Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pronunciation of Éabha please

• 18-05-2012 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Could I have a little help with the pronunciation of this pretty name. I know it has been covered before but I am not entirely clear on it.

Is it AY-va with ay as in say/day

Or is it AVE-ah with the ave as in gave/rave

Many thanks if you can help

Tara

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Ay va

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Teerah

Thankyou!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Wait, what's the difference between those two? The "a" in gave/rave is the same "a" as in say/day... o.O

It wasnt the "a" sound I was asking about, it was the whole of the first syllable I meant, ie, was it an "ay" sound or an "ave" sound as broken down in the first post

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

AY-AH-VA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

AY-va = AVE-ah

I mean, right? Also, IPA should be a requirement for all future pronunciation threads! (I'm only half-joking.)

Not in my accent they arent ;)

PS what is IPA?

IPA is the International Phonetic Alphabet. It gets around the issue of different people having different accents, and the fact that often in English the same letter can have multiple realisations (as such, using English spelling as an approximation of pronunciation invariably leads to confusion).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Aard wrote: »
    ... using English spelling as an approximation of pronunciation invariably leads to confusion.
    Whereas, for Irish, spelling and pronunciation actually work very well together. If you read a word that you have never heard, you should be able to pronounce it reasonably correctly in your particular dialect.

Not that it's much help to OP, but the perfect answer to the question of how Éabha should be pronounced is "as it's written (provided that you are speaking Irish)".

Thanks for the explanation Aard and for everyones input.

• Advertisement

Whereas, for Irish, spelling and pronunciation actually work very well together. If you read a word that you have never heard, you should be able to pronounce it reasonably correctly in your particular dialect.

Yep! I've always found that to be true. It works the other way too; if somebody tells you a word, it shouldn't be difficult to spell it. Irish spelling is almost completely regular.

If it's Irish pronunciation then Éabha is similar to Fionnuala...
    Fionn-u-a-la
    or in English
    Finn-oo-la

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Cailleachdubh

Ok, how is Éabha like Fionnuala exactly? They have nothing in common pronounciation wise!! :confused:

In English, for some reason, people dont pronounce the underlined below.

Éabha
    Fionnuala
    Caitríona

In Irish it's there to be pronounced.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

In English, for some reason, people dont pronounce the underlined below.

Éabha
    Fionnuala
    Caitríona

In Irish it's there to be pronounced.
    Well, it's a bit yes-and-no. The letters you underline are not given full value as vowels, but they certainly affect how the following consonants are sounded.

The vowel sound in those underlined examples is "schwa". Basically, a short unstressed central vowel. In these cases it forms the second part of a diphthong.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 DeeL34

Depends on where you're from but in Ulster the bh would be pronounced as a 'w' sound as it is preceded and followed by a broad vowel. Therefore it would be pronounced as A (say/day) a (apple) wah

DeeL34 wrote: »
    Depends on where you're from but in Ulster the bh would be pronounced as a 'w' sound as it is preceded and followed by a broad vowel. Therefore it would be pronounced as A (say/day) a (apple) wah

Yes, it's the same as Meadhbh/Meave:
    May-a-wah.

Advertisement