    So you reckon Eircom are worried about take up figures?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭jmcc

This is nothing but the press release for the much heralded "amber" program, which McRedmond talked about at the Galway bb event.
    I find it amazing again and again that even the IT journos fall for the Eircom spin:
    They are still the same old technology journalists. Not really any surprise there.
    What McRedmond said in Galway:line failures will be looked at under the "amber" scheme, but not the lines with carriers, which he said were in 5% to 6% of lines.
    The above statement would indicate a change of policy on the part of eircom, as the article only refers to lines outside the 4km limit as being left out in the cold. I don't think Eircom has changed its mind on the line splitters.

The simple reason for this spin is that NTL is now operational with cable broadband in Galway and Waterford. Thus there is a competitor for Eircom that is not dependent on Eircom's last mile. Furthermore by introducing a voice product later this year, NTL becomes a serious player. NTL's dublin net may be old a patchy but they will eventually upgrade it so that the same services available on the more advanced Waterford and Galway nets will be available in Dublin. And guess where a sizable percentage of Eircom's subscribers live?

Regards...jmcc
    [ObSpeculation] If these tjs keep falling for the same old lines, perhaps it time to get back in the tech news business.[/ObSpeculation]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Does NTL in Dublin not offer everything and more (digital channels) than they do in Galway and Waterford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

paulm17781 wrote:
    Does NTL in Dublin not offer everything and more (digital channels) than they do in Galway and Waterford.
    The infrastructure in many areas of Dublin doesn't allow two-way services like broadband.

• Advertisement

SkepticOne wrote:
    The infrastructure in many areas of Dublin doesn't allow two-way services like broadband.
    Yep. At a local NTL open meeting, it was pointed out that Waterford and Galway are modern nets and have the capability to supply broadband to 100% of the nets. This is a completely different situation to NTL in Dublin where some of the net will require upgrades and investment to reach a standard capable of offering broadband. The bandwidth on the Waterford and Galway nets (TV wise) is apparently 550MHz though I'd have to check notes and accuracy on this.

Regards...jmcc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Some of it is even 800Mhz I think ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Are there already analogue repeaters or amplifiers on the longer lines?
    i.e. could they be causing problems similar to the pairgain issues?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Clanc

So far my line is plain old red - not a hint of any other colour, except maybe blue in the face from getting nowhere with eircom;-(
    As far as I know I'm not too far from the exchange, I live in a new house in a new estate and some of my neighbours within the estate have BB.
    What do they mean by those lines "impeded by carriers" ?
    Could this have an impact on line quality that I would not otherwise be aware of?

Cheers
    Clanc

Clanc wrote:
    What do they mean by those lines "impeded by carriers" ?
    Could this have an impact on line quality that I would not otherwise be aware of?

Cheers
    Clanc
    http://www.eircomtribunal.com/pops/splitter_pop.html
    I know that is vintage stuff now, but still as relevant today as it was in Dec 2002.
    Soon after publishing this we got a call from the regulator asking us to remove the page, as Eircom had "every right to install carriers left, right and centre, just as BT are doing in the UK".

See also: http://www.eircomtribunal.com/dossier_splitter.html

P.

Soon after publishing this we got a call from the regulator asking us to remove the page, as Eircom had "every right to install carriers left, right and centre, just as BT are doing in the UK".
    So much for Comreg being on the side of the consumer. :>

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i am currently, with my freindly engineer trying to get eircom to upgrade my line from red to amber so they can try and see if my line will take broadband as far as i can see there is a small short somewhere on the line. but even though we have measured it as best we can the people in dublin insist i'm over the 4km limit (unless their lines take some weird route out but as far as i can follow the lines they don't) so as far as i can see thats the next excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

I am sick to my teeth of Eircom claiming that a line of a greater length than 4 km is unsuitable for broadband. The ordinary limit for the ADSL standard is 18000 feet (about 5.5 km) and it seems that telecos like BT in the UK can achieve much more than this.
    In an email from the Eircom BB project synergy manager executive officer in charge of BB market - I forget his actual title but anyway he claimed they tested up to 5Km away. A relative of mine has just been successful in getting BB even though he was measured as 5.1Km away from the exchange, so he was close to limit.

• Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

My Sister lives 3.5 Km from the exchange here in Swords . On 3 occasions Eircom Sales personel have called and signed her up for BroadBand . On ALL 3 occasions the orders have been cancelled , not by her but by a mystery person in Eircom .

I believe that the "sales" task force are signing up people who they know will fail in order to boost their revenue and then cancelling the orfders once their commission has been paid ..

Any ideas ?????

Who should we inform of this ???

sharkman wrote:
    Who should we inform of this ???
    Take the time to write an email to our powerful regulator and white knight for consumer protection. Don't go through the complaints procedure they are asking for. Simply tell them the case and ask them to take notice of it and to acknowledge receipt of you email. Their email is consumerline@comreg.ie.

They won't fight the sharks, though – but every little bit helps.
    P.
    shark.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭DonegalMan

Clanc wrote:
    Something I missed the first time around when I read it and only spotted it when I was reviewing these reports recently:

From Sunday Business Post on 'Pittsburgh' project into state of Eircom Network:

Published figures from the company indicate that around 8 per cent of lines have carriers installed. However, a consultancy project involving senior Eircom managers focused on the number of carriers on distribution points. It was found that the carriers caused "hot spots" which could affect all lines running from distribution points, even if the lines themselves did not have carriers installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭ai ing

He said engineers would be dispatched to people's homes to upgrade lines if they agreed to make a firm order for broadband.

Does this mean that people would be forced to order from eircom before they would fix the line, seeing as no other company will take your order unless your line has passed? Is it possible for the other companies to take advantage of this amber stunt?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

ai ing wrote:
    Is it possible for the other companies to take advantage of this amber stunt?

Nominally yes , other resellers apart from Eircom Retail can take advantage of Amber. BT say they do , maybe Digiweb, dunno about the others .

Advertisement