Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Bridge (Bron) [** Spoilers **]

• 18-04-2012 5:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭

Danish/Swedish subtitled drama The Bridge starts on BBC4 Saturday 21st April 9pm-11pm. Showing episodes 1 & 2 of 10.

Eps 1 is repeated on BBC4 Monday 23rd April 11.00pm.
    Eps 2 is repeated on BBC4 Tuesday 24rd April 10.50pm.
    A woman is found murdered in the middle of Oresund Bridge, exactly on the border between Sweden and Denmark. Saga Noren from Malmo CID and Martin Rohde from the Copenhagen police department are called to the scene. What at first looks like one murder turns out to be two. The bodies have been brutally cut off at the waist and joined together - the torso of a high-profile Swedish politician and the lower body of a Danish prostitute. The Swedish and Danish police need to cooperate in a race against the clock, desperately searching for a murderer determined to go beyond all moral limits to get his message across.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01gmbvb
    Nibble tonight’s first two episodes of The Bridge and you will imediately want to devour the whole series. Just be careful not to break your teeth, because this is hard: a tough kernel of a gripping story wrapped in layers of rock. It makes The Killing seem cuddly.

But The Bridge is immensely rewarding: a proper, grown-up thriller dense with characters who aren’t instantly likeable or likeable at all, even after due consideration. Nordic noir fans will love it, and they will fall for its odd, brittle “heroine”, twitchy Swedish detective Saga Noren (Sofia Helin).

Saga isn’t a gimmicky maverick cop; neither is her Danish sidekick, Martin Rohde (Kim Bodnia), a hairy, shambling dad to many children, a mere jokey foil. The pair are thrown together when a body is found in the middle of the Oresund bridge linking Denmark and Sweden. As the joint investigation begins, prepare to enter the murky netherworlds of the dispossessed and the damaged as a determined serial killer decides to right society’s many wrongs.
    http://www.radiotimes.com/episode/qdrch/the-bridge--series-1---episode-1

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2129868/The-Bridge-Icy-blonde-leather-clad--meet-BBCs-new-Scandinavian-crime-sensation.html

I enjoyed watching "Forbrydelsen" (The Killing) and "Spiral" so I am looking forward to this latest scandinavian import.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

That's Saturday nights sorted until the summer!

starts tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭groovie

Anything is better that Inspector Montayawn (imho, ymmv etc). Been looking forward to this since the end of Forbrydelsen and Borgen. I need my danish!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,015 ✭✭✭✭adox

Sky+d. Still to watch Birgen so will finish that first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Are they repeating this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭RichT

Episode 1 repeated this Monday 23rd at 11pm.

Episode 2 repeated this Tuesday 24th 10.50pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,971 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

After watching Forbrydelsen and the first two episodes of The Bridge, I'm now beginning to wonder whether Scandinavian female cops are all barking mad, and in need of constant psychiatric care.
    Anyone recognise the Forybrydelsen perpertrator playing the part of a parent refusing to allow his brain-dead son's heart to be used in a transplant, only to have the heart used anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,618 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

This is probably a silly question but can BBC4 programmes be Sky plused?

Eod100 wrote: »
    This is probably a silly question but can BBC4 programmes be Sky plused?

BBC4 is on the EPG so It must be possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭patrickn

Yes BBC 4 can be SKY+

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭TeRmInAlCrAzY

Wonder if Saga is related to Lisbet?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,618 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Am I right in saying that each Saturday there'll be 2 episodes shown?

Think I read that somewhere but can't find where.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭TeRmInAlCrAzY

Eod100 wrote: »
    Am I right in saying that each Saturday there'll be 2 episodes shown?

Yup

Wonder if Saga is related to Lisbet?

I think they have the same psychiatrist.

Just over a 1,000,000 viewers for the first episode, not bad at all for BBC4 subtitled drama.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,192 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Liked it a good deal...trying not to get too beard strokey about it.

Liked the first scene,
    a pretty ballsy move for the killer to do that. Not too much jurisdiction stuff given the location of the body. Liked the office banter, though wasn't always clear when they were speaking Swedish or Danish and I think sometimes the subtitles were possibly a bit off. Saga (?) is a bit of an amateur pathologist, but I guess you pick up a few notes and skills on the job. Will try not to compare her to Lund. Am guessing the Danish guy - Rhode will probably turn out to have a pretty decent investigative skillset after all.

Thought the car bomb scene was quite effective. Not sure on the other plots, the heart surgery, etc.

Think I'm a bit fed up now of the grey/blue shots of buildings and such. No need to keep turning down the colours.

Bit of a sniffy review in the Guardian re the current slew of imported drama.

Ah that was just a page views/ad clicks special!

I commented on the blue/grey thing myself on the guardians series blog.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,192 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Which page - the link above? Works fine here in different browsers and when logged out of boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭patrickn

I enjoyed the first two episodes. Full of quirky characters and plot similar to the movie seven.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,955 ✭✭✭✭bnt

After the first episode, I'm curious to see where this is going e.g. the idea of
    literally
    splitting the crime between Sweden and Denmark is intriguing, and hints at some larger international political issues. Which may be where that old guy comes in, the one needing the heart transplant.

PS: in case anyone's wondering, that weird building they keep showing is called the Turning Torso, in Malmö on the Swedish side. They're quite proud of it, though it was designed by a Spanish architect.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Advertisement

Bit of a sniffy review in the Guardian re the current slew of imported drama.

The main reason that I watch these programmes is because I get bored sh1tless watching the same old formulaic crap being churned out by the US networks, and then English-speaking networks e.g. those in the UK, trying the same formulaic stuff in an attempt to sell their output to the US.

I'm even glad that I watched that crap Inspector Montalbano, because now that I know what a kip Sicily is, I'd never waste any time or money going there.

The Guardian can feck off with its sniffiness.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

It gripped me anyways for sure. I loved The Killing, but watched and episode of Wallander last week which I thought was quite meh... looking forward to the next installment of The Bridge though.

Saga is a gas character tho, that scene where she
    robitically copped a feel and then went out on the hunt for a fella
    was quite bizarre! Keen to find out where
    the heart transplant guy
    comes into it.

Oh yeah, how many of ye went
    It's the guy from The Killing!!
    I did :)

Tak!

Oh yeah, how many of ye went
    It's the guy from The Killing!!
    I did :)

Tak!

Is that the one mentioned in post No 8 in this thread, or did you spot another one?:p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Is that the one mentioned in post No 8 in this thread, or did you spot another one?:p

same one actually, sorry about that!!

same one actually, sorry about that!!

There's no need to apologise.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,214 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Watched the first 2 tonight, intrigued.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,955 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I wrote my previous comment before I got to the end of Ep.2, at which point
    the old guy got his heart transplant, but died soon afterwards
    - which has left me confused as to where he and his wife fit in to the big picture. Is that a flashback? There are no cues I can recognise to indicate that. It might be related to
    the way she obtained the heart for transplant, by strong-arming the donor's father
    . I could probably look this up on the internet, but it's quite fun to be left hanging like this - good for the suspense.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭BullBauld

I missed the first 2 episodes. Where could I see them now?

Caught up with episodes 3 and 4 now. Spoilers to follow.
    So the killer's a bit of a ninja warrior - in more ways than one, perhaps. Anja, the shoplifter girl, really is quite naive. The apartment she's staying in seems rather sterile, maybe fitting in with the whole ninja thing.

Yes, going in without proper SWAT backup is stupid, but what TV show in this area hasn't done this? The hostage situation was askin to something from 24, but without too much of the time ticking feel to it.

Both leads are likeable. You couldn't help but laugh at Saga's scrotum line - what a way to start a phone call. I'm getting little weary now of newspaper columnists dropping an autism diagnosis on whomever - she may be that way, but she could equally be conversationally dense. Seems daft the way she has to put a round the in the chamber of her gun each time she draws it, at least that's what I assume she's doing as it seems more drawn out than a safety switch click.

Still one or two threads that are detached, but they're generally pulling them in now.

• Advertisement

Episodes 5 & 6

So, Saga's uber directness continues and the actress is playing it very straight.

Spoilers -
    The death of the 14 year old was horrible and yes, she was only kept alive for a cliffhanger dun dun dun. So, Martin's son has the horn for Saga, eh? Bit hypocritical for him to question this after he slept with Charlotte, though it is still a little awkward. I wonder if August's online girlfriend is really a girl.

Sometimes I get a bit confused about what side of the bridge we're actually on. :D

Advertisement