Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harvey Norman poor service

• 09-06-2012 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Bought an LG F1289TD5 washing machine from Harvey Norman in carsick mines with an extended warranty. After just 9 days it is dead, will not turn on at all. Wanted Harvey Norman to give me a replacement but they are refusing until the LG engineer comes out which could take 48 hours (not including the weekend, it died on a Friday).
    So even though I feel something that stops working after 9 days should be considered faulty they won't budge. It will be Monday at the earliest before someone verifies that the machine is dead and then organises a replacement so probably 5 days without a machine and 3 small boys at home.
    This is poor service in my opinion and I would strongly urge people not to buy LG products or anything at all from Harvey Norman.

A very angry customer.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Extinction

Can't see how this is poor service? There could be any number of reasons why its not working and may not be due to any fault with the product. Obviously an engineer needs to have a look at it to confirm what the problem is and this has been arranged.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Mc72ie

Checked all obvious reasons why the machine would not work and all were fine, the machine is simply faulty, can't even report a fault, probably the mother board and if that's faulty then what else could also be wrong with it. My problem is that Harvey Norman who sold the machine are acting like it has nothing to do with them. Good service would be giving me a replacement without fuss and then for them to fight with LG about who's fault it is. I don't think that's unreasonable after 9 days.

Harvey Norman is just a retailer, they can't confirm what the problem and would have to get it checked out first. Its inconvenient for you but fortunately they haven't fobbed you off and have made arrangements. What if an engineer goes out and finds its something you have done yourself rather than a fault? Would you expect a bill for the engineers time or would you expect Harvey Norman to pick up the cost of this? I think they have been reasonable with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭phester28

i disagree, if it can be demonstrated that it is dead in the first few days of purchase then I would think the responsibility is with harveys, surely a repair man may take several days to turn up and then a repair might be the next step, that may take several weeks for a part to be ordered. all which falls under the terms of reasonable amount of time

phester28 wrote: »
    i disagree, if it can be demonstrated that it is dead in the first few days of purchase then I would think the responsibility is with harveys, surely a repair man may take several days to turn up and then a repair might be the next step, that may take several weeks for a part to be ordered. all which falls under the terms of reasonable amount of time

Wouldn't it be replaced rather than repaired once it is confirmed by the LG engineer that it is faulty? Surely a couple of days for a call out is reasonable considering it stopped working on Friday.

• Advertisement

Harvey Norman are not just the retailer, they have a contract with me. I agree that all the things you say are reasonable if after a month the machine stops working, but after 9 days I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt. Short of putting a load of bricks in the drum ( which I'm pretty sure I didn't do) I don't see how this could be considered to be my fault. I just want a working washing machine I'm not trying to pull a fast one.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,051 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Mc72ie wrote: »
    I'm not trying to pull a fast one.

And how are they to know this? You could be anybody, and its completely feasible that you damaged the machine yourself.

No responsible business is going to just accept what every customer says at face value, there are too many examples of customers chancing their arms. They are well within their rights to establish the facts using qualified engineers before making any decision about replacements.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Don't take it personally. Harvey Norman first want to verify that there is indeed a fault. It sucks that it is going to take so long, but that's obviously due to the agreement that Harvey Norman have with LG.

I've heard from friends about a lot of washing machine faults in the first days of use, which are often down to poor installation. Getting the engineer out will give them a chance to look at that aspect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

Why on earth did you buy an extended warranty? These overpriced bits of paper are almost worthless and has no influence on your current situation.

In this situation hn are doing everything properly. They are sending someone out to check the machine and will follow up based on that report. Imagine is the "fault" ended up a broken fuse ? - you'd look foolish then.

sandin wrote: »
    Why on earth did you buy an extended warranty? These overpriced bits of paper are almost worthless and has no influence on your current situation.

In this situation hn are doing everything properly. They are sending someone out to check the machine and will follow up based on that report. Imagine is the "fault" ended up a broken fuse ? - you'd look foolish then.

I explained to HN that I am an engineer, that the machine has power going to it and that it was properly installed. These machines for the benefit of LG are as self diagnosing as possible, if it has power and can't self diagnose then I class that as a catastrophic error and feel that after 9 days that's not good enough.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

you will probably have to wait it out,annoying..in the meantime think of the irritating harvey norman ad,go harvey norman go!

bet ur never going to buy a washing machine there again..

And how are they to know this? You could be anybody, and its completely feasible that you damaged the machine yourself.

No responsible business is going to just accept what every customer says at face value,.

They have my details, the delivery date, the record of the numerous other items I have purchased, none of this is taken into account.

And when I buy something from Amazon they do just that, they take me at my word and give me a replacement within 30 days. Because they care about their reputation.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It doesn't matter at all that you're an engineer, Harvey Norman require the LG engineer to independently validate the fault.

you will probably have to wait it out,annoying..in the meantime think of the irritating harvey norman ad,go harvey norman go!

bet ur never going to buy a washing machine there again..

It'll be NO Harvey NO from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

It'll be NO Harvey NO from now on.
    They might not be too unhappy about that, given that you seem to believe that your demands of them override their obligations to you.

But they would be entitled to be unhappy about your bad-mouthing them on the basis of this experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭BREDNEP

So what do you expect? HN to just take your word for it and just swap it over just because you say so. Then HN are left with a used machine that might or might not have a fault left to sell off. Its unfortunate but LG have the right to look at the machine before they can organise a replacement as the error could be down to you and not the machine.and if it is down to you, You can be charged by the engineer. This is common with kitchen appliances that need to be fitted.. its not poor service its just the way it works and im sure it would have happened the same in currys powercity did etc..:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,642 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

This seems completely reasonable to me.

Hopefully the engineer will be able to repair it on the spot and problem solved!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭quickdraw2

As I am considering buying a LG washing machine from H N this week,
    how did this situation resolve in the end ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

quickdraw2 wrote: »
    As I am considering buying a LG washing machine from H N this week,
    how did this situation resolve in the end ?

5 months since op had his/her little rant and then nothing, Starting to look like it was something simple like a blown fuse and op decided not to eat the proverbial humble pie and update. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Don't buy the extended warranty there's no point.

Make sure your read the instructions when you get a washing machine, there are things you need to do before using it like releasing the drum. This is why when they die within the first few days an engineer has to check it.

• Advertisement

I know to un-do the transit bolts that hold the drum suspension solid for transport.
    I have seen another post regarding the washing machine moving slowly across the kitchen during a wash cycle, I guess they forgot to un-do the transit bolts.
    LG or Samsung washer dryer ?
    I'm still undecided.
    Power Ciry or H N ?

Never buy on brand. Look at what machines they do (from their website or store). Google reviews of that machine. Look at who is offering the best price on the best reviewed machine.

I have selected based on features and price and it looks like the
    Samsung WD1704RJE1 is the winner for my needs.
    I am now looking at the choice of from whom I will purchase the machine.
    The price between all my potential suppliers is (+ or - €30,
    or if i take into account free delivery "Dublin" is even less than that that.
    Good service has to be worth more than €30 price difference.

I have searched for reviews and am happy with what I have read about
    this machine so far.

I am really now trying to find the supplier with the best customer service.

That is unlikely to be a bricks and mortar chain store in Ireland - AFAIK we don't have any John Lewis stores. They're all about on par IMO. Argos would probably be the best in terms of service but all of them are going to point you in the direction of the manufacturers service centre if problems arise.

Basically once you resign yourself to the fact that after a year you will probably have to use the Small Claim Court, it doesn't really matter who you go for.

Personally I've bought most of my stuff from Powercity as the delivery guy was great and my place in a PITA to deliver to.

Another reason
    Samsung WD1704RJE1
    2 years parts & labour,

as the warranty forms part of the contract of sale, does the retailer not have to honor the warranty ?

quickdraw2 wrote: »
    Another reason
    Samsung WD1704RJE1
    2 years parts & labour,

as the warranty forms part of the contract of sale, does the retailer not have to honor the warranty ?

No the warranty is with the manufacturer not the retailer. There may be terms and conditions attached such as a call out charge but it's unlikely with washing machines.

Having the warranty with Samsung/manufacturer is no bad thing, they're much less likely to go bust.

All that said you've longer then 2 years under your statutory rights which a retailer must provide you with a remedy. Few of them will help you beyond the manufacturers warranty hence my comment above about the small claims court. Many will insist you deal with the manufacturer after as little as 30/90 days or 1 year. While it's your right to deal with the retailer - take the path of least resistance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

This is definitely a major issue for the OP and with good reason.

Retailers and their brands, Zanussi, LG, whoever, use contracted service centres and engineers, in other words most shops don't directly employ engineers, plus the warranty, extended or not will outline the procedures for service.

HN are entitled to an official report from an engineer so they can decide what course of action to take.

Once the machine is confirmed faulty, the OP has also got a stronger hand.
    Worth noting also that the OP has asked for a replacement and not a refund, so he is being reasonable enough so far.

There is an issue of goodwill to be considered though for brand and retailer, and perhaps he could politely ask HN to hurry up the service guy due to 3 young children, Monday is a long way off with 3 little men around.

So I think HN could try and speed it up in the circumstances, they will have some sway due to the sheer amount of product they sell............... ask to see the manager, just to get it speeded up.

Breakdowns do happen, brand new cars for example do go wrong (and they are usually repaired, not replaced or refunded).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,423 ✭✭✭weisses

Bepolite wrote: »
    Never buy on brand. Look at what machines they do (from their website or store). Google reviews of that machine. Look at who is offering the best price on the best reviewed machine.

I will buy any Miele any day of the week ................................ If i would have the cash

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭hillbloom

I would buy a Bosch if I had the choice. I definitely wouldn't touch Whirlpool!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭gowley

They have my details, the delivery date, the record of the numerous other items I have purchased, none of this is taken into account.

And when I buy something from Amazon they do just that, they take me at my word and give me a replacement within 30 days. Because they care about their reputation.

a replacement within 30 days!!!!!!!!! and your happy with this from amazon and cant wait 48 hrs for an LG rep to come out. sounds like you have an ulterior motive. im sure harvey will be glad you wont be buying anything off him again

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement