Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Star Trek Convention

• 09-11-2009 9:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Any Star Trek fans out there like myself interested in a Star Trek convention in Ireland? I think the last one was a decade ago!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭AcePuppetMaster

I went to two and they were great. I got to meet Majel Barrett and she signed a picture of the Klingon Bird of Prey sling-shoting around the sun.

Ah, the good old days!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Vague memory of something in Mosney...Star Trek The Experience? Would that be right? I remember imitation transporter panels, Captains Chairs etc.....

I think the ones I went to were in Dublin, one is Malahide and one in Wynnes Hotel in the city center. I also remember the Romulan ale...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Ahh I went to the malahide one, I nearly got my pic taken with Sulu and still have a TOS novelty mug and gorn figurine from that day. Remember watching I Borg in the screening room. Golden memories.

dpedge wrote: »
    Any Star Trek fans out there like myself interested in a Star Trek convention in Ireland? I think the last one was a decade ago!!!

To answer your question nyarlothothep, hell yea, I'd love to see another one. Does anyone know who was involved in the Federation of Ireland (was that what it was called?)? Maybe we could get it started up again or at least do a once off convention? I'm voting to get 7 of 9 in for...ahem...some input form the Borg's perspective. (I hope resistance is futile!) :p

Golden memories indeed. My old bedroom door in my mother's house still has that sticker of Troi saying: "I feel great pain, someone pass me some aspirin!" :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

ye i went to the mosney one years ago as well. no memories though - all smoked away :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

User45701 wrote: »
    ye i went to the mosney one years ago as well. no memories though - all smoked away :(

Prob for the best man ;) Now was it Mosney....or Craggy Island I seen it at....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,982 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

I think the ones I went to were in Dublin, one is Malahide and one in Wynnes Hotel in the city center. I also remember the Romulan ale...:(

I was at the Wynnes Hotel one. Man, that was a long time ago. They showed a video tape of Q Who which was way ahead of the eps seen on TV here at the time. It was great!

I was at the Wynnes Hotel one. Man, that was a long time ago. They showed a video tape of Q Who which was way ahead of the eps seen on TV here at the time. It was great!

Oh yea, it was sooo cool to see Q Who! I really miss the whole experience of it all, the dress up, the games, the laughs, the celebrities etc. It was all great craic!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

feck ya i remember when we used to bo so far behind the US when it came to TV shows!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

There was a horrible horrible horrible star trek club that used to meet in Moore Hotel (Known locally as Hoores Motel) in Cork. Biggest pack of social retards I've ever met. These days people in to Star Trek as far as I can tell are all able to hold a conversation and eye contact, so it could be a great thing to have it happen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭bigdaddyliamo

I went to the exhibition in mosney...good times! I've been saving up egg cartons for the last 10 years on the off chance that I'll need to put together a home made gorn costume...lol:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

I was involved in running a few of the conventions around the country.

We had guests like John DeLancie (Q) and Gates McFadden (Beverly Crusher).

The conventions themselves were great fun, but they took a look of work and also very expensive to run. The number of people that was required to even break-even was very high.

The lack of new episodes to show at a convention is also a major problem.

The fan-run conventions were great fun and very laid back, which is the complete opposite to the corporate events that are now run in the US and the UK.

Perhaps someone could organise a fan-run convention in London as there is a much higher population and with the cheap flights with the likes of Ryanair, is almost as conveniant for most people as one in Ireland.

I also remember the Timewarp convention in Malahide (which I was not involved with running, but which I attended) with George Takei, it was great fun and very well organised.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭shinzon

This comes up every few weeks or months, damon and karen wise along with damons mother annie used to run Federation Europe, the last fan run con by these guys was corkcon with guest bjo trimble, I used to run the waterford club many years ago and was for a short time secretary of federation europe, I resigned due to an unfortuante incident which i dont need to go into

But yes good times, its a shame that corkcon wasnt a success as the following year if the con had of been profitable federation europe was set to stage watcon, my fondest memory was of David prowse being interviewed on our local radio station WLR, and of being on the radio myself with Bjo Trimble

As a previous poster said fan run cons are expensive things, what with guests fees air travel etc etc, so in all likelyhood cons unless there official will never be held in Ireland again, unless someone has a stash of money somewhere

:D

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Irishtrekkie

Simple answer to the money problem would be to get some college societies to do it.

I run one myself , but not a sci fiction one (its a gamesoc) when we host anything from social nights to gaming lans we able to put anything from hundreds of euros up to a couple of thousand for big events.

So if you could get 3 or 4 college based science fiction societies behind a convention it would help alot , plus you get free volunteers and sometimes access to venues you might now not be able to get into.

Also best to make it a general science fiction convention and not just star trek would help with numbers i would think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

There was a horrible horrible horrible star trek club that used to meet in Moore Hotel (Known locally as Hoores Motel) in Cork. Biggest pack of social retards I've ever met. These days people in to Star Trek as far as I can tell are all able to hold a conversation and eye contact, so it could be a great thing to have it happen again.

I used to go there for a while. Yeah there were some over the top weirdos but there were also some nice, down to earth guys.
    Also seeing Voyager/DS9 episodes waaaaaay before airtime made it all worthwhile

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭TVDX

Damien Wise used to run those conventions.
    You could join the Federation Fan club and you got four or five fanzines a year filled with reviews, fan fiction and pictures. It was great.
    The Federation had a seriously thought out rules system for interacting with fan clubs europe wide.
    I went to a convention with no guests but it was showing the first episode of Star Trek : Voyager way before TV here on a tape from UPN.
    I walked straight into a packed out hall watching the episode but it was ten mintues in. So I went out and waited for it to restart. Very special watching it like that.
    Then there were quizzes and auctions going on in another room.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

I went to the Mosney thing, and the convention in Malahide. There was also a big one in the DCU, but I can't remember if that was Star Trek or just sci fi in general? Whatever it was, there was definitely a lot of Trek.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

This thread has made me wanna watch 'Trekkies' again! :D

Gabriel you ****ing legend! :pac:
    180px-Gabriel_Koerner,_Trekkies.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,495 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

jahalpin wrote: »
    I was involved in running a few of the conventions around the country.

We had guests like John DeLancie (Q) and Gates McFadden (Beverly Crusher).

The conventions themselves were great fun, but they took a look of work and also very expensive to run. The number of people that was required to even break-even was very high.

The lack of new episodes to show at a convention is also a major problem.

The fan-run conventions were great fun and very laid back, which is the complete opposite to the corporate events that are now run in the US and the UK.

Perhaps someone could organise a fan-run convention in London as there is a much higher population and with the cheap flights with the likes of Ryanair, is almost as conveniant for most people as one in Ireland.

I also remember the Timewarp convention in Malahide (which I was not involved with running, but which I attended) with George Takei, it was great fun and very well organised.

Hi John,

Even in the UK, there are few fan run Trek conventions any more, the only major one i known of is The Star Fleet Ball, now in it's 16th year.

With new episodes airing on UK TV within days of (or sometimes before) the states, many cons both bother with much of a video program any more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Sebzy

Ah good old RTE Archives warping us back to 1993

https://www.rte.ie/archives/2018/0227/943986-star-trek-boldly-goes-to-malahide/

Think the one in DCU was called Visicon (1996 or 1997) and featured Nana Visitor and Alexander Siddig. Would love more info and pix

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

anyone remember the Star Trek thinge in Mosney?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,707 ✭✭✭Evade

anyone remember the Star Trek thinge in Mosney?
    Yeah. My Mum won tickets in an RTE Guide competition and I got a DS9 style science division top and a commbadge as part of the prize.

Evade wrote: »
    Yeah. My Mum won tickets in an RTE Guide competition and I got a DS9 style science division top and a commbadge as part of the prize.

Nice!

I was delighted i got to sit on Kirks chair on the 1701 Original bridge. Then get to sit on Picards chair. Sat on about seven different captain's chairs. The most comfortable was the chair from Wrath of Khan.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,707 ✭✭✭Evade

Nice!

I was delighted i got to sit on Kirks chair on the 1701 Original bridge. Then get to sit on Picards chair. Sat on about seven different captain's chairs. The most comfortable was the chair from Wrath of Khan.

I was only eight at the time so the only other memories I have of it was having my picture taken on the Enterprise D's transporter pad and the cool models in the shop on the way out. I must see if my Dad still has the pictures.

Evade wrote: »
    I was only eight at the time so the only other memories I have of it was having my picture taken on the Enterprise D's transporter pad and the cool models in the shop on the way out. I must see if my Dad still has the pictures.

Think I was the same age. The transporter pad was cool. Quickly quickly I relaised how bored Chief O Brien must have been

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Sebzy

only took me a few years got get this encoded. Enjoy

Visicon Star Trek Convention Dublin 22-23 June 1996

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0j-rWmNOkDg

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭eadrom

Wow, that's great footage! Thanks for sharing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,416 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Would be great to have another Star Trek convention here maybe in a few years time.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,131 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

Advertisement