Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Irish Banknotes - Ploughmans and Lady Lavery

• 22-07-2008 3:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hey, im new to boards but have found it strange that there are no threads relating directly to the Ploughmans series of Banknotes.

I am a keen collector of all Irish banknotes and im in the process of getting my very own Ploughmans £5 sometime this week. My concern is that although i want to complete my full collection i fear i will never ever get my hands on a Ploughmans £10 banknote, its taken me almost 8 years to get the £5.

If anyone has knowledge in this field please discuss on this thread, as i say i can help with your concerns on these banknotes as i have them all, although i have very little solid knowledge with the worth of each note, again people can inform me of the full range of notes as they seem fit. I woulnt be that accurate in my estimations.

I know the Ploughmans series include the 1,5,10,20,50 and 100 pound banknote although after in depth study i found that all of the 20,50 & 100 notes have been reclaimed and accounted for.

Please add any knowledge, concerns, feedback or related topics here.

Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1m1tless

hi would you know how much the £1 ploughman is worth. thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 ApocalypseAces

Hey Cowboy,
    I bought a Ploughmans pound 6 years ago for €187, it has no cuts, tears or pinholes but has little or no rigidity or crisp in it, its soft and quite grubby looking. I am currently bidding on one of the cleanest plougmans note ive ever seen and its already fetching circa €350 and i imagine its gonna reach between €420 and €500.

If your looking to sell a note, id put it on ebay with good scans or photos and a detailed description. You will have no problem selling it for a good price.

Hey thanks a million for the info. But I dont want to sell it lol I was just wondering! I'd like to keep it for myself ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 upper gweedore

Hey, im new to boards but have found it strange that there are no threads relating directly to the Ploughmans series of Banknotes.

I am a keen collector of all Irish banknotes and im in the process of getting my very own Ploughmans £5 sometime this week. My concern is that although i want to complete my full collection i fear i will never ever get my hands on a Ploughmans £10 banknote, its taken me almost 8 years to get the £5.

If anyone has knowledge in this field please discuss on this thread, as i say i can help with your concerns on these banknotes as i have them all, although i have very little solid knowledge with the worth of each note, again people can inform me of the full range of notes as they seem fit. I woulnt be that accurate in my estimations.

I know the Ploughmans series include the 1,5,10,20,50 and 100 pound banknote although after in depth study i found that all of the 20,50 & 100 notes have been reclaimed and accounted for.

Please add any knowledge, concerns, feedback or related topics here.

Cheers

I have a Royal bank 10 pound ploughman 06/05/1929 no 01RT 000253if you are interested

Hey Upper Gweedore, i would be very interested in this note. Can you upload scanned images and email them to me? You can get me on Gahan01@gmail.com. and fill me in on any information you may have on this note. Hope to hear from you soon. Regards

• Advertisement

I have a Royal bank 10 pound ploughman 06/05/1929 no 01RT 000253if you are interested

Hey Upper Gweedore, i would be very interested in this note. Can you upload scanned images and email them to me? You can get me on Gahan01@gmail.com. and fill me in on any information you may have on this note. Hope to hear from you soon. Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 24 scooby the dog

hello there did you ever sell your ploughmans £10.00

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 aidy84

i have a £1 irish ploughman note.
    its in fairly good condition no rips or tears.
    the date on the note is 10-6-29.
    will be 80years old this year.
    as there bringing out a new coin version this year on the euro i can only imagine its going to be worth alot more.
    please reply if you want to buy this note.
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Anthony O Brien

aidy84 wrote: »

pm sent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 michael_087

aidy84 wrote: »
    its in fairly good condition no rips or tears.
    the date on the note is 10-6-29.
    will be 80years old this year.
    as there bringing out a new coin version this year on the euro i can only imagine its going to be worth alot more.
    thanks
    Hi. have you any pics of your note?

• Advertisement

hello there did you ever sell your ploughmans £10.00
    Hi.
    No I did not sell it yet. Still on the market

Hi.
    I did not get any reply from you re Ploughman. I still have it for sale

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Guys, as per forum charter please conduct any "For Sale" business on www.adverts.ie. Anyone who has an ad open there may link to it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭hblock21

Just wondering about how much would series A £50 & £100 bank notes be worth. My grandmother has one of each of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 dazriel

Hi

My mother has a Ploughmans £10 note and was wondering is there somewhere she can bring it to be valued?

Thanks

Dara

put up a picture here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 pastorbrian

Hello all I am new to this forum but a friend of mine has a 1929 ploughman 5 pound note. It is absoluetly immaculate as it is sealed in a plastic cover. Any one any idea how much it is worth? XXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Hi pastorbrian,

welcome to the forum!

I removed your email address as it would be better to discuss the matter either on thread or per private message (PM).

It may be worthwile to post a picture of the item. Someone may be able to give you an evaluation then.

How much is this worth?

Around the €700 mark wouldnt be too far out, cant make out how bad the stains are from the photo so it could be worth a bit more

• Advertisement

Around the €700 mark wouldnt be too far out, cant make out how bad the stains are from the photo so it could be worth a bit more

Thanks Anthony any idea where I could sell it.

Ebay would be quick and easy but the fees are high, other option is to take it to a dealer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Cathal_Wilson

Hi All,

Please find below are a collection of notes framed, they are in perfect condition, some are uncirculated.

Included are
    100 Pound Note
    50 Pound Note
    20 Pound Note
    10 Pound Note
    5 Pound Note
    1 Pound Note
    10 Shilling Note

They date from between 1968 - 1977

Can anyone tell me what these are worth, where would i go to sell them and who are the reputable dealers in Cork Ireland.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

I've seen these type of things hanging on pub walls,they look like prints.I'm sure someone will be along and able to help

Yeah arnhems right its a poster that has been framed

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭mangledbadgers

Hi all,

Could anyone give me a heads up on today's value of the £1, £5, and £10 ploughman? I'd love to get a £1 some day, but I'd like to know how much I should be spending depending on condition...for exmaple;

Bad to Good Condition
    100e -500e for a £1 Ploughman?

Thanks for advice!

Yeah arnhems right its a poster that has been framed

It doesnt look like a poster as the notes are seperate. Hard to say weather they are prints or original notes tho without having them at hand.

Similar ones on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.ie/FRAMED-A-Series-Lady-Lavery-10-Note-Ireland-Irish-/380066908510?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Paper_Money&hash=item587dc0c95e

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I've been collecting the lavery notes for a couple of years now.

I've never delved into the ploughman world though, the prices just seem too high and i was a little confused by the number of issuing banks.

I havent seen any mention of the different issuing banks for the ploughman notes but I was under the impression that it made a big difference to the price right?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Hi All,

Please find below are a collection of notes framed, they are in perfect condition, some are uncirculated.

Included are
    100 Pound Note
    50 Pound Note
    20 Pound Note
    10 Pound Note
    5 Pound Note
    1 Pound Note
    10 Shilling Note

They date from between 1968 - 1977

Can anyone tell me what these are worth, where would i go to sell them and who are the reputable dealers in Cork Ireland.

Thank you.

Assuming its not a poster...

These prices are very very amateur. I'm an amateur collector not an expert and I dont generally go for uncirculated, but here goes:

100 Pound Note = 800
    50 Pound Note = 600
    20 Pound Note = 350
    10 Pound Note = 250
    5 Pound Note = 150
    1 Pound Note = 80
    10 Shilling Note = 60

I may be way off...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Still 100% convinced this is a pub display of replicas and as such worth very little. If they were mine I would have the frame off by now and we would know for sure. If they are stuck down and genuine their value is already severely diminished and the Central Bank on Dame Street is the best place to bring them; if they are not stuck down they can easily be examined for watermarks and again brought into the Central Bank for verification if there's any doubt. To me, and I only collect notes and coins in a very casual way, the notes are too square, too fresh and are in a typical pub replica display. Please take the frame apart and put me out of my misery! :D

Advertisement